Futbol

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Futbol

Unread post by Vrede too »

2015:

A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

NWSL announces plan to start season on June 27, will be first U.S. team sport to return to play

The National Women’s Soccer League announced on Wednesday its plan to start the 2020 season and become the first United States sports league to return to play.

The NWSL season, which never officially began due to the COVID-19 shutdown, will take the form of a 25-game tournament for the Challenge Cup, the NWSL’s yearly championship. All nine NWSL teams will play four games to determine seeding, then the top eight teams will advance to the quarterfinal knockout round.

The tournament will begin on June 27 and last for 30 days. The preliminary games and quarterfinals will be played at Zions Bank Stadium in Herriman, Utah, and the semifinals and final will be played at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah. No fans will be allowed at any games.

U.S. Soccer, which recently won a dismissal of the USWNT’s equal pay lawsuit, released a statement supporting the NWSL’s plan....
I'm neither happy nor angry. I hope it works out.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Don't be so quick. Gaetz is gonna pass a law.

https://lawandcrime.com/george-floyd-de ... al-anthem/

He's a funny guy for a drunk.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:14 pm
Don't be so quick. Gaetz is gonna pass a law.

https://lawandcrime.com/george-floyd-de ... al-anthem/

He's a funny guy for a drunk.
... To that end, Gaetz promised, he would release a plan that would force U.S. Soccer players to stand for the national anthem.

“I certainly think that we have the right to compel that our national team stand for the national anthem,” he continued. “While our anthem is playing, while you serve on the team, I think there is an obligation to respect our country.”

Gaetz attempted to differentiate his position from the National Football League (NFL) players who are allowed to kneel.

“At least those are private people, working for a private company,” he said–while clarifying that he doesn’t like it when they kneel either. “[They] absolutely have the First Amendment right, to do whatever the heck they want to do, so long as it doesn’t hurt anyone else.”

The U.S. Soccer Federation (USSF) is also a private organization.

The USSF is not generally funded by the U.S. government but rather, via sponsorships, ticket sales and other private contributions. Part of the 2026 World Cup will be held in the United States–which likely means that Congress will spend some money on the event. But this does not mean USSF players are federal employees.

Gaetz appears to be confused by the words “United States” and the national colors appearing on U.S. Soccer players’ uniforms.

Structured as a non-profit under federal law, the USSF has the ability to devise contractual restrictions on employee speech during their workdays. But the government is prohibited from forcing private employers to compel employees’ speech by the First Amendment.

In 1943, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette that the state cannot compel schoolchildren to stand for the pledge of allegiance.
What an idiot!
... Notably, since the Democratic Party currently controls the U.S. House of Representatives, the unconstitutional suggestion isn’t serious in the first place because the bill is almost certainly going nowhere.

“Which one of you jerks invented Gaetz just to troll lawyers?” quipped attorney Scott Greenfield.
:lol:

Florida's 1st congressional district

Sheesh, Billy, Repug district for 26 years, all listed statewide offices Repug since 1994, and only US Senate Dem in 1992. No wonder you virtually hangout in WNC.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Wow - memories of my first forum. What a nasty place. It was mostly retired navy. Not the neo type. One guy said that he would shoot Obama if elected, another tried to raise funds to go to New York to take out Iran's Imadinnerjacket guy.

The navy chief would start threads with incendiary titles until all or nearly all threads on the front page were his. A bunch of us moved to the Gannett paper in Naples and he followed and ruined their forum, so one of the Naples regulars started a forum, fun but too small. A regular there, Ball, told me to try the Gannett forums in Asheville and Greenville. Asheville didn't have much activity, but the Greenville forum had a bunch of people. Some I still see and there are others that I think I see. Whack and supersales were there.

Partisan(#) was there with his sock, the illerate jknowgood. He now goes by jknowgood but he dropped the illeraticy act, now he's all right wing dumbass over at usmessageboard.

Memories
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:52 am
Wow - memories of my first forum. What a nasty place....
I'm not sure what your point is but I was expressing sympathy, not being mean.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:17 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:52 am
Wow - memories of my first forum. What a nasty place....
I'm not sure what your point is but I was expressing sympathy, not being mean.

No point.
You said, "No wonder you virtually hangout in WNC."

That brought back memories of "why" I came so far north.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:11 am
No point.
You said, "No wonder you virtually hangout in WNC."

