Just for Fun

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Just for Fun

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:14 am
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.
Maybe that's a good thing. In 2016 the Chicago Cubs and Dolt .45 won. :think:
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:12 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.
Totally ruined my Cub buzz.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoSlugsGo!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:14 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:12 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Totally ruined my Cub buzz.
Sorry, I thought that happened 5 days after Game 7 ended. :(
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

"I'm a Stuck-a-saurus"...

:lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Random tweets, I'm too lazy to sort them into appropriate threads:
Gas is expensive. Freedom is priceless.
A new employee who has been with us for 7 days called me stupid today for wearing my mask and he also got to find out that I'm his boss during a meeting. It was really fun!
so he's an ex-employee?? :)
As employers start to call people back into the office, I’m just gonna show up to places I don’t work like, ‘it’s me, Bill. Been a rough few years.’
Why boycott Kid Rock's music for political reasons when you can boycott it for musical ones?
Trevor Noah: “If you ask me, it's actually no coincidence that they couldn't pass this law for 100 years. Then Mike Pence almost gets lynched & suddenly lynching is a hate crime. Yeah, it's a bit if a coincidence don’t ya think?”
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Just for Fun, or Not

1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:02 pm
https://creator.nightcafe.studio/
Have you signed up?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

People Are Sharing How They Got Petty Revenge On Their Homeowners' Association, And I'm Absolutely Cackling

:thumbup: One example:
14."A friend of mine lived in a pretty big neighborhood with a pretty strict HOA. He was the first house at the bottom of the hill that you saw when you drive in. He was allowed to add a garage on to his house and did so, siding it with cedar planks. It looked great. His HOA disagreed and told him the by laws state all exposed walls must be painted. He tried to appeal but was shot down unanimously."

"So he checked the by laws further and found that while it was stated that all exposed walls must be painted, there was absolutely no mention of any color restrictions.

By the time he was done each plank was a different primary color and there was nothing they could do about it. They were furious with him and he laughed his ass off."
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

I bought this dump house about 25 years ago and there was no HOA then. Still isn't, although one neighbor about 10 years ago suggested to me that it might be a good idea. Glad that didn't happen. There is a property at the back of my lot that is a big condo development, and it probably has some sort of HOA. Everything is painted the same. Boring. It used to be the site of a calculator factory. Go figure.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 5:39 pm
People Are Sharing How They Got Petty Revenge On Their Homeowners' Association, And I'm Absolutely Cackling

:thumbup: One example:
14."A friend of mine lived in a pretty big neighborhood with a pretty strict HOA. He was the first house at the bottom of the hill that you saw when you drive in. He was allowed to add a garage on to his house and did so, siding it with cedar planks. It looked great. His HOA disagreed and told him the by laws state all exposed walls must be painted. He tried to appeal but was shot down unanimously."

"So he checked the by laws further and found that while it was stated that all exposed walls must be painted, there was absolutely no mention of any color restrictions.

By the time he was done each plank was a different primary color and there was nothing they could do about it. They were furious with him and he laughed his ass off."
I'm not sure why people complain about HOAs. Their membership was completely voluntary. No one forced them to join.
In the example, I love it for the snark, but I would have to side with the people who bought in the S/D to get away from brightly colored houses.

Everything hinges on the word "voluntary", as long as no laws are broken, as say. There were many, may even still be a few, HOAs and restrictions by deed against black people or jews living in certain all white S/Ds.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 9:06 am

I'm not sure why people complain about HOAs. Their membership was completely voluntary. No one forced them to join.
In the example, I love it for the snark, but I would have to side with the people who bought in the S/D to get away from brightly colored houses.

