The Music Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Music Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

Especially for neopablum ;) , hominy Stompers from Murfreesboro, Tennessee:

Jake Leg Stompers - St. James Infirmary

I saw them 15 or 20 years ago, lots of fun. The lineup has since changed, at least with a new female lead singer.

Website
JAKE LEG - A SHORT HISTORY: Paralysis brought on by drinking jake, Jamaican ginger extract, a patent medicine. It is believed that the malady was first discovered in Oklahoma City by Dr. Ephraim Goldfain in February 1930. "The first person to record a connection between jake and the paralysis may have been Ishmon Bracey, the black blues singer who cut 'Jake Liquor Blues' in Grafton, Wisconsin, in March of 1930." Jake leg "afflicted enough souls to instigate an entire subject of folk music. Blacks and whites were affected. It rendered men impotent. And it was no longer inspiring musicians by 1934, which meant it was a cataclysmic but discrete event." What had turned the harmless patent medicine into a crippler was the addition of tri-ortho-cresyl-phosphate, TOCP, a "plasticizer" used to keep synthetic materials from becoming brittle. This was during Prohibition and the Treasury Department tackled "the problem of people getting too much pleasure from patent-medicine tippling by ordering that the solids in fluid extracts be doubled." TOCP was believed to be harmless and was used to "boost the solids."

--"Annals of Epidemiology: Jake Leg: How the blues diagnosed a medical mystery," by Dan Baum. The New Yorker, Sept. 15, 2003, Page 50.
That source is a surprise. Dan Baum is an old friend that I've lost touch with. He also wrote this excellent book:
Smoke and Mirrors: The War on Drugs and the Politics of Failure
Despite being pretty well versed on the subject, I was shocked and appalled every few pages.

More on the topic from Wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaica_g ... neuropathy
... In 1930, large numbers of Jake users began to find they were unable to use their hands and feet. Some victims could walk, but they had no control over the muscles which would normally have enabled them to point their toes upward. Therefore, they would raise their feet high with the toes flopping downward, which would touch the pavement first followed by their heels. The toe first, heel second pattern made a distinctive "tap-click, tap-click" sound as they walked. This very peculiar gait became known as the jake walk and the jake dance and those afflicted were said to have jake leg, jake foot, or jake paralysis. Additionally, the calves of the legs would soften and hang down and the muscles between the thumbs and fingers would atrophy....
Idk about jake leg, but stomping was irresistible while the band was playing. 8-)
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Cool. A must stomp situation for sure. My only worry is that the wingnuts might seize on TOCP as another "cure" for the covid virus, which will result in more than a few cases of "Covid leg" but I suppose it can't be helped.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:10 am
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Christmas shopping for the O Reallys is done. Two tickets to Elton John at Petco Park in November. It will be our first concert in over three years by the time it gets here.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:10 pm
Christmas shopping for the O Reallys is done. Two tickets to Elton John at Petco Park in November. It will be our first concert in over three years by the time it gets here.
What a schedule. I hope he makes it to November. My wife went with the girls to the New Orleans show. Great concert.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:45 am
O Really wrote:
What a schedule. I hope he makes it to November. My wife went with the girls to the New Orleans show. Great concert.
Yeah, it's way more shows than most tours, tightly packed schedules. Actually, the San Diego concert was only added to the tour last week. I've never seen him in person, but recent videos don't seem to show much deterioration of his voice with age.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Roxy Music is doing a 50th anniversary tour. If you've never heard their "Avalon" album, you should check it out. They're in CA in Sept.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... r-1327394/

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

I had enough of roxy music when I started an avalanche, accidentally of course. It was fine until I heard my friends screaming at me from below.

Nobody was hurt.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:12 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:45 am
O Really wrote:
Yeah, it's way more shows than most tours, tightly packed schedules. Actually, the San Diego concert was only added to the tour last week. I've never seen him in person, but recent videos don't seem to show much deterioration of his voice with age.
She said it was fantastic. Have fun.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Ah, Friday night at the beach. So we don't get a lot of Spring Break action here, but it is a SoCal surf town so there is some. And with the crowd in for the ironman, there has been various street festival stuff, live music around, hot rods cruising since this is also the Good Guys show in Del Mar, food stands and trucks. Reminded me of "Hotel California"
"...warm smell of burritos rising up in the air..."

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Speaking of burritos... I was quite disappointed today when I went to the local Costco business center and couldn't find any El Monterey Chicken and Cheese Chimichangas. Usually I'd buy them in a 18 unit package, but they had none and when I asked at the front desk, the lady said there are none on order. So they may have been discontinued there. Perhaps Safeway or Lucky's/Albertsons will have them? Probably for a higher price if they do. I compromised and got some Steak and Cheese Burritos instead.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:00 pm
Speaking of burritos... I was quite disappointed today when I went to the local Costco business center and couldn't find any El Monterey Chicken and Cheese Chimichangas. Usually I'd buy them in a 18 unit package, but they had none and when I asked at the front desk, the lady said there are none on order. So they may have been discontinued there. Perhaps Safeway or Lucky's/Albertsons will have them? Probably for a higher price if they do. I compromised and got some Steak and Cheese Burritos instead.
Is your google still broken? Also, what makes you think we care about Useless chimichangas?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:36 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:00 pm
Is your google still broken? Also, what makes you think we care about Useless chimichangas?
Jack's.
Yuk, who eats frozen factory made food from Costco? Oh yeah, the idiot who claims that he doesn't eat sausage because it's gross.

O Really
Admiral

Burrito

La Taqueria
San Francisco
What you're getting: Carnitas super burrito
Oh, this place? It’s just: THE GREATEST BURRITO SPOT IN THE WORLD, according to Nate Silver’s science and expert panel of tasters.

Not Burrito

1 burrito (225 g/9 oz), 640 calories, 30 g fat, 11 g saturated fat, 1 g trans fat, 690 mg sodium, 73 g carbs, 6 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 18 g protein
If you want a lot of calories and fat, this burrito is your pick (hey, everyone is looking for something different in a burrito!). El Monterey burritos are definitely more about the flavor than nutrition. This XXL 9-ounce burrito has 640 calories, which is on the higher end of all frozen burrito options. Not to mention, it has an astounding 30 grams of fat with 11 grams of saturated fat. To put it in perspective—that's nearly half of the daily value of fat for a 2000-calorie diet. The artificial caramel color in the ingredient list is also something worth noting

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

I can say with pride I've never bought frozen burritos or chimichangas.

I've chosen wisely.

Been going to this place for years. Not in the best neighborhood and it's convenient to nothing for me and worth the trip.

La Pasadita Makes Sweet 16 In Nate Silver's Best Burrito In America Project
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

My local favourite - carne asada, from a place strangely named "Angelo's"

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

A chimichanga is not a burrito.

Write it down.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

OPne El Monterey Chimichanga, Chicken & Monterey Jack Cheese:

Total Calories: 290
Total Fat: 10 g
Trans Fat: 0
Protein 13 g

Total weight: 142 g

Ingredients include: Wheat (for tortilla), Cooked Chicken, Monterey Jack Cheese, Mozarella Cheese, Tomatoes, Vegetable Oil, Green Chili ...
Last edited by Ulysses on Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:45 am
My local favourite - carne asada, from a place strangely named "Angelo's"
My local "dive" spot. Good stuff.

http://orderlaplanchaloca.com/index.php
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.