The car thread ...

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: The car thread ...

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

This is a weird one from 82 years ago

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/82-y ... 84898.html
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:25 pm
This is a weird one from 82 years ago

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/82-y ... 84898.html
Cool. Never saw that one.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Nice. It looks like a car you'd see while you're tripping. I was always intrigued by that gas turbine car Chrysler made back in the 60's. I even had a model kit of it. I don't think the car even had a name.

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:37 pm
Nice. It looks like a car you'd see while you're tripping. I was always intrigued by that gas turbine car Chrysler made back in the 60's. I even had a model kit of it. I don't think the car even had a name.
It was "Turbine Car" :P
One version was to be named "Chrysler Turboflight" but it never took off.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:11 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:49 pm
O Really wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:44 pm
What Lady O v.1 drove in college:

(image Jaguar XKE)
Sweet, when they run.
Oh you're familiar with that sleek pile of trainwreck, eh? Actually that's why Lady O v.1 (the "starter wife") was driving it. Her dad had it and started to hate it because it was so unreliable. She thought it was soooo cool, so "oh please dad, let me have it..." Among other incidents, it damn near got her killed on a railroad track.
Speaking of British cars . . .

Scotty Kilmer Says You Should Avoid This Automaker (Land Rover), Calls Its Cars "Endless Money Pits"
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:42 pm
Soon to be a Chevy truck commercial:
Watch an older GM pickup two-step with a Texas twister
Any landing you can walk (or drive) away from ...

... Fortunately for the driver, it eventually landed right-side up and still running, allowing for an escape.

According to the above twitter thread, the Chevy was driven by a teenager who walked away with only bumps and scrapes — and likely a newfound respect for both the power of nature and the wonders of modern(ish) automotive engineering.
:shock:

Hah! Great minds:
Chevy better advertise off of this
Like a rock
Chevy Donates New Truck to Texas Teen in Viral Tornado Video

:happy-cheerleaderkid:

Sticker price is plus or minus $50K, but Chevy has already gotten way more than that in free advertising from articles like this one.
1312. ETTD.

Sometime Lefty
Flight Lieutenant

Unread post by Sometime Lefty »

My uncle worked for Chrysler and was loaned that car. I was maybe 10 or 11 and he came over to give me a ride in it. It sounded like a jet engine and seemed fast to me at the time but I've read that they were not fast. He pointed out how he would floor the accelerator and the engine would have a long lag time to spool up the engine. The interior looked like a spaceship and at the time the space program was in overdrive and riding around in it was a dream come true for a ten year old.

O Really
Admiral

Yo, Lefty - how you been?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Sometime Lefty wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:26 pm
My uncle worked for Chrysler and was loaned that car. I was maybe 10 or 11 and he came over to give me a ride in it. It sounded like a jet engine and seemed fast to me at the time but I've read that they were not fast. He pointed out how he would floor the accelerator and the engine would have a long lag time to spool up the engine. The interior looked like a spaceship and at the time the space program was in overdrive and riding around in it was a dream come true for a ten year old.
Did you ever take your COVID-cancelled cruise?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Saw my first one of these today.
Pretty cool.
https://rivian.com/

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Chrysler made five (or six) Thunderbolts. It contracted with LeBaron (through its usual chassis maker Briggs) to make the unique (for the time) bodies. Here's an article that discusses both the Thunderbolt and the Newport. I actually prefer the styling on the Newport.

1941? Chrysler Thunderbolt:

Chrysler's Newport and Thunderbolt: Mere "idea cars" or an exoneration of the Airflow? (article from 2015)
Chrysler's Newport dual-cowl phaeton and Thunderbolt retractable hardtop roadster have, among automotive historians, long enjoyed status as Chrysler's first concept cars, predecessors to Chrysler's d'Elegance and other Ghia-built show cars. Yet, with the 75th anniversary of the two cars coming up this year, perhaps they now deserve a re-evaluation as the successors to—and defenders of the legacy of—the Chrysler Airflow.

