2022 elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: 2022 elections

Unread post by Vrede too »

Trump-backed candidate J.D. Vance wins crucial GOP Ohio Senate primary

Nov will tell us whether Dolt .45 success in this and other primaries is a good thing or not. For now, though, we can take some satisfaction in knowing how fucked up the GQP is.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 8:18 am
Trump-backed candidate J.D. Vance wins crucial GOP Ohio Senate primary

Nov will tell us whether Dolt .45 success in this and other primaries is a good thing or not. For now, though, we can take some satisfaction in knowing how fucked up the GQP is.
Charlie Sykes in his Bulwark related email "Morning Shots" this morning, headlines, "Trumps Gets His Hillbilly Senator"... and then goes on to attribute Vance's primary victory to TFG's late endorsement.

:happy-cheerleaderkid:

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

:angry-banghead: :wtf: :wave: :yawn: :crazy: :lolno: :o :P :shock: Ah, sorry. For a minute there I though I was back in that super secret forum where they all communicated using only emojis. I get mixed up on which of these forums pay me and which ones I have to pay. A pocket full of diamonds serves to mitigate my angst about it. My id on that secret thousand dollar per post forum was 95509 which has no meaning....it's why the forum is secret.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 3:51 pm
:angry-banghead: :wtf: :wave: :yawn: :crazy: :lolno: :o :P :shock: Ah, sorry. For a minute there I though I was back in that super secret forum where they all communicated using only emojis. I get mixed up on which of these forums pay me and which ones I have to pay. A pocket full of diamonds serves to mitigate my angst about it. My id on that secret thousand dollar per post forum was 95509 which has no meaning....it's why the forum is secret.
Just sent you a private message.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I bet if that guy was a Democrat they'd all be howling about voter fraud and critical race theory and not banning some books and somehow it all led to vile murder. Or at least a strong hint of it. sick baby

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 4:06 pm
I bet if that guy was a Democrat they'd all be howling about voter fraud and critical race theory and not banning some books and somehow it all led to vile murder. Or at least a strong hint of it. sick baby
His wife died from too much pot*.

*flower pot

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

:lol: I guess Oz isn't hominy because he's a foreigner. Which is confusing since General Flynn was a Turkish toady for years and Oz likes Turkey on white.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I was leaning towards grabbing a GQP ballot, then I saw the sample ballots for both parties and my inclination became certain. The Dems only have 2 primaries for me:

US House of Representatives District 11 - 6 person field, but Brown/Harvard gay minister and Buncombe County commissioner Jasmine Beach-Ferrara has the money, the endorsements and the experience. I expect her to get the 30% needed to avoid a runoff, or to easily win any runoff.
https://victoryfund.org/candidate/jasmi ... h-ferrara/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_Unit ... istrict_11
https://ballotpedia.org/Jasmine_Beach-Ferrara

US Senate - 11 person field. I hope I don't regret not helping pick the best Dem, but my idea of best Dem and the best Dem to win NC can be very different, anyhow.

Otoh, lots more GQP primaries and thus lots more opportunity to theoretically help Dems. There is a risk that I help the worst RepuQ get seated, though. In races the Dems aren't contesting I'm selecting the better Repub IMO.

US Senate (good riddance Richard Burr) - 14 person field. Trumpette Rep Ted Budd has a huge lead over former Gov Pat McCrory.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -7546.html
Fine with me, McCrory would be harder to beat in Nov, and Budd won't be able to wash off the 45SHOLE stench. I think I'll vote for distant 3rd Mark Walker in order to make them both look weaker, but may end up voting for Budd.

US House of Representatives District 11 - MadCaw may be the only RepuQ that Beach-Ferrara or any Dem can beat here.

North Carolina Supreme Court
Seat 3 - neither RepuQ nor Dem has primary opposition.
Seat 5
Sam Ervin IV (D), incumbent, has no primary opposition.
RepuQs:
Victoria Prince is irrelevant.
April C. Wood is an Appeals Court Judge and a woman.
Trey Allen has a strong resume, but no judicial experience. He gets my vote in order to help out Sam Ervin.

NC Court of Appeals Judge
Seat 8 - neither RepuQ nor Dem has primary opposition.
Seat 9
Brad Salmon (D), no primary opposition.
Republican Donna Stroud is the incumbent, so I'm voting for Beth Freshwater Smith in order to help out Brad Salmon.
Seat 10 - neither RepuQ nor Dem has primary opposition.
Seat 11
Darren Jackson (D) - incumbent, has no primary opposition.
RepuQs:
Michael Stading is a judge of the North Carolina 26th Judicial District.
I'm voting for Charlton L. Allen, who has no judicial experience in order to help out Darren Jackson.

NC House of Representatives District 117:
Michael O'Shea (D) has no primary opposition. Any Dem is unlikely to win.
2 RepuQ women are running, both with significant community involvement. So, I'm voting for inept campaigner and wingnut Dennis Justice on the off chance that he wins and then flops in Nov.

Races the Dems aren't contesting, so I'm voting for the Nov winner barring entry by petition:

29B Judicial District
Both awful. With no Dem running I'll choose the one that does not claim the RWNJ dog whistles - "conservative Christian", homeschooler. Voting for Jason R. Hayes.