Everything hinges on the word "voluntary", as long as no laws are broken, as say. There were many, may even still be a few, HOAs and restrictions by deed against black people or jews living in certain all white S/Ds.
I don't think I've every known of an HOA to be voluntary. I could be wrong, but I think it's usually mandatory within the HOA's defined neighborhood. In any case, the HOA has sufficient authority to make life miserable for whoever they decide to put into their barrel, whether deserved or not. And the people who become officers are often people with power issues.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 9:55 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

I don't think I've every known of an HOA to be voluntary. I could be wrong, but I think it's usually mandatory within the HOA's defined neighborhood. In any case, the HOA has sufficient authority to make life miserable for whoever they decide to put into their barrel, whether deserved or not. And the people who become officers are often people with power issues.
Agreed. Around here, seems like membership in an existing HOA is mandatory, not optional. Condition of purchase, AFAIK.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:

It is indeed mostly voluntary to be in an HOA zone, but that doesn't mean that one volunteered for all abusive implementations of HOA authority.

In the cited example there was no proscription against "brightly colored houses." In fact, a brightly multi-colored garage was the resident's 'within-the-rules' response to the HOA's silly application of the rules to make him cover up his fine looking cedar. That HOA can suck rainbows for their efforts.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I generally - generally - like HOA's when managed reasonably, but I've had a couple of instances when that "reasonable" standard wasn't quite met by officers or "enforcers." First was a patio house neighborhood I lived in where, among other things, we were required to keep our garage doors closed. Not a bad rule, but one day I was out cutting my postage-stamp size front lawn, about a 10-15 minute job, and (gasp) left the garage door open to put my mower back in. Batty lady stops in front, makes a demonstration of showing me the rules list and said I had to close the door. I did tell her if she hadn't interrupted me, I would have been done by now and my mower would have been returned, with the door closed. She insisted I had to go over there and close it "now" or she would be "forced" to send an incident note to the HOA. I told her to "go for it" and turned, finished my lawn and left her sputtering in the street. Never heard anything further.

In another neighborhood of "cottage" type houses, there was a rule against any kind of yard shed. Again, not bad, but one guy designed himself a storage unit that looked like his house, would be painted to match, and would be located in a space not easily visible from the street. The board was having none of it. Nope, a shed is a shed - even a $8,000 "shed." "If we let in one, we'll have to let in all and the neighborhood will look like a trailer park." No, you don't. The rule would still stand and include a provision for "special approval" so nobody who just wanted to put up a metal shed from Home Depot would get approved. They would just be told "build one like that guy and you can do it."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I live in an HOA - bought a condo here to be near and help out Mom. A younger me would have really chafed, but I'm kinda boring now. A couple of minor tiffs, but nothing to inspire my retaliation like in the hilarious article.
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

My last HOA wasn't bad at all. I got reported one time, and in all fairness it was completely reasonable. Part of a side yard between some shrubs and the neighbors fence had grown some "weeds" (which turned out to be blackberries yay).

Nowadays I am very much against most of them. Mainly because of stupid ass rules such as having a well maintained front lawn. I have a deep hatred/disgust of well manicured, chemical laden lawns.

Gimme dandelions, clover, chickweed, deadnettle, or better yet, wildflowers, over lawns.

I have a front lawn as a placeholder, but I want to eventually turn it into something better.

In all fairness again, my last HOA didn't give anyone grief for having a "weed" lawn (no not that kind but a man can dream)
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Whack9 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 2:25 pm
My last HOA wasn't bad at all. I got reported one time, and in all fairness it was completely reasonable. Part of a side yard between some shrubs and the neighbors fence had grown some "weeds" (which turned out to be blackberries yay).

Nowadays I am very much against most of them. Mainly because of stupid ass rules such as having a well maintained front lawn. I have a deep hatred/disgust of well manicured, chemical laden lawns.

Gimme dandelions, clover, chickweed, deadnettle, or better yet, wildflowers, over lawns.

I have a front lawn as a placeholder, but I want to eventually turn it into something better.

In all fairness again, my last HOA didn't give anyone grief for having a "weed" lawn (no not that kind but a man can dream)
Oops.

That reminds me... time to mow the front lawn!