Mass Shootings

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Mass Shootings

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:36 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:43 pm
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's civil not criminal but a door has opened.

Sandy Hook families settle with Remington marking 1st time gun maker is held liable for mass shooting
Coincidental or intentional timing? Yesterday was the 4th anniversary of the Stoneman Douglas High School shooting (Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport II semi-automatic rifle).

This $73 million Remington settlement was with the families of only 9 of the 28 Sandy Hook dead and injured. What happens with the rest?
Guess they'll now file their own suits.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:36 pm

This $73 million Remington settlement was with the families of only 9 of the 28 Sandy Hook dead and injured. What happens with the rest?
I haven't looked at it, but I THINK they opted out of the class action, so they're on their own. Bad choice, IMNVHO.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

OK, I admit I haven't really (o really) looked into this.

But how is Remington different from other gun manufacturers?

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:20 am

In what way? I don't understand the question.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:22 am
Ulysses wrote:

In any way.

Possible aspects for comparison might include: product offerings, target consumer population, advertising, single shot vs. automatic vs. yuge ammo mag, etc...

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:45 am
O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:22 am
Ulysses wrote:

In any way.

Possible aspects for comparison might include: product offerings, target consumer population, advertising, single shot vs. automatic vs. yuge ammo mag, etc...
No idea. And I'll pass on the question for someone who has an interest.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

OK, be that way ;-).

Not entirely sure I want to know anyway.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:11 pm
OK, be that way ;-).

Well, goddamn, what the fuck did you ask for? I'm no gun expert and haven't fired one since I was in the navy, when I shot a sea cow. But right off I'd say Remington, unlike Colt or Glock or some others, don't even make long guns. Remington got their ass kicked because the moron who killed all those Sandy Hook kids and adults used a Remington made product. Plus I understand Remington also engaged in aggressive marketing for this particular gun; marketing that was geared to young men and the macho image. I hope this sort of answers your question but I suspect it will instead result in some form of lesser or greater failure of comprehension on your end.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:50 pm
Ulysses wrote:
OK, be that way ;-).

Well, goddamn, what the fuck did you ask for? I'm no gun expert and haven't fired one since I was in the navy, when I shot a sea cow. But right off I'd say Remington, unlike Colt or Glock or some others, don't even make long guns. Remington got their ass kicked because the moron who killed all those Sandy Hook kids and adults used a Remington made product. Plus I understand Remington also engaged in aggressive marketing for this particular gun; marketing that was geared to young men and the macho image. I hope this sort of answers your question but I suspect it will instead result in some form of lesser or greater failure of comprehension on your end.
You shot a manatee?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:55 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
OK, be that way ;-).

You shot a manatee?
Of course not. It was some kind of huge sea cow with horns dripping with fish bones. The thing was so hideous everybody took a shot at it.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
OK, be that way ;-).

Someday I'd like to read a post from you that isn't fouled with gratuitous insult.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:55 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
OK, be that way ;-).

You shot a manatee?
AFAIK, "sea cow" means manatee.

Maybe not in Loony Land.

Manatees: Facts About Sea Cows
The manatee is a large marine mammal with an egg-shaped head, flippers and a flat tail. Manatees are also known as sea cows. This name is apt, due to their large stature; slow, lolling nature; and propensity to be eaten by other animals. However, despite the name, they are more closely related to elephants. Though they may seem like cumbersome creatures, manatees can swim quickly and gracefully....

There is also some talk that mermaids are actually manatees or sea cows. IDK, never met a mermaid. I probably have seen manatees at the Steinhart Aquarium.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:52 pm
( :crybaby: )
neoplacebo did answer your question - Remington rifle used at Sandy Hook and their particular ads - and you've earned all insults. Grow up and own it.
Ulysses wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:57 pm
AFAIK, "sea cow" means manatee....
Whooosh, and your citation is adorable.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Ulysses wrote:

Maybe not in Loony Land.
It's also used as a derogatory insult for overweight ugly women. You must have heard it when you were allegedly growing up. I think Crusty the Clown used it on some of the kids' mothers as well.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:12 pm
Ulysses wrote:

Maybe not in Loony Land.
It's also used as a derogatory insult for overweight ugly women. You must have heard it when you were allegedly growing up. I think Crusty the Clown used it on some of the kids' mothers as well.
Nah, I allegedly grew up in very sentient communities. Never heard Crusty use it, allegedly, either.

I try to avoid the ledge.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Benjamin Smith aka Polybun, Portland Shooting Suspect: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Benjamin Jeffrey Smith, a self-described anti-social machinist with a trail of disturbing social media posts, was named as the Portland, Oregon, man who is accused in the mass shooting of five people on February 19 that left a Black Lives Matter protester dead.

Smith was named by authorities as the suspect on February 22; he was initially named by OregonLive, which reported that witnesses identified him as the shooter. OPB editor Ryan Haas reported that Smith had not been charged as he remained hospitalized but a warrant for his arrest included charges of second-degree murder, first-degree attempted murder, assault and unlawful use of a weapon.

The District Attorney announced later the same day that Smith was being charged with nine offenses, including murder in the second degree.

