Slavery By Another Name

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.

O Really
Admiral

Re: Slavery By Another Name

Unread post by O Really »

I'd vote to "involutarily relocate" Texas back to Mexico.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

trump loves the poorly educated and the GQP has taken up the task.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Note: Posted as much for the benefit of Useless and any other LNF lurkers as for BRDistas.

:roll: Useless is over on LNF calling us racists and telling lies because we objected to HIS SPIN on this ancient PBS doc that we did not have a problem with.
https://libertynewsforum.boards.net/thr ... lTo=180981
Of course, anyone can skim this thread and see for themselves. Now, he's calling the LNF crew racists for much the same reasons. What a big, fat crybaby he is!
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:36 pm
Note: Posted as much for the benefit of Useless and any other LNF lurkers as for BRDistas.

:roll: Useless is over on LNF calling us racists and telling lies because we objected to HIS SPIN on this ancient PBS doc that we did not have a problem with.
https://libertynewsforum.boards.net/thr ... lTo=180981
Of course, anyone can skim this thread and see for themselves. Now, he's calling the LNF crew racists for much the same reasons. What a big, fat crybaby he is!
It's not like we don't have a thread for racism and another for tv shows. I went back and read the 1st few pages of his thread. It's just another, Hey everybody, I recorded a TV show about racism. There's nothing of substance in it.

His hoarding makes me wonder if he collects newspapers and magazines.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:21 am

I'm sure there's a collection of musty Time Life and National Geographic in the garage somewhere.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:09 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

I'm sure there's a collection of musty Time Life and National Geographic in the garage somewhere.
Big'uns
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:36 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:09 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Big'uns

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

The poor bastard got splashed with bleach on his face and his coat but that doesn't slow him down. Clever.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: slavery was illegal in Georgia until Kemp's rich ancestors fought for their right to own and beat people

First I've heard of slavery being illegal in Georgia, I'm only repeating what Greg Palast wrote for Gwinnett Black Magazine. I don't doubt it at all, it's a rare instance of what I see as an accurate representation that history isn't just an all good vs bad cartoon version.

https://www.gregpalast.com/governor-kem ... dium=email

"Governor Kemp’s Family Brought Slavery to Georgia
And He’s Signed a Law that Makes Sure You Don’t Know It

Georgia Governor Brian Kemp does not want you to know that it was his family that first brought enslaved Africans to Georgia.

The original settlers in Georgia had outlawed slavery until James Habersham — Kemp’s ancestor — won a bloody battle to bring humans in chains to his plantations."

"While it’s foolish to impose our current values on the past, it’s simply not true that the slave trade was acceptable throughout Dixieland. The Habershams imposed the enslaved labor plantation system over the fierce resistance of the small-scale farmers who objected that, once slavery is introduced, they too would be reduced to servitude."

Cool picture here that I can't seem to copy O I

"Even the toys at Kemp’s family’s plantation showed the difference between
the owners’ happy lives and the terror of the people they owned.
To these original Swiss-German freeholders, slavery was an abomination before God. The farmers of Darien, near Savannah, wrote a unanimous petition to the King’s counselor, stating:

“It is shocking to nature that any race of mankind and their posterity should be sentenced to perpetual slavery.”

The Africans were brought in to teach the English how to plant rice. Their reward: whippings, starvation and ultimately, “Weeping Time,” the biggest auction of human beings in history."
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: slavery was illegal in Georgia until Kemp's rich ancestors fought for their right to own and beat people

I have fond memories of Useless humiliating himself for page after page in this topic. Been awhile since we visited it.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:50 am
First I've heard of slavery being illegal in Georgia, I'm only repeating what Greg Palast wrote for Gwinnett Black Magazine. I don't doubt it at all, it's a rare instance of what I see as an accurate representation that history isn't just an all good vs bad cartoon version.

https://www.gregpalast.com/governor-kem ... o-georgia/

"Governor Kemp’s Family Brought Slavery to Georgia
And He’s Signed a Law that Makes Sure You Don’t Know It

... Let’s be clear: Brian Kemp did not bring enslaved humans to Georgia. Nor is he responsible for the horrors perpetrated by his long-dead ancestors.

