Slavery By Another Name

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Ulysses
Vice admiral

Re: Slavery By Another Name

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:48 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:33 am
Ford gum wasn't round; it was square.
Opps! I am wrong. Ford gum did come in rounds. I only ever saw the square kind personally. I remember getting a whole mouthful of Ford gum at once; it was like having a bunch of broken off teeth in your mouth except it tasted sweet instead of bloody.
Good for you I was asleep when you made that heinous lie.

Those Ford squares probably were ancient and dried out. Any gum will get hard and brittle as it dries out. Next time, chuck your broken teeth substitutes into a pressure cooker, set it for four hours, and let us know.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I knew you'd be proud. This doesn't mean I'm sucking up to the sahm. Soon I'll be running with scissors through all halls.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:35 pm
I knew you'd be proud. This doesn't mean I'm sucking up to the sahm. Soon I'll be running with scissors through all halls.
Not sure what "sucking up to the sahm" means. Also not sure I want to know. As for the scissor running, whatever floats your boat. As long as I am not in range.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:25 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:35 pm
Not sure what "sucking up to the sahm" means. Also not sure I want to know. As for the scissor running, whatever floats your boat. As long as I am not in range.
:x "sahm" is the proper acronym for YOUR OWN illiterate "SHAM". Dementia much?
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:41 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:07 pm
Slavs had serfs.
Yes but didn't one of Czars free the serfs?

Looked it up. Tsar Alexander made a speech to that effect in 1856, and by 1861 the serfs were emancipated.

Since my grandparents arrived in the USA about 40 years after that, and they were teens, I doubt they were ever serfs. They then proceeded to have something like 11 kids, all of whom lived to adulthood. I actually met my grandmother. I was very young and all I remember is she held me in her arms for about a 10 seconds. I gather she was a hard, no-nonsense woman. She'd toss a misbehaving kid across the room. So I guess I was lucky, LOL. My grandfather severely injured his arm in a Pennsylvania steel mill; the family photo shows evidence of a misshapen limb.

My Quebequois grandfather wound up in Rhode Island as a salesman for a gumball company (Ford). I remember the gum.
True. This same czar also spent the next 40 years rounding up the serf-owners and shipping them destitute to the US where some found work in the Pennsylvania steel mills, or so many people say.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:36 am
Ulysses wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:41 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:07 pm
Slavs had serfs.
Yes but didn't one of Czars free the serfs?

Looked it up. Tsar Alexander made a speech to that effect in 1856, and by 1861 the serfs were emancipated.

Since my grandparents arrived in the USA about 40 years after that, and they were teens, I doubt they were ever serfs. They then proceeded to have something like 11 kids, all of whom lived to adulthood. I actually met my grandmother. I was very young and all I remember is she held me in her arms for about a 10 seconds. I gather she was a hard, no-nonsense woman. She'd toss a misbehaving kid across the room. So I guess I was lucky, LOL. My grandfather severely injured his arm in a Pennsylvania steel mill; the family photo shows evidence of a misshapen limb.

My Quebequois grandfather wound up in Rhode Island as a salesman for a gumball company (Ford). I remember the gum.
True. This same czar also spent the next 40 years rounding up the serf-owners and shipping them destitute to the US where some found work in the Pennsylvania steel mills, or so many people say.
Not true. The czar who freed the serfs was Alexander II, who was assassinated in 1881. My grandparents came to America in 1898, long after the serf liberating czar was growing daisies.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

"Between 1880 and the mid-1920s, approximately 500,000 Slovaks immigrated to the United States. More than half of Slovak immigrants settled in Pennsylvania. Other popular destinations included Ohio, Illinois, New York and New Jersey. Also, Slovak, Arkansas was founded in 1894 by the Slovak Colonization Company."

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:38 am
"Between 1880 and the mid-1920s, approximately 500,000 Slovaks immigrated to the United States. More than half of Slovak immigrants settled in Pennsylvania. Other popular destinations included Ohio, Illinois, New York and New Jersey. Also, Slovak, Arkansas was founded in 1894 by the Slovak Colonization Company."
Slovaks are found primarily in, guess what?, Slovakia. They are Slavic but a subset of the entire Slavic population, which spans multiple nations today.

