Baseball

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Baseball

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

the whole moneyball thing. It’s the A’s trading all their good players, then raising ticket prices
This is a actually deja vuey, the Cubs are pretty much doing the same thing, calling it a retooling and fooling no one all while saying they've changed the "culture ".

The A’s want a $12 billion waterfront ballpark development, complete with hotels, restaurants and housing.
As well as massively renovating Wrigley (it's mostly brand new at this point), the Rickett's bought and renovated or completely redeveloped all the properties surrounding the ballpark. Those rooftop seats across the street? All now owned by the Cubs. The brand new hotel across the street....yep. This has all taken ten years and done incrementally.

I take some solace knowing that this had ensured that Wrigley will be here for years to come and will certainly outlast me. It's still the best place to catch a game in the league and draws fans because of Wrigley. The other thing is all these improvements were paid for out of pocket, no public funds.

A twelve billion dollar development? Don't see that happening in Oakland.

New buildings on the lower left of the ballpark.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 10:25 am
"The A’s want a $12 billion waterfront ballpark development, complete with hotels, restaurants and housing. The city wouldn’t help finance the stadium directly from current tax revenue but would redirect taxes generated by the project itself into the surrounding infrastructure.

Opponents of the project say it’ll interfere with the Oakland port, make gentrification worse and steal attention from more pressing issues facing the city, like homelessness.

Kaval says if the A’s don’t get this stadium, they’ll have to find a home somewhere else. It’s not a new threat."

Not a problem. The Coliseum would likely make a fine homeless sanctuary, with plenty of room for tents, RV's, inside sheltering, water/sewer (sometimes), and renewable food sources.
:D Plenty of cats for adoption as pets, awww . . . or for dinner. :o

Attendance would probably increase. :lol:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Hopefully they won't ever get the bright idea of selling off the naming rights. If they ever start calling it "Huawei Stadium" they might as well build a parking lot.
I resent every time they put some senseless corporate name on a place that had historical and local significance and tradition, like "Candlestick Park" or "Three Rivers."

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 12:17 pm
Hopefully they won't ever get the bright idea of selling off the naming rights. If they ever start calling it "Huawei Stadium" they might as well build a parking lot.
I resent every time they put some senseless corporate name on a place that had historical and local significance and tradition, like "Candlestick Park" or "Three Rivers."
So agree with that. They sell ads all over the inside of all ballparks and stadiums to boot. How much additional revenue is the name Guaranteed Rate Stadium or the StubHub Center generate in the big picture.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

A perfectly good name, Seahawks Stadium was renamed Qwest Field on June2, 2004. After seven seasons, the stadium was renamed CenturyLink Field on June 23, 2011, and later rebranded to Lumen Field on November 19, 2020.

Lumen: "Powering Scalable Collaboration, Secure Connection And Amazing Digital World Experiences. The Platform For Amazing Things, Delivering Scale, Speed & Intelligence For Enterprise."

Yeppers, we can all relate to that.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 1:16 pm
A perfectly good name, Seahawks Stadium was renamed Qwest Field on June2, 2004. After seven seasons, the stadium was renamed CenturyLink Field on June 23, 2011, and later rebranded to Lumen Field on November 19, 2020.

Lumen: "Powering Scalable Collaboration, Secure Connection And Amazing Digital World Experiences. The Platform For Amazing Things, Delivering Scale, Speed & Intelligence For Enterprise."

Yeppers, we can all relate to that.
New Comiskey Park has gone to U.S. Cellular Field to Guaranteed Rate Field.
:puke-left: :puke-left:
From 1991, when the stadium opened, to 2002, it was called New Comiskey Park, named for Charlie Comiskey, the team's owner for 31 years. It replaced the original Comiskey Park, which stood from 1910 to 1990.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/new ... 4gdsv3rpva

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 12:17 pm
Too late. :ateeth:
Oakland Coliseum, currently branded as RingCentral Coliseum ...

RingCentral, Inc. is an American publicly traded provider of cloud-based communication and collaboration products and services for businesses.

RingCentral also has a mission to enable feral cats.
'It’s not his fault Phil Castellini is a jackass': Fans of Reds, Pirates, Orioles and A’s sound off about their teams’ losing ways

“Oh, you want to hear about attending A's games? As anyone who's been within earshot of me for more than three minutes can attest, I'm happy to talk about not attending A's games.”

... I solicited feedback from fans of the: A’s, Cincinnati Reds, Baltimore Orioles and Pittsburgh Pirates. They’re not strictly the worst-attended teams (although, the Pirates and A’s are), but they’re teams in various stages of losing whose behavior has publicly alienated fans.

Fans looks on during a game between the San Diego Padres and the Cincinnati Reds on April 28.

... Orioles — 'I honestly think the O's are (finally) on the right track'

The Orioles lost over 100 games the past three full seasons, and yet the city seems to have hope. This year, their attendance is up slightly, currently sitting at 22nd in baseball, the highest of these four teams.

