Slavery By Another Name

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Slavery By Another Name

Unread post by neoplacebo »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:16 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:04 pm

Flops around like a fish.
I could use those.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:16 pm
(idiotic attack)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:03 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:54 pm
Such bizarre goal post moving.

At least he admitted his age. At some point last year I mentioned about him being seventyish and he got butthurt and asked me to prove it or some sorry shit that basically claimed it wasn't so.
( :crybaby: )
:violin:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:04 pm
O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:37 pm
No member here thinks the Civil War was or should have been won by the renegades. No member here has ever defended the practice of slavery. Most members here aren't native southerners. Almost all members recognize that all states have racial issues. Almost no members try to make other members assume the sins of their current state of residence.
(lying :crybaby: )
Whooosh.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

I really wish Greedley would put me on ignore.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:33 pm
( :crybaby: gibberish)
:violin:
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:33 pm
I really wish (Vrede too) would put me on ignore.
No one cares about your wishes. Grow up and deal with it.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

This excellent show came around again today. I recorded to DVD again, just in case.

Saturday, February 26
2:00 pm
KQED Plus
Slavery By Another Name
1 hour 58 min
SLAVERY BY ANOTHER NAME challenges one of America's most cherished assumptions: the belief that slavery in this country ended with Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation of 1863. This documentary tells a harrowing story of how in the South, even as chattel slavery came to an end, new forms of involuntary servitude, including convict leasing, debt slavery and peonage, took its place with shocking force -- brutalizing and ultimately circumscribing the lives of hundreds of thousands of African Americans well into the 20th century. It was a system in which men, often guilty of no crime at all, were arrested, compelled to work without pay, repeatedly bought and sold and coerced to do the bidding of masters. The program spans eight decades, from 1865 to 1945, revealing the interlocking forces in both the South and the North that enabled this "neoslavery" to begin and persist. Using archival photographs and dramatic re-enactments, filmed on location in Alabama and Georgia, it tells the forgotten stories of both victims and perpetrators of neoslavery and includes interviews with their descendants living today. The program also features interviews with Douglas Blackmon, author of the Pulitzer Prize- winning book "Slavery by Another Name" and with leading scholars of this period.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:27 pm
... The program spans eight decades, from 1865 to 1945, revealing the interlocking forces in both the South and the North that enabled this "neoslavery" to begin and persist....
Connecticut, too, just as billy.pilgrim tried to educate you on? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.
Ulysses wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:27 pm
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:48 am
You do have a hard-on about Connecticut, don't you, BillyP?

Here's a clue: I spent the first ten years of my life in Connecticut. We moved to San Francisco when I was 11 and I've been living here for the past 60 years. I hadn't even learned about the Civil War until we got to California, nor did I know much about race relations, either. So you might want to re-focus on California if your goal is revenge on me for creating threads such as this one. Try growing a thicker skin while you're at it.
As you wish, not just California, your East Bay and choices made a lot more recently than the Civil War:
How Air Pollution Across America Reflects Racist Policy From the 1930s

Urban neighborhoods that were redlined by federal officials in the 1930s tended to have higher levels of harmful air pollution eight decades later, a new study has found, adding to a body of evidence that reveals how racist policies in the past have contributed to inequalities across the United States today....

California’s East Bay is a clear example.

The neighborhoods within Berkeley and Oakland that were redlined are on lower-lying land, closer to industry and bisected by major highways. People in those areas experience levels of nitrogen dioxide that are twice as high as in the areas that federal surveyors in the 1930s designated as “best,” or most favored for investment, according to the new pollution study.

Margaret Gordon has had decades of experience with these inequalities in West Oakland, a historically redlined neighborhood. Many children there have asthma related to traffic and industrial pollution. Residents have long struggled to fend off development projects that make the air even worse.

“Those people don’t have the voting capacity or the elected officials or the money to hire the lawyers to fight this,” said Gordon, co-director of the West Oakland Environmental Indicators Project, an advocacy group....