Also, it well may be that the term "Slav" never was meant in the same sense as "slave":
According to the prominent Byzantine historian Procopius of Caesarea, every year starting from the early period of Emperor Justinian’s reign (527 AD), the Slavs raided and took many captives and turned the land into a “Scythian desert.” Greek writers depicted the Slavs as those “who cannot be forced into slavery or subjugated in their own country.” Hence, it might be hard to imagine how the word “Slav” originated from “slaves.”

Simply homonyms?

One starts to wonder how then to explain this similarity of “Slav” and “slave” in Byzantine Greek? One explanation is that the two are just homonyms; they sound similar but have different meanings. But then, where does the Greek “slave” come from? It is argued that it originated in the word for plunder or taking war booty(skyleuein).

At the same, it’s worth pointing out there’s no consensus on the issue of the etymology of “Slav.” Some time ago there was a popular theory according to which the word derived from slava, “glory.” This was a Slavic reaction to the “slave approach,” but the majority of historians do not accept this.

In fact, the most popular version sees “Slavs” as deriving from slovo, “word,” (meaning “people who can speak our way”). There are also historians who tie the etymology of “Slavs” to the ancient Indo-European word, slauos, which meant, “people.”
Myths of Russian History: Does the word 'Slav' derive from 'slave'?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Goddamn, I'm no Slav but after all that I need a salve and maybe a fucking slave. It can even be a Slav. But I don't want no sloth. Shit.

O Really
Admiral

Of course, nobody in Michigan is racist anymore, but back in the day when they were, there was a joke that went:
"Why did Detroit get all the black people and Hamtramck got all the polacks?"
"Detroit got first choice."

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:52 pm
Of course, nobody in Michigan is racist anymore, but back in the day when they were, there was a joke that went:
"Why did Detroit get all the black people and Hamtramck got all the polacks?"
"Detroit got first choice."
The place was named for a terrible crash of a ham truck into the front of a place called "Bertram Block" and that's how it happened. The surviving letters on the truck and the building presented a word no one could pronounce and they stuck with it.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:44 pm
Goddamn, I'm no Slav but after all that I need a salve and maybe a fucking slave. It can even be a Slav. But I don't want no sloth. Shit.
You may not be a Slav, but you well might be a Slob.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:30 pm
He "might be" but he isn't, not IRL nor with the kind of sloppy "thinking" that you consistently exhibit here.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Ulysses wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Come on, punchy. I'm not the one with half a dozen derelict vehicles strewn about the place and I'm not the one with shitty plastic netting covering my gutters that rotted away and left a fucking mess. And I'm not the one who fouls his porch with mountains of cat kibble that attracts other wild animals. And if your house number is 5108 I am personally going to come out there and change it to read "SLOB."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:18 am
Ulysses wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Come on, punchy. I'm not the one with half a dozen derelict vehicles strewn about the place and I'm not the one with shitty plastic netting covering my gutters that rotted away and left a fucking mess. And I'm not the one who fouls his porch with mountains of cat kibble that attracts other wild animals. And if your house number is 5108 I am personally going to come out there and change it to read "SLOB."
Don't forget the stench from all of the hummingbirds, raccoons and feral cats that he hasn't found that were crushed by hoarded stacks of junk that toppled over.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I think I will get Ulysses a shirt with "Support Animal Husbandry" on it in the hope most people won't know what that is.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:21 am
I think I will get Ulysses a shirt with "Support Animal Husbandry" on it in the hope most people won't know what that is.

Typical sort of humor one might expect from a lower Slobovian...

O Really
Admiral

Back to the topic, sometimes "another name" actually refers to something different. Though similar in some aspects, "indentured servitude" isn't slavery. Not all "sex trafficking" is slavery. And just because Hitler ate bratwurst doesn't mean everybody who eats bratwurst is a Hitler follower.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:07 pm
Back to the topic, sometimes "another name" actually refers to something different. Though similar in some aspects, "indentured servitude" isn't slavery. Not all "sex trafficking" is slavery. And just because Hitler ate bratwurst doesn't mean everybody who eats bratwurst is a Hitler follower.
And Hitler loved dogs....
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Has anyone else on BRD bothered to watch the documentary in question, "Slavery by Another Name"?

Instead of just making stupid and insensitive jokes about it?