“I believe that where the Orioles are, in comparison to the other teams you listed in your tweet, is an entirely different position,” wrote Dan Krotz of Damascus, Maryland. He acknowledged that the rebuild was brutal, “but we're at a point now where we're coming out of it and can see the light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak.” ...
Go Orioles . . . I hope. Currently 14-20 :angry-banghead: . Baltimore is just 1/2 game ahead of the AL East cellar-dwelling Boston.
https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/standings/
Oakland Athletics' Frankie Montas pitches against the Tampa Bay Rays during the first inning of a baseball game in Oakland, Calif., Wednesday, May 4, 2022.

A's — 'Being an A's fan was starting to feel like a bad Lifetime movie'

... “Being an A's fan was starting to feel like a bad Lifetime movie,” Willis of Concord, California, wrote — threats to leave followed by charming success; teardowns; a hope that sufficient love, loyalty (and money) will convince them to stay.”

The team’s lease at the Coliseum runs through only 2024 and extending it is essentially not an option given the state of the stadium.

“Oakland's in a critical situation,” MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said in October. “We've had to open up the opportunity to explore other locations just because it's dragged on so long. Frankly, in some ways we're not sure we see a path to success in terms of getting something built in Oakland.”

That ominous allusion was accompanied by the franchise’s explicit exploration of following the once Oakland Raiders to Las Vegas. More recently, the plan for a new park at the Howard Terminal site at the Port of Oakland — first discussed back in 2018 — has seemed to pick up steam. But the threat of leaving lingers over a season that they’ve started 14-19....

“It’s not like this is the first time the A’s have low attendance,” he wrote. “But it does feel like the first time that the team has completely alienated their fans.”

It’s early in the season, but the numbers are grim. The A’s are the only team with an average crowd less than 10,000. They’ve seen the most precipitous drop off in attendance of any team since 2019, and even diehards are losing interest.

“People have talked about the A's going here or there for so long I just have a general malaise about the whole situation,” wrote 35-year-old Andrew Patrick.

He lives just 20 minutes from the Coliseum, but hasn’t gone to any games this season. It’s not all the relocation talk, per se. The experience just isn’t worth it anymore.

The A’s emerged from MLB’s lockout ready to sell, and ended up trading three of their best players — Matt Olson, Matt Chapman and Chris Bassitt — to keep their payroll second lowest behind Pittsburgh and load up on prospects. The lack of competitiveness from the outset and the fact that amenities at the Coliseum seem worse even than before have eroded his commitment to the team....

“I don’t think there is anything an A’s fan can actually do, attendance related or otherwise, to influence events toward our desired goals as fans,” wrote Ricky Dunham, 41, of Murrieta, California. “Mr. Fisher has his own goals and he’s going to respond to events in whatever manner supports those goals. So if we don’t attend games, he gets to cite low attendance and talk relocation and we lose. If we do attend games, he makes more money, nothing changes, and we still lose.”

And, so, for the most part, they don’t attend games and photos of empty seats at A’s games will circulate on Twitter — because the product is bad, the future uncertain and the prices are disproportionate with the experience. Or because some fans still have faith that a soft boycott might make a difference. But not because the A’s don’t have fans to begin with.

“The Coliseum is my happy place. It's basically a second home. I've gone to games there my whole life. It would kill me to have to go less because of the price hikes and it kills me even more to not go at all in protest. But I've been taken for granted and taken advantage of by John Fisher and his ownership group for far too long, enough is enough,” wrote Willis, whose ardent email was at the start of this story.

“All those A's games with announced attendance less than 10% of capacity? That's not because the East Bay doesn't love baseball, because we do.”
:(

Oakland is now 0 games ahead of Texas in the AL West, though its percentage is slightly better. Detroit holds the AL cellar.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

It really gets in my craw that historic and proud franchises like the Reds, Pirates, Tigers and more are so cavalier and dismissive of their fans that they blatantly tank and without regard to the people that support them and assume they'll be coming back.

O Really
Admiral

Ticket sales are about 30% of revenue. Starting in 2022 every MLB team will receive a guaranteed $60.1 million via national TV deals (averaging out the money from the life of those deals). Likely every local tv deal averages >$40m per year. So every single team is getting $100m+ guaranteed before selling a ticket.

They probably either don't care much about fans (despite what they say), or their saving on pay and using second tier players more than makes up for the loss of ticket sales.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 4:34 pm
Ticket sales are about 30% of revenue. Starting in 2022 every MLB team will receive a guaranteed $60.1 million via national TV deals (averaging out the money from the life of those deals). Likely every local tv deal averages >$40m per year. So every single team is getting $100m+ guaranteed before selling a ticket.

