Ukraine

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Ukraine

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 12:35 am
I miss rstrong.
Yep, sigh. I miss k9nanny, Bungalow Bill, Wneglia and JTA, too. I don't miss Mr.B.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 12:57 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
I miss rstrong.
Yep, sigh. I miss k9nanny, Bungalow Bill, Wneglia and JTA, too. I don't miss Mr.B.
Or Homerphobe.

Mike, Stinger, Crock, even Leo.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:09 am
Vrede too wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
I miss rstrong.
Or Homerphobe.

Crock's profile here says "Banned". Did you ban him? He now runs LNF. Doing a great job, BTW.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Great speech. Well worth a listen. I don't think it's already been posted.

https://youtu.be/CVlEkBHO_hc
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Anyone want me to merge the two Ukraine's?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 11:00 am
I agree. I just jumped on this one. Should have noticed that it was only 3 pages.

Went back to see who started it. Knanny and old fella JTA.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Anyone want me to merge the two Ukraines?
Good idea. I didn't mean to cause confusion, sorry, and all but this latest tangent will sort into pages before the 2022 thread.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Ulysses wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 3:40 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:09 am
Vrede too wrote:
GoCubsGo wrote:
I miss rstrong.
Or Homerphobe.

Crock's profile here says "Banned". Did you ban him? He now runs LNF. Doing a great job, BTW.
Correction: Under Crock Hunter's Location, it says, "THIS USER IS BANNED".

Might be something he added... ?

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
As he goes into full Putin...

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Wow, check out the banner for Ukrayinska Pravda:
War in Ukraine. Total approximate losses of the enemy for day 77
If even close to accurate it's amazing. One example:
2856+48
Armoured fighting vehicles
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 3:08 pm
Wow, check out the banner for Ukrayinska Pravda:
War in Ukraine. Total approximate losses of the enemy for day 77
If even close to accurate it's amazing. One example:
2856+48
Armoured fighting vehicles
I do hope it's true.

A cursory search for hard numbers on Russian losses resulted in only this article and even less for Ukrainian losses.

Why aren't there more estimates?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 5:40 pm
I do hope it's true.

A cursory search for hard numbers on Russian losses resulted in only this article and even less for Ukrainian losses.

Why aren't there more estimates?
It's been a fraught issue since before the Vietnam body counts. Not even overwhelming modern aerial surveillance can say for sure. Some verification has to happen on the ground. Plus, honest mistakes are typical for the 'fog of war'. Then, military units at all level have an incentive to exaggerate their successes and minimize their losses, and media and other independent observers can't be everywhere. The only restraint on excesses is that militaries and govts usually wish to retain some degree of credibility.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ukrainian Sees Russian Troops In His New Home Via Webcam, Gets 'Bastards' Bombed
“I felt dirty looking at some guys walking inside my house,” millionaire Andrey Stavnitser told "Good Morning Britain."

A millionaire Ukrainian business titan said he asked Ukraine’s army to bomb his own newly built home after his security webcam showed Russian troops were using it as a base....

It was “an obvious decision” to call for his estate to be reduced to rubble, he said.

“It’s not about money,” he added. “I want to do everything possible to help Ukraine win, because I think we are safeguarding Europe’s safety and it’s important to kick those bastards out of our land.”

“Good Morning Britain” showed aerial footage of Stavnitser’s home after the Ukrainian strike. Parts of the sprawling structure were reduced to rubble and Russian military equipment was scattered in the ruins.
:---P Still, must have been difficult.

Interesting article.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Russia Loses ‘Entire Battalion’ on Blown Up Bridge, Says Ukraine
TROUBLED WATERS
Satellite images appear to show the remnants of tanks and other Russian military hardware around a destroyed pontoon bridge over a river in the Luhansk region.

... New satellite images from BlackSky intelligence firm show the parts that remain of a pontoon bridge built by Russian troops to access the Ukrainian territory. Images showed smoke rising from the bridge after it was hit by Ukrainian artillery on May 10, leaving Russian tanks and trucks protruding from the water. It is unclear how many Russian troops died in the strike, but Forbes put its estimate at around 1,000 troops and 50 tanks. Britain’s defense intelligence said almost all of the Russian force’s armored vehicles were lost in the battle.
Opps.
... Ukraine’s defense ministry reveled in the evidence of the bridge strike, posting on Twitter that it had “opened the holiday season” for Russian soldiers, which it referred to as “ruscists.” The post showed the same satellite imagery and a smug comment about the Russian tourists. “Some bathed in the Siverskyi Donets River, and some were burned by the May sun,” they said.
:---P
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I don't believe anywhere near 1,000 troops were killed in this incident because I don't think that many troops could occupy the pontoon bridge at the same time and I don't see even one body in the displayed image.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Having never been in an army, I will guess that an engineering battalion erecting a pontoon bridge that will take several hours to accomplish will not have all the troops and vehicles intending to cross it just standing around waiting for the bridge to be completed. I have to assume a lot of this activity was observed in real time by Ukrainians and of course they waited until the bridge was finished to attack. I just don't believe that many Russians were killed in this particular incident. Maybe 150 or 200 but not 1,000

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 4:23 pm
Having never been in an army, I will guess that an engineering battalion erecting a pontoon bridge that will take several hours to accomplish will not have all the troops and vehicles intending to cross it just standing around waiting for the bridge to be completed. I have to assume a lot of this activity was observed in real time by Ukrainians and of course they waited until the bridge was finished to attack. I just don't believe that many Russians were killed in this particular incident. Maybe 150 or 200 but not 1,000
Yes, the wrecked armor in and near the water indicates that the bridge was completed. -0-? about the troops, but I think that Forbes is a more credible source than some. Maybe the source article elaborates on the estimate. There's drone video that indicates action in a wider area than just the bridge. Maybe the estimates are for the larger battle.

Or, it's all pro-Ukrainian :bs: .
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 4:35 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 4:23 pm
Yes, the wrecked armor in and near the water indicates that the bridge was completed. -0-? about the troops, but I think that Forbes is a more credible source than some. Maybe the source article elaborates on the estimate. There's drone video that indicates action in a wider area than just the bridge. Maybe the estimates are for the larger battle.

Or, it's all pro-Ukrainian :bs: .
Hard to say. But it's no secret that warring armies tend to exaggerate their victories and minimize their defeats or mistakes. I just find it hard to believe that a thousand Russian soldiers died at this pontoon bridge. You can figure maybe a dozen or twenty at most in one of those hefty brute road blasters, only three or four in a tank. Even if Ukraine blasted hell out of the area around the place I doubt a thousand Russians would have died. I think the best thing would be to send Peter Navarro there on a fact finding mission.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 9:00 pm
Hard to say. But it's no secret that warring armies tend to exaggerate their victories and minimize their defeats or mistakes. I just find it hard to believe that a thousand Russian soldiers died at this pontoon bridge. You can figure maybe a dozen or twenty at most in one of those hefty brute road blasters, only three or four in a tank. Even if Ukraine blasted hell out of the area around the place I doubt a thousand Russians would have died. I think the best thing would be to send Peter Navarro there on a fact finding mission.
Not disagreeing with you, but some perhaps most of the destroyed armor was APCs. -0-?

"hefty brute road blasters"?
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 9:09 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 9:00 pm
Not disagreeing with you, but some perhaps most of the destroyed armor was APCs. -0-?

"hefty brute road blasters"?
:lol: Well, I did admit to never having been in an army. I could have typed Strykers or Bradleys but just decided to call the Russian transports hefty brute road blasters. Besides, I figure that's what a Ukrainian farmer would call them.