Ukraine

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Ukraine

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:40 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:10 am
... How is it the Russians don't shoot back?
-0-? Easier to spot a tank or APC than a guy with a rocket? I read how some of the anti-tank missiles can be left camouflaged and fired remotely.
Yeah, but that wasn't a guy with a rocket. He was in something with a video display and at least one other guy with him. Seemed like they were a good distance away based on travel time for the rocket, but I'm still surprised that the Russians just didn't open fire non discrimintely.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:47 am
Yeah, but that wasn't a guy with a rocket. He was in something with a video display and at least one other guy with him. Seemed like they were a good distance away based on travel time for the rocket, but I'm still surprised that the Russians just didn't open fire non discrimintely.
I thought it was a structure rather than a vehicle that they were firing from, but idk. I read that those Ukrainian anti-tank missiles have a range of 3.1 miles. If we knew their speed we could probably estimate the distance by counting the seconds from launch to "‘есть’ (yest) - which translates to ‘got it’."

I suppose that firing indiscriminately (and ineffectively) could call attention to a vehicle that may not have been spotted by the rocketeer yet.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:03 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:47 am
I thought it was a structure rather than a vehicle that they were firing from, but idk. I read that those Ukrainian anti-tank missiles have a range of 3.1 miles. If we knew their speed we could probably estimate the distance by counting the seconds from launch to "‘есть’ (yest) - which translates to ‘got it’."

I suppose that firing indiscriminately (and ineffectively) could call attention to a vehicle that may not have been spotted by the rocketeer yet.
Dunno, that's why I said they were inside something.....

Seems like they were doing a pretty good job picking them off. I would think that after the second one was hit someone would have been saying maybe we should fire thataway..... -0-?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Off the Ukraine topic, but a crazy Russian story. Actually, it's crazy funny and may hint at the problem in the discussion above.

https://youtu.be/yzGqp3R4Mx4
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:22 pm
Off the Ukraine topic, but a crazy Russian story. Actually, it's crazy funny and may hint at the problem in the discussion above.

https://youtu.be/yzGqp3R4Mx4
:lol: That's about right.
They have never had a true blue water fleet.

They need to call in a ringer.

And have the proper music to go with it.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

But October too long off.

Better you look for red July.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:20 pm
(post: childish gibberish)
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Russia's tanks in Ukraine have a 'jack-in-the-box' design flaw. And the West has known about it since the Gulf war

Oops!
(CNN)Russian tanks with their tops blown off are just the latest sign that Russia's invasion of Ukraine isn't going to plan.

Hundreds of Russian tanks are thought to have been destroyed since Moscow launched its offensive, with British Defense Secretary Ben Wallace on Monday estimating it had lost as many as 580.

But Moscow's problems go beyond the sheer number of tanks it has lost. Experts say battlefield images show Russian tanks are suffering from a defect that Western militaries have known about for decades and refer to as the "jack-in-the-box effect." Moscow, they say, should have seen the problem coming.

The problem relates to how the tanks' ammunition is stored. Unlike modern Western tanks, Russian ones carry multiple shells within their turrets. This makes them highly vulnerable as even an indirect hit can start a chain reaction that explodes their entire ammunition store of up to 40 shells.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:40 pm
Ulysses wrote:
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
That was some gibberish.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:09 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
That was some gibberish.
:lol:

U.S. Department of State
Ukraine Travel Advisory
Travel Advisory
April 19, 2022
Ukraine - Level 4: Do Not Travel
Ya' think?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:42 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:09 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
That was some gibberish.
:lol:

U.S. Department of State
Ukraine Travel Advisory
Travel Advisory
April 19, 2022
Ukraine - Level 4: Do Not Travel
Ya' think?
Fake news. My bud Vlad told me it was fine and there's no reason not to go. I will say this, I don’t see any reason why it would be.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:47 pm
Fake news. My bud Vlad told me it was fine and there's no reason not to go. I will say this, I don’t see any reason why it would be.”
Then just go. Please. Go. Go now. Don't delay any longer. Just go GoCubsGo.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:47 pm
:thumbup: One is actually safer during a "special military operation".
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:52 pm
(butthurt childish gibberish)
:crazy:
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Interesting interview with Russian dissident who fled to Ukraine some time ago. His analysis of Putin seems to make a lot of sense.