They probably either don't care much about fans (despite what they say), or their saving on pay and using second tier players more than makes up for the loss of ticket sales.
I'm too lazy to look, but are concessions and merchandise part of the ticket sales? That's a big chunk of change also.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:02 pm

I'm too lazy to look, but are concessions and merchandise part of the ticket sales? That's a big chunk of change also.
I dunno. I was just noting that they can probably afford to not care much what fans want.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really
Admiral

Looks like anybody can be a creative accountant. The Forbes data was from 2018ish; the formula I quoted is 2022, but who knows. Probably neither is right and the owners make gazillions no matter what.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 10:25 am
"The A’s want a $12 billion waterfront ballpark development, complete with hotels, restaurants and housing. The city wouldn’t help finance the stadium directly from current tax revenue but would redirect taxes generated by the project itself into the surrounding infrastructure.

Opponents of the project say it’ll interfere with the Oakland port, make gentrification worse and steal attention from more pressing issues facing the city, like homelessness.

Kaval says if the A’s don’t get this stadium, they’ll have to find a home somewhere else. It’s not a new threat."

Not a problem. The Coliseum would likely make a fine homeless sanctuary, with plenty of room for tents, RV's, inside sheltering, water/sewer (sometimes), and renewable food sources.
Well, the latest I've read is that the A's manager is still trying to get the Waterfront Stadium going.

A key government body has approved it. That's the BCDC (San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission), which on May 4, 2022 approved the plan to build the new stadium at "Howard Terminal". The BCDC is a very powerful entity in the SF Bay Area, and its approval clears a major hurdle for the new park.

A’s $12B Ballpark Plan in Oakland Clears Hurdle
The Oakland A’s have been granted approval by the San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission to build a new waterfront ballpark.

About $1 billion will go toward a 35,000-seat ballpark — that’s almost half the capacity of the team’s current home, which seats 63,000. The project includes a 400-room hotel, 270,000 square feet of retail space, 3,000 housing units, and around $450 million in community benefits.

The A’s desire to build a new stadium comes amid record-low attendance to start the 2022 season, and the process hit a bump in the road in March after the commission’s Seaport Planning Advisory Committee voted 5-4 to maintain the area’s “port use” status.

There is more work to be done for the A’s as they look to break ground on a new ballpark. The California Department of Toxic Substances Control also needs to grant approval, while final say will go to Alameda County.
I don't see a problem with the Toxics approval, nor with the Alameda County approval.

YMMV

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

More on the new A's ballpark proposal:

For those who may not know, the BCDC is a major player for anything that happens in the SF Bay Area. This approval is likely to be a big boost to construct the new ballpark and keep the A's in Oakland.

Yay!

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Ahead of June vote, BCDC staff recommends moving A's Howard Terminal ballpark plan forward
—BCDC STAFF GIVES A-OK—San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission (BCDC) staff issued a preliminary recommendation in support of removing Howard Terminal from its Port Priority Use Plan. If approved by the full commission next month, the determination would amount to another hurdle cleared for the proposed future home of the Oakland Athletics at the 50-acre Howard Terminal waterfront site.

—News of the report’s findings was well-received by Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, a major proponent of the ballpark project that also includes 18 acres of city parks and 3,000 units of new housing. “Today’s report is great news for Oakland and our region. I appreciate the BCDC staff’s due diligence and their preliminary recommendation to move this project forward and open Oakland’s waterfront to the public,” Schaaf said in a press release on Monday night.

—The 96-page staff report released on Monday estimates that without Howard Terminal as a port use, growth will increase at a moderate rate by 2050, resulting in an surplus of 22 acres of port land for all types of cargo. Port of Oakland and Oakland Athletics officials had previously argued for a slower rate of growth resulting in a much larger surplus of port land by 2050.

—BCDC staff determined that “removing Howard Terminal from Port Priority Use would not detract from the region’s capability to meet the projected growth in cargo, and has demonstrated that the cargo forecast can be met with existing terminals.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

How the Cubs helped break baseball

Tank you very much, Cubs!

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

What’s wrong with the Chicago Cubs?
...The Chicago Cubs have not started the season well as they sit tied for last in the NL Central. Their first four series of the season were against the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Milwaukee Brewers, two teams the Cubs should beat up on. However, instead, the Cubs went just 5-7 against those teams and have lost three of four series to start the season.

The bad news for this Cubs team is that they own worst the worst run differential in the NL and the third-worst in all of the majors. Run differential calculates runs scored minus runs against. Entering their game today against the Atlanta Braves, they have a run differential of -20.

Furthermore, it is shocking to see the Cubs struggle so much at the plate. They have not faced any top-of-the-line-pitching either to start the season. Although Milwaukee Brewers’ pitcher Brandon Woodruff is considered a great pitcher, besides him, the Cubs have not faced anyone else.

If the Chicago Cubs want to compete for the NL Pennant this season, they have to start hitting. This was a huge downfall for the Cubs at the end of the 2020 season as well where they lost in two games to the Miami Marlins. In that two-game series with the Marlins, Chicago only had one run on nine hits....
Maybe one of the Cubs found some honey?