Mass Shootings

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Mass Shootings

Unread post by O Really »

I don't agree with the characterization of security measures as "turning into prison" but it's a good point that if a shooter specifically wants a school they could target buses, etc. Actually now that you mention it, I'm surprised buses haven't been attacked already.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:06 pm
I don't agree with the characterization of security measures as "turning into prison" but it's a good point that if a shooter specifically wants a school they could target buses, etc. Actually now that you mention it, I'm surprised buses haven't been attacked already.

Dirty Harry
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:59 pm
... How many recent shooters have entered by ... blasting locked doors? ...
Sandy Hook Elementary.

As for the rest, I don't agree with the even more expensive Rx of turning all schools into prisons in order to try to prevent rare school shootings. First, the shooters are often students or former students. They've had years to ID any weaknesses. Then, an unlikely perfectly secure school would just lead to targeting school buses, pickup or drop off, sporting events, Sunday schools, carnivals, parks, malls, birthday parties or any other place kids gather. No lives get saved....
O Really wrote:
I'd rather it if all of that security money was spent on mental health and early intervention for students, thus preventing some shootings in school, on buses or wherever. Burglars get foiled by security measures, but I've never heard of a mass shooter giving up because of them.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:28 pm
O Really wrote:
Dirty Harry
:)

Speed (not a school bus, but still ...)
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:34 pm

It's really a very scary thought, talk about soft targets.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:03 pm
Vrede too wrote:
It's really a very scary thought, talk about soft targets.
Virginia Tech, VA, 2007 - 33 dead, 23 injured, 56 total

Grade schools:
Sandy Hook Elementary, CT, 2012 - 27 dead, 2 injured, 29 total
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High, FL 2018 - 17 dead, 17 injured, 34 total
Robb Elementary, TX, 2022, - 22 dead, 18 injured, 40 total

I horrified myself by initially skipping past these for not having "enough":
Red Lake Senior High, MN, 2005 - 10 dead, 7 injured, 17 total
West Nickel Mines Amish school, PA, 2006 - 6 dead, 5 injured, 11 total
Northern Illinois University, IL, 2008 - 6 dead, 21 injured, 27 total
Umpqua Community College, OR, 2015 - 10 dead, 9 injured, 19 total
Santa Fe High, TX, 2018 - 10 dead, 13 injured, 23 total

Many more:
List of school shootings in the United States (2000–present)

Virginia Tech is the worst with 33 dead, 56 casualties
Sandy Hook had 27 dead
Robb had 40 casualties
:cry:

A full-sized school bus has a 72 to 90 passenger capacity. :shock:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:
Dirty Harry

Wasn't there a hijacked school bus full of kids?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:44 pm
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Dirty Harry

Wasn't there a hijacked school bus full of kids?
Yes in Dirty Harry.
Not in Speed.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:40 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:23 pm
Best wishes for Cooper.
👍👍🤞🤞
Cooper update: He has continued to make progress this week. As a result, after almost a month in the pediatric intensive care unit (PICU), Cooper was transferred out of the PICU to a general floor in the hospital....

Any new news?

It's been over a month, but did you see this crew when they were in town? Maybe some are still there?

Comfort dogs descend on Highland Park — just like they've been doing since Newtown (with video)

:( :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:56 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:40 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:23 pm
Best wishes for Cooper.
👍👍🤞🤞
Cooper update: He has continued to make progress this week. As a result, after almost a month in the pediatric intensive care unit (PICU), Cooper was transferred out of the PICU to a general floor in the hospital....

Any new news?

It's been over a month, but did you see this crew when they were in town? Maybe some are still there?

Comfort dogs descend on Highland Park — just like they've been doing since Newtown (with video)

The dog article is a month old, but the doggos were everywhere for quite a while. The vivctim response volunteer teams as well as the federal teams response were everything you could hope for. Sadly, it's because they have so much experience. There are still community and support events happening.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/stronge ... 309870151/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/stronge ... 826543966/

Cooper is progressing as well as one could hope for (I guess) someone whose life is screwed and too young to know it.

After spending nearly a month undergoing multiple surgeries and treatments, Cooper Roberts, the 8-year-old boy who was paralyzed in the July 4 parade shooting in Highland Park, has started physical therapy and expects to enter third grade in the fall, his family said in a press release.