42nd Prosecutorial District Attorney
Andrew Murray, incumbent, is a Dolt .45 appointee to be U.S. Attorney and he brags about his Dolt .45 connections. So, I'm voting for the former deputy prosecutor for 12 years in Hilo, Hawaii, Mary Hollocker. Maybe some of that aloha rubbed off on her.

Henderson County Board of Commissioners District 1
J. Michael Edney, incumbent, seems slightly more progressive on some issues and I don't have a good reason to replace a County Commissioner with a school board member.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

All active registered voters in California get a ballot mailed to them. It's not the most voter-friendly ballot in the world, though, because a LOT of people run for office. Twenty-six for Governor. That would be the real Governor, Gavin Newsom, plus 25 wanna/nevergonnabe's such as Bradley Zink "Childrens book Author", Robert Newman II,"Farmer/Psychologist", Louis Rodriguez "Writer/poet", a few "entrepreneurs", some "small business owners", and one "Homelesness policy advocate."

Then, you can turn in your ballot (a) by mail in the postage-paid envelope; (b) any one of many official drop box locations, including, for example, the Oceanside Library, outside the grocery store, at designated churches; (c) vote in person. Ballots are also printed in Spanish, Filipino, Vietnamese, and Chinese.

Meanwhile, mail-in voting continues to be severely restricted in Texas, Georgia, and Desantistan as well as ballot collection points and polling locations being reduced. All the while, the tattered remains of the Voting Rights Act are being recycled as toilet paper in the Congressional washrooms.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

This could be worth watching.

Every time I think NC is getting more purple I've been disappointed. Dem wins are too far and few. Maybe the women will mobilize.

In N.C., a Black woman brings up abortion in Senate run. Her Trump-backed rival doesn't.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 12:09 am

Every time I think NC is getting more purple I've been disappointed. Dem wins are too far and few. Maybe the women will mobilize.

In N.C., a Black woman brings up abortion in Senate run. Her Trump-backed rival doesn't.
14 person Dem field, I wish Cheri Beasley well. Interesting that she's running. Many people would consider chief justice of the North Carolina Supreme Court to be a career pinnacle.

Edit: Never mind, she lost an North Carolina Supreme Court election by 401 votes in 2020. :(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheri_Bea ... al_service

I have been seeing Budd, McCrory and Burrill RepuQ Senate ads here, but not any Dem ones other than Jasmine Beach-Ferrara for NC 11 ads. Money must be spread out and there are better Dem markets for TV across the state.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

GoCubsGo wrote:

Yeah, "disappointment" is synonymous with North Carolina, whether it's the sports teams or politics. But the political problem in NC is still because they let the people outside the cities breed and vote.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 12:30 am
Yeah, "disappointment" is synonymous with North Carolina, whether it's the sports teams or politics. But the political problem in NC is still because they let the people outside the cities breed and vote.
Beasley is the Dem frontrunner by a very wide margin, +33%. It looks like she'll clear the 30% total needed to avoid a runoff.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -7600.html
No wonder she's saving her money.

Trumpette RepuQ Budd would beat her by 7%.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -7588.html
:angry-banghead:

Former RepuQ Gov McCrory would lose to her by 5%.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -7589.html

I'd consider voting for McCrory tomorrow, but Budd is stomping him by 18%.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -7546.html
I think I'll stick with the 3rd place also-ran.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 12:30 am
GoCubsGo wrote:

So, what would be your solution?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:37 am
I was leaning towards grabbing a GQP ballot, then I saw the sample ballots for both parties and my inclination became certain. The Dems only have 2 primaries for me:

... Otoh, lots more GQP primaries and thus lots more opportunity to theoretically help Dems. There is a risk that I help the worst RepuQ get seated, though. In races the Dems aren't contesting I'm selecting the better Repub IMO....
Done. I am now a "proud" MadCaw voter.
:happy-cheerleaderkid:

I've talked about voting in a GQP primary forever. Some of this was to piss off supsalemgr :twisted: . However, I think I've only done it a couple of times, the Dems usually have interesting races for me. Have y'all ever voted in a GQP primary?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 12:07 pm

I've talked about voting in a GQP primary forever. Some of this was to piss off supsalemgr :twisted: . However, I think I've only done it a couple of times, the Dems usually have interesting races for me. Have y'all ever voted in a GQP primary?
In Henderson County if you care about local government you pretty much have to.

Mostly it was about voting for the less of the evils. Once upon a time I was a Chuck McGrady supporter until he went to the dark side (not wingnut dark, more like big business dark).
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I've never voted in any primary.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 12:20 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 12:07 pm

In Henderson County if you care about local government you pretty much have to.

Mostly it was about voting for the less of the evils.
Yup. Still, I kinda felt like a spy asking for and marking a GQP ballot. :thumbup:
Once upon a time I was a Chuck McGrady supporter until he went to the dark side (not wingnut dark, more like big business dark).
Yup. That and GQP leadership dark. He hated that I accurately called him out for voting racist and anti-democratic. It wasn't just my opinion, the courts said so about his ilk over and over and his GQP cost us a ton of money in the process.
1312. ETTD.