Ex President* Trump

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Ex President* Trump

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:34 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:28 am
Truth once again being stranger than fiction.

I think he wants to open internment camps.
Would this be a viable option for the Jan 6 and other Trumpettes including TRE45ON himself?
😁
Jail.jpg
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:

Would this be a viable option for the Jan 6 and other Trumpettes including TRE45ON himself?
nope, camps are only for the antimagas

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2022/7/2 ... artial-law

"In summary, Trump wants mass executions over drugs, mass incarceration for the poor, and unlimited authority for the police. That’s his formula for America. Then the cities will be beautiful. Like in China.

Repeatedly, as he was expressing his love for law and order, Trump simply ignored the fact that he had encouraged his followers to join in a violent riot in which people died, and hundreds of police were injured. He also ignored how he planned and executed that assault in service of a coup plot designed to utterly grind any concept of “law” into the dust.

But wait. It gets better.

Nowhere was the irony level more skull-crushingly high than when clear when Trump actually started talking about calling out the National Guard. “Where there is a true breakdown of law and order,” said Trump, “… then the federal government should send the National Guard to restore order and secure the peace without having to wait for the approval of some governor that thinks it’s politically incorrect to call them in.”

In addition to removing governors from the loop so that the whole National Guard would become his personal police force, nowhere—nowhere—did Trump mention that when he had the opportunity to call in the National Guard to halt the assault on the Capitol, he refused to take that action. It fell to Mike Pence to finally get the Guard moving, while Trump sat in the White House dining room, flinging ketchup on the walls and fretting that his insurgents weren’t able to actually hang anyone.

Trump openly described a nation in which he would be in sole charge of a national police force, police would be exempt from the consequences of their actions, execution would be carried out immediately, following “a very quick trial,” and millions of Americans would be confined in internment camps without ever being charged with a crime.

That’s what he’s selling. It’s not about “law and order,” which interests Trump not at all. It’s about authority and brutality.

But the most horrible thing is, there are buyers."
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Trump's "internment camps" for the homeless sound pretty awful until/unless you compare it to how the homeless are treated now. But I didn't read the details, if any. I'm sure there are some devils in there.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:58 pm
Vrede too wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:

nope, camps are only for the antimagas

https://m.dailykos.com/stories/2022/7/2 ... artial-law

"In summary, Trump wants mass executions over drugs, mass incarceration for the poor, and unlimited authority for the police. That’s his formula for America. Then the cities will be beautiful. Like in China...."
I keep having these fantasies that Garland is a seething mass of barely restrained rage and that one day something minor will push him over the edge and he will explode with a level of crushing vindictiveness rarely seen in the history of the planet applied towards stomping Trumpettes.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

I guess this Hail Mary is food for his base, but c'mon.

The rest of the world will be rightfully make him the butt of even more jokes.

Trump notifies CNN of 'intent to file' defamation lawsuit regarding his unproven election claims
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

viewtopic.php?p=172278#p172278

I'm not dissing you for posting in this apt thread, it's just that if I'm going to mock Solar I want to do it in the forum he or his minions are most likely to lurk in.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:22 pm

I'm not dissing you for posting in this apt thread, it's just that if I'm going to mock Solar I want to do it in the forum he or his minions are most likely to lurk in.
👍

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:22 pm

CNN has got to be petrified. She's a lioness on a mission. 🙄

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:04 am
CNN has got to be petrified. She's a lioness on a mission. 🙄
Lindsey R. Halligan, Associate Attorney

Practice Areas: First Party Property
Here's a description of First Party Property from a different practice:
OVERVIEW
Basically insurance claims, either plaintiff or defending the insurer. :headscratch: Would not be a typical first choice for a major libel claim against a team of 1st Amendment lawyers. Her "qualification" is probably a willingness to do something so dumb. Back to her bio:
Lindsey has donated her time to public service, working as a certified legal intern at both the Miami-Dade Public Defender's Office, which provides counsel for indigent persons who are unable to pay for a private attorney, and the Miami Innocence Clinic, which provides counsel to help exonerate wrongly convicted individuals.
That's cool. Here's the best part:
Law School: University of Miami Law School, J.D.
:lol: O Really.

Related:
viewtopic.php?p=172360#p172360
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:17 am

That's cool. Here's the best part:
Law School: University of Miami Law School, J.D.
:lol: O Really.

