Gun Legislation

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Gun Legislation

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I still don't understand why the fact that when the 2nd amendment was written and ratified, the only "arms" that existed were single shot muzzle or breech loaded arms. The Swiss Army knife rationale illustrates my point......the knife did not exist until 1891, about a hundred years after the 2nd amendment was written. By 1891 the Gatling gun existed but I don't recall there being an uproar over regular citizens clamoring for them. Anyway, it seems to me that emphasizing that only primitive (by current standard) arms were available in the era in which the 2nd amendment was written would be a sensible legal avenue to take in cases like this but as far as I know, this tactic has never been considered.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

I've always thought the big problem is that the second amendment establishes the right to arm bears but doesn't specify what species.

Black, brown, grizzly, koala, teddy, etc... ???

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:45 am
I've always thought the big problem is that the second amendment establishes the right to arm bears but doesn't specify what species.

If it weren't for the second amendment, we wouldn't have fat guys with bare hairy arms walking around in wife-beater shirts.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Californians should know that the locally extinct animal on their flag is the synonymous Grizzly-Brown. The other 7 extant species are Polar, Asian and American Black, Sun, Sloth (Bear), Spectacled and Giant Panda. The Koala (Marsupialia), Red Panda (Ailuridae) and Highway Patrol (Suinae) are not true bears, while Teddys represent the bears of all our childhoods and the fantasies of all male adulthoods.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear#Phylogeny
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:08 am
I still don't understand why the fact that when the 2nd amendment was written and ratified, the only "arms" that existed were single shot muzzle or breech loaded arms. The Swiss Army knife rationale illustrates my point......the knife did not exist until 1891, about a hundred years after the 2nd amendment was written. By 1891 the Gatling gun existed but I don't recall there being an uproar over regular citizens clamoring for them. Anyway, it seems to me that emphasizing that only primitive (by current standard) arms were available in the era in which the 2nd amendment was written would be a sensible legal avenue to take in cases like this but as far as I know, this tactic has never been considered.
I agree with you that the founders could have only meant the "arms" they knew of at the time. Otherwise, the 2nd confers the right to personal nukes. However, the ammosexuals and courts have a different view.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:49 am

I agree with you that the founders could have only meant the "arms" they knew of at the time. Otherwise, the 2nd confers the right to personal nukes. However, the ammosexuals and courts have a different view.
I could argue either way, although IMNVHO a proper interpretation of the amendment wouldn't include unlimited access to any and all firearms by anybody with the money to buy one or the opportunity to steal one. But if one argues that the Constitution is a living document that can be applied to changing conditions, then you'd have to include modern developments in firearm tech. Problem is they keep forgetting about the "regulated militia' part and consider "arms" to be unlimited in scope even though it clearly is not and has not historically been so.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:22 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:49 am

I could argue either way, although IMNVHO a proper interpretation of the amendment wouldn't include unlimited access to any and all firearms by anybody with the money to buy one or the opportunity to steal one. But if one argues that the Constitution is a living document that can be applied to changing conditions, then you'd have to include modern developments in firearm tech. Problem is they keep forgetting about the "regulated militia' part and consider "arms" to be unlimited in scope even though it clearly is not and has not historically been so.
Which, IIRC a standing militia was not even considered at the time the Bill of Rights was passed which necessitated the 2nd in the first place, right up there with housing militias in your home i.e. the third amendment.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:13 am
Ulysses wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:45 am

If it weren't for the second amendment, we wouldn't have fat guys with bare hairy arms walking around in wife-beater shirts.
The right to have bare arms?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:42 am
O Really wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:22 am
Which, IIRC a standing militia was not even considered at the time the Bill of Rights was passed which necessitated the 2nd in the first place, right up there with housing militias in your home i.e. the third amendment.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
Country Music Television urges viewers to ‘wear orange’ for gun control campaign, upsetting core audience

Country Music Television – along with other networks – urged many to "wear orange" over the weekend as part of a coordinated stance against gun violence.

