Ukraine

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
k9nanny
General

Re: Ukraine

Unread post by k9nanny »

No, no, no.
You're wrong. We're all wrong.
This is a link from Banni's retail site. :o

http://intellihub.com/lost-alien-techno ... ing-wwiii/
Lost alien technology: Are the 65M-year-old pyramids found in Crimea the reason for a coming WWIII?
Se Non Ora, Quando?

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

I don't even pretend to know enough about the history of the Ukraine to speak on it. I just know there is a lot of history between the Ukraine and Russia.

bannination
Captain

k9nanny wrote:No, no, no.
You're wrong. We're all wrong.
This is a link from Banni's retail site. :o

http://intellihub.com/lost-alien-techno ... ing-wwiii/
Lost alien technology: Are the 65M-year-old pyramids found in Crimea the reason for a coming WWIII?

I guess the aliens came back for Justin, but decided not to take him? Oh the humanity!!!!!!

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

I don't even pretend to know enough about the history of the Ukraine to speak on it. I just know there is a lot of history between the Ukraine and Russia.
I wrote a paper in college on Ukraine back during the Orange Revolution and got a B+ (maybe even an A, can't remember). I also worked with a bunch of Ukranians back in the day and listen to a few Ukranian metal bands, so I'm more or less a Ukrainian expert. Any questions you have feel free to ask.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Ukraine Facts with JTA:

- The capital of Ukraine is Kiev.
- Ukraine used to be part of the Soviet Union.
- A lot of white people live in Ukraine.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

"Those Ukraine girls really knock me out....." Back in the USSR

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Ukraine Facts with JTA:

- Every Ukrainian I've worked with was a terrible worker.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Sarah Palin said the other day at the wingnut convention that the only thing standing in the way of a bad guy with a nuke is a good guy with a nuke. It looks to me like whoever is in charge of making sure she shuts up is either drinking on the job or has resigned in protest. It probably is a tough job.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

JTA wrote:Ukraine Facts with JTA:

Word is that those women welders and fabricators at Vladivostok kick ass. Maybe the Beatles were on to something.

bannination
Captain

JTA wrote:
I wrote a paper in college on Ukraine back during the Orange Revolution and got a B+ (maybe even an A, can't remember). I also worked with a bunch of Ukranians back in the day and listen to a few Ukranian metal bands, so I'm more or less a Ukrainian expert. Any questions you have feel free to ask.

How are you still alive after working with them? :mrgreen:

bannination
Captain

neoplacebo wrote:Sarah Palin said the other day at the wingnut convention that the only thing standing in the way of a bad guy with a nuke is a good guy with a nuke. It looks to me like whoever is in charge of making sure she shuts up is either drinking on the job or has resigned in protest. It probably is a tough job.

She just likes dudes with big nukes, nothing wrong with that.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Does anyone else find it fishy that Malaysian Air flight 370 went missing right when we were in the midst of the Ukraine crisis?

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

neoplacebo wrote:
JTA wrote:Ukraine Facts with JTA:

Word is that those women welders and fabricators at Vladivostok kick ass. Maybe the Beatles were on to something.
Unsure what you meant by that, :-0?> but Vladivostok ain't nowhere near Ukraine....it's closer to Sarah Palin.
neoplacebo wrote: "Those Ukraine girls really knock me out....." Back in the USSR"
Uh-huh! Or anywhere else!

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Let's get serious for a moment......something I can't understand.

Crimea has overwhelmingly voted to secede from Ukraine and join Russia. The rest of the world, including our own liberal-spouting administration, is condemning the action, calling it an unlawful action. If that's what the people want, what business is it of the rest of the world? Why is our POTUS spouting "sanctions" against Russia and everyone else who supports this move? Does our POTUS really know what he's talking about, or is he just putting on a face? -0-?

Could our intervention is matters on the other side of the globe lead to a military showdown? Putin has already told the US to stay out of their business,
and that if warranted, the US could be reduced to a pile of radioactive ash......thoughts anyone?

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Mr.B wrote:Let's get serious for a moment......something I can't understand.

Crimea has overwhelmingly voted to secede from Ukraine and join Russia. The rest of the world, including our own liberal-spouting administration, is condemning the action, calling it an unlawful action. If that's what the people want, what business is it of the rest of the world? Why is our POTUS spouting "sanctions" against Russia and everyone else who supports this move? Does our POTUS really know what he's talking about, or is he just putting on a face? -0-?