Well, she's an associate who hasn't yet made partner in a large firm, but she hasn't been tossed or relegated to the purgatory of "senior associate" or something either. No way to tell if she's a true cultist or just trying to upgrade her profile in a very foolish stunt. I don't think this is going to help.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:38 am
Well, she's an associate who hasn't yet made partner in a large firm, but she hasn't been tossed or relegated to the purgatory of "senior associate" or something either. No way to tell if she's a true cultist or just trying to upgrade her profile in a very foolish stunt. I don't think this is going to help.
Admitted to the Bar in 2014, so has been with this firm for a max of 8 years. Is she progressing slowly to not yet be a partner?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:56 am
O Really wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:38 am
Admitted to the Bar in 2014, so has been with this firm for a max of 8 years. Is she progressing slowly to not yet be a partner?
Partner is typically a 5-7 year journey, depending on a variety of factors. But it looked like she spend at least a couple of years with the public defender office. In any case, she's approaching her associate pull date. I don't know anything about that firm, but I'd think that most firms wouldn't want their highest profile case to be chasing windmills on behalf of a discredited Trump.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:55 pm
Partner is typically a 5-7 year journey, depending on a variety of factors. But it looked like she spend at least a couple of years with the public defender office. In any case, she's approaching her associate pull date. I don't know anything about that firm, but I'd think that most firms wouldn't want their highest profile case to be chasing windmills on behalf of a discredited Trump.
Thanks. Do long term associates get fired?

Could be she wouldn't take this step without the full approval of the equally wingnutty partners?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

In the big firms, an associate is generally expected to make partner within about 7 years or move on. It's not a career-ending move, though, as many would find a good fit with smaller or just different firms, in corporations (who might have been their clients), or in some cases starting their own practice. And some firms do have roles for perpetual associates who may be skilled at handling cases but not so good at rainmaking.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Monday.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:14 pm
Monday.
Comprehensive article including full Milley text:
Inside the War Between Trump and His Generals
How Mark Milley and others in the Pentagon handled the national-security threat posed by their own Commander-in-Chief.

... It turned out that the generals had rules, standards, and expertise, not blind loyalty. The President’s loud complaint to John Kelly one day was typical: “You fucking generals, why can’t you be like the German generals?”

“Which generals?” Kelly asked.

“The German generals in World War II,” Trump responded.

“You do know that they tried to kill Hitler three times and almost pulled it off?” Kelly said.
:lol: :---P
But, of course, Trump did not know that. “No, no, no, they were totally loyal to him,” the President replied. In his version of history, the generals of the Third Reich had been completely subservient to Hitler; this was the model he wanted for his military. Kelly told Trump that there were no such American generals, but the President was determined to test the proposition....

Early on the evening of June 1, 2020, Milley failed what he came to realize was the biggest test of his career: a short walk from the White House across Lafayette Square, minutes after it had been violently cleared of Black Lives Matter protesters. Dressed in combat fatigues, Milley marched behind Trump with a phalanx of the President’s advisers in a photo op, the most infamous of the Trump Presidency, that was meant to project a forceful response to the protests that had raged outside the White House and across the country since the killing, the week before, of George Floyd. Most of the demonstrations had been peaceful, but there were also eruptions of looting, street violence, and arson, including a small fire in St. John’s Church, across from the White House.

In the morning before the Lafayette Square photo op, Trump had clashed with Milley, Attorney General William Barr, and the Defense Secretary, Mark Esper, over his demands for a militarized show of force. “We look weak,” Trump told them. The President wanted to invoke the Insurrection Act of 1807 and use active-duty military to quell the protests. He wanted ten thousand troops in the streets and the 82nd Airborne called up. He demanded that Milley take personal charge. When Milley and the others resisted and said that the National Guard would be sufficient, Trump shouted, “You are all losers! You are all fucking losers!” Turning to Milley, Trump said, “Can’t you just shoot them? Just shoot them in the legs or something?”

Eventually, Trump was persuaded not to send in the military against American citizens. Barr, as the civilian head of law enforcement, was given the lead role in the protest response, and the National Guard was deployed to assist police. Hours later, Milley, Esper, and other officials were abruptly summoned back to the White House and sent marching across Lafayette Square. As they walked, with the scent of tear gas still in the air, Milley realized that he should not be there and made his exit, quietly peeling off to his waiting black Chevy Suburban. But the damage was done. No one would care or even remember that he was not present when Trump held up a Bible in front of the damaged church; people had already seen him striding with the President on live television in his battle dress, an image that seemed to signal that the United States under Trump was, finally, a nation at war with itself. Milley knew this was a misjudgment that would haunt him forever, a “road-to-Damascus moment,” as he would later put it. What would he do about it?

