The car thread ...

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The car thread ...

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:26 pm
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should" Part 4
https://yeahmotor.com/trucks/strange-trucks/

Here's the only one I think might be even close to the time and money it took to build.

:thumbup:
The Chevy Whatsitcalled

This Chevy has the grill and headlights of a condensed Trailblazer, the wheelbase and exposed axles of a Plymouth Prowler, the body of like three different vehicles and the convertible top of a 1927 Model T. This thing is truly strange….and we love it!
This one could be both stylish and practical for some folks. It's essentially a more aerodynamic crew cab PU.
GMC Centaur

This 1988 concept car is called the GMC Centaur. GMC’s idea behind this vehicle was to mix pickup trucks with a car’s comfort. In the marketing, they said, “It’s not just a truck anymore.” To us, it almost looks like a minivan with a truck bed thrown on the back. But hey, with a 5,000 towing capacity, we won’t make a big deal about its styling.
Similar:
Ford Mustang Ranger

Ford Ranger and Mustang fans get prepared. Have you ever wondered what these two beasts would look like combined? No. Well, we will show you anyway. Hey, it’s not the prettiest thing ever, but you got to admit the body looks clean.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:26 pm
"Just because you can doesn't mean you should" Part 4
https://yeahmotor.com/trucks/strange-tr ... cks2infpst

Here's the only one I think might be even close to the time and money it took to build.

Didn't look at the link, but that one alone is repulsive enough.

However, I'm sort of a car guy, and I can't fault car buffs for trying.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

OK, took a look at OR's link. These three I would consider driving, although I'm certain I'll never get the chance...

Always have had a soft sport for VW's... (I think this is an SF Bay Area vdub... seen it out at Blackhawk...)

OK, I'm a Mopar kind of guy... (Dodge "Deora")...

And this one looks just like too much fun to pass up... Probably a big hit at car meets...

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

:shock: 1955 Mercedes coupe sells for 143 million. Only two were made. I do not have the other one.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/this ... 55767.html

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 6:24 pm
:shock: 1955 Mercedes coupe sells for 143 million. Only two were made. I do not have the other one.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/this ... 55767.html
No Bluetooth? Forget it.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Probably that sale should be in the Art thread instead of cars. Yeah, it's a car, but there is little about its car-ness to justify $143mill. That's just its uniqueness, design qualities, and visual and engineering beauty. Literally a work of art. I'm guess it probably will start up, but I didn't see whether or if they ever have driven it, and it apparently doesn't go to Concours. Wonder what the new owners will do with it other than keep it in their own museum. If I paid that much for a car I'd want to take it out for a drive at least once.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

New:
The New York Times Presents
Elon Musk's Crash Course
Episode aired May 20, 2022

Follows Tesla's Autopilot program and how this program has resulted in several deaths that Elon Musk and the company has yet to publicly acknowledge. Explores Musk's efforts to kill government investigations into the incidents.
Very interesting and infuriating. Ain't libertarianism grand?

FX. About 1:42 including ads. I haven't checked about future broadcasts or streaming.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

There's a guy in California running for Senate, Dan O'Dowd, whose only purpose in running is to trash Tesla. And all his ads have in-car shots of Teslas giving their drivers a hard time or running into or near-missing something.

https://nypost.com/2022/04/21/tech-bill ... usk-tesla/
Last edited by O Really on Sat May 21, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Elon Musk is not the founder of Tesla. i didn't know that until today.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat May 21, 2022 11:28 am
Elon Musk is not the founder of Tesla. I didn't know that until today.
News to me, thanks.
Founding (2003–2004)

The company was incorporated as Tesla Motors, Inc. on July 1, 2003, by Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning. Eberhard and Tarpenning served as CEO and CFO, respectively. Eberhard said he wanted to build "a car manufacturer that is also a technology company", with its core technologies as "the battery, the computer software, and the proprietary motor".

Ian Wright was Tesla's third employee, joining a few months later. In February 2004, the company raised $7.5 million in series A funding, including $6.5 million from Elon Musk, who had received $100 million from the sale of his interest in PayPal two years earlier. Musk became the chairman of the board of directors and the largest shareholder of Tesla. J. B. Straubel joined Tesla in May 2004 as chief technical officer.

A lawsuit settlement agreed to by Eberhard and Tesla in September 2009 allows all five – Eberhard, Tarpenning, Wright, Musk, and Straubel – to call themselves co-founders.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Not that I care, but I think it's reasonable that a person who provides 70% of the funding to get a company started should be called a "founder" even if s/he didn't file the original papers or have the original idea.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 11:20 am
Not that I care, but I think it's reasonable that a person who provides 70% of the funding to get a company started should be called a "founder" even if s/he didn't file the original papers or have the original idea.
I accept that reasonable people (and neoplacebo :P ) will define 'is' differently, but if there's a binding lawsuit settlement that's good enough for me. It's not like it matters given that Tesla and Musk have since become synonymous.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 11:44 am
O Really wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 11:20 am
I accept that reasonable people (and neoplacebo :P ) will define 'is' differently, but if there's a binding lawsuit settlement that's good enough for me. It's not like it matters given that Tesla and Musk have since become synonymous.
Damn right. I am not a founder of "is" but have advocated and stomped for years to establish "izz" and its broader field "izzism." Next year I will stomp for "wuz" and "wuzism."

O Really
Admiral

Take a new Camaro, re-skin it with newly-crafted fibre 1970 Chevelle. Then paint it a really ugly colour. Start price at $150K

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/enthusi ... =AAXCXnR|1

Builder's website here.
https://transamworldwide.com/

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

BTW,

I'm a little sick and tired of Elon.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Nothing worse than having a worker population (including management) that is absolutely fucking miserable, hates their work, hates their company, but is making too much to leave.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:23 pm
BTW,

I'm a little sick and tired of Elon.

Me too. I'm still liking his car, but the man is sounding like a typical clueless full of himself rich turd.

On this particular point, I agree with a company setting its own remote or non-remote environment and employees choosing to accept or move on.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:17 pm

On this particular point, I agree with a company setting its own remote or non-remote environment and employees choosing to accept or move on.
Well sure, if that were the end of the story. An employer has the right and prerogative to set its own working conditions as long as they're legal. But - big but - "take it or leave it" has rarely if ever been an effective management strategy if one is interested in employees who will perform at higher than the minimum level required to avoid being fired. Any policy that can't be explained to employees in a way that shows it is both necessary and reasonable is destined to fail. And if you haven't heard enough cliches', "employees will work up to expectations or down."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:21 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:17 pm

Well sure, if that were the end of the story. An employer has the right and prerogative to set its own working conditions as long as they're legal. But - big but - "take it or leave it" has rarely if ever been an effective management strategy if one is interested in employees who will perform at higher than the minimum level required to avoid being fired. Any policy that can't be explained to employees in a way that shows it is both necessary and reasonable is destined to fail. And if you haven't heard enough cliches', "employees will work up to expectations or down."
Plus, the pandemic is not over, vaccinated people are dying, and Musk has been somewhat of a COVIDiot. For some it's not just a job or not choice, it's a live or not choice.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

What just flew through a car window in Florida? It came from a truck and was ‘scary’

... An accident in Charlotte County, Florida, on Wednesday could have gone very differently. But miraculously, an adult driver and passenger were uninjured after a semi truck’s brake pad crashed through their windshield on I-75 near Port Charlotte, the Florida Highway Patrol reported....

:shock:
1312. ETTD.