The Music Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: The Music Thread

Unread post by O Really »

Well, I see why Beyonce is now a "country" star.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:58 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=238Z4YaAr1g
I've asked banni about the embed fails, but I suspect it's all YT and nothing he can fix.
https://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtop ... 29#p196029

"Lexus"?
Lyrics

Sure 42 year old Queen Bey is still hot af, but the glasses are Borg-weird and the vid is repetitious, boring and lazy :thumbdown:
Texas Hold 'Em (song)

Commercial performance

United States

In the United States, "Texas Hold 'Em", debuted at number 54 on Billboard Country Airplay Chart (despite not servicing the track to country radio), with 1.1 million in audience via 100 stations, becoming Beyoncé's first entry on the chart. Beyoncé became the eighth Black woman to land on the Country Airplay chart in history, and the first since Mickey Guyton in 2016. The song also debuted at number 38 on Pop Airplay Chart, with its plays on 98 chart reporters translating to 1.3 million audience impressions at the format.

The song debuted at number two on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming Beyoncé's 22nd top-10 hit, and the highest debut of her career on the chart with 19.2 million streams, 4.8 million in airplay audience and 39,000 download between its February 11 to 15. It debuted at number one on Billboard's Hot Country Songs chart, making her the first black woman to reach number one on the chart. This also made Beyoncé become the first artist to achieve number-one songs on seven of Billboard’s song charts: the Hot 100, Hot Country Songs, Hot Dance/Electronic Songs, Hot Gospel Songs, Hot Latin Songs, Hot R&B Songs and Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs. It also debuted at number one on the Digital Songs Sales chart with nearly 40k copies sold, becoming her 12th number one.

International

"Texas Hold ‘Em" debuted at number four on the Billboard Global 200, with 31.9 million streams and 48,000 download sold worldwide, becoming her second top-ten hit since the survey began, after "Break My Soul" reached number six in 2022.

In the United Kingdom, the song debuted at number 9 on the UK Singles Chart with only three days of sales, becoming the week's highest new entry and Beyoncé's 22nd top 10 song in the country as a solo artist.

:-|| :-||

Oh, also, Country sucks. I may have to sit through it in an auto repair waiting room, but otherwise I'm one and done.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:

I made it through about 30 seconds. I like Beyoncé, but country pop can stay with the tobie keiths and Bo Bo dukes.
It had all the prerequisite requirements for a #1, but not much else.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:12 pm
O Really wrote:

I made it through about 30 seconds. I like Beyoncé, but country pop can stay with the tobie keiths and Bo Bo dukes.
Errr.....the song is try hard try hard cringe and I'm almost embarrassed for her with that video.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:21 am
https://youtu.be/lYTH6ilF5AA
Best movie soundtrack ever, IMO.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

The Thomas Crowne Affair (90's version).
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:42 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
I might agree, or at least top 5, but this from the person who recently claimed to hate country music and only listened when tied up in the corner of the auto repair place?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:10 am
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:42 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
I might agree, or at least top 5, but this from the person who recently claimed to hate country music and only listened when tied up in the corner of the auto repair place?
:lol: The auto repair waiting room was only for Beyoncé's "Texas Hold ‘Em". There are a few other country songs I'll listen to more than once - Miranda Lambert comes to mind. I mostly agree with billy.pilgrim's "country pop" distinction, though.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:12 pm
I've always liked oldtimey bluegrass and used to travel hundreds of miles for festivals like:
https://www.oldfiddlersconvention.com/

Many others agreed with me:
... The platinum album won the 2002 Grammy Award for Album of the Year....

I'd have to watch the whole movie (which I may do) to pick a favorite, but this was the most memorable:

Siren Song - Didn't Leave Nobody but the Baby | O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000) | TUNE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI99ScMCWMg
Singers: Alison Krauss, Emmylou Harris, Gillian Welch
Sirens: Mia Tate, Musetta Vander, Christy Taylor

What others are in your "top 5"?

