The car thread ...

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Ulysses
Vice admiral

Re: The car thread ...

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:22 pm
"Old man crashes old car into old wall." This type of thing will likely become more prevalent.
https://www.yahoo.com/autos/old-man-cra ... 00342.html
Maybe.

It is noted that the car in question was a vintage Karmann-Ghia. It is sort of a death trap in a front end collision; he's lucky he didn't hit another car head-on. Motor in back, just gas tank and trunk in front.

What do you drive? A Tonka Truck?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

The author of that article is an idiot.
"Thankfully, with the engine located in the rear, the extensive front-end damage should involve minimal mechanical problems. "

That car will have to be totally rebuilt from the dashboard forward, if not more. Too bad, it was a beautiful car. The headline did remind me of my "old man" crashing my Austin-Healey, though.

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:57 pm

What do you drive? A Tonka Truck?
What does neoplacebo drive? Shirley you can't be serious.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:04 pm
The author of that article is an idiot.
"Thankfully, with the engine located in the rear, the extensive front-end damage should involve minimal mechanical problems. "

That car will have to be totally rebuilt from the dashboard forward, if not more. Too bad, it was a beautiful car. The headline did remind me of my "old man" crashing my Austin-Healey, though.
Yeah, I was scratching my head over that line as well.

Most insurance companies would just ignore the historic value and total the car.

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:08 pm

Most insurance companies would just ignore the historic value and total the car.
Depends on how he had it insured. Used to be, an old car was an old car to the insurance companies, although you could get reduced premiums for a rarely driven show car. Now, however, you can get current value insurance, so if you've got a totally restored Ghia that's worth $33 or $44K like these https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/ca ... rmann-ghia you can insure it for that amount. Costs more than your garden variety sedan coverage, but is worth it if you're going to street drive your piece of art.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

But those are not "most insurance companies".

I have my vintage rides insured through Hagerty. The daily driver, through whatever. I should probably review the insured value on them, though. And I'll probably need to let Hagerty know if I plan on taking the vintage van on a long trip.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ulysses wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:34 pm
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

So one of the things I may have mentioned that I like about SoCal is there are a lot of restored cars, hot rods and customs running around on the streets on the way to the beach, grocery, or dropping off the kids. But - here's a guy just tootling down the 5 in his Mustang minding his own business and a phone-tending woman slams into him from behind and drives him into the wall. Mustang totaled front and back.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/classic-mus ... 00814.html

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Dang, even bent the rim.

That's so sad. I hope nobody was seriously hurt.

However, Mustangs are not my favorite vintage ride. Partly because they are so common. Partly because they are usually found on road, dead.

O Really
Admiral

So I didn't know there was any such thing as all-electric formula 1-type racing, but I happened to catch a bit of the Monaco race this morning. After getting used to having no sound effects other than a faint whine, and getting past the "oooh, look at that hairpin curve"..."ooooh, look they're going through a tunnel"... it turned into watching slot cars. During the time I watched, there was no passing, no close racing - just a line of cars at highway safe distance cruising quickly through Monaco's street track. There was one car crashed into the guard rail. Because there's no room on the track, and no way to get out easily, they had these huge cranes around the track and it plucked the car up and set it down outside the rail. That was the most entertaining part of the time I watched.

https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/202 ... -in-monaco

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:01 pm
So I didn't know there was any such thing as all-electric formula 1-type racing, but I happened to catch a bit of the Monaco race this morning. After getting used to having no sound effects other than a faint whine, and getting past the "oooh, look at that hairpin curve"..."ooooh, look they're going through a tunnel"... it turned into watching slot cars. During the time I watched, there was no passing, no close racing - just a line of cars at highway safe distance cruising quickly through Monaco's street track. There was one car crashed into the guard rail. Because there's no room on the track, and no way to get out easily, they had these huge cranes around the track and it plucked the car up and set it down outside the rail. That was the most entertaining part of the time I watched.

https://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/202 ... -in-monaco
Do you think that was more a function of being electric or of being Monaco?

Ford is beating the competition with an electric-only F-150. It's a new world, albeit too little too late.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:11 pm

Do you think that was more a function of being electric or of being Monaco?

Ford is beating the competition with an electric-only F-150. It's a new world, albeit too little too late.
I don't think it was related to being electric, it was more just a style of driving as far as I could tell. I'm guessing all the cars have the same power and all the drivers are talented. Have no idea why they kept that distance between them unless they just don't want to risk wrecking the cars.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I read a story this morning saying Chevrolet is making a hybrid all wheel drive Corvette and is working on an all electric one.

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:04 pm
I read a story this morning saying Chevrolet is making a hybrid all wheel drive Corvette and is working on an all electric one.
Yeah, I saw that too. I think Chevy making an all electric sporty car is a fine idea, but they shouldn't call it a Corvette. Maybe a Corvolt.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:06 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Yeah, I saw that too. I think Chevy making an all electric sporty car is a fine idea, but they shouldn't call it a Corvette. Maybe a Corvolt.
I don't remember the details of it but supposedly the drive system is a new kind of battery technology that I forgot the name of but I do remember the story mentioned that GM still holds a trademark on the name "Uniray" and the story hinted that the new cars will be named some variant of that.....a tribute to the old "Stingray" moniker I guess. I do remember that new battery system did have a name that started with "U" hence the "Uniray" name.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:06 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
:D Dodge will just keep the Charger name.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Maybe they could outfit it with one of these:
https://www.sound-booster.com/en/sets/e ... hicle.html

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:15 pm
Maybe they could outfit it with one of these:
https://www.sound-booster.com/en/sets/e ... hicle.html
I want this to be my car's Sound Booster:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw6hRE-R_90
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Cruisin' on Grand starts for the season tomorrow. Yay!

https://www.cruisingrand.net/

https://www.cruisingrand.net/photo-gallery

O Really
Admiral

"Just because you can doesn't mean you should" Part 4
https://yeahmotor.com/trucks/strange-tr ... cks2infpst

Here's the only one I think might be even close to the time and money it took to build.