Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Basketball

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:55 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:17 pm
Repeat so far, GSW up by 15 at the half. Looking good, but I could do without a scary 3rd this time.
Sorry, but you had to know Boston was gonna make a run.

Give them credit for not folding.
Still 10 after 3, the same margin as the Game 5 final score. I'm good with that. Now 12 with 7 to go, getting close enough to taste.

Edit: Good to see struggling Draymond Green step it up. Double double.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:09 pm

Still 10 after 3, the same margin as the Game 5 final score. I'm good with that. Now 12 with 7 to go, getting close enough to taste.

Edit: Good to see struggling Draymond Green step it up. Double double.
22+ turnovers ain't gonna cut it.

Give Steph his MVP.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:24 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:41 pm
The Boston Celtics scored three points over the final 7:32 of Game 4.

This was Curry’s 32nd Finals game.
14-of-26 shooting (7-of-14 from deep), 8-for-9 on free throws.
Hope he gets his Finals MVP.
Undoubtedly, 34, but Wiggins, 18, had a great series. Then Poole came off the bench for 15. :thumbup:
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:16 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:18 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:44 pm
1-1, excellent! Stomped them by 19. Now on to Boston and hopefully regaining the homecourt edge, if not sweeping the Celtics.
Series prediction?
Well, my heart wants 4-1 and I might have posted that if GSW won last night by more than 20. Since they didn't, 4-2.
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Edit: They need to give interviewers a step stool. :)
Last edited by Vrede too on Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:55 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:17 pm

Repeat so far, GSW up by 15 at the half. Looking good, but I could do without a scary 3rd this time.
Sorry, but you had to know Boston was gonna make a run.

Give them credit for not folding.
Like they folded in Game 2?

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Warriors win it in Game 6.

There are fireworks* going off all over the SF Bay Area.

Only a chill wind has hit, less than 60F outside now. But, not a problem!

Yee-Haw!

*Some of the fireworks might be guns.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Warriors NBA championship parade 2022 date, time, route and how to watch Golden State's celebration
With an impressive road win in Game 6 of the 2022 NBA Finals, the Warriors captured their fourth championship in the past eight seasons. Golden State stars Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green added another chapter to their dynastic run, and more recent additions to the team such as Andrew Wiggins and Jordan Poole earned the first rings of their careers.

Before the Warriors shift their focus to the NBA Draft and free agency, they will travel to San Francisco to celebrate the seventh title in franchise history.

The Warriors will host their championship parade on Monday, June 20. The parade will begin at 11:20 a.m. PT and conclude at approximately 2 p.m. PT.

The Warriors' championship parade will start on Market Street at Main Street and end at Market and 6th Street. The parade route will be just over a mile in length.

I'll probably watch it on local TV.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Warriors' Steph Curry goes on elaborate revenge spree in aftermath of NBA Finals

Does Beantown deserve it?

Probably!
Earlier in the NBA Finals, Golden State Warriors star Stephen Curry called himself "the petty king" in reference to him wearing a T-shirt mocking a Boston bar that insulted his wife Ayesha's cooking prowess.

"I know all about everything and I use it as entertainment and have fun with it," Curry said.

After clinching the NBA Finals Thursday night — and winning his first-ever Finals MVP in the process — Curry made sure to use his knowledge of "everything" to settle several scores.

The Boston bar that put up signage and sold T-shirts with the phrase "Ayesha Curry can't cook" was predictably on Curry's list of targets: the Dubs star posed for a picture with one of the shirts along with his Finals MVP trophy. "Bye Boston," he wrote in a caption on Instagram.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Watching the Dubs celebration on local TV.

Looks like a great day in SF. And people are having a good time.

One drawback is though that the local transit system has had a problem (BART from Richmond). Other than that, smooth sailing.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

MASSIVE Dubs celebration still going on in SF. It was supposed to end at 1 pm, it's now 1:30 and still going strong.

Commentary describes it as pandemonium, but in a good way.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

BTW, I managed to record to DVD the Dubs parade/celebration in SF today. No, I didn't even try to attend it. But it was fun to watch on the TV.

Later!

GoCubsGo
Admiral

The Greatest? Maybe.

Certainly one of the top two.

RIP Bill Russell.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bill-russe ... 45014.html

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:45 pm
The Greatest? Maybe.

RIP Bill Russell.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bill-russe ... 45014.html
Oakland represent!

11 championships as a player. So, almost twice as good as MJ? :P
... In 30 elimination games at the college, pro and Olympic levels, Russell was a staggering 28-2.

... Backboned by Russell, the (University of San Francisco) Dons won two college basketball championships and strung together a winning streak of 55 straight games.

... Once, in Marion, Indiana, Russell was presented with the key to the city. Later that same night, Russell was refused service at a local restaurant. He immediately drove to the mayor’s house and gave back the key.

... In 1975, he declined to attend his Hall of Fame induction, later calling it insulting to all the Black players who were not inducted before him.

... Russell’s Celtics were 85-57 against Wilt; in eight playoff series against Chamberlain, Russell lost only once....

For all he accomplished, he is best known for this: On the court or off, Bill Russell never backed down.
:-|| Rest in Power.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:45 pm
The Greatest? Maybe.

RIP Bill Russell.

Bill Russell's No. 6 jersey being retired across NBA, a 1st for the league

... Players who currently wear No. 6 — including the Los Angeles Lakers' LeBron James — may continue doing so. But the number cannot be issued again, the league said.

All NBA players will wear a patch on the right shoulder of their jerseys this season, the league said, and every NBA court will display a clover-shaped logo with the No. 6 on the sideline near the scorer's table....

He marched with Martin Luther King Jr., stood with Muhammad Ali and received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Barack Obama.