That brought back memories of "why" I came so far north.
Ah, cool. Your description of your local fora fits with the voting pattern of your district.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Trinity Rodman, daughter of the NBA legend, drafted 2nd overall in pro soccer league

... Rodman's selection Wednesday made league history, being the youngest woman ever selected in the NWSL draft....

The Spirit, based in Washington, DC, finished third in an abbreviated fall 2020 season. The 2021 NWSL season is slated to begin in April.

Defender Emily Fox, who has played for the US women's national team, was selected by expansion team Racing Louisville FC as the first overall pick in the draft. She played collegiate soccer at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
She specializes in turning rebounds off the posts or keeper into goals.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The US Men's Soccer Team failed to qualify for the Olympics for the 3rd time in a row.

Weekend Update, paraphrased: You can keep your heads up, guys, you'll still get paid more than the women.
:---P
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Italians sure are loving their victory!

https://hg.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/ ... ef_source=link
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:57 pm

Do you think they would let her on a plane? :D
If England would have won, it would be beer ass slides all week long.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout ... he_finals/
Why what why please God why would do that why
The shit particles enhance the taste of the warm beer.
I'm going to dedicate my life to pruning that video on the internet out of existence
I hate you
:o :puke-left: Rule Britannia!
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:01 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:57 pm

Do you think they would let her on a plane? :D
If England would have won, it would be beer ass slides all week long.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout ... he_finals/
Why what why please God why would do that why
The shit particles enhance the taste of the warm beer.
I'm going to dedicate my life to pruning that video on the internet out of existence
I hate you
:o :puke-left: Rule Britannia!
Deleted 🤨
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:30 pm
Deleted 🤨
:lol: Consider yourself lucky. I won't bother searching for it elsewhere.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Brandi Chastain was on "American Ninja Warrior" last night as a supporter/friend of one of the contestants. Still looks fit and good at 51 or so. Neither she nor the contestant ripped off their shirt, though.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:43 am
Brandi Chastain was on "American Ninja Warrior" last night as a supporter/friend of one of the contestants. Still looks fit and good at 51 or so. Neither she nor the contestant ripped off their shirt, though.
Good luck naming a male player from 30 years ago, or 3 years ago.

End to end with 15 football phrases from around the world
The 32 teams competing for the World Cup in Russia have each brought with them a distinctive football lexicon that reflects their country’s relationship with the sport.

Colorful. It's a great phrase, but as a goalie I hated "Where the owl sleeps (Brazil)".
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:34 pm

Pele, Beckham, Vrede. That's about it for me. Might recognize some names off a list, though.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:22 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:34 pm

Pele, Beckham, Vrede. That's about it for me. Might recognize some names off a list, though.
:D Not Pele and it's nearing the 30 year mark for Vrede. :(

Turn out the lights, Carli has left the building.
USWNT legend Carli Lloyd calls it a career with emotional exit from final match

... The crowd gave Lloyd a standing ovation as soon as her No. 10 was shown for a substitution at St. Paul's Allianz Field. Lloyd proceeded to remove her cleats, give a hug to every teammate in sight and remove her jersey to show another jersey with the name of her husband, Brian Hollins.

There were few dry eyes on the American sideline:

... A South Jersey native and Rutgers alum, Lloyd made her first USWNT appearance in 2005. Over the next 16 years, Lloyd notched the second-most caps in USWNT history (315), the third-most goals (134) and the fifth-most assists (64). Only Mia Hamm has more goals and assists in the team's history.
New to me: "In soccer, a cap is the term used to describe how many international games a player has participated in."
Beyond statistical production, Lloyd was known for delivering in the biggest of moments. She doesn't just have the only hat trick in the history of the FIFA Women's World Cup final, she posted it over the course of 16 minutes.

Lloyd enters retirement with two Women's World Cup titles, two Olympic gold medals, an Olympic bronze medal, two CONCACAF Women's Championships, a FIFA Women's World Cup Golden Ball, a FIFA World Player of the Year award and two FIFA World XI selections to her name.

She was also a decorated club player, playing for the Western New York Flash, the Houston Dash and NJ/NY Gotham in the NWSL and winning the FA Women's Cup on a loan to Manchester City.
:-|| :-|| :-||
1312. ETTD.