Slavery By Another Name

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Slavery By Another Name

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:35 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:28 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:13 pm
Turns out you can do a lot of things with DVDs you can't do with DVR. #3 looks right down Ulysses' alley.
https://balconygardenweb.com/diy-uses-f ... m-cds-dvd/
Interesting that most are garden accessories, garden bird deterrents and/or wind chimes.

I thought the last one was the most practical as a reflector for fence posts.
Just trying to be helpful to Ulysses, who has a large garden and various critters. I thought a couple hundred DVD's hung all around in an tasteful manner might be considered functional art.
Certainly could be the talk of the neighborhood.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:35 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:28 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:13 pm
Turns out you can do a lot of things with DVDs you can't do with DVR. #3 looks right down Ulysses' alley.
https://balconygardenweb.com/diy-uses-f ... m-cds-dvd/
Interesting that most are garden accessories, garden bird deterrents and/or wind chimes.

I thought the last one was the most practical as a reflector for fence posts.
Just trying to be helpful to Ulysses, who has a large garden and various critters. I thought a couple hundred DVD's hung all around in an tasteful manner might be considered functional art.
Yeah, no help whatsoever.

But I suggest one of you fools give it a try.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Ulysses wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:58 pm

Sure, I'd try it. Except - I don't have a garden; I generally attract instead of repelling birds; I enjoy raccoons; and I haven't had any DVD's for years. Otherwise...

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:11 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:58 pm

Sure, I'd try it. Except - I don't have a garden; I generally attract instead of repelling birds; I enjoy raccoons; and I haven't had any DVD's for years. Otherwise...
Well, i prefer the artwork of nature, like roses, tomatoes, various fruits and veggies like apples, oranges, pole beans, grapes, figs, squash, and of course lots of avocados this year. Bumper crop. Even have some pomegranates there but I'm not a big fan since they are so much bother to eat. But they look nice. The only plastic garden decor I use are fake owls which don't seem to fool the birds much. Soon it will be time to yank all the tomato cages and work in a new layer of compost.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

OK, show of hands:

How many here have ancestors who owned slaves? (edit: In America)
Last edited by Ulysses on Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:08 am
OK, show of hands:

How many here have ancestors who owned slaves?
A better question might be, how many haven't?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
OK, show of hands:

Me, probably. My mum's side of the family is from England, historically York, which was taken over by Vikings in the 800's, apparently accounting for the bit of Scandinavian DNA in my profile. Vikings owned slaves, apparently some Viking(s) had his/their way with my grand9-mom, so I suppose I had ancestors with slaves. Or not, I don't really know. But nobody I know about was connected to American slavery. Given the degree to which slavery was present in the world, if you go back far enough it might be difficult to find anybody whose tree didn't have either slave-owners, slaves, or both.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:39 am
Ulysses wrote:
OK, show of hands:

Well, AFAIK, not me.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:46 am
Ulysses wrote:
OK, show of hands:

Me, probably. My mum's side of the family is from England, historically York, which was taken over by Vikings in the 800's, apparently accounting for the bit of Scandinavian DNA in my profile. Vikings owned slaves, apparently some Viking(s) had his/their way with my grand9-mom, so I suppose I had ancestors with slaves. Or not, I don't really know. But nobody I know about was connected to American slavery. Given the degree to which slavery was present in the world, if you go back far enough it might be difficult to find anybody whose tree didn't have either slave-owners, slaves, or both.
OK, I guess I wasn't clear enough.

How many here have ancestors that owned slaves IN AMERICA?

M'Kay?

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:44 pm

M'Kay?
Oh. None that I know of, and I think all my known ancestors arrived in America after official slavery was outlawed.

M.Kay

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:43 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
OK, show of hands:

Well, AFAIK, not me.
You know that for sure? Slaves and slave profits built much of the NE.

I can trace my family's history from 1700s migration to the New World and their spreading over Pennsylvania and down to Tennessee, but can't find any slavery references. I have an ancestors Civil War diary, no slavery reference.
Same could be said of lot of New York to Boston families.