And having his number retired leaguewide puts him in a very exclusive club.

Major League Baseball permanently retired No. 42 — in honor of Jackie Robinson, who broke the big league's color barrier — with the understanding that those who were wearing that number could continue to do so. Mariano Rivera of the New York Yankees was the last in the majors to wear No. 42, doing so through his final season in 2013.

The NHL, upon Wayne Gretzky's retirement in 1999, said his No. 99 would be retired leaguewide in honor of that sport's all-time scoring leader.

And now, Russell gets the same treatment. It also seems fitting that he and Robinson — both barrier-breakers — are linked again. Russell called Robinson a hero, once saying that "he showed me the way to be a man in professional sports."

Robinson, clearly, held Russell in high esteem as well. Rachel Robinson, his widow, asked Russell to be a pallbearer at her husband's funeral in 1972.

"This is a momentous honor reserved for one of the greatest champions to ever play the game," NBPA Executive Director Tamika Tremaglio said. "Bill's actions on and off the court throughout the course of his life helped to shape generations of players for the better and for that, we are forever grateful. We are proud to continue the celebration of his life and legacy alongside the league." ...
:clap: :-||
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:04 pm

"This is a momentous honor reserved for one of the greatest champions to ever play the game," NBPA Executive Director Tamika Tremaglio said. "Bill's actions on and off the court throughout the course of his life helped to shape generations of players for the better and for that, we are forever grateful. We are proud to continue the celebration of his life and legacy alongside the league." ...
:clap: :-||
Outstanding.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So I see that the NBA has hammered Suns/Mercury basketball team owner Robert Sarver for being an obnoxious, offensive, and crude asshole. I thought "damn, he must have been grabbing women by the pussy or making the players give blowjobs for playing time." Well, not exactly. The hotshot law firm investigating him interviewed 320 people, going back 18 years and pretty much gave them the opportunity to tee off on Sarver for whatever grievance they might have had. See link below for details, but basically it was relatively low-level harassment, much not even recently, and is notable more for what it did not include then what it did: It did not include any touching, any sexual advances, or any actual discrimination based on sex or race. He's accused of using "nigger" 5 time in the 18 years, but none of it was calling anybody a nigger, nor referring to anybody as such - generally he was repeating somebody else.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nb ... -rcna47524

Now I don't doubt he's crude and offensive and deserves some degree of neoplacebo stomp, but if the NBA is going to hit its max $10mill fine and a year total suspension for this, what are they going to do to somebody who actually is awful? And what a difference between Sarver's treatment and Snyder's in the NFL. Pretty much the same behaviour. Way different response.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:41 pm
And what a difference between Sarver's treatment and Snyder's in the NFL. Pretty much the same behaviour. Way different response.
Like Jerry Richardson?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:04 pm
Like Jerry Richardson?
... On the same day, it was announced that Richardson intended to sell the Panthers franchise at the conclusion of the 2017 season. After great interest from the market, in May 2018 Richardson finalized a sale to billionaire and then Pittsburgh Steelers minority owner David Tepper for an NFL record sales price of $2.2 billion. The deal was approved by NFL owners on May 22, 2018. On June 28, 2018, Richardson was fined $2.75 million for the alleged workplace misconduct....
0.125% :roll:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:49 pm
(tweet)
Pretty slick move by the Black guy, too. I would have been impressed by just that. Is he a ringer and who is videoing?

Hah, great minds . . .
I’m more impressed by the dude on the phone ngl 😭
For sure, but homie is straight cash from here?! How far is this, anyone? 😵‍💫
at least five points
Both guys have mad skills.
But wait, why were both of them so athletic?! Buddy on the phone turned into David Beckham
Aha.
It’s staged.
Hooper went viral for giving dudes buckets.

Guy on the phone has gone viral for soccer trick shots with water bottles.

Still the most NY video I’ve seen today though.
Most of these are like that . But I am not mad at this one . It was done well enough and it took some skill.
staged or not, they still had to execute in one take which appears they did
If it's not staged, the person on the other end of that phonecall is now deaf.
What was more impressive, the flick or the basket?
Probably the frogger run across the street! 😂
😂

:lol:
Dude was getting back on defense.
highest degree of difficulty is always NYC traffic
Like he was running from a murder scene, which he sort of was...
They say he is still running to this very day
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So I'm not a cheater, and I don't condone cheating, but if all Ime Udoka really did was have a consensual affair with a staffer, the one-year (and maybe forever) suspension seems a bit harsh. Maybe it wasn't totally consensual, although nobody so far has claimed it wasn't. Maybe there were other factors of favouritism or discrimination. Maybe he embezzled money to pay her with, I don't know. But if there's more to the story they need to say so.

Yeah, yeah, I know - "an imbalance of organizational power prevents any true consensual relationship." That argument has some merit as a legal/technical construct, but IRL it's bullshit. A person can absolutely voluntarily and willfully enter into a relationship with risks - knowing the risks and for whatever reason choosing to accept them. May not be wise to put that much trust in someone with organizational power over you, but lots of people do - many at their own initiation. Also not wise to put that much trust in someone who may later claim coercion or harassment when things turn south, but lots of people do.

Maybe I've just worked for sleazy organizations, but everywhere I've worked, somebody has had affairs. Again, I'm not saying it's right, just that it's common and most truly consensual affairs don't result in firing/suspension, or harassment charges. Celtics have only given part of the story - what's the rest?
What percentage of relationships meet at work?
A new survey from SHRM, the Society for Human Resource Management, found that 50 percent of workers have had a crush on a colleague, and more than one-third (34 percent) of U.S. workers have been involved in or are currently involved in a workplace romance—up 7 percentage points from last year.Feb 11, 2021