The DA’s statement says that Smith confronted the group of protesters, yelling at them to leave the park. They told him to leave them alone, and he then fired into the crowd, according to the statement.

He was described on social media as a local “furry” who goes by the name Polybun. (“Furry,” according to Merriam-Webster, “refers to people who have a keen interest in, or even dress up as, anthropomorphic animal characters, like those often seen in comics, games, and cartoons.”) OregonLIve confirmed that the Polybun name is associated with Smith.

He is also known as Ben Smith and was also shot and critically wounded in the incident, the outlet reported. Police have released few details of what they described as a chaotic scene, but in their February 22 update indicated “Smith remains hospitalized in serious condition.”

Authorities did not initially name the deceased victim but on February 22 also identified her as 60-year-old Brandy Knightly....

Smith’s roommate told OPB, “He talked about wanting to go shoot commies and antifa all the friggin time. He was just a sad angry dude. … He talked about wanting to do this for a while. He was angry at the mask mandates, he was angry at the damned liberals.”

... three of those shot are in critical condition....

According to OregonLive, the armed man who lived “nearby shot into the crowd and one of the demonstrators shot the man who opened fire.” The local KPTV reported that the protest at Portland’s Normandale Park was organized “in solidarity with Amir Locke,” a 22-year-old man who was shot and killed as police executed a no-knock warrant on February 2 in Minneapolis.
I think I read elsewhere that the demonstrator has not been charged - self defense.
Here’s what you need to know about Benjamin “Polybun” Smith:

1. Smith Is a Machinist Who Has Lived in the Area for Years & Was Growing Increasingly Angry About Protests, Reports Say

... Smith was also upset about city-wide protests, homeless people in the area and COVID-19 health “mandates,” and he was known to “collect guns,” the outlet reported....

2. Disturbing Social Media Posts Have Emerged Under the Name ‘Polybun’

... Social media posts published on Telegram and other sites under the name Polybun have emerged, revealing comments about killing “people that just willingly disrespect the property of another” and anti-Semitic comments about the victims in the Kyle Rittenhouse shooting....

3. Police Wrote That They Encountered an ‘Extremely Chaotic’ Scene; a Victim Claims Smith Called Her a ‘Terrorist’

... Another Twitter user wrote, “We were unarmed traffic safety volunteers who weren’t with any protestors. Four women trying to de-escalate & he unloaded a 45 into us because he didn’t like being asked to leave and stop calling us terrorist c*nts. We were in high vis and dresses. He murdered a disabled woman. … It was a 50-60 year old white man. The exchange lasted under two minutes. He came there to kill us, I am positive. He thought we were protestors.”

The Twitter user continued, “I want people to know that when our brave, beloved friend left this world she was not alone. I was with her. I was holding her and stroking her head and holding her hand and talking to her. She wasn’t alone. I don’t know what comfort there is in that but she wasn’t alone.” ...

4. Smith’s Roommate Said He Used Racial Slurs & Became More ‘Radicalized’ During the Trump Administration ...
Surprise surprise.

Brandy Knightly, presente. :( :x
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Just last weekend:

Nine Mass Shootings

:shock:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Sandy Hook families reject Alex Jones settlement offer

Infowars host Alex Jones offered to pay $120,000 per plaintiff to resolve a lawsuit by relatives of Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victims who said he defamed them by asserting the massacre never happened, according to court filings Tuesday. The offer was quickly rejected by the families.

A Connecticut judge found Jones liable for damages in November, and a trial is planned to determine how much he should pay the families.

The plaintiffs said they have been subjected to harassment and death threats from Jones’ followers because of the hoax conspiracy promoted on his show....

Last week Jones defied a court order to attend a deposition near his home in Austin, Texas, to provide testimony ahead of the trial. Jones said he was ill. A hearing is scheduled for Wednesday on a request by the plaintiffs to sanction Jones for not cooperating.

Lawyers for the families rejected the settlement offer within a few hours, saying in court filings that it was a “transparent and desperate attempt by Alex Jones to escape a public reckoning under oath with his deceitful, profit-driven campaign against the plaintiffs and the memory of their loved ones lost at Sandy Hook.”

Twenty first graders and six educators were killed in the 2012 shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. The families of eight of the victims and an FBI agent who responded to the school sued Jones, Infowars and others in Connecticut over the hoax conspiracy. Jones has since said he believes the shooting did occur.

Jones also was found liable for damages in similar lawsuits filed in Texas by relatives of Sandy Hook victims, and also faces trial later this year.
Fully expose him and bleed him dry.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:45 pm

Fully expose him and bleed him dry.
That's too good for him.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Once again, desperate Useless flails about for an old post that he ignored earlier to reply to just so he can post after me in a thread. Childish.
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:16 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:52 pm
( :crybaby: )
neoplacebo did answer your question - Remington rifle used at Sandy Hook and their particular ads - and you've earned all insults. Grow up and own it.
Ulysses wrote:
AFAIK, "sea cow" means manatee....
Whooosh, and your citation is adorable.
Still Whooosh.
Ulysses wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:51 pm
(post: :crybaby: )
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
1312. ETTD.