I guess I'll never understand the obsession to see slavery in the southern US as distinctly removed from any real discussion of slavery. An honest discussion, rather than a South bashing, could lead to a better understanding of the wage slavery and six slavery problems we have today.

And do you just mean the actual owners, or how about those other dumb southerners who could now have softer cotton products and eat cheaper rice?
I'm guessing you aren't referring to the ones who benefited from slave built infrastructure above the Mason Dixon Line, or the millions infused into the economies if the NE by the slave trader ship owners.

Idk - maybe we should start with Moses. Nah, then we would have to back up to the Pharoah guy.

Could it be that there's always been slavery of one kind or another and it's usually due to money, knowledge or police power being in the hands of a very few people.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:28 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:44 pm

M'Kay?
Oh. None that I know of, and I think all my known ancestors arrived in America after official slavery was outlawed.

M.Kay
But where did they come from? Don't say GB. Far more slaves owned by the English than by Americans.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:40 pm
Ulysses wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
OK, show of hands:

Well, AFAIK, not me.

I can trace my family's history from 1700s migration to the New World and their spreading over Pennsylvania and down to Tennessee, but can't find any slavery references. I have an ancestors Civil War diary, no slavery reference.

I guess I'll never understand the obsession to see slavery in the southern US as distinctly removed from any real discussion of slavery. An honest discussion, rather than a South bashing, could lead to a better understanding of the wage slavery and six slavery problems we have today.

And do you just mean the actual owners, or how about those other dumb southerners who could now have softer cotton products and eat cheaper rice?
I'm guessing you aren't referring to the ones who benefited from slave built infrastructure above the Mason Dixon Line, or the millions infused into the economies if the NE by the slave trader ship owners.

Idk - maybe we should start with Moses. Nah, then we would have to back up to the Pharoah guy.

Could it be that there's always been slavery of one kind or another and it's usually due to money, knowledge or police power being in the hands of a very few people.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure of that.

My father's family was originally from Quebec (Trois Riviers) where slavery was pretty much non-existant. My mother's family came from Eastern Europe in the late 19th century. If anything, their ancestors were slaves. The term slave comes from Slav, after all. Or vice verse.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:43 pm

But where did they come from? Don't say GB. Far more slaves owned by the English than by Americans.
I already acknowledged some of those, but Ulysses insisted on America-only. It wouldn't matter much to me one way or the other, however, what some unknown relative did in another age or culture.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:20 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:40 pm
Ulysses wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
OK, show of hands:

Well, AFAIK, not me.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure of that.

My father's family was originally from Quebec (Trois Riviers) where slavery was pretty much non-existant. My mother's family came from Eastern Europe in the late 19th century. If anything, their ancestors were slaves. The term slave comes from Slav, after all. Or vice verse.
Interesting that these Slavs didn't have owners.

Oh Canada

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local- ... wn-history

O Really
Admiral

Slavs had serfs.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:07 pm
Slavs had serfs.
Slav surfs

A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:07 pm
Slavs had serfs.
Yes but didn't one of Czars free the serfs?

Looked it up. Tsar Alexander made a speech to that effect in 1856, and by 1861 the serfs were emancipated.

Since my grandparents arrived in the USA about 40 years after that, and they were teens, I doubt they were ever serfs. They then proceeded to have something like 11 kids, all of whom lived to adulthood. I actually met my grandmother. I was very young and all I remember is she held me in her arms for about a 10 seconds. I gather she was a hard, no-nonsense woman. She'd toss a misbehaving kid across the room. So I guess I was lucky, LOL. My grandfather severely injured his arm in a Pennsylvania steel mill; the family photo shows evidence of a misshapen limb.

My Quebequois grandfather wound up in Rhode Island as a salesman for a gumball company (Ford). I remember the gum.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Ford gum wasn't round; it was square.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:33 am
Ford gum wasn't round; it was square.
Opps! I am wrong. Ford gum did come in rounds. I only ever saw the square kind personally. I remember getting a whole mouthful of Ford gum at once; it was like having a bunch of broken off teeth in your mouth except it tasted sweet instead of bloody.