To get the most mileage out of the two "idea cars," as Chrysler called them, the company commissioned LeBaron—via Briggs—to build a number of additional copies of each, which it then sent across the country on promotional tours, stopping at car shows and dealerships and other special exhibitions. One of the Newports even became the first non-production car to pace the Indianapolis 500 the following May.

As futuristic as the styling and gadgets were for both the Newport and Thunderbolt, they relied on fairly conventional underpinnings. The Thunderbolt rode atop Chrysler's C-26 127.5-inch-wheelbase chassis and the Newport atop the C-28 145.5-inch-wheelbase chassis, both powered by the company's 143-hp 323.5-cu.in. Spitfire straight-eight engines, backed by three-speed Fluid-Drive automatic transmissions. Each of the handbuilt cars differed in minor details, and Chrysler had each painted and upholstered in different color combinations.

With the onset of World War II—and with the idea cars exhausting their itineraries—Chrysler sold off all but one of its Newports and Thunderbolts at an estimated average cost of $6,000 apiece (at a time when a new Ford sold in the $800 price range). The one it kept, the one that paced the Indianapolis 500, went to Walter P. Chrysler Jr., while the others went to actors, millionaires, and dealers looking to draw traffic to their showrooms.

1941? Chrysler Newport:

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:20 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:42 pm
Soon to be a Chevy truck commercial:

Hah! Great minds:
Chevy better advertise off of this
Like a rock

Sticker price is plus or minus $50K, but Chevy has already gotten way more than that in free advertising from articles like this one.
Leon, who was headed home after a job interview at Whataburger when disaster struck, told KVUE that the tornado seemed to have come out of nowhere

Oooh, Whataburger....
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:48 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:20 pm

Leon, who was headed home after a job interview at Whataburger when disaster struck, told KVUE that the tornado seemed to have come out of nowhere
Oooh, Whataburger....
Something about driving to your Whataburger job in a brand new $50K pickup . . .
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:34 pm
(obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
He's supposed to say "sounded like a freight train..."

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:04 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
He's supposed to say "sounded like a freight train..."
Well, much of Texas is nowhere...

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

My battle with Firestone has resulted in victory. This morning I once again called the district manager of Firestone in Knoxville and told him "I'm going to give you one more chance to refund me the price of the defective tire your store sold me and then lied that they don't sell Uniroyal tires. I've written two letters to the boys in Nashville (the main office). One of them praises you for resolving my issue. The other one doesn't." He then told me that he'd mailed me a check a few days ago and that I should get it by the end of the week. I thanked him and said that now I know which letter to mail. So, with the 70% refund from Michelin and the check from Firestone, this makes the cost of my two new tires a little more than $35
Neotip: if you have trouble with a tire, get neo on the wire

GoCubsGo
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:13 pm
My battle with Firestone has resulted in victory. This morning I once again called the district manager of Firestone in Knoxville and told him "I'm going to give you one more chance to refund me the price of the defective tire your store sold me and then lied that they don't sell Uniroyal tires. I've written two letters to the boys in Nashville (the main office). One of them praises you for resolving my issue. The other one doesn't." He then told me that he'd mailed me a check a few days ago and that I should get it by the end of the week. I thanked him and said that now I know which letter to mail. So, with the 70% refund from Michelin and the check from Firestone, this makes the cost of my two new tires a little more than $35
The check is in the mail? :roll:

Hi you're not gonna suffer from premature victajaculation.

Kind of strange that a distributor would be so reluctant to not honor a factory warranty, it's not like he'd be out of pocket.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:16 pm
neoplacebo wrote:

:lol: Well, I won't be mailing either of those letters until I see this alleged check. Nobody puts the heave ho on neo.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:19 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:16 pm
neoplacebo wrote:

:lol: Well, I won't be mailing either of those letters until I see this alleged check. Nobody puts the heave ho on neo.
Wise decision.

Of course, if you were billing for all the time you spent on this matter, let's say at $40/hr, how much would that come to? Could you add that to your demand request? Just curious.

OTOH, you could just write it off as entertainment expense.