Futbol

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Futbol

Unread post by Vrede too »

rjay181 wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:29 pm
I enjoy watching the World Cup, also..how it brings my fam together! It's fun to see the older family members getting so hyped. LOL
The USMNT will be hampered this year.

The USMNT gets its strangest (Qatar) World Cup send-off ever

Maybe other national teams will be similarly affected.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Dennis Rodman's Daughter Trinity Rodman Is The Highest-Paid Player In National Women's Soccer League
They say the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

Trinity Rodman, 20, the daughter of NBA Hall of Famer Dennis Rodman, is the highest-paid player in league history. The 2021 Rookie of the Year received a contract extension with the Washington (DC) Spirit.

Her new extension includes a four-year deal for $1.1 million, currently more than what she was earning under her prior agreement — a three-year contract with a net pay of $42,000 to play in the National Women’s Soccer League.

She has an option to extend her contract with the 2024 NWSL Champion team until 2025. Trinity will earn $281,000 yearly, surpassing the $250,000 salaries of Alex Morgan and Megan Rapinoe, two United States women’s national team superstars....

Rodman won the Rookie of the Year, the Young Player of the Year award from US Soccer, and was the only one from her team to be invited to the US Women’s National Team training camp....

Many speculate Trinity will soon become a star for the USWNT and reach the heights of Morgan and Rapinoe....
:clap:

We'll have to see if she's also nuts, but Trinity Rodman definitely inherited The Worm's talent and work ethic. With her exotic good looks she's also going to earn, or is already earning, crazy endorsement money.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

FIFA is a cancer, maybe worse than the IOC.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I'll happily boycott the World Cup as I have every other year. I promise to watch no games, buy no merch, make no wagers or acknowledge the event in any way.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:12 am
FIFA is a cancer, maybe worse than the IOC.

I may catch a game or two.

Sun, 11/20, 11:00 AM EST
Ecuador > Qatar
Embarrass the host early and often.

Mon, 11/21, 2:00 PM EST
Wales > USA
I think it's adorable that dinky Wales has its own national team.

Tue, 11/22, 5:00 AM EST
Argentina > Saudi Arabia
GO Yemen!

Wed, 11/23,

8:00 AM EST

Germany vs Japan
GO Axis!

2:00 PM EST
Canada > Belgium
C'mon, O Really, not even this game?

I'm not happy about it being in Qatar, though. I'm cautious with my criticism of others' human rights given US rendition, direct and proxy torture, and drone assassinations. However, there are too many stories linked directly to the World Cup to ignore, as your tweet gives us a taste of.
World Cup 2022: Manchester United and Portugal star Bruno Fernandes calls out Qatar's treatment of workers

"It's not exactly the time we want to be playing in the World Cup," Fernandes said, referencing the move from the summer to fall. "I think for everyone, players and fans, it's not the best time. Kids will be at school, people will be working and the timings will not be the best for people to watch the games.

"We know the surroundings of the World Cup, what has been in the past few weeks, past few months, about the people that have died on the construction of the stadiums," he added. "We are not happy about that at all.
... Bayern Munich and Germany midfielder Leon Goretzka called an anti-gay commercial made by a Qatar World Cup ambassador "very oppressive" earlier this month and said, "it leaves you speechless that something like this can be said by a World Cup ambassador shortly before a World Cup." Qatar has one of the strictest anti-LGBTQ laws and some fans are still afraid to attend the World Cup despite the country's assertion that "all are welcome.

Fellow German and current Real Madrid midfielder Toni Kroos said last year that the working conditions in Qatar were "absolutely unacceptable."
"You have to call a spade a spade when it comes to working conditions," Kroos said on his podcast in 2021. "It's about many workers from Qatar, but also migrant workers, having to work non-stop in sometimes 50 degree heat (122 Fahrenheit). At the same time, they also suffer from malnutrition, a lack of drinking water is insane, especially at these temperatures. As a result, safety at work is absolutely not guaranteed, medical care is not there and sometimes some violence is carried out on the workers."
World Cup 2022: Qatar paying fans to attend and promote matches, as well as report negative comments

Qatar reportedly paid for fans across the world to attend the 2022 World Cup this month, according to The New York Times.

Fans will reportedly be treated to what sounds like an all-expenses trip that will include free airfare, free match tickets and free lodging. However, Qatar also reportedly asked those fans to sign contracts that required them to sing chants, post positive accounts on social media and report posts critical of Qatar.

