NAACP calls on athletes not to sign with Texas teams due to recent legislation

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

HOUSTON -- The NAACP sent a letter to the players' associations in five professional sports Thursday asking players to reconsider signing with teams in Texas because of recent laws passed in the state.

In a two-page letter signed by NAACP president and CEO Derrick Johnson that was sent to the MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL and WNBA players' associations, the organization pointed to recent laws on abortions, voting rights and mask mandates during the coronavirus pandemic as reasons to avoid joining teams in Texas.

"If you are considering signing in Texas, I ask you to ensure that owners are upholding their responsibility of protecting you, the athlete, and your family," the letter states. "I ask you to use your influence to help protect the constitutional rights of each individual at risk."

In May, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signed an abortion law that bans procedures after six weeks of pregnancy. In September, Abbott signed a bill that significantly tightened voting laws. Earlier in the month, Abbott also issued an executive order that banned vaccine requirements in Texas.
Might be too late for the Braves, but good.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Re: NAACP calls on athletes not to sign with Texas teams due to recent legislation

Unread post by Ulysses »

But the Braves are doing quite well in the World Series, so far. 3-1 games up on the Astros.

We'll see.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Re: NAACP calls on athletes not to sign with Texas teams due to recent legislation

Unread post by Ulysses »

Well, that does it.

I won't be signing any long term contracts with any Texas professional sports teams this year.