The LEO thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:53 am
In 2020, 295 police officers died from causes considered "line of duty." That was substantially up from the previous year, when 139 died. Maybe it's time for more hand-wringing.
Spoiler:
Or not. 182 of those were covid. Deaths by all other causes were 113, lower than any of the previous 10 years. Cops shot were 45, also the lowest of the decade.
Yes, cop work does increase exposure to COVID-19, but are they all "line of duty" deaths when cops have so strenuously resisted mask wearing and vaccine mandates? Seems comparable to the reckless driver cops that billy.pilgrim and neoplacebo discuss.

Edit: billy.pilgrim partly beat me to it.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:04 am
But they were exercising their freedums not to wear a mask and that somehow is part of their jobs.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Here's the entire 10-year list

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:15 am
Here's the entire 10-year list

What's a job related illness?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:52 pm
With so many and COVID being a separate line I would guess it includes stress > heart attacks and depression > suicide. It's not like cops are dropping like flies because homeless people sneeze on them. Oh, and don't forget donuts > diabetes.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:50 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:52 pm
With so many and COVID being a separate line I would guess it includes stress > heart attacks and depression > suicide. It's not like cops are dropping like flies because homeless people sneeze on them. Oh, and don't forget donuts > diabetes.
And all they have to do is whine and even liberals (see useless, Obama, clinton, etc.) fall all over themselves defending them and shoveling even more and more money for armor and weapons.

Look at this. It may be old news, but it's the 1st I've heard of it.

https://mashable.com/article/police-pla ... google.com

"After a back and forth, the deputy said, "You can record all you want, I just know it can't be posted to YouTube."'

"'That's correct. That is correct...I'm playing my music so that you can't post it on YouTube," Shelby responded."

"Taylor's family told the San Francisco Chronicle that he was "suffering a mental health crisis and did not represent a threat to officers or the general public." Rather than de-escalate the situation and connect Taylor with mental health professionals, Fletcher pulled out his gun."

"Burch noted the speed with which the deputy began playing music to disrupt filming. Shelby reached into his pants pocket, and with three taps, began blasting "Blank Space" at full volume. He then tucked his phone into his chest, between the buttons on his shirt, with the speaker pointing toward the person filming."

There needs to be a law about cops playing music while working.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:36 pm
And all they have to do is whine and even liberals (see useless, Obama, clinton, etc.) fall all over themselves defending them and shoveling even more and more money for armor and weapons.

https://mashable.com/article/police-pla ... -recording ...
A few things worth noting:

The video is still up on YT. The cop is an idiot. In fact, I'm sure that hundreds of thousands of the 747,963 views in this rather tame encounter are because the idiot cop thought his idiocy would keep him off of YT.

Not only are there the YT views, but there are also all of the people that read or heard about the idiot cop in your Mashable article, this USA TODAY/Yahoo article, Bay Area media and I'm sure many other sources.

Useless pays the salary of this idiot Alameda County sheriff's deputy. Hah.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:29 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:36 pm

https://mashable.com/article/police-pla ... -recording ...
A few things worth noting:

The video is still up on YT. The cop is an idiot. In fact, I'm sure that hundreds of thousands of the 747,963 views in this rather tame encounter are because the idiot cop thought his idiocy would keep him off of YT.

Not only are there the YT views, but there are also all of the people that read or heard about the idiot cop in your Mashable article, this USA TODAY/Yahoo article, Bay Area media and I'm sure many other sources.

Useless pays the salary of this idiot Alameda County sheriff's deputy. Hah.
Thanks

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Meanwhile in my county, my Sheriff is encouraging homeowners to shot to kill burglars.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 545096002/

"PACE, Fla. — A Florida sheriff invited a homeowner who shot at a would-be robber to attend a gun safety course to “learn to shoot a lot better" and “save the taxpayers money."'

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:10 pm
Meanwhile in my county, my Sheriff is encouraging homeowners to shot to kill burglars.

"PACE, Fla. — A Florida sheriff invited a homeowner who shot at a would-be robber to attend a gun safety course to “learn to shoot a lot better" and “save the taxpayers money."'
Sadly, "Florida" :roll:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:21 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:10 pm

Sadly, "Florida" :roll:

It could be any repug Sheriff in any off our redneck states.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

I found a WWI era rifle in the garage of this place I bought 25 years ago. Took it to a local gun shop. Finding ammo was a bit of a challenge. Then took it to a range to see if it worked. It did.

After that got slightly more interested. Bought a Taurus 38 Special revolver, and took a firearm training class. Might even have been required to get a permit. Then a friend sold me his 9 mm semi-auto pistol. That thing is a POS. Hang fires.

I keep the handguns locked in a safe in the house. The rifle in a case in the house. Rifle ammo stored elsewhere. Forget where at this point. I suppose the revolver could be useful in case of armed home invasion. The semi handgun could be used as a missile. Haven't fired any of them for over 15 years. No need.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:39 pm
(post: :yawn: )
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
I suppose the revolver could be useful in case of armed home invasion.
Not locked up unloaded in a safe it won't.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:07 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Perhaps.

