Mass Shootings

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Mass Shootings

Unread post by O Really »

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:45 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:42 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:30 pm

LOL.

Well, what happens in Texas stays in Texas, at least as far as capital punishment goes.
So one could reasonably infer from that comment that as long as the state isn't killing anybody around the Bay Area, and as long as everybody in your personal bubble is opposed, then the problem is solved and there is no issue.
No.

I don't know where you get that take.

I still want the capital punishment law repealed in California.

Do you?

More practically, what can we do as individuals to see that happen?
I dunno about you, but I won't commit any capital punishment-eligible crimes, and will encourage everybody I know not to commit any, and to encourage their own friends. If everybody keeps at it, we'll starve the death penalty that killed 13 people in 45 years, but hasn't been used for 16 years.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:18 am
Ulysses wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:45 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:42 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:30 pm

LOL.

Well, what happens in Texas stays in Texas, at least as far as capital punishment goes.
So one could reasonably infer from that comment that as long as the state isn't killing anybody around the Bay Area, and as long as everybody in your personal bubble is opposed, then the problem is solved and there is no issue.
No.

I don't know where you get that take.

I still want the capital punishment law repealed in California.

Do you?

More practically, what can we do as individuals to see that happen?
I dunno about you, but I won't commit any capital punishment-eligible crimes, and will encourage everybody I know not to commit any, and to encourage their own friends. If everybody keeps at it, we'll starve the death penalty that killed 13 people in 45 years, but hasn't been used for 16 years.
Well, it's sort of pointless. Capital punishment is the judicial equivalent of the ancient "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth". Just convincing everyone not to commit "capital punishment-eligible crimes" is a good goal, but it won't solve the underlying problem of the state resorting to the death penalty in the first place.

Something like 44% of Californians favor elimination of the death penalty.

Poll shows support for death penalty declining in California

It would take only 1/3 of the "undecideds" to get to 51% and be done with this biblical punishment.
Support for capital punishment continues to dwindle among Californians, with more voters favoring abolishing the death penalty, but the issue remains so politically volatile that the prospects of a repeal are uncertain, according to a new UC Berkeley Institute of Governmental Studies poll co-sponsored by the Los Angeles Times.

Of the Californians surveyed, 44% said they would vote to repeal the death penalty and 35% favored allowing executions, with 21% undecided. The findings could help energize support to place a constitutional amendment on the 2022 statewide ballot to ban executions, a proposal under consideration in the California Legislature.
Hopefully humanity is slowly recoving from a viral (covid) death penalty. Why on earth do we need yet more needlessly premature death?

O Really
Admiral

You do know the "eye for an eye" was not biblical, but is from the Code of Hammurabi, right? And that a full interpretation in the context it was written was not revenge but more like "let punishment fit the crime" (and also the social status of the offender and offended).

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:34 am
You do know the "eye for an eye" was not biblical, but is from the Code of Hammurabi, right? And that a full interpretation in the context it was written was not revenge but more like "let punishment fit the crime" (and also the social status of the offender and offended).
No, I didn't know that. Although I have heard the term "Code of Hammurabi". But I don't think it makes any difference in what I wrote. Because "let the punishment fit the crime" is wrong as well, if it involves a death for a death.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

But wait... it IS biblical!
Bible verses related to Eye For An Eye from the King James Version (KJV) by Relevance

- Sort By Book Order

Matthew 5:38-39 - Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: (Read More...)

Exodus 21:24 - Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,

Romans 12:17-19 - Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. (Read More...)

Matthew 5:38 - Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

1 Thessalonians 5:15 - See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.

Proverbs 13:3 - He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life: but he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction.

Romans 12:10-21 - Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another; (Read More...)

Luke 6:29 - And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also.

Exodus 21:12 - He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death.

Deuteronomy 19:21 - And thine eye shall not pity; but life shall go for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot.
https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bi ... or-An-Eye/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:34 am
Ulysses wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:49 am
But wait... it IS biblical! ...
:roll: The Code of Hammurabi PREDATES the Bible by 1500 years or so. You're crediting plagiarists with originality.

Seriously, why didn't you think to look this up before spouting off, especially when foolishly challenging O Really?
Ulysses wrote:
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Let the punishment fit the crime. Some people need to die. That woman and her new husband that killed both her kids and then flew off to Hawaii comes to mind. Also the young TN mother here in Sullivan County who killed her toddler daughter and buried her in a family members back yard. In trying to put myself in any one of those peoples situation, I think I'd want to die.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:06 am
Let the punishment fit the crime. Some people need to die. That woman and her new husband that killed both her kids and then flew off to Hawaii comes to mind. Also the young TN mother here in Sullivan County who killed her toddler daughter and buried her in a family members back yard. In trying to put myself in any one of those peoples situation, I think I'd want to die.

Gary Hilton is the one that always does it for me. He pleaded out of the death penalty. There's no reason for him to be alive, none.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:21 am
neoplacebo wrote:

Gary Hilton is the one that always does it for me. He pleaded out of the death penalty. There's no reason for him to be alive, none.
Prison can be tougher than death. It's often the easy way out. Don't we have to put a lot of the incarcerated on suicide watch to prevent them taking the easy way out?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:36 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:21 am
neoplacebo wrote:

Prison can be tougher than death. It's often the easy way out. Don't we have to put a lot of the incarcerated on suicide watch to prevent them taking the easy way out?
True, but the coward's out is what they want. I'm not inclined to give them anything they want.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:

Who knew the Bible writers read Hammurabi? Wonder what else they stole without proper credit.

O Really
Admiral

I'm not sure hanging oneself in a cell is the "easy way" or "coward's way", but it is a faster way.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:14 am
Ulysses wrote:

Who knew the Bible writers read Hammurabi? Wonder what else they stole without proper credit.
Saturnalia!
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:

You say that from the standpoint of a well-educated, socially adept and economically successful white guy. But people like you aren't usually on death row to start with.

Take for example Francisco Beltran, now on California's imaginary Death Row. During a robbery with gang members, he shot a man in the head who "spoke disrespectfully" to him.

I doubt prison life is any worse than the life he was in before.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Might even be better.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:03 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

You say that from the standpoint of a well-educated, socially adept and economically successful white guy. But people like you aren't usually on death row to start with.

Take for example Francisco Beltran, now on California's imaginary Death Row. During a robbery with gang members, he shot a man in the head who "spoke disrespectfully" to him.

I doubt prison life is any worse than the life he was in before.

True
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Ulysses wrote:

Simple.

If it's in the Bible, it's biblical.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:15 pm
O Really wrote:
Ulysses wrote:

Simple.

There's a lot of bullshit and superstition in the Bible. Are you saying that bullshit and superstition are Biblical, or just that the scale of the bullshit and superstition in the Bible is Biblical?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I would say the scale of bullshit and superstition in the Bible is off the fucking charts. That's why it's so popular. These things happen.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:58 am
Ulysses wrote:
But wait... it IS biblical! ...
:roll: The Code of Hammurabi PREDATES the Bible by 1500 years or so. You're crediting plagiarists with originality.

Seriously, why didn't you think to look this up before spouting off, especially when foolishly challenging O Really?
Cower, Useless, cower.
Ulysses wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:15 pm
O Really wrote:
Simple.

Useless was and remains one of Milli Vanilli's strongest defenders.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milli_Van ... %80%931991
"Their lips were moving, it's their music," Useless claimed.
1312. ETTD.