"We're (virtually) wearing orange today in support National Gun Violence Awareness Day and to call attention to the more than 100 lives that are lost every day to gun violence," the ViacomCBS-owned entity tweeted Friday ahead of the CMT Music Awards on Wednesday.

The campaign, citing fatal injury reports data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for the years 2015 through 2019, claimed that "Every day more than 100 Americans are killed with guns." "Wear Orange" is part of Everytown for Gun Safety's gun control campaign, which is backed by Michael Bloomberg. The effort was met with intense criticism from many on social media.
:clap:
"This is anti-gun propaganda disguised as virtue," one campaign detractor tweeted, adding, "CMT has gone down the drain with all other corporations who sell out to the Woke extremists."

Another fumed that by CMT hitting send on the "wear orange" tweet, the network "just lost 75% of your viewers."

"I for one, will not ever watch any station who champions any campaign against the 2nd Amendment, which is what CMT just did," wrote the social media user. "You'd think they would know their audiance [sic], but you put woke idiots in charge, and you get stupidity." ...
:crybaby: :crybaby:
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Oh, shit. Another false reason for the GQP to claim cancel culture and be victims. There's just no end to it.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

History professor at University of New Hampshire validates my posts on here about gun legislation and the rationale for it. I've posted in the past that the first three words of the second Amendment are "A well regulated" as well as pointing out the fact that at the time it was written, the only weapons that existed were single shot.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-second-a ... p_deeplink

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Another "good guy with a gun":
9-year-old boy accidentally shot in chest by father after alleged road rage incident

A 9-year-old boy is in critical condition after accidentally being shot in the chest by his father at the end of an alleged road rage incident they were engaged in.

The incident occurred at approximately 11 p.m. on Friday, June 11, in Houston’s Fifth Ward in the eastern part of the city when the father, who was driving the vehicle with the 9-year-old boy inside at the time, reportedly believed he was being followed by another car and pulled out a gun, according to ABC News’ Houston station KTRK.

The two were able to make it home without incident but the gun accidentally discharged while the man tried to holster the weapon and his son was shot in the chest....

It is unclear if the pair were being followed or if there was an actual road rage incident.

Houston police say the father is not expected to face any criminal charges since they believe it was purely an accident, according to KTRK....
The 'Texas Oops' excuse. :roll:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:55 am
Schmear lunacy in Florida.
There will be more and more of that - and worse - as it gets easier to carry firearms around and more people are carrying them just because they can.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:25 am
There will be more and more of that - and worse - as it gets easier to carry firearms around and more people are carrying them just because they can.
Yep.
Gun battle at Dallas strip mall leaves 8 injured, including 2 kids, police say

... Investigators believe two separate groups were each having a celebratory gathering in individual suites at the strip mall, according to police.

Photojournalists with FOX4 Dallas at the scene posted pictures of the aftermath on Twitter. One wrote that the two groups were at adjacent banquet halls celebrating a birthday and graduation, respectively.

Police said people from each party were standing outside in the back of the building when an argument broke out and led to a brief physical confrontation. Shortly after both parties went back inside their respective suites, gunshots were exchanged....
Such are rites of passage in Texas.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:39 am
U.S. judge overturns California’s ban on assault weapons

Seriously? Who slays scores at a time with a Swiss Army knife?

Benitez is a Shrub appointee. Sadly, he's been backed up before:
Judicial Opinions

In 2019, Benitez granted summary judgment in a lawsuit against California's ban on "Large Capacity Magazines" (LCMs). The opinion addressed the lengthy history of firearms and self-defense rights in America, and the roots in English history. Attorney General Xavier Becerra appealed the ruling to the 9th Circuit. In 2020, a three-judge panel affirmed Benitez's grant of summary judgment in a 2-1 decision authored by Judge Kenneth Lee. The attorney general has requested an en banc rehearing of the case....
Court blocks judge's decision to overturn California's assault weapons ban

A federal appeals court on Monday blocked a judge's ruling that overturned California's 30-year assault weapons ban.

