Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:44 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:25 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:12 pm
It's at least debatable....
Bar room talk.

Michael has six rings in six tries (with six finals MVP's) and did it in a fewer number of seasons than Lebron. Lebron isn't going to get six, heck he's 4-6 in the finals.
The window is closing fast. Number of years doesn't get you GOAT, otherwise Brett Favre or George Blanda or even Vinnie Testaverde would've been the goat until Brady came along.

Lebron was in this year until he was out. Injuries amongst other things did in the Lakers.
I deleted that sentence before you posted because I saw that I posted in Oct, "It's debatable, I don't have an opinion." No sense in belaboring something I don't care about.

You missed Brees. Some of his stats beat Brady's. ;)
And one more coming.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Basketball

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 12:20 am
And one more coming.
Yeah, especially after this year I would sigh and call Brady the undeniable GOAT, but even you have shown awe towards LeBron:
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:28 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:15 pm
Does Lebron get an asterisk for a title in an abbreviated bubble season that no one cares about or watched?
Who? :D

Fine with me. That would leave the Golden State Warriors' streak of 5 straight Finals appearances unbroken.

I'm most impressed that Lebron has been in the Finals 9 of the last 10 years, with 3 different teams! He won 4 of them. It's a case for GOAT, rivaled only by MJ winning 3 then another 3 separated by 2 years, Kobe, the 1980s Lakers and the players of the 1957 - 69 Celtics.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBA_champions
GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:54 am
That actually is impressive.
(emphasis added :P )

Lakers star LeBron James' astounding NBA playoffs and Finals record list
Jeff Zillgitt
USA TODAY

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Los Angeles Lakers star LeBron James just keeps moving higher in the NBA’s playoff and Finals record book by the game.

He passed John Stockton for second place on the NBA’s all-time playoff assist leaderboard in Game 3 of the NBA Finals, and in Game 5 on Friday, he will tie Derek Fisher for No. 1 on the league’s all-time postseason games played list.

He is already No. 1 on the all-time playoff scoring list, No. 1 in Finals triple-doubles, No. 1 in playoff minutes played, No. 1 in playoff steals and in the top five in several other categories.

No. 1 in playoff points with 7,423 — 1,436 ahead of No. 2 Michael Jordan.

No. 1 in playoff steals (441).

No. 1 in playoff field goals (2,643).

No. 1 playoff free throws (1,730).

No. 1 in Finals triple-doubles (10).

No. 1 in playoff minutes played with 10,728 — over 1,300 more than No. 2 Duncan.

No. 1 in playoff games played on Friday night in Game 5 with 259 — that’s three more seasons of games.

No. 2 in playoff two-pointers made with 2,236 — 120 behind Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

No. 2 in playoff 3-pointers made with 407 — 63 behind Steph Curry.

No. 2 in playoff defensive rebounds with 1,933 — 148 behind Duncan.

No. 2 in playoff assists with 1,854 — with an outside chance to catch Magic Johnson at 2,346 if he advances deep into the playoffs three or four more times.

No. 2 in playoff triple-doubles with 27 — three behind Johnson.

No. 2 in Finals steals with 89 — 13 behind Johnson.

No. 2 in Finals points with 1,494 — 185 points behind Jerry West.

No. 2 in Finals assists with 413 — 171 behind Johnson.

No. 2 in Finals field goals with 560 — 52 behind West.

No. 3 in Finals appearances with 10 — only Bill Russell (12) and Sam Jones (11) have more.

No. 3 in Finals 2-pointers made with 466 — behind West and Abdul-Jabbar.

No. 3 in Finals minutes played with 2,252 — behind Russell and West.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 928932002/
Who am I to argue with . . . you? :wave:
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:24 am

Who am I to argue with . . . you? :wave:
😆
Don't get me wrong, he's absolutely incredible and definitely a better citizen than Jordan was in his playing days (although Jordan did do a lot of good stuff that was under the radar, but not at Lebron's level.).
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:17 am
😆
Don't get me wrong, he's absolutely incredible and definitely a better citizen than Jordan was in his playing days (although Jordan did do a lot of good stuff that was under the radar, but not at Lebron's level.).
You make a strong case for GOAT Jordan above and I'm not trying to persuade you, or myself, otherwise, but I just had a thought. Recalling Jordan's success also means remembering Pippen, Rodman and maybe Grant and a couple of others. Steph has had a couple of his teammates win Finals MVP. However, I can't think of a single LeBron Championship teammate without looking it up. Probably my bad. :oops:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:46 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:17 am
😆
You make a strong case for GOAT Jordan above and I'm not trying to persuade you, or myself, otherwise, but I just had a thought. Recalling Jordan's success also means remembering Pippen, Rodman and maybe Grant and a couple of others. Steph has had a couple of his teammates win Finals MVP. However, I can't think of a single LeBron Championship teammate without looking it up. Probably my bad. :oops:

Maybe my Chicago bias, but Jordan and the Jordanaires were much more of a national and global happening than LeBron and companies. Pippen was really the only constant, the rest were a rotating cast of role players with an entirely new roster for the second three peat.

