End of Roe - the fight continues

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: End of Roe - the fight continues

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:36 pm
Hell, I bet the asshole wins the contest. But I hope he got gang raped in the parking lot after leaving the event, gets pregnant and delivers an asshole baby, and then beats it to death with the butt of an AR-15. Probably get him a lot of votes and dates.
:o :D How do you really feel?

I was confused about the votes and where Roberts stood :oops: . Maybe I was the only one.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Chief: Officer hit woman at abortion rally, should be fired

... “Based on the facts and circumstances presented to me, I have lost confidence in your capacity and ability to exercise self-control, and to conduct yourself in a civil, respectful and professional manner. Accordingly, I recommend that you be terminated from employment as a Providence police officer," Clements wrote....
:---P

Saving billy.pilgrim the effort ;) : He'll get a cop job elsewhere.
Sigh, yep, but maybe he'll get locked up first.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:o :D :---P
After Politico leaked a draft opinion suggesting that the Supreme Court could soon overturn Roe v. Wade in May, Fonda appeared on The View to urge viewers to "fight like hell to not allow this to happen."

"And if it does [overturn], fight like hell through the vote. One of the things that this horrendous leak shows us is the importance of voting. We allowed someone to be elected to office who has put three fringe, right-wing people into the Supreme Court, which is supposed to be a non-political, non-activist body," she said, referring to Donald Trump. "The Republicans complain about activist Supreme Court, activist lawyers — this is the most activist, politically oriented, narrowly focused Supreme Court in United States history, so we have to vote. We have to mobilize to get out the vote in the midterm elections and in 2024 to make sure that we don't put in office anyone who does not support women's right to choose and doesn't understand the crisis called the climate crisis, which we have only eight years to address."

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Fonda joins many others in Hollywood and politics who've spoken out against the Court, including Barack and Michelle Obama, Taylor Swift, Shonda Rhimes, Bette Midler, and Kathy Griffin.

Comparing vaginas to AK47s is not his style. ;)
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Horrid

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Seems like that could fall under cruel and unusual.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:10 pm
With this SCOTUS?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:22 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:10 pm
With this SCOTUS?
Well, some lower courts anyways as these would be extremely time sensitive.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Claudia Conway, 17, Leads Pro-Choice Rally as Conservative Mom Kellyanne’s Book Drops Off Amazon Top 1000

Claudia Conway is a chip off the old block. Her father’s.

Claudia, now 17, is the daughter of ruthless liar, Trump supporter still, and danger to the republic Kellyanne Conway.

Over the weekend, Claudia led a pro-choice rally in Englewood, New Jersey and declared on Twitter that she wouldn’t be celebrating July 4th because of the Supreme Court rollback of Roe v. Wade.
:clap:
Meanwhile, her mother’s book, “Let’s Return to the Dark Ages,” aka “Here’s the Deal,” dropped off Amazon’s top 1000 after a month in release. It’s one of the quickest disasters in book publishing history....
:lol:

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:03 am

Claudia Conway is a chip off the old block. Her father’s.

Claudia, now 17, is the daughter of ruthless liar, Trump supporter still, and danger to the republic Kellyanne Conway.

Advertised as a #publiccervixannouncement.

Well done Claudia!

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:56 pm
Deeply unstoked

https://www.reddit.com/r/premiuminterne ... urce=share
:D Wayne Campbell and Garth Algar

Hear me, my City Council! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will bone no more forever.
Link
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Pete Buttigieg Praised for ‘Intelligent and Precise’ Interview Schooling Fox News on Kavanaugh Protesters (Video)
”I like when Pete goes on Fox ‘News’ to debunk their talking points with facts, class, and common sense,“ one social media user said

U.S. Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg is being lauded for speaking “intelligently and precisely” during an appearance on Fox News Sunday with Mike Emanuel, where he defended his husband Chasten’s pointed tweet about people protesting justice Brett Kavanaugh at a Washington D.C. restaurant.

In a clip from the interview, Emanuel asked the politician if the tweet — which read, “Sounds like [Kavanaugh] just wanted some privacy to make his own dining decisions” in reference to Kavanaugh’s role in overturning Roe v. Wade — was “appropriate.”
:lol: :---P Excellent tweet, Chasten.
Buttigieg began his answer by establishing that public officials should always be free of “violence, harassment and intimidation” in public locations, while adding that they will “never be free of criticism or peaceful protest” from individuals exercising their rights to freedom of speech.
RepuQs and Faux Noise sure are delicate snowflakes.
He continued, “Remember, the justice [Kavanaugh] never even came in contact with these protesters. They reportedly didn’t see or hear them, and these protesters are upset because a right — an important right, that the majority of Americans support — was taken away. Not only the right to choose, by the way, but this justice was part of the process of stripping away the right to privacy.”

“As long as I’ve been alive, the seventh case law of the Constitution protected a right to privacy, and that has now been thrown out the window by the justices, including justice Kavanaugh, who — as I recall — swore up and down, in front of God and everyone, including the United States Congress, that they were going to leave settled case law alone,” Buttigieg added.