Since leaving the pediatric intensive care unit of a Chicago hospital last week, Cooper has been participating in daily physical and occupational therapy to help him regain strength and build mobility, according to a press release.
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/c ... FB_CHBrand
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:58 am
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:56 am
Any new news?

The dog article is a month old,

Yeah, that's what I meant by, "It's been over a month". Sorry I was unclear. It was a link under some more recent mass shooting article.

Aside: It sucks that I can post "more recent mass shooting" :x

but the doggos were everywhere for quite a while. The victim response volunteer teams as well as the federal teams response were everything you could hope for. Sadly, it's because they have so much experience.

I thought the same thing - 'We have a canine rapid response team for mass shootings?!' :(

There are still community and support events happening.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/stronge ... 309870151/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/stronge ... 826543966/

Can't access, but I'll take your word for it.
This Group is Private
Cooper is progressing as well as one could hope for (I guess) someone whose life is screwed and too young to know it.
After spending nearly a month undergoing multiple surgeries and treatments, Cooper Roberts, the 8-year-old boy who was paralyzed in the July 4 parade shooting in Highland Park, has started physical therapy and expects to enter third grade in the fall, his family said in a press release.

Since leaving the pediatric intensive care unit of a Chicago hospital last week, Cooper has been participating in daily physical and occupational therapy to help him regain strength and build mobility, according to a press release.
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/c ... n/2910603/
"expects to enter third grade in the fall" :shock: :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:44 pm
Sad reality for Cooper is starting to sink in. 😥
:cry: “It is very hard to convince Cooper that he will be happy again.”
He looks pretty good, considering. I'll bet his first fresh air and sunshine was a real treat.

Hey, there's always right-wingnut ammosexual tree-beating xtian congressman. Everyone needs role models.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:52 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:44 pm
Sad reality for Cooper is starting to sink in. 😥
:cry: “It is very hard to convince Cooper that he will be happy again.”
He looks pretty good, considering. I'll bet his first fresh air and sunshine was a real treat.

Hey, there's always right-wingnut ammosexual tree-beating xtian congressman. Everyone needs role models.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:19 am
(Cooper update tweet)
Cooper LOOKS like he's adjusting. Kids are incredibly resilient and I hope that's going as well as it can.

DeSantis suspends 4 Broward school board members after Parkland report

"School security" is a chimera. Even if perfected, which it never will be since students have 5 days a week for 9 months of the year to plot ways around it, shooters would just go after pick-up/drop-off, school buses, sporting events, Sunday schools, malls, parks, swimming pools, parades like Highland Park or any other place where large numbers of children gather. In the end, no lives are saved with "school security".

This latest radical move by fascist RepuQ DerSantis in a Dem County is a deflection from his own culpability, and blatant politics timed to aid his own campaign. Ammosexuality is the disease, Parkland was just one symptom and DerSantis and his gunhugging fanboys have made it easier for the next school shooter to be heavily armed. Let's see elected officials in the Leg and Governor's office get replaced for THAT corrupt negligence.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:18 pm

"School security" is a chimera. Even if perfected, which it never will be since students have 5 days a week for 9 months of the year to plot ways around it, shooters would just go after pick-up/drop-off, school buses, sporting events, Sunday schools, malls, parks, swimming pools, parades like Highland Park or any other place where large numbers of children gather. In the end, no lives are saved with "school security".

This latest radical move by fascist RepuQ DerSantis in a Dem County is a deflection from his own culpability, and blatant politics timed to aid his own campaign. Ammosexuality is the disease, Parkland was just one symptom and DerSantis and his gunhugging fanboys have made it easier for the next school shooter to be heavily armed. Let's see elected officials in the Leg and Governor's office get replaced for THAT corrupt negligence.
Florida has one fucked up constitution, guess it goes well with it's electorate and politicians.

They're already hardening up the schools around here. Six million being spent currently with a one hundred million plus bond referendum on the ballot in November (for 3,500 students).

I'm mixed on it, mostly for the reasons you mentioned above. They could spend a billion but it wouldn't matter if someone really wanted to do harm.

I'd rather the money be used for a gun buyback.