Chris Bosh and Dwayne Wade don't come to mind?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:09 pm
Maybe my Chicago bias, but Jordan and the Jordanaires were much more of a national and global happening than LeBron and companies. Pippen was really the only constant, the rest were a rotating cast of role players with an entirely new roster for the second three peat.

It's not necessarily a positive for LeBron. Jordan often made the players around him far better than they otherwise were.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:57 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:09 pm

It's not necessarily a positive for LeBron. Jordan often made the players around him far better than they otherwise were.

Also the system helped make the legend. Until Phil Jackson and Tex Winter came in with the triangle and the two seasons it took Jordan to embrace it he hadn't won anything.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Chuck interviews Chuck

https://youtu.be/q5HSBQqlUW0
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

(Charlotte native) Stephen Curry passes Ray Allen for most 3-pointers made in NBA history

Curry finished with a team-high 40 points while shooting 9-of-17 from behind the arc.

Allen finished his career with 3,358 made 3-pointers. Curry, who is in his 13th season, hit Allen’s mark in 585 fewer games. He entered Friday night’s game averaging 3.7 made 3-pointers per game and shooting better than 47% from behind the arc for his career.

Curry set the single-season record with 402 3-pointers made during the 2015-16 season, when he averaged 5.1 made shots from behind the arc per contest. Headed into Friday night, Curry was averaging five made 3-pointers per game this season — meaning he’s almost perfectly on pace to match that outing.

Though Curry still has a ways to go to pull that off once again — the Warriors are only 12 games into the season, after all — his game certainly isn’t showing any signs of slowing down. At the rate he’s going, Curry should have this 3-point record locked down for a long, long time.
:clap: :-||
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:06 am
Chuck interviews Chuck

That Rouhier guy is pretty funny.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:41 pm
(irrelevant)
Reaching back 5 months for an excuse to post after me?

Sad.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Ulysses wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Chuck interviews Chuck

The Round Mound is too, but he's more of an acquired taste.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:53 am
Ulysses wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Chuck interviews Chuck

The Round Mound is too, but he's more of an acquired taste.
Who is "The Round Mound"? An NFL Center?

OK got it: Charles Barkeley. Basketball (figures). Called that because... He big and heavy and tough and effective...

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:28 am
Who is "The Round Mound"? An NFL Center?

OK got it: Charles Barkeley. Basketball (figures). Called that because... He big and heavy and tough and effective...
Barkley.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Barkley#College
Barkley played collegiate basketball at Auburn for three seasons. Although he struggled to control his weight, he excelled as a player and led the SEC in rebounding each year. He became a popular crowd-pleaser, exciting the fans with dunks and blocked shots that belied his lack of height and overweight frame. It was not uncommon to see the hefty Barkley grab a defensive rebound and, instead of passing, dribble the entire length of the court and finish at the opposite end with a two-handed dunk. His physical size and skills ultimately earned him the nickname "The Round Mound of Rebound" and the "Crisco Kid".

During his college career, Barkley played the center position, despite being shorter than the average center. His height, officially listed as 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m), is stated as 6 ft 4 in (1.93 m) in his book, I May Be Wrong but I Doubt It. He became a member of Auburn's All-Century team and still holds the Auburn record for career field goal percentage with 62.6%. He received numerous awards, including Southeastern Conference (SEC) Player of the Year (1984), three All-SEC selections and one Second Team All-American selection. Later, Barkley was named the SEC Player of the Decade for the 1980s by the Birmingham Post-Herald.

