Cawthorn

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Ulysses
Vice admiral

Re: Cawthorn

Unread post by Ulysses »

I'm so grateful California hasn't produced anyone quite as embarrassing as Madison Cawthorne.

On the other hand, we did give the world Ronald Reagan. There is that.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:06 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:49 pm
Cool, CNN just ran a nice piece on WNC's favorite son.
ABC is paying close and unfavorable attention, too. Mad denies everything despite on-the-record accusations from many students at the Christian college.
There's audio of the gaslighter lying about his car wreck and being "dead".

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/01/politics ... index.html
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ulysses wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:47 pm
I'm so grateful California hasn't produced anyone quite as embarrassing as Madison Cawthorne.

Darrell Issa
Devin Nunes
Duke Cunningham
Kim Kardashian

Mad is bad, but he's just a poser compared to them.

Besides, NC will always have Jesse Helms.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

No reason for California to be embarrassed over Kim Kardashian any more than any other entertainer. Unless you believe her persona is real. Besides, she's not running for office yet. But even Sonny Bono, who was ridiculed a bit when he first ran, was way better qualified than Mad, including being mayor of Palm Springs. I'll bet there hasn't been a less qualified person in Congress for over a hundred years or more.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:26 pm
No reason for California to be embarrassed over Kim Kardashian any more than any other entertainer. Unless you believe her persona is real. Besides, she's not running for office yet. But even Sonny Bono, who was ridiculed a bit when he first ran, was way better qualified than Mad, including being mayor of Palm Springs. I'll bet there hasn't been a less qualified person in Congress for over a hundred years or more.
Boebert or Greene? Mad did work for Meadows.

Anyhow, I responded to "embarrassing", not lack of qualifications.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
It should be noted that the most embarrassing politicians in California hail from the southern part of the state. Which traditionally has been more conservative and Republican than the more liberal north.

Of course we did have our nut jobs. I'm thinking of Dan White, the former cop turned supervisor who murdered Mayor Moscone and Supervisor Milk in cold blood when they wouldn't agree to reappoint him to the Board of Supervisors after he had resigned for financial reasons. I had been living outside San Francisco for about a decade when this happened, but I was well aware that the City had some rather conservative districts that abhorred the more liberal neighborhoods like the Haight-Ashbury near where I grew up. And, when the murders occurred, I was out of the country on a "Gringo Trail" type excursion to Guatemala/Mexico. I remember seeing the headlines in a small hotel in Mexico, flying back to SF not really understanding it all, and making my way downtown to take a bus back to Berkeley where I lived at the time. It was not the City I had left. Grim and desolate. It has since recovered, more or less.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:18 pm
O Really wrote:
Boebert or Greene? Mad did work for Meadows.

Anyhow, I responded to "embarrassing", not lack of qualifications.
I don't want to argue that Greene is "qualified" for Congress, but she does have a business degree from Georgia and some business experience.
Boebart is pretty much as looney and unqualified as Maddy. Scary to think those people can actually get elected.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Ulysses wrote:

He turned out better than expected, but the complete idiocy of the American voter was front and center electing a movie character - the Governator.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:53 am
Ulysses wrote:

He turned out better than expected, but the complete idiocy of the American voter was front and center electing a movie character - the Governator.
Oh, yes, I forgot all about Arnold. California has had some wild swings in the Governor's mansion: Reagan, then "Psychic Pay" Jerry Brown, then Arnold, and now Gavin. If I missed any it's probably because they are not missed.

O Really
Admiral

It was crazy to elect a movie character, but he wasn't bad for a Repug.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:58 am
It was crazy to elect a movie character, but he wasn't bad for a Repug.
Ahnuld was largely deadlocked and ineffective as Gov, if I recall correctly. He has been a pretty good "sane Repub" since.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:17 am

Ahnuld was largely deadlocked and ineffective ...
That's the best kind of Republican, or you can just delete the "locked" part. ;)

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Ready.... :bs: :sad-roulette: :sick:

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:21 am

I don't think Trump has any "real friends" either.

Cawthorne probably has some persistent brain injury from that wreck, which resulted in his repeated fabrications and lies, and not just about the accident.

I'm not aware that Trump has a similar excuse for his many fabrications and lies.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

That clip was done less than an hour before Madison removed his own appendix with authentic and rusty Civil War medical instruments.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:21 am

Lots of support for Jasmine Beach-Ferrara from NC and around the nation:
https://twitter.com/jbeachferrara/statu ... 6425976833
You forgot accused sexual predator
And serial liar.
He’s overcompensating because deep down he knows that his wheel chair is not ever going to be fully allowed in the master race. If he outlives his purpose they will wheel his ass right into a furnace
Whoa.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Cawthorn's got real support from a few hard-rightests, tepid, possibly reluctant, support from a lot of people who just click (R), and no support from anybody else. There's a fair chance he could be replaced, but it's going to take some of those (R) clickers to do it. I don't think Jasmine is the one to pull those votes.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:52 am
Cawthorn's got real support from a few hard-rightests, tepid, possibly reluctant, support from a lot of people who just click (R), and no support from anybody else. There's a fair chance he could be replaced, but it's going to take some of those (R) clickers to do it. I don't think Jasmine is the one to pull those votes.
You may well be correct. Though by most standards his opponent this cycle was pretty moderate and got trounced.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

😁

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:59 am
O Really wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:52 am
You may well be correct. Though by most standards his opponent this cycle was pretty moderate and got trounced.
Yes, and maybe the district is so mis-engineered that nobody other than some (R) is going to win. But still, to have any chance, it's got to be somebody that a few repugs are willing to vote for. And not enough voted for Cawthorn's opponent, a realtor, NRA member and literate female.