O Really
Admiral

The terrorists, foreign and domestic, have already won, if their hope is to create disruption, destroy much of society and cause harm and mental destruction to a lot of people. Since the WTC went down, the elusive "security" has dominated practically every aspect of American life. And since Columbine, at least, "security" has overridden logic in practically every aspect of school administration. A picture of a gun is punishable as if it were a gun? A nail file is a "weapon"? Seriously? Equally good "weapons" are on every school supply list. Countless dollars spent, countless hours and angst expended. All to get a society that is more frightened, less secure, and less able to actually protect or defend itself if necessary.

It's good to be old.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:52 pm
Florida has one fucked up constitution, guess it goes well with it's electorate and politicians.

They're already hardening up the schools around here. Six million being spent currently with a one hundred million plus bond referendum on the ballot in November (for 3,500 students).

I'm mixed on it, mostly for the reasons you mentioned above. They could spend a billion but it wouldn't matter if someone really wanted to do harm.

I'd rather the money be used for a gun buyback.
Do we need a "Florida Constitution..." thread? :)

Largely impossible to resist. Even pols that understand that shooters will just shoot elsewhere don't want to be blamed for a shooting that happens in one of their schools.

I'd rather the money be used for the gun-seizing Gestapo that the ammosexuals fear. :twisted:

I was just watching interviews at one gun buyback. Several people declared that they would use the money they get for their old useless guns to buy new guns and accessories. :( :puke-left:

Gun buyback program

A sampling from BRD-relevant states:

California
December, 2012 in the Bay Area, not repeated.
... Started in 2009, an ongoing anonymous buyback program in Los Angeles offers retail gift cards in exchange for guns.
Maryland

For two months in 1974, the Baltimore Police Department ran what is believed to have been the first gun buyback program in the U.S. Police commissioner Donald Pomerleau, not known as an advocate for strict gun control, reportedly came up with the idea while at a funeral for an officer who was shot in the line of duty. Operation PASS (People Against Senseless Shootings) paid a $50 "bounty" for surrendered guns and $100 for tips leading to the confiscation of illegal guns. Some bounty seekers attempted to game the system by buying cheap, new guns that retailed for $21.95 and then trying to turn them in. In all, the police collected 13,500 firearms - mostly handguns - at a cost of over $660,000. However, the city's already high gun homicide and assault rates actually increased during the program, for which police officials offered no explanation.
Ugh.

New Jersey
No repeats since April 2013? It's a little unclear.
Washington

The city of Seattle has experimented with Gun Buy Back Programs since the early 1990s. Seattle's 1992 gun buyback was initiated in response to a string of shootings in a local neighborhood. The buyback program was watched with great interest given the local demographic and the generally positive public support for the buyback from residents of Seattle and the surrounding area. A public health survey titled "Money for Guns" was conducted and while it concluded that no statistically significant result was produced on Seattle's gun crime or gun death ratio, the report maintained that a larger buyback program would be sure to yield positive results. Over 20 years later Seattle would again make headline for its bold gun buyback program in 2013, but perhaps not for the reasons the programs sponsors and organizers would have liked. While the program, could be considered a success, collecting more than 700 guns, handing out almost $70,000 in gift cards and even netting a Stinger missile launcher tube (minus the missile), the program also had a widely unanticipated effect from the local gun buying community. Hundreds of gun buyers showed up to the event seeking to offer cash for valuable antiques or functioning second hand firearms. The lack of any need for background check in transactions involving private firearms sales turned the city sponsored event into an open air gun bazaar. Since then other cities have experienced similar situations, including private sales and/or local gun owners taking advantage of lucrative gift card offers to unload rusted or non-functioning firearms onto the police.
Opps.
New Zealand

New Zealand introduced "Arms (Prohibited Firearms, Magazines, and Parts) Amendment Bill" in March 2019 as an amendment to existing legislation with the aim of tightening gun control to increase the safety and security of New Zealanders by reducing the risk of death or injury from guns. This bill was introduced following the Christchurch mosque shootings along with a government funded Gun Buy Back program in which compensation would be paid to owners of firearms made illegal by gun law changes and subsequently surrendered. New Zealand Police reported approx 47,000 firearms were collected.
There we go, "Gestapo" legislation plus a buyback. :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really
Admiral

We come through Bend OR for a couple of weeks or so twice a year - northbound and southbound. Here's where we shop when we're there.
Arggggh!
https://patch.com/oregon/across-or/3-de ... ing-police