With less green space and more paved surfaces to absorb and radiate heat, historically redlined neighborhoods are 5 degrees hotter in summer, on average, than other areas. A 2019 study of eight California cities found that residents of redlined neighborhoods were twice as likely to visit emergency rooms for asthma....

Joshua S. Apte, an assistant professor of civil and environmental engineering at Berkeley who worked on the study, said he had assumed the differences between neighborhoods would be more pronounced in certain regions, like the South. Instead, the patterns he and his colleagues found were remarkably consistent across the country.

“This history of racist planning is so deeply ingrained in American cities basically of any stripe, anywhere,” Apte said. “We went looking for this regional story, and it’s not there.” ...
Huh, imagine that. Thanks for the suggestion.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:56 am
Ulysses wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:48 am
You do have a hard-on about Connecticut, don't you, BillyP?

Here's a clue: I spent the first ten years of my life in Connecticut. We moved to San Francisco when I was 11 and I've been living here for the past 60 years. I hadn't even learned about the Civil War until we got to California, nor did I know much about race relations, either. So you might want to re-focus on California if your goal is revenge on me for creating threads such as this one. Try growing a thicker skin while you're at it.
As you wish, not just California, your East Bay and choices made a lot more recently than the Civil War:
How Air Pollution Across America Reflects Racist Policy From the 1930s

Urban neighborhoods that were redlined by federal officials in the 1930s tended to have higher levels of harmful air pollution eight decades later, a new study has found, adding to a body of evidence that reveals how racist policies in the past have contributed to inequalities across the United States today....

California’s East Bay is a clear example.

The neighborhoods within Berkeley and Oakland that were redlined are on lower-lying land, closer to industry and bisected by major highways. People in those areas experience levels of nitrogen dioxide that are twice as high as in the areas that federal surveyors in the 1930s designated as “best,” or most favored for investment, according to the new pollution study.

Margaret Gordon has had decades of experience with these inequalities in West Oakland, a historically redlined neighborhood. Many children there have asthma related to traffic and industrial pollution. Residents have long struggled to fend off development projects that make the air even worse.

“Those people don’t have the voting capacity or the elected officials or the money to hire the lawyers to fight this,” said Gordon, co-director of the West Oakland Environmental Indicators Project, an advocacy group....

With less green space and more paved surfaces to absorb and radiate heat, historically redlined neighborhoods are 5 degrees hotter in summer, on average, than other areas. A 2019 study of eight California cities found that residents of redlined neighborhoods were twice as likely to visit emergency rooms for asthma....

Joshua S. Apte, an assistant professor of civil and environmental engineering at Berkeley who worked on the study, said he had assumed the differences between neighborhoods would be more pronounced in certain regions, like the South. Instead, the patterns he and his colleagues found were remarkably consistent across the country.

“This history of racist planning is so deeply ingrained in American cities basically of any stripe, anywhere,” Apte said. “We went looking for this regional story, and it’s not there.” ...
Huh, imagine that. Thanks for the suggestion.
Thicker skin? The piece of shit would do well to recognize history for what it was and is, instead of his juvenile " mine is better than yours" bullshit.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:52 am
Thicker skin? The piece of shit would do well to recognize history for what it was and is, instead of his juvenile " mine is better than yours" bullshit.
Isn't "mine is better than yours" exactly what you are doing?

I will disregard your name calling.

Have a nice day.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:11 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

No, we're mocking you. Damn, you're slow.

Have a nice day.

That's a passive-aggressive whine and not disregarding at all.
Try growing a thicker skin.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:28 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:11 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

No, we're mocking you. Damn, you're slow.

Have a nice day.

