Marjorie Taylor Greene WTF?

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Marjorie Taylor Greene WTF?

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:13 pm
:puke-left: :puke-left:

I about tossed my cookies.
I want it, too.

Palin would lose her "Worst Ever" position.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Semi-serious question: When did having zero qualifications become a realistically viable/desirable qualifier for political candidates? I know that for many years some people, mainly Repugnants, have fantasized about the wonderful "non-politician", the person who will "run the damgummint like a business" and who isn't a political "insider." But for the most part, those who actually got elected had more applicable experience or qualifications than it might appear. Even Palin, totally unprepared for prime time, served on the city council for many years and then as mayor before becoming governor. Gohmert may play the fool, but he's got a legit law degree and was a judge. People chuckled at Congressman Sonny Bono, but he had served a very effective 4 years as mayor of Palm Springs. Then somewhere along the line we started getting the MTG's, the Boeberts, and godforbid the Cawthorns. Uneducated, inexperienced in anything applicable, unwilling and incapable of doing anything to be effective.

Easy answer might be "Trump" but he may just have made ignorance and lack of qualifications more acceptable, holding only one required qualifiation - be a Trumper. On the other hand, the Governator was elected solely on name recognition, but probably would not have won in a typical (non-recall) election. It's gotten way worse all the time, though. The Repugnant who is hoping (from 18 points down) to boot WA Dem Senator Patty Murray literally claims her qualifications are "I moved 8 times with 3 toddlers and a blind husband - I think I've got this." We are all truly doomed.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

How come she's never with her husband?

Methinks she wants some of the mushroom man.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:04 pm
We are all truly doomed.
Yep.

We love the uneducated.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:42 pm

If it's all the same to you, I would rather not think about Dolt .45's dick :puke-left: . Wow, he must have put on 50 pounds since the WH. How does he even find that mushroom?
:think: -0-? Maybe in GA with the 3 kids? Or, maybe they're all out of the house by now?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:19 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:42 pm

If it's all the same to you, I would rather not think about Dolt .45's dick :puke-left: . Wow, he must have put on 50 pounds since the WH. How does he even find that mushroom?
:think: -0-? Maybe in GA with the 3 kids? Or, maybe they're all out of the house by now?
I was trying to phrase it nicely without a visual. :lol:

He was already a tub of goo.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Semi-serious question: When did having zero qualifications become a realistically viable/desirable qualifier for political candidates? I know that for many years some people, mainly Repugnants, have fantasized about the wonderful "non-politician", the person who will "run the damgummint like a business" and who isn't a political "insider." But for the most part, those who actually got elected had more applicable experience or qualifications than it might appear. Even Palin, totally unprepared for prime time, served on the city council for many years and then as mayor before becoming governor. Gohmert may play the fool, but he's got a legit law degree and was a judge. People chuckled at Congressman Sonny Bono, but he had served a very effective 4 years as mayor of Palm Springs. Then somewhere along the line we started getting the MTG's, the Boeberts, and godforbid the Cawthorns. Uneducated, inexperienced in anything applicable, unwilling and incapable of doing anything to be effective.

Easy answer might be "Trump" but he may just have made ignorance and lack of qualifications more acceptable, holding only one required qualification - be a Trumper. On the other hand, the Governator was elected solely on name recognition, but probably would not have won in a typical (non-recall) election. It's gotten way worse all the time, though. The Repugnant who is hoping (from 18 points down) to boot WA Dem Senator Patty Murray literally claims her qualifications are "I moved 8 times with 3 toddlers and a blind husband - I think I've got this." We are all truly doomed.
As you note, MadCaw - held no political office, no degree, no discernible job other than as a low-level part-time assistant for Mark Meadows.
Treasonous Mark Meadows - held no political office, Associate degree, active in Repug politics, sold real estate.
Heath Shuler - held no political office, psychology degree from Tennessee, QB, not active in Dem politics, sold real estate.

Wait, you're saying that some places elect people with qualifications to Congress. WTF?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:49 pm

Wait, you're saying that some places elect people with qualifications to Congress. WTF?
It appears some might. My guy, for example. BA from Stanford, JD from Duke.
Levin co-founded CleanTech OC, a clean energy trade association in Orange County,[7] and was profiled in an OC Metro "40 Under 40" piece for his work at FlexEnergy, a company that developed a technology to capture and use methane from landfills and wastewater treatment facilities.[8] He was the director of government affairs at FuelCell Energy from 2014 to 2017.[9] He also served as vice president of Better Energy Systems, a consumer-facing cleantech startup based in Berkeley, California,[10] and on the board of directors of the Center for Sustainable Energy, an environmental organization based in San Diego.[11] In this capacity, Levin opposed the redevelopment of Encina Power Station, arguing that "the proposed Carlsbad plant contradicts the priorities that California has established to reduce pollution across our state as it will use combustion to generate power."[9]

