Ukraine

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ukraine

Unread post by Vrede too »

With the regional secession and occupation it seems certain that we'll be discussing Ukraine for a long time. Feels worthy of its own thread to me, but if folks want to stick with Other countries, so be it.

Ukraine-Russia: Germany suspends Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline

Big step towards NATO solidarity.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Ukraine

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:16 pm
With the regional secession and occupation it seems certain that we'll be discussing Ukraine for a long time. Feels worthy of its own thread to me
Probably overdue for it's own thread, just hope we don't need to expand it.

The fear is real. It's got a 1930's vibe.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

The thread title may prove to be geographically optimistic.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

I wonder if Putin will be content with "just" annexing Luhansk and Donetsk oblasts, or if he will insist on all of the larger Donbass region.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:01 pm
I wonder if Putin will be content with "just" annexing Luhansk and Donetsk oblasts, or if he will insist on all of the larger Donbass region.
Really?
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:07 pm

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:46 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:01 pm
Really?
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:07 pm

Well, I don't discount Putin's capability to annex all of Ukraine, to restore the Russian equivalent of the Soviet empire. And perhaps topple various western democracies at the same time. And it could happen. Putin being Trump's good buddy.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:25 pm
Ouch, well put. :problem:

We may need a thread titled 'SSRs'.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:13 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:25 pm
Ouch, well put. :problem:

We may need a thread titled 'SSRs'.
Or former "Stans".

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

He's even gonna go after people currently named Stan.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: meanwhile at the GQP

Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: meanwhile at fox

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: and in crazy candaceland

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

It sort of makes me wish Reagan was still alive. But then again, the GQP is so far gone at this point not even Ron Ray Gun could fish slap some sense into them.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:08 am
It sort of makes me wish Reagan was still alive. But then again, the GQP is so far gone at this point not even Ron Ray Gun could fish slap some sense into them.
:thumbup:

Interesting, and relevant to your post:
The real reason Putin played a pussycat during the Trump presidency

... Trump was indeed volatile, impulsive, and capricious. It's certainly possible that Putin feared a move against Ukraine could spark a massive military response from Trump.

But it's far more likely he hoped for something very different. As Jonathan Last pointedly suggested on Tuesday in his newsletter for The Bulwark, Trump expressed his desire on numerous occasions for the United States to withdraw from NATO altogether. He did so while campaigning for president in 2016. He did so as president. And apparently, he even made clear to advisers he hoped to make it a reality after he won re-election in 2020.

Since such a withdrawal is Putin's fondest wish, it makes far greater sense to suppose his relative restraint during the Trump presidency was a function of a reasonable expectation he might get everything he wanted without having to fire a shot. Only now, with a less … unorthodox American president in charge, has war become Putin's only means of advancing his more immediate aim of ensuring NATO moves no closer to Russian territory.

Putin didn't play nice guy from 2017 to 2020 because he was afraid of Donald Trump. He did so because he knew he had nothing to fear from the fanboy in the Oval Office.
In a different region Dolt 45 handed Syria to Putin. Vlad never had to challenge the US there.
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Russia has invaded Ukraine.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:07 pm
Russia has invaded Ukraine.
GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:24 pm
The "Peacekeeping" mission begins.
In earnest.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vlad has been taking lessons from Kim Jong Un.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

It's almost as if Trump is now writing Putin's speeches.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

China on the situation in Ukraine:
China has refused to condemn Russia's attack on Ukraine Thursday, instead repeating calls for parties to "exercise restraint" and accusing the United States of "fueling fire" in the tensions.

In a Ministry of Foreign Affairs briefing that went on for more than 90 minutes, spokesperson and Assistant Minister of Foreign Affairs Hua Chunying dodged more than 11 questions regarding Russia's actions in Ukraine. They included repeated inquiries on whether Beijing would consider Russia's acts an invasion and whether they violated Ukraine's territorial integrity.

Hua added that China would begin importing Russian wheat, a move that could ease the impact of Western sanctions on Russia.

"The Ukraine issue has a very complicated historical background. It has evolved to the present situation due to the joint action of various factors ... security should be a matter of joint cooperation and sustainable security, and the legitimate security concerns of all parties should be respected and addressed," Hua said sticking closely to comments made the previous day.

China is "closely following the latest situation" and calls on parties to "exercise restraint to avoid the situation getting out of control," Hua said repeatedly.

After questions from multiple media on whether China considered Russia's moves an invasion, Hua asked reporters, "Why are you obsessed with this question?
"You can ask the US side. They keep fueling fires ... You can ask them if they have any plans to put out the fire."

Http://cnn.com/europe/live-news/ukraine ... index.html
Damn. I feel like they're not even trying.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:36 am
Vlad has been taking lessons from Kim Jong Un.

I saw a video of Putin speaking with one of his ministers. The dude looks like he's losing it. He looks stressed and pissed and straight up crazy. I feel like throughout this whole situation he hasn't been able to control the narrative, and the west beat him at his own propaganda game by releasing Intel refuting everything he claimed. And in the end that Intel was proven correct. I wonder if that's gotten under his skin?