But I have a little gizmo than can load all the chambers in a few seconds. Might take me less than a minute to get to the gun, loaded, as needed. Although I have to admit I've never timed it. Should I? I figure I'd get a least that amount of warning. Otherwise, I'd rather just play along with whoever is crafty enough to get inside the house so quickly. A bigger danger could be a child, guest, or other visitor accidentally discovering a loaded gun and hurting him/her self or others with it. I view the gun(s) as last deterrents. And for years I have lived without any home invasion/threats, and no weapons other than kitchen knives. If I lived in a place that was so dangerous I felt a need to keep a loaded gun handy, I'd move ASAP.

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:23 pm
O Really wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
Perhaps.

But I have a little gizmo than can load all the chambers in a few seconds. Might take me less than a minute to get to the gun, loaded, as needed. Although I have to admit I've never timed it. Should I? I figure I'd get a least that amount of warning. Otherwise, I'd rather just play along with whoever is crafty enough to get inside the house so quickly. A bigger danger could be a child, guest, or other visitor accidentally discovering a loaded gun and hurting him/her self or others with it. I view the gun(s) as last deterrents. And for years I have lived without any home invasion/threats, and no weapons other than kitchen knives. If I lived in a place that was so dangerous I felt a need to keep a loaded gun handy, I'd move ASAP.
Sure and evaluation of risk makes a big difference in determining what home/personal security one needs, and you probably won't ever need to use your revolver for defence - and I hope not. But firearms in the hands of an untrained and/or unpracticed person are often less than worthless and actually dangerous for the owner. Which reminds me - Lady O and I haven't been to the range lately. I think we'll add that to our weekend activities.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:16 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:23 pm
O Really wrote:
Ulysses wrote:
Perhaps.

Sure and evaluation of risk makes a big difference in determining what home/personal security one needs, and you probably won't ever need to use your revolver for defence - and I hope not. But firearms in the hands of an untrained and/or unpracticed person are often less than worthless and actually dangerous for the owner. Which reminds me - Lady O and I haven't been to the range lately. I think we'll add that to our weekend activities.
Do you bring your firearms with you in the RV?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I think he disassembles them and puts parts of some guns on the roof rack. Other parts of other guns are secured under the hood or in the wheel wells. The ammunition is in a canvas bag kept under the sink.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:08 am
I think he disassembles them and puts parts of some guns on the roof rack. Other parts of other guns are secured under the hood or in the wheel wells. The ammunition is in a canvas bag kept under the sink.
:D

Even cops aren't safe from 'Walking while Black' assaults.
‘Did Nothing Wrong Other Than Walking Through a Park’: Maryland Cop Pulls Taser and Gun, Pepper Sprays Black Embassy Officer In Uniform Before Arresting Him for Impersonation

... On May 11, 2018, Prince George’s District Court Judge Bryon Bereano dropped all the charges against Alexander and criticized the prosecutor for pursuing the case....

“On all four counts: The court finds that even looking at the light most favorable to the state, which the court is supposed to do at this time, that frankly, Mr. State, don’t take this personally, this is not a case that should have gone forward,” Bereano told the prosecutor.

“This is questionable at best, a lawful stop. Mr. Alexander did nothing wrong other than walking through a park after having worked a long, hard day, carrying his belongings from work and carrying his groceries, and a police officer who wasn’t following protocol only exacerbated the situation by making it worse. And that was clear from his own testimony.” ...
Good on the judge, but :roll: :x . I hope the suit is successful.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 2:44 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:08 am
:D

Even cops aren't safe from 'Walking while Black' assaults.
‘Did Nothing Wrong Other Than Walking Through a Park’: Maryland Cop Pulls Taser and Gun, Pepper Sprays Black Embassy Officer In Uniform Before Arresting Him for Impersonation

... On May 11, 2018, Prince George’s District Court Judge Bryon Bereano dropped all the charges against Alexander and criticized the prosecutor for pursuing the case....

“On all four counts: The court finds that even looking at the light most favorable to the state, which the court is supposed to do at this time, that frankly, Mr. State, don’t take this personally, this is not a case that should have gone forward,” Bereano told the prosecutor.

“This is questionable at best, a lawful stop. Mr. Alexander did nothing wrong other than walking through a park after having worked a long, hard day, carrying his belongings from work and carrying his groceries, and a police officer who wasn’t following protocol only exacerbated the situation by making it worse. And that was clear from his own testimony.” ...
Good on the judge, but :roll: :x . I hope the suit is successful.
Ah, that whole thing is bad. Makes me want to stomp something. But there may be a lot of grocery money coming to the secret grocery smuggler.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 3:41 pm
Ah, that whole thing is bad. Makes me want to stomp something. But there may be a lot of grocery money coming to the secret grocery smuggler.
Endless surf and turf for him, ramen for M-NCPPC Police Officer Mel Proctor.

I forgot to mention the twin .50 cals that O Really has mounted in the grill and the rear ball turret that Lady O operates. Nobody messes with the right to bear RVs.
1312. ETTD.