In Barkley's three-year college career, he averaged 14.1 points on 62.6% field goal shooting, 9.6 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.7 blocks per game. In 1984, he led the Tigers to their first NCAA Tournament in school history and finished with 23 points on 80% field goal shooting, 17 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, and 2 blocks. Auburn retired Barkley's No. 34 jersey on March 3, 2001....
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:24 pm
Also the system helped make the legend. Until Phil Jackson and Tex Winter came in with the triangle and the two seasons it took Jordan to embrace it he hadn't won anything.
Speaking of GOATs:
The Rush: Steph Curry breaks NBA 3-point record as Warriors slay Knicks

Stephen Curry further cements his GOAT legacy, breaking the NBA’s all-time made 3-pointers record in front of Ray Allen and Reggie Miller at Madison Square Garden. In the historic contest, the Warriors beat the Knicks ...
2977! :happy-cheerleaderkid: :-||

Maybe just a 3-point GOAT, but still. He's 33 and healthy. He passed Ray Allen, who had 18 seasons to Steph's 12. Reggie Miller is a distant 3rd. He also played 18 years. Then, there's James Harden, 32, still active, now with the Nets and nearly 300 behind Steph.
Pelicans respond to Thunder's preposterous game-tying shot with preposterous game-winning shot

The two worst teams in the Western Conference delivered one of the wildest finishes you will ever see.

Down 110-107 with 4.5 seconds left, Oklahoma City Thunder star Shai Gilgeous-Alexander received the ball and hit an awkward, nearly halfcourt 3-pointer to tie the game. The Oklahoma City crowd exploded, celebrating the kind of moment few and far between for the 8-19 Thunder this year.

The game was headed to overtime. All that was left for the Pelicans, who were out of timeouts, was to inbound the ball with 1.4 seconds left. Guard Devonte' Graham was tasked with the final possession, then threw up a prayer.

Unfortunately for the Thunder, the bank still counted.

Per ESPN Stats & Info, Graham's shot was the longest buzzer-beater in 25 years at 61 feet. It was also the first time in the last 25 seasons a game had seen multiple game-tying or go-ahead shots from at least 30 feet in the final five seconds.

Once raucously celebrating, the OKC crowd threw up more than a few surrender cobras as it watched Graham's shot reach the net.

Wow. :shock:

I've never heard of "surrender cobras" before.
Surrender cobra was popularized in 2015 with a viral photo of University of Michigan state football fan Chris Baldwin assuming a pose that many have likened to the face of the snake the cobra—hands crossed atop the head with the elbows jutting out, face long with shock or disbelief.

Baldwin struck the surrender cobra position after the opposing team’s Jalen Watts-Jackson made a play that spelled defeat for the Wolverines, a loss that shocked many in the football community.

In 2018, a photo of Ohio State University football coach Urban Meyer making the surrender cobra on the sidelines went viral. Many remarked that when a coach puts on a surrender cobra, you know the game is truly over.

No word on whether Urban threw up a surrender cobra when he learned that the Jags had sacked him, or to the rubbing floozy in that Ohio dive.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I read some time ago about why its instinctive to put hands to head in response to something shocking, but I don't remember exactly why now. But I like the term "surrender cobra." Very fitting.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:05 am
I read some time ago about why its instinctive to put hands to head in response to something shocking, but I don't remember exactly why now. But I like the term "surrender cobra." Very fitting.
RedditCFB
@RedditCFB

The late TCU turnover resulted in a #SurrenderStarfish from the QB and #SurrenderCobra in the stands

:violin: :violin: :lol:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

One common theory:
A sudden reach for the head with both hands makes up this gesture. The hands may be near the ears but not covering them, with elbows pointed toward the front.

What It Means: According to Navarro, this cue happens when people are trying to protect themselves from something they are in disbelief of. For example, someone who drives into a mailbox might suddenly reach for their head in astonishment, as if saying, “What the heck just happened!?”
Also

Hands on head
What It Means: You might have placed your fingers, interlaced, on top of your head, and your elbows flared out wide. This is a gesture that signals frustration and stress. And the worse the situation gets, the more your elbows might close together.

You might see a person’s hands on top of their head if they are struggling or overwhelmed with a task3. Give me a Rubik’s cube, and you’d be seeing me do this gesture all day!

You might even see a person planting their hands on their head when a natural disaster hits, when things aren’t going their way, or when they’re generally struggling to do something. Taken further, this might even lead to hair-pulling cues!

Read more at: https://www.scienceofpeople.com/head-body-language/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:08 pm
One common theory:

Also
Thanks.

Nets sacrifice safety and sanity by caving to unvaccinated Kyrie Irving

Sigh. Picture me doing a surrender cobra.
1312. ETTD.