In the days after the Lafayette Square incident, Milley sat in his office at the Pentagon, writing and rewriting drafts of a letter of resignation. There were short versions of the letter; there were long versions. His preferred version was the one that read in its entirety:
I regret to inform you that I intend to resign as your Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Thank you for the honor of appointing me as senior ranking officer. The events of the last couple weeks have caused me to do deep soul-searching, and I can no longer faithfully support and execute your orders as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. It is my belief that you were doing great and irreparable harm to my country. I believe that you have made a concerted effort over time to politicize the United States military. I thought that I could change that. I’ve come to the realization that I cannot, and I need to step aside and let someone else try to do that.

Second, you are using the military to create fear in the minds of the people—and we are trying to protect the American people. I cannot stand idly by and participate in that attack, verbally or otherwise, on the American people. The American people trust their military and they trust us to protect them against all enemies, foreign and domestic, and our military will do just that. We will not turn our back on the American people.

Third, I swore an oath to the Constitution of the United States and embodied within that Constitution is the idea that says that all men and women are created equal. All men and women are created equal, no matter who you are, whether you are white or Black, Asian, Indian, no matter the color of your skin, no matter if you’re gay, straight or something in between. It doesn’t matter if you’re Catholic, Protestant, Muslim, Jew, or choose not to believe. None of that matters. It doesn’t matter what country you came from, what your last name is—what matters is we’re Americans. We’re all Americans. That under these colors of red, white, and blue—the colors that my parents fought for in World War II—means something around the world. It’s obvious to me that you don’t think of those colors the same way I do. It’s obvious to me that you don’t hold those values dear and the cause that I serve.

And lastly it is my deeply held belief that you’re ruining the international order, and causing significant damage to our country overseas, that was fought for so hard by the Greatest Generation that they instituted in 1945. Between 1914 and 1945, 150 million people were slaughtered in the conduct of war. They were slaughtered because of tyrannies and dictatorships. That generation, like every generation, has fought against that, has fought against fascism, has fought against Nazism, has fought against extremism. It’s now obvious to me that you don’t understand that world order. You don’t understand what the war was all about. In fact, you subscribe to many of the principles that we fought against. And I cannot be a party to that. It is with deep regret that I hereby submit my letter of resignation.
... Milley decided to apologize in a commencement address at the National Defense University that he was scheduled to deliver the week after the photo op. Feaver’s counsel was to own up to the error and make it clear that the mistake was his and not Trump’s. Presidents, after all, “are allowed to do political stunts,” Feaver said. “That’s part of being President.”

Milley’s apology was unequivocal. “I should not have been there,” he said in the address. He did not mention Trump. “My presence in that moment, and in that environment, created a perception of the military involved in domestic politics.” It was, he added, “a mistake that I have learned from.”

At the same time, Milley had finally come to a decision. He would not quit. “Fuck that shit,” he told his staff. “I’ll just fight him.” The challenge, as he saw it, was to stop Trump from doing any more damage, while also acting in a way that was consistent with his obligation to carry out the orders of his Commander-in-Chief. Yet the Constitution offered no practical guide for a general faced with a rogue President. Never before since the position had been created, in 1949—or at least since Richard Nixon’s final days, in 1974—had a chairman of the Joint Chiefs encountered such a situation. “If they want to court-martial me, or put me in prison, have at it,” Milley told his staff. “But I will fight from the inside.”

... Milley put away the resignation letter in his desk and drew up a plan, a guide for how to get through the next few months. He settled on four goals: First, make sure Trump did not start an unnecessary war overseas. Second, make sure the military was not used in the streets against the American people for the purpose of keeping Trump in power. Third, maintain the military’s integrity. And, fourth, maintain his own integrity. In the months to come, Milley would refer back to the plan more times than he could count....

As soon as he’d heard about Esper’s ouster, Milley had rushed upstairs to the (Defense) Secretary’s office. “This is complete bullshit,” he told Esper. Milley said that he would resign in protest. “You can’t,” Esper insisted. “You’re the only one left.” Once he cooled off, Milley agreed....
Lots, lots more at the link. If true and not self-serving in whole or part:
We came thaaat close to rivers of blood in US streets, and the reaction to it;
We nearly has a fascist takeover of govt;
We nearly has a post-election coup;
A second TRE45ON term would have been disastrous;
A second TRE45ON term will be disastrous;
Kudos to Milley and all the other refuseniks! :-||
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Maybe a really bad Monday. :oII

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Trump said: 'It is prosecutorial misconduct, the weaponization of the Justice System"

Well to his credit, maybe he learned this after he left office.