Levin served as the executive director of the Democratic Party of Orange County.[11] He later served on the National Finance Committee for Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign for President.[12][13][14]
He's a Dem, of course, but why don't Repugnants find candidates with equivalent backgrounds? Of course, it could be that there aren't very many well-educated, qualified potential candidates who'll buy into the current Repug bullshit.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:

It's been all downhill since Charlie Taylor. :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:25 pm
Vrede too wrote:

It's been all downhill since Charlie Taylor. :lol:
:-H I looked Chainsaw Charlie up before posting. The asshole was very well qualified. Go figure.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

It ultimately derives from a blatant and ignorant disrespect for Congress. Why would anybody think that participation in one of the largest deliberative bodies in the world, making laws for a 50-state nation of 350mill people is something "anybody" could do?

Probably these are the same people that want to get elected because laws are too difficult for them to understand. Immigration law: Keep 'em out. Tax law: Lower 'em. Healthcare: Don't get sick. Homelessness: Send 'em to Mexico.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:45 pm
It ultimately derives from a blatant and ignorant disrespect for Congress. Why would anybody think that participation in one of the largest deliberative bodies in the world, making laws for a 50-state nation of 350mill people is something "anybody" could do?

Probably these are the same people that want to get elected because laws are too difficult for them to understand. Immigration law: Keep 'em out. Tax law: Lower 'em. Healthcare: Don't get sick. Homelessness: Send 'em to Mexico.
Modern pols, especially Republicans are hardly steeped in policy. Bills are for the underlings and lobbyists to write and understand.

They rarely even read them, too busy testing out new sound bites.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:24 pm
O Really wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:45 pm

Modern pols, especially Republicans are hardly steeped in policy. Bills are for the underlings and lobbyists to write and understand.

They rarely even read them, too busy testing out new sound bites.
True that - and it's another reason we're all screwed and doomed.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:52 pm

Makes you wonder if this is sustainable and the great experiment of American democracy is going to collapse of it's own bloated weight.

Or maybe I should just say when.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:36 pm
O Really wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:52 pm

Makes you wonder if this is sustainable and the great experiment of American democracy is going to collapse of it's own bloated weight.

Or maybe I should just say when.
I occasionally remind myself that there are 435 members of the House and 100 Senators, most of whom you never hear anything about. Ostensibly, some of those are actually doing the job they were elected to do and meanwhile MTG and her ilk are just grabbing the coverage because they're more entertaining. They tweet and give sound bytes and say outrageous stuff, but maybe they aren't actually causing lasting harm because none of their stuff ever passes. But then I see where the entire Congress is so polarized that Repugnants, military loving people that they are, voted against the aid bill for wounded vets just to be obstructionist and no other reason. And the assholes Manchin and Synema, killing bills from their own party that clearly are in the best interest of most people in the country and the country as a whole. Screwed and doomed we are.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:15 pm

I occasionally remind myself that there are 435 members of the House and 100 Senators, most of whom you never hear anything about.
Those are the ones snorting the coke and going to the sex parties while blindly voting for whatever the party mantra of the day is.

They can't actually be thinking.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:18 pm
O Really wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:15 pm

I occasionally remind myself that there are 435 members of the House and 100 Senators, most of whom you never hear anything about.
Those are the ones snorting the coke and going to the sex parties while blindly voting for whatever the party mantra of the day is.

They can't actually be thinking.
Screwed and doomed we are.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:

Easy answer might be "Trump" but he may just have made ignorance and lack of qualifications more acceptable, holding only one required qualification - be a Trumper. On the other hand, the Governator was elected solely on name recognition, but probably would not have won in a typical (non-recall) election. It's gotten way worse all the time, though. The Repugnant who is hoping (from 18 points down) to boot WA Dem Senator Patty Murray literally claims her qualifications are "I moved 8 times with 3 toddlers and a blind husband - I think I've got this." We are all truly doomed.
As you note, MadCaw - held no political office, no degree, no discernible job other than as a low-level part-time assistant for Mark Meadows.
Treasonous Mark Meadows - held no political office, Associate degree, active in Repug politics, sold real estate.
Heath Shuler - held no political office, psychology degree from Tennessee, QB, not active in Dem politics, sold real estate.

Don't forget Ross Perot could have been president and Tubs is 1 of only a hundred senators. He and Herschel could write Defense policy.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:45 am

Don't forget Ross Perot could have been president and Tubs is 1 of only a hundred senators. He and Herschel could write Defense policy.
Well, I don't know that Perot ever had a legit chance, but thinking of him does remind me of another sad truth. Reincarnate George Wallace from his 1968 campaign and you've got a real live 2022 mainstream Repug who'll probably win his race.