Resultantly, Buttigieg said that peaceful protesters’ First Amendment rights are protected, contrasting that with the realities of the House investigative committee on the Capitol rioters and saying that the nation is “reckoning with a mob summoned by the former president … for the purpose of overthrowing the election and very nearly succeeded in preventing the peaceful transfer of power. I think common sense can tell the difference.”
:happy-cheerleaderkid: Idk if the Dems would nominate a gay man, but assuming that Joe doesn't run Pete will make a formidable POTUS candidate.
... “I just watched Pete Buttigieg humiliate a Fox News anchor,” one person tweeted. “I like when Pete goes on Fox ‘News’ to debunk their talking points with facts, class, and common sense. Thank you Secretary Pete for not being afraid to challenge Rupert Murdoch’s disinformation machine.”
Did Chasten and Pete cook this up in order to get on Faux Noise, nttawwt, or did it just work out that way?

Hey look, neoplacebo is on Twitter:

:lol:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Biden administration says federal law preempts state abortion bans when emergency care is needed

In new clarifying guidance announced Monday, the Biden administration said that federal law preempts state abortion bans when emergency care is needed and that the federal government can penalize institutions or providers that fail to provide abortions as needed to treat medical emergencies.

"Under the law, no matter where you live, women have the right to emergency care -- including abortion care," HHS Secretary Xavier Becerra said in a news release Monday. "Today, in no uncertain terms, we are reinforcing that we expect providers to continue offering these services, and that federal law preempts state abortion bans when needed for emergency care."

... In a letter to the nation's health care providers on Monday, Becerra said a federal statute called the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act, also known as EMTALA, protects providers' clinical judgment and the actions they take to provide stabilizing treatment to pregnant patients who are under emergency medical conditions, regardless of restrictions in any given state....

The administration said examples of emergency medical conditions include, but are not limited to, ectopic pregnancy -- when the fertilized egg grows outside a woman's uterus -- and complications of miscarriages. Stabilizing treatment could include abortion.

Becerra said that if a state law bans abortion and does not include an exception for the life or health of the pregnant person, that law is preempted by the federal statute. ...
Good for Joe/Xavier, lives will be saved and I wouldn't have it any other way, but I wonder about the political implications:
Will pro-freedom arguments be somewhat deflated by fewer deaths in theory and practice?
Will misogynist pols gain some cover by the most odious aspect of their foul deeds being unenforceable?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Horror stories, some bad enough that I would have had to quit on the spot:

Confusion post-Roe spurs delays, denials for some lifesaving pregnancy care

:angry-banghead: :( :angry-cussing:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:11 am
Horror stories, some bad enough that I would have had to quit on the spot:

Confusion post-Roe spurs delays, denials for some lifesaving pregnancy care

:angry-banghead: :( :angry-cussing:
Jesus.

The laws of unintended consequences rears it's ugly head.

Are the wingnuts happy now?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:36 pm
Jesus.

The laws of unintended consequences rears it's ugly head.

Are the wingnuts happy now?
From your lips . . .

Could federal lands be a loophole for abortion access? Legal experts say it's complicated

:think: Crafty idea. I wonder if it'll fly or if the issues just make it too complex to try.
Smokey says..."only you can prevent pregnancies"
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

At least 17 Democratic lawmakers arrested outside Supreme Court during abortion rights protests

A number of Democratic representatives — including members of "The Squad" and House leadership — were arrested outside the Supreme Court on Tuesday afternoon for protesting the recent decision to overturn Roe v. Wade.

Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., and Katherine Clark, D-Mass., were among those arrested for blocking traffic. Clark serves as the assistant Speaker, the No. 4 position in Democratic leadership.

“The extremist Republican Party is determined to take us back in time and take away our rights. I refuse to stand on the sidelines as their rampage continues,” Clark said in a statement following her arrest. “I am furious and heartbroken, and I will proudly fight for our right to abortion and all of our Constitutional rights. They can arrest me, but we won’t allow them to arrest freedom.”
Not as eloquent as John Lewis, but not bad.
The Capitol Police said they had arrested 35 people, including 17 members of Congress, for "Crowding, Obstructing or Incommoding." Law enforcement officials said they had “already given our standard three warnings. Some of the demonstrators are refusing to get out of the street, so we are starting to make arrests.” ...
:headscratch: Don't you just hate it when people are incommoding?
to inconvenience or discomfort; disturb; trouble.
to impede; hinder.
Rep. Ayanna Pressley, D-Mass., another member of the Squad
Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minn.
Reps. Barbara Lee, age 76, California's 13th congressional district, Berkeley, Oakland, maybe Useless' district, maybe just north of his
Rashida Tlaib of Michigan
Cori Bush of Missouri
Jan Schakowsky, age 78!, Illinois's 9th congressional district, suburbs north of Chicago, not GoCubsGo's district
Jackie Speier, age 72, California's 14th congressional district, a sliver of southwestern San Francisco and most of the southern West Bay
Carolyn Maloney of New York
Veronica Escobar of Texas
Sara Jacobs, age 33, California's 53rd congressional district, San Diego County abutting O Really's district
Alma Adams, age 76, North Carolina's 12th congressional district, Charlotte and surrounding areas :clap:

Bonnie Watson, age 77, New Jersey's 12th congressional district, central NJ, suburban and contains the state capital of Trenton, different planet from Whack9's south Jersey
Nydia Velazquez of New York
Madeleine Dean of Pennsylvania
Andy Levin of Michigan, Y chromosomes represent!

:-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-||

I don't remember anything like this since the congressional South African Embassy protests in the 1980s, and I'm not sure if the total ever reached 17 members then.

Not represented: FL, MD, MT, SC, TN. :(
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.