Driving the news: U.S. District Judge Roger Benitez ruled earlier this month that the ban was unconstitutional and likened the AR-15 to a Swiss Army knife, but the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals has now granted a stay, pending appeal.

* This stay issued by the three-judge panel is "pending decisions in other gun cases that are now before the court," the Los Angeles Times notes.

Why it matters: California has one of the lowest firearm mortality rates in the U.S., and Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) and Attorney General Rob Bonta cited this fact as proof that the state's law worked.

* Bonta, who filed the appeal against Benitez's ruling, welcomed the judges' decision in a statement issued to Twitter:

:thumbup: , so far.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Usually a good sign
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:36 am
Usually a good sign
Maybe. Could just be what they say - the result of multiple pending cases. Fingers crossed and we'll see.

8-year-old hunting chipmunks shoots uncle in ‘freak accident,’ New Hampshire cops say

It's not "hunting" when you're shooting at chipmunks, it's armed animal cruelty. And, it's not an "accident", it's karma.

Texas, of course:
Woman accidentally shoots 5-year-old son while trying to shoot dog, reports say

Police arrested a 24-year-old woman after she tried to shoot a dog in her Houston neighborhood on Saturday and instead shot and injured her 5-year-old son, according to multiple reports.

Officials charged Angelia Mia Vargas with one count of deadly conduct with a firearm, KHOU reported. Her son was taken to a hospital with injuries that did not appear to be life-threatening, according to the news station.

Neighbors told KTRK that the incident started when a 6-month-old boxer puppy named Bruno ran into the street while Vargas and her family were riding bicycles.

Police told KHOU that Vargas fired three shots at the dog with a small-caliber pistol. One bullet ricocheted, hitting her son in the abdomen.

Bruno’s owner told KTRK that the dog was grazed by a bullet on one of his legs, but that he was otherwise fine....
Because everyone goes armed on family bike rides. Lots of puppies out there. :roll:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Well, at least they charged her with something. Usually these instances would get a successful "opps" defence. Maybe it's just the utterly ridiculous situation of her going armed biking with her kid and then shooting carelessly at a pup. Throw the book at her, and trash her thoroughly on social media.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:33 pm
Well, at least they charged her with something. Usually these instances would get a successful "opps" defence. Maybe it's just the utterly ridiculous situation of her going armed biking with her kid and then shooting carelessly at a pup. Throw the book at her, and trash her thoroughly on social media.
We're going to be reading a whole lot more of this kind of stupid when their "constitutional carry" law goes into effect.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:27 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:36 am
Usually a good sign
Maybe. Could just be what they say - the result of multiple pending cases. Fingers crossed and we'll see.

8-year-old hunting chipmunks shoots uncle in ‘freak accident,’ New Hampshire cops say

It's not "hunting" when you're shooting at chipmunks, it's armed animal cruelty. And, it's not an "accident", it's karma.

Texas, of course:
Woman accidentally shoots 5-year-old son while trying to shoot dog, reports say

Police arrested a 24-year-old woman after she tried to shoot a dog in her Houston neighborhood on Saturday and instead shot and injured her 5-year-old son, according to multiple reports.

Officials charged Angelia Mia Vargas with one count of deadly conduct with a firearm, KHOU reported. Her son was taken to a hospital with injuries that did not appear to be life-threatening, according to the news station.

Neighbors told KTRK that the incident started when a 6-month-old boxer puppy named Bruno ran into the street while Vargas and her family were riding bicycles.

Police told KHOU that Vargas fired three shots at the dog with a small-caliber pistol. One bullet ricocheted, hitting her son in the abdomen.

Bruno’s owner told KTRK that the dog was grazed by a bullet on one of his legs, but that he was otherwise fine....
Because everyone goes armed on family bike rides. Lots of puppies out there. :roll:
Men who "hunt" chipmunks aren't hunting and aren't men.

"The man and his nephew were shooting chipmunks when a bullet fired by the 8-year-old ricocheted after killing one of the rodents"

Although they are technically rodents, they are more technically cute as anything on the planet.and only hunted by scumbags and trumpaloons.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”