Here are two excerpts obtained by the Times regarding what Qatar expects from those who signed up for the trip to the World Cup:
"We are not asking you to [be] a mouthpiece for Qatar, but it would obviously not be appropriate for you to disparage Qatar, the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy (or other relevant entities related to the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022) or the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022. We know you have your own opinions, and your own style, so based on the facts we present to you, share them in a manner that suits you.

"You agree to report any offensive, degrading or abusive comments to the SC and, if possible, to take a screenshot of those comments and then promptly delete them. All other comments whether challenging or celebratory about the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 may of course remain publicly visible at your discretion."
:roll: Qatar SUCKS! Please report me to the Supreme Committee.
... Qatar controversies continue

There have been repeated controversies surrounding the World Cup in Qatar.

Migrant worker exploitation has been the biggest scandal in the lead-up to the World Cup as well. There have been misleading reports as to how many migrants have died building World Cup stadiums as well as conversations about mistreatment and pseudo-slavery....
Then there's this interesting but decidedly mixed article, plenty of reasons to pan and praise Qatar:

World Cup 2022: The problem with Qatar’s ‘carbon neutral’ promise
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

I stand by my original comment and add Qatar sucks too.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really
Admiral

That's funny! Soccer without beer must be a lot like tooth extraction without anesthetic.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:08 am
That's funny! Soccer without beer must be a lot like tooth extraction without anesthetic.
:D Can't sing dumb team songs for 3 hours straight without some lubrication. That said, it was Budweiser, so no great loss. ;)

:lol:

Think the NFL handles concussions poorly? World Cup soccer is ‘stone age’

:(
Last edited by Vrede too on Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:55 pm

:D Can't sing dumb team songs for 3 hours straight without some lubrication. That said, it was Budweiser, so no great loss. ;)

:(
Or play/listen to a vuvuzela.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:12 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:55 pm

Or play/listen to a vuvuzela.
I thought that FIFA had banned them from the World Cup, but I guess not.
Not sure what the Qataris are doing about them, if anything.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:34 pm
Not that I'm inclined to mindless violence, but if I was seated around somebody with a vuvuzela I'd be tempted to stuff it up their ass. Along with any cowbells that were around.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:47 pm
Not that I'm inclined to mindless violence, but if I was seated around somebody with a vuvuzela I'd be tempted to stuff it up their ass. Along with any cowbells that were around.
:thumbup: Vrede, RN approves, Vuvuzela: Health concerns:
airborne transmission of diseases
noise-induced hearing loss
It doesn't include anal insertion or other molestation of the vuvuzelador. :wave:
I wonder if a rapid-hardening spray foam sealant would work. :think:

I've never had the "pleasure". I attended a Brasilian match about 20 years ago. I remember being amazed at the nonstop singing, but don't remember any vuvuzelas. I don't think I even learned about them until the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

World Cup: FIFA president Infantino slams Europe's 'hypocrisy' in astonishing speech

He discusses migrant workers at length and makes some valid points. He never names the US, but it's also true that we have huge issues with our treatment of migrants.

He says it's safe for LGBTQ+s, but I'd sure be nervous if I was one and would probably stay essentially closeted.
... "Everyone who comes to Qatar is welcome, whatever religion, race, sexual orientation, belief she or he has, everyone is welcome. This was our requirement and the Qatari state sticks to that requirement....

"Over 10 fanzones where over 100,000 can simultaneously drink alcohol. I think personally, if for three hours a day you cannot drink a beer, you will survive, especially because actually the same rules apply in France or Spain or in Portugal, or in Scotland. No beer is allowed in the stadiums....
Interesting.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:51 pm

Ecuador > Qatar
Replays tonight at 7 & 10 pm EST, FS1.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:55 pm
Vrede too wrote:

Ecuador > Qatar
Replays tonight at 7 & 10 pm EST, FS1.
Bueno.

O Really
Admiral

So apparently Ecuador declined the $7.5 mill offer to throw the game, but maybe kept $3mil to make it close?
"Qatar the soccer team, physically overmatched and thoroughly overwhelmed, kicked off its own party with a 2-0 loss to Ecuador"
"physically overmatched and thoroughly overwhelmed"? And a 2-0 score? What did Ecuador do, sit their starters after a couple of minutes?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:23 pm
Spoiler:
Bueno.
Spoiler:

I give it:

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon, 11/21, 2:00 PM EST
Wales > USA
I think it's adorable that dinky Wales has its own national team.
1st WC in more than 50 years!
Spoiler:

The mouse roared! 1-1, no OT or penalty kicks in group play. I give it one:

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Tue, 11/22, 5:00 AM EST
Argentina > Saudi Arabia
GO Yemen!
Whoa, Argentina with Messi 1, Saudi Arabia 2. People have died for less.
1312. ETTD.