War on Children

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

War on Children

Unread post by Vrede too »

I couldn't think of an existing thread this fits in. It's hardly "Education".

Not the shallow airhead that she portrays:
'I’m still processing the trauma': Paris Hilton advocates for federal law to end institutional child abuse

... The last stop on my terrible journey was Provo Canyon School, a lockdown facility where I was sent after I escaped from a couple boot-camp type places. On my first day, I was forced to remove all my clothes, squat and cough, and submit to a gynecological exam – all watched closely by male staff. Although it was an extremely uncomfortable experience, I was led to believe it was a legitimate, routine check for contraband. But what I couldn’t understand as a 16-year-old girl was why that internal exam would be done to me frequently during my time at Provo, and only during the middle of the night....
In the 1990s I attended a spoken word performance by Jello Biafra. He didn't claim to be a victim of the "troubled teen industry", but he spoke authoritatively, at length and in the harshest possible terms about it. I remember that he singled out a Utah "school", but it may not have been the Provo Canyon School, which is still open :ateeth: . The timing does sync between his talk and Hilton's incarceration. I can't find the set among his track listings, but some of the titles are pretty broad. Anyhow, very impactful. Good on Biafra and Hilton for speaking out.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: War on Children

Here are the 9 Republicans who voted against a bill to help poor families buy baby formula amid the ongoing shortage

... The "no" votes were cast by GOP Reps. Andy Biggs, Lauren Boebert, Thomas Massie, Clay Higgins, Matt Gaetz, Chip Roy, Paul Gosar, Louie Gohmert, and Marjorie Taylor Greene....
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 3:18 pm
Here are the 9 Republicans who voted against a bill to help poor families buy baby formula amid the ongoing shortage

... The "no" votes were cast by GOP Reps. Andy Biggs, Lauren Boebert, Thomas Massie, Clay Higgins, Matt Gaetz, Chip Roy, Paul Gosar, Louie Gohmert, and Marjorie Taylor Greene....
Soooo....the article fails to mention why they voted against it. -0-?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

My guess is because the bill is sponsored by two Democrats. That is all they need to know to vote against it. Pitiful

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 3:43 pm
True, bad editor, but it does say this about a companion bill:
... According to The Hill, House Minority Whip Steve Scalise urged Republican members to vote no on HR 7790, arguing that Speaker Nancy Pelosi was pushing the bill forward "in hopes of covering up the administration's ineptitude by throwing additional money at the FDA with no plan to actually fix the problem, all while failing to hold the FDA accountable." ...
Perhaps we can infer that the "reasoning" for opposing the first bill is similar.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Imagine the squawking that would come from the GQP if the FDA had looked the other way and allowed tainted formula to be marketed and dozens of infants died. Suddenly the issue would be failure of the FDA. There's just no way to appease these fools.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

Pro afterbirth abortion.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

bannination wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 4:41 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

Pro afterbirth abortion.
I imagine the bill will have to go to the US Senate, hopefully with a majority yes vote.

Here's a fun site:

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/117-2022/h218

I see from the table in the above link, all California reps voted YES to help feed the children.

What's the prediction on the Senate vote?