Syria/Iraq

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Syria/Iraq

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:Assad and Russia have been rightly condemned for what they're doing to the (Aleppo) civilian population in their efforts to root out the rebels. It will be interesting to see if the same standards are applied to the US, Kurds and Iraqi government in their efforts to root out the Daesh rebels in Mosul.
Ask the dead babies in Fallujah
Eyewitnesses describe deadly (as high as 300) airstrike in Iraqi neighborhood (in Mosul)
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:Assad and Russia have been rightly condemned for what they're doing to the (Aleppo) civilian population in their efforts to root out the rebels. It will be interesting to see if the same standards are applied to the US, Kurds and Iraqi government in their efforts to root out the Daesh rebels in Mosul.
Eyewitnesses describe deadly (as high as 300) airstrike in Iraqi neighborhood (in Mosul)

March 17th

To be fair, we have announced that there will be an investigation
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

How do those usually turn out?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:How do those usually turn out?

Likely the evil - insert name her - were attacking us. How were we to know these evil scum were using human shields,

or

Russia did it like way more than us.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

March 17th

scroll line on msnbc this a.m. read, "dozens of civilian causalities to be investigated".

I'm so relieved by this comforting information - imagine dozens of people - I suppose it could be less next week.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

March 17th

scroll line on msnbc this a.m. read, "dozens of civilian causalities to be investigated".

I'm so relieved by this comforting information - imagine dozens of people - I suppose it could be less next week.

Investigation over. All is well.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Donald J. Trump‏ Verified account
@realDonaldTrump

Now that Obama’s poll numbers are in tailspin – watch for him to launch a strike in Libya or Iran. He is desperate.

2:39 PM - 9 Oct 2012
“What will we get for bombing Syria besides more debt and a possible long term conflict? Obama needs Congressional approval.”
-- Donald Trump, August 2013

Trump's dangerous expansion of executive war powers
For decades, Congress has relinquished its constitutional role in declaring war. But Trump is taking it to new extremes.

Syria strike disappoints Trump backers in media

President Trump railed against military intervention in Syria before he even launched his presidential campaign. Attacks in Syria, he warned President Obama in 2013, would only lead to "more debt and a possible long term conflict."

Trump carried that notion with him on the campaign trail last year, blasting what he deemed unnecessary military intervention and vowing to implement an "America first" foreign policy.

Trump's decision to launch a missile strike at a Syrian air base on Thursday night was seen as a departure from that stance, leaving some of the president's biggest right-wing media boosters furious and feeling betrayed....
Rand Paul: Trump needs Congress to authorize military action in Syria

... "While we all condemn the atrocities in Syria, the United States was not attacked," Paul said in a statement shortly after reports that the U.S. had launched more than 50 Tomahawk cruise missiles against an airfield in Syria.

"The President needs congressional authorization for military action as required by the Constitution, and I call on him to come to Congress for a proper debate," Paul said. "Our prior interventions in this region have done nothing to make us safer, and Syria will be no different." ...
Tell Congress: Stop Trump’s illegal war in Syria

(Tell) Congress: Oppose Illegal War in Syria

Tell President Trump: Open Doors to Survivors of Violence in Syria
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Investigation over. All is well.
And Trump was accountable:

"(An) attack that was so horrific ... against innocent people, including women, small children and even beautiful little babies. Their deaths was an affront to humanity. These heinous actions ... cannot be tolerated. I now have responsibility and I will have that responsibility and carry it very proudly. I will tell you that. It is now my responsibility. (It crossed) many, many lines. It crossed a lot of lines for me. That was a horrible, horrible thing, and I’ve been watching it and seeing it. And it doesn’t get any worse than that. And I have that flexibility. And it’s very, very possible and I will tell you it’s already happened that my attitude ... has changed very much.”

Oh wait, he was talking about Assad's weapons, my bad. Never mind.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Why would Syria mount 'chemical attack'?

While Western powers have blamed Syria's regime for this week's suspected chemical attack, questions remain over why it would make such a move following a string of victories and a diplomatic comeback....
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Why would Syria mount 'chemical attack'?

While Western powers have blamed Syria's regime for this week's suspected chemical attack, questions remain over why it would make such a move following a string of victories and a diplomatic comeback....

Putie thought Donnie needed a photo op

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Putie thought Donnie needed a photo op
I think you've hit a real possibility there.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Struggling POTUSes do always resort to a foreign "crisis" in order to deflect from their failures. Otoh, it could be that Trump's overt sloppiness in courting Putin's help to get elected has now backfired and he'll find it difficult to do Putin's bidding.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Twitter didn't come about until 2006, and really came to fruitation during Obama's term(s). A lot of social media really took off during that time.

Now we have a gold mine of hypocrisy.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

White House press secretary Sean Spicer, today:
"You had someone who was despicable as Hitler who didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."

Then later:
"... he was not using the gas on his own people the same way that Assad is doing."

Oh good, all those German Jews survived the gas chambers. I was worried.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Eric Trump says his 'heartbroken and outraged' sister Ivanka helped persuade their father to strike Syria

Great, our foreign and military policy is being decided by a former model with a bachelor's degree in economics, a current employer of Chinese and other offshore labor with zero relevant training or experience, and her brother is dumb enough to tell us this.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Nor the real world.

Republicans in Congress declared Obama's military action in Libya to be unconstitutional, because it was done without Congress's authorization. President Bush I did the same, ordered troops into Panama in 1989 to overthrow General Manuel Noriega. As with Obama, President Bush consulted with Congressional leaders but did not seek or receive Congress' authorization.

In reality the legal issues were settled by the Office of Legal Counsel when the same thing was done with troops sent into Haiti and Bosnia in the 1990s.