That's a passive-aggressive whine and not disregarding at all.
Try growing a thicker skin.
He said something wildly accusatory of anyone having southern ancestors for having said ancestors, as if some sort of blame follows forever.
He was respectfully given an opportunity to see how his opinion was dumb-fuck wrong on so many counts, yet he persisted with this ignorant attack then and continues even now.
At least I don't have to make up long stories about myself that no one reads.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:51 pm
He said something wildly accusatory of anyone having southern ancestors for having said ancestors, as if some sort of blame follows forever.
He was respectfully given an opportunity to see how his opinion was dumb-fuck wrong on so many counts, yet he persisted with this ignorant attack then and continues even now.
At least I don't have to make up long stories about myself that no one reads.
That's not how I remember it.

I do recall being a bit surprised at how triggered you got.

And now you are going full bore.

Whatever.

And if you must know, my whole intent of this thread was not to tar all southerners with the slavery name, but rather, to single out one particular disagreeable forum member who prances around pretending he's better and more woke than anyone else in the world. I made the mistake of assuming that you'd see this; I even PM'd you letting you know what my real intention was, but you either never got it, or refused to acknowledge it, and insisted on being an ass about it.

Have a nice life.
Last edited by Ulysses on Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Cower, Useless, cower.
Ulysses wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:37 pm
( :crybaby: )
It's pitiful that you so readily lie about what we all have seen. You dissed the South and went out of your way to associate we southerners with its sins of the past, especially relative to your CT and CA. Hence, we point out that CT is among the most segregated states and your East Bay has a horrendous history of racist development and redlining. Of course, since you're so sackless and thin skinned, you pretend not to get the point and project your thin skin upon us.

Just watch, see if anyone disputes me.
Ulysses wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:37 pm
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Peonage in the United States

After the U.S. Civil War, the South passed "Black Codes", laws to control freed black slaves. Vagrancy laws were included in these Black Codes. Homeless or unemployed African Americans who were between jobs, most of whom were former slaves, were arrested and fined as vagrants. Usually lacking the resources to pay the fine, the "vagrant" was sent to county labor or hired out under the convict lease program to a private employer. The authorities also tried to restrict the movement of freedmen between rural areas and cities, to between towns.

Under such laws, local officials arbitrarily arrested tens of thousands of people and charged them with fines and court costs of their cases. Black freedmen were those most aggressively targeted. Poor whites were also arrested, but usually in much smaller numbers. White merchants, farmers, and business owners were allowed to pay these debts, and the prisoner had to work off the debt. Prisoners were leased as laborers to owners and operators of coal mines, lumber camps, brickyards, railroads, quarries, and farm plantations, with the lease revenues for their labor going to the states. The lessors were responsible for room and board of the laborers, and frequently abused them with little oversight by the state. Government officials leased imprisoned blacks and whites to small town entrepreneurs, provincial farmers, and dozens of corporations looking for cheap labor. Their labor was repeatedly bought and sold for decades, well into the 20th century, long after the official abolition of American slavery.[4]

Southern states and private businesses profited by this form of unpaid labor. It is estimated that at the beginning of the 20th century, up to 40% of blacks in the South were trapped in peonage. Overseers and owners often used severe physical deprivation, beatings, whippings, and other abuse as "discipline" against the workers.[5]

After the Civil War, the Thirteenth Amendment prohibited involuntary servitude such as peonage for all but convicted criminals. Congress also passed various laws to protect the constitutional rights of Southern blacks, making those who violated such rights by conspiracy, by trespass, or in disguise, guilty of an offense punishable by ten years in prison and civil disability. Unlawful use of state law to subvert rights under the Federal Constitution was made punishable by fine or a year's imprisonment. But until the involuntary servitude was abolished by president Lyndon B. Johnson in 1966 (exact date unknown), sharecroppers in Southern states were forced to continue working to pay off old debts or to pay taxes. Southern states allowed this in order to preserve sharecropping.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peon

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Some people make share cropping sound so bad. A completely voluntary contract limited to a specific activity or crop and entered into by knowledge parties is the basis of capitalism.

People have been known to abuse and distort capitalism. Blacks and other minorities often end up on the shit end of the stick.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

-0-?