Key points: Putin's strategy includes making western leaders think he's insane and will start WWIII if opposed in Ukraine. This guy says that's an act, and that Putin hopes Western leaders will be too weak to oppose him militarily. On the other hand, he also claims Putin is somewhat deranged, and divorced from reality, as a result of the long time he has spent in isolation and shelter during the pandemic. He also says that while Putin is a brilliant psychologist and can read body language quite well, the pandemic has limited such one on one interactions, what with the reliance on zoom communications and paper reports, so that has limited his ability to see through the machinations of his advisors. Result: the poor decision to invade Ukraine.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: putin has God on his side - no, I mean it, he's more Christian than anyone

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... t-evil-man

'“We see many of the Euro-Atlantic countries are actually rejecting their roots, including the Christian values that constitute the basis of western civilisation. They are denying the moral principles and all traditional identities: national, cultural, religious and even sexual.”

Kyiv must be taken, in his mind, to preserve the Christian battle. And there may be many Christians in the west who agree with some of his sentiments.

A miracle defender of Christianity or the most evil man? Well, it is Ukrainian Christians among others whom he is now slaughtering indiscriminately and he has little understanding of Jesus, who said “blessed are the peacemakers”.

No, this is a power vision threaded through with nationalistic Christian theology. And evil is the right word when a leader uses religion to justify in God’s name invasion, violence and annihilation."
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

The idea of Putin is man of God is as laughable as trump is a man of God.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

What do you all think of Ponomarev's prediction that Putin will not last out this year?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:11 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... t-evil-man

'“We see many of the Euro-Atlantic countries are actually rejecting their roots, including the Christian values that constitute the basis of western civilisation. They are denying the moral principles and all traditional identities: national, cultural, religious and even sexual.”

Kyiv must be taken, in his mind, to preserve the Christian battle. And there may be many Christians in the west who agree with some of his sentiments.

A miracle defender of Christianity or the most evil man? Well, it is Ukrainian Christians among others whom he is now slaughtering indiscriminately and he has little understanding of Jesus, who said “blessed are the peacemakers”.

No, this is a power vision threaded through with nationalistic Christian theology. And evil is the right word when a leader uses religion to justify in God’s name invasion, violence and annihilation."
Looks to me like god is backing the other team. I take a lot of claims of Ukrainian successes with a grain of salt, but this seems credible to me:
Ex-NATO commander: Loss of top Russian officers amid invasion unprecedented in modern history

Retired Adm. James Stavridis, former NATO supreme allied commander for Europe, claims that the Russian military’s “amazing incompetence” in Ukraine has resulted in a loss of generals and other top officers that is unprecedented in modern history.

“In modern history, there is no situation comparable in terms of the deaths of generals … Here, on the Russian side, in a two-month period, we’ve seen at least a dozen if not more Russian generals killed,” Stavridis told John Catsimatidis on WABC 770 AM in an interview aired Sunday.

For comparison, Stavridis cited recent American conflicts, saying that “not a single general was lost in actual combat” in the U.S. wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

“It’s not just the generals being killed,” said Stavridis of the Russian military, additionally noting “their inability to conduct logistics,” “bad battle plan” and “loss of their flagship at sea.”

“It’s been a bad performance by the Russians thus far,” Stavridis said....
I'm not as sure of this yet, but it could add to the above:

A Russian general who commanded electronic warfare units was killed in a strike that killed 100 soldiers, top Ukraine official says
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Are the Russians going to run out of Generals first or tanks first?