Could our intervention is matters on the other side of the globe lead to a military showdown? Putin has already told the US to stay out of their business,
and that if warranted, the US could be reduced to a pile of radioactive ash......thoughts anyone?
Suppose a bunch of counties along the US/Mexico border with a high percentage of Mexican descendants voted to leave the US and become part of Mexico, now Suppose Mexico sent troops over the border, occupied that territory, and allowed a referendum to decide whether or not they wanted to leave the US or become part of Mexico and the citizens voted to become part of Mexico. The US wouldn't be to happy with letting those counties go since it violates our sovereignty. Same idea with Ukraine.

A lot of people are equating the Crimea crisis with Hitler's annexation of the Sudetenland. We already know how that panned out. Many of our allies are watching the crises closely as they also have sizable Russian minorities (Baltic states). Does this mean that some province/city/county in, say, Estonia, that has a sizable Russian minority, can be occupied by Russia under the pretext of "protecting" their citizens and hold a referendum on whether or not that city wants to join the Russian Federation? That's a clear violation of the countries territorial sovereignty.

It may be a bit more complex than that, but I think that's the general gist of the thought process of those who oppose the Crimea referendum. It's being seen as a de-facto invasion by Russia.

In all fairness, we (the US) sort of did the same thing to Hawaii. We don't really have any room to talk, but still, that doesn't mean Russia should have a carte blanc to annex whichever territory they please (referendum or not). It's all part of the game of global politics.
Last edited by JTA on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Something else to keep in mind - you better believe China is keeping a close eye on how the West responds to Russia's annexation of Crimea. Remember, not too long ago China basically declared the Senkaku islands theirs. I'm certain they're watching the events in Crimea very intently.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote: I don't pretend to know what we should do but a response to the first annexation of European territory by force of arms since 1945 does warrant a response.
It's my belief that a large scale conflict between Russia and NATO, even if it remained wholly conventional, would be the final death blow for the West and only exacerbate decline. The only clear victor in such a situation would be China. I think China realizes this and that's why they're staying somewhat neutral in regards to Crimea.

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Unread post by Bungalow Bill »

The key is right there in the lyrics, the Ukraine girls....they leave the West behind.
At least the Crimea has, maybe.

Some poor soul did the almost masochistic job of going back and seeing what some
of the professional wingnuts had to say when Russia invaded Georgia back in 2008,
when Bush II was president. Pretty close to crickets. Now that Obama is president
it's completely different. Plus it's a little difficult for a country that has invaded two
countries within the last dozen years to complain about another country invading
part of one. :lolno:

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Thanks y'all. Due to my hectic work schedule, I haven't been following the story too closely; enough that is, to get the full gist of what's going on. I did know that the Ukrainian president was living a corrupt, lavish lifestyle and Ukrainians wanted him out of office. Since he was pretty much a puppet of Russia and good friends with Putin, I assumed that Putin was making a show of force in his support. The scenario that JTA provided in the first response to my inquiry cleared the air a bit.

The only part that's still unclear to me is why part of the Ukraine wants to join Russia.

There's a young lady where I work from the Ukraine, and she's much alarmed about relatives still in the country.

I hope to be able to follow further developments more closely....thanks again.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Mr.B wrote:Thanks y'all. Due to my hectic work schedule, I haven't been following the story too closely; enough that is, to get the full gist of what's going on. I did know that the Ukrainian president was living a corrupt, lavish lifestyle and Ukrainians wanted him out of office. Since he was pretty much a puppet of Russia and good friends with Putin, I assumed that Putin was making a show of force in his support. The scenario that JTA provided in the first response to my inquiry cleared the air a bit.

The only part that's still unclear to me is why part of the Ukraine wants to join Russia.

There's a young lady where I work from the Ukraine, and she's much alarmed about relatives still in the country.

I hope to be able to follow further developments more closely....thanks again.

no expert here, but from what I understand by not watching the news,

Crimea has a more historical relationship with Russia than with Ukraine and is only part of Ukraine due to some innocent boundary shuffling while all were part of the happy soviet family. There has also been a lot of discrimination toward ethnic Russians in several of the breakaway countries and there is a new (or proposed - I'm not sure) language law that Ukraine was to impose on the mostly Russian speaking Crimea, to restrict their use of the Russian language.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”