I'd have to ponder for awhile, but I first thought of an obscure (literally :wave: ) 1972 movie:

Pink Floyd – Obscured By Clouds (soundtrack to Barbet Schroeder’s film La Vallée)

That then reminded me of the blockbuster classic The Wall.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

My choices are obviously dated, but without a whole lot of thought "Flash Dance" "Dirty Dancing" and "Saturday Night Fever" all come to mind.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:01 pm
My choices are obviously dated, but without a whole lot of thought "Flash Dance" "Dirty Dancing" and "Saturday Night Fever" all come to mind.
:D Henceforth DiscO Really.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:22 pm
O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:01 pm
:D Henceforth DiscO Really.
:lol: :lol:

O Really
Admiral

Willie Nelson/Bob Dylan/John Mellencamp Outlaw tour on the way, including Charlotte, Raleigh, and Atlanta-ish. Tickets go on sale MARCH 1. Also playing will be Robert Plant/Allison Krauss. I personally would not miss it when it comes west, except that Plant/Krauss bail just before then.

https://blackbirdpresents.com/concert/o ... tour-2024/

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

The Last Waltz

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:41 pm
Willie Nelson/Bob Dylan/John Mellencamp Outlaw tour on the way, including Charlotte, Raleigh, and Atlanta-ish. Tickets go on sale MARCH 1. Also playing will be Robert Plant/Allison Krauss. I personally would not miss it when it comes west, except that Plant/Krauss bail just before then.

https://blackbirdpresents.com/concert/o ... tour-2024/
Excellent, 2 are older than Biden, 4 are older than me, and all 5 are older than Nikki Haley, nttawwt :P :P :P :P :P
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:43 am
The Last Waltz
:clap: I thought of that, too. There are other concert films that are well up there. Stop Making Sense comes to mind.

Rotten Tomatoes is the first list I googled, not necessarily the best. I have not seen a bunch of the selections, like #3 TAYLOR SWIFT | THE ERAS TOUR (2023). I've watched and approve of all the entries I list:

#1 Stop Making Sense (1984)
#5 The Last Waltz (1978)
#7 Marley (2012)
I would love to see this one:
#8 Festival Express (2003)

Critics Consensus: Festival Express is a spellbinding documentary that nostalgically chronicles five days in the summer of 1970, when a train full of now- legendary rock perfomers jammed its way across Canada.
Synopsis: This compilation of footage from the Grateful Dead's Canadian train tour depicts the height of the band's music and fame for five days in 1970, along with that of performances from Janis Joplin, Buddy Guy, The Band and The Flying Burrito Brothers. However, there's also a dark side shown alongside the seminal concerts, as when the train stops, the musicians are often confronted with worried promoters, inquisitive reporters and protesting students who can't afford ticket prices.
I'm sure Woodstock is about to appear.

I forgot about this one:
#12 Buena Vista Social Club (1999)

Synopsis: This documentary by lauded German filmmaker Wim Wenders follows renowned guitarist Ry Cooder and his son, Joachim, as they travel to Cuba and assemble a group of the country's finest musicians to record an album. Among the artists included in the project are singer Ibrahim Ferrer and pianist Rubén González, who are both interviewed and featured in studio footage. Eventually the ensemble travels to the United States to perform in front of rapt audiences.
Fantastic, made more so since all of the artists other than Cooder were new to me.

#22 Woodstock (1970)
#29 Monterey Pop (1969) :clap:
#30 Gimme Shelter (1970)
#47 Let It Be (1970)
What a great couple of years!

#48 The Song Remains the Same (Led Zeppelin, 1976)
#54 U2 Rattle and Hum (1988)

:-|| Looks like I've got a new streaming video playlist to catch up on.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Thank you YouTube algorithm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKJbyK4NTek

GoCubsGo
Admiral

TIL that Karen Carpenter was first known and well respected as an outstanding drummer and singer before getting fame as a lead vocalist.

O Really
Admiral

In the grocery, "Willie and the poor boys" plays on the speakers.
Lady O: How many times did you hear CCR before you knew they were white guys?
Me: Wait, CCR were white guys?!

(Not really, but I didn't know that for a long time after that song came out)

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:05 pm
In the grocery, "Willie and the poor boys" plays on the speakers.
Lady O: How many times did you hear CCR before you knew they were white guys?
Me: Wait, CCR were white guys?!

(Not really, but I didn't know that for a long time after that song came out)
And how long before you knew that they were a bunch of California surfer dudes?