But Kemp, who fanatically avoids association with his dark origins, has gone so far as to ensconce historical amnesia into law. This April, Kemp signed HB1178, the so-called “Parents Bill of Rights” and a companion bill that makes it darn difficult for any schoolteacher in the Peach State to teach uncensored history and keep their job.

As Kemp noted in his signing ceremony, the law “will ban the teaching of divisive concepts” and, as a gleeful local newscaster said, “would make it easier to ban books.”
:obscene-birdiered:
My question for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation: Is it divisive, under the law, to state the fact that the Kemp Dynasty’s power and privileges are sourced in human trafficking?
:---P
Censoring Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson wrote a draft of the Declaration of Independence at the Habersham’s famous pink manor house in Savannah. But few Americans know that Jefferson’s original Declaration included a long segment attacking the slave trade, a direct threat to the Habersham’s lucrative lock on the local slave auctions. The anti-slavery clause was the only part of Jefferson’s Declaration that was removed by the Continental Congress under pressure from the Georgia delegation headed by Joseph Habersham.

Apparently, the anti-slavery clause was too “divisive.”
I didn't know that.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:15 pm

I didn't know that.
Me either. But I've never had much reason to dig into Georgia history more the the usual surface level.
I'm pretty sure the support for slavery per se wasn't universal, though.

Edit: it's easy for us (in retrospect) to castigate anybody who fought on the side of the slavers, but a lot of them were just conscripts, rounded up by the bushwhackers and forced into service. And a lot were just trying to protect their own homes in a time when "neutral" wasn't acceptable to anyone and union support would lead to destruction.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:51 pm
Vrede too wrote:

I didn't know that.
Me either. But I've never had much reason to dig into Georgia history more the the usual surface level.
I'm pretty sure the support for slavery per se wasn't universal, though....
Much of the rest of billy.pilgrim's article was also new to me, but I specifically meant Thomas Jefferson's original Declaration including an anti-slavery clause and that it was the only part of Jefferson’s Declaration that was removed by the Continental Congress. Imagine if he'd prevailed . . . actually, the possibilities are too complex for me to guess at.

As for the slaver/traitor conscripts and dupes, they are more of a problem for having been idolized since. However they got there they were on the wrong side - morality, economics, resources, population - and they lost. That should have been the end of it.

Also, fuck Brian Kemp.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:51 pm
Vrede too wrote:

I didn't know that.
I'm pretty sure the support for slavery per se wasn't universal, though.

Edit: it's easy for us (in retrospect) to castigate anybody who fought on the side of the slavers, but a lot of them were just conscripts, rounded up by the bushwhackers and forced into service. And a lot were just trying to protect their own homes in a time when "neutral" wasn't acceptable to anyone and union support would lead to destruction.
And a lot fought for their state because they saw it as the patriotic thing to do, but most fought to protect their farms and home from an attacking army. True or not, they saw it as The War of Northern Aggression, a belief that ran so deep that many couldn't bring themselves to vote republican for a hundred years

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:24 pm

However they got there they were on the wrong side - morality, economics, resources, population - and they lost. That should have been the end of it.

They were, and they did. But that doesn't mean they actually supported slavery - or even secession for that matter.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:45 pm
Vrede too wrote:

However they got there they were on the wrong side - morality, economics, resources, population - and they lost. That should have been the end of it.

They were, and they did. But that doesn't mean they actually supported slavery - or even secession for that matter.
Doesn't matter to me. Having been duped and manipulated is cause for shame and even anger at their leaders. It's no excuse for 158 years of racism and whining about the people they took up arms against.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:45 pm
O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

Doesn't matter to me. Having been duped and manipulated is cause for shame and even anger at their leaders. It's no excuse for 158 years of racism and whining about the people they took up arms against.
The racism is also from the north - maybe more so. Look at the Sundown town locations.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:45 pm
O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

Well there is that.