The car thread ...

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: The car thread ...

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:38 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:19 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:16 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:13 pm
My battle with Firestone has resulted in victory. This morning I once again called the district manager of Firestone in Knoxville and told him "I'm going to give you one more chance to refund me the price of the defective tire your store sold me and then lied that they don't sell Uniroyal tires. I've written two letters to the boys in Nashville (the main office). One of them praises you for resolving my issue. The other one doesn't." He then told me that he'd mailed me a check a few days ago and that I should get it by the end of the week. I thanked him and said that now I know which letter to mail. So, with the 70% refund from Michelin and the check from Firestone, this makes the cost of my two new tires a little more than $35
Neotip: if you have trouble with a tire, get neo on the wire
The check is in the mail? :roll:

Hi you're not gonna suffer from premature victajaculation.
:lol: Well, I won't be mailing either of those letters until I see this alleged check. Nobody puts the heave ho on neo.
Wise decision.

Of course, if you were billing for all the time you spent on this matter, let's say at $40/hr, how much would that come to? Could you add that to your demand request? Just curious.

OTOH, you could just write it off as entertainment expense.
I'd say I spent no more than two hours on the whole thing. It did interfere with my relentless pursuit of pleasure, but overall I came out about $140 ahead even if I figure in my time at your suggested rate. And that's entertainment. Nothing like being paid to be neo.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I saw a sad sight today. Decently restored/mildly custom '64 Impala, but with severe positive camber on the front and a squat rear. Had a bit of a low-rider look to it, but might have been all show-no go. Set up similar to the travesty below:

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:16 am
I saw a sad sight today. Decently restored/mildly custom '64 Impala, but with severe positive camber on the front and a squat rear. Had a bit of a low-rider look to it, but might have been all show-no go. Set up similar to the travesty below:

Sad.

Car abuse!

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I never heard of a "330" but I like the beer keg lashed to the front where the bumper should be.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ulysses wrote:
Wise decision.

Of course, if you were billing for all the time you spent on this matter, let's say at $40/hr, how much would that come to? Could you add that to your demand request? Just curious.

OTOH, you could just write it off as entertainment expense.
Ulysses wrote:
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:00 pm
I'd say I spent no more than two hours on the whole thing. It did interfere with my relentless pursuit of pleasure, but overall I came out about $140 ahead even if I figure in my time at your suggested rate. And that's entertainment. Nothing like being paid to be neo.
You need to bill more, hominy. In the whole wide world only you can be neo.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:52 am
I never heard of a "330" but I like the beer keg lashed to the front where the bumper should be.
That pic came from the "rockauto" site, as an example of something built from rockauto parts. Actually, they've got a bunch of stuff - you might want to check them out for your taillight lens.
https://www.rockauto.com/?a=FB-HP-SN&fb ... c4sLWiylCg

The "330" is just the engine size, like "327". It's not the model of the car.

O Really
Admiral

I thought of neoplacebo's lost tail light lens, and I'm really surprised the Gorilla glue didn't hold it. I would have thought it more likely that shortly after getting it permanently glued into place, the bulb would burn out.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:03 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:00 pm
You need to bill more, hominy. In the whole wide world only you can be neo.
:lol: Well, I figure it's a neo world and I've been thrust right into the middle of it. Been going out of business for nearly seven decades. Time, just like money, is worth more right the fuck now than it will ever be.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:55 am
I thought of neoplacebo's lost tail light lens, and I'm really surprised the Gorilla glue didn't hold it. I would have thought it more likely that shortly after getting it permanently glued into place, the bulb would burn out.
I was surprised as well. It may be that because the lens (about four inches long and about one and a half high) as well as being somewhat convex, had busted into two pieces...glued them back together and let it sit for a day and then waited for some semblance of warm weather to glue the whole thing back on. It's now covered with white duct tape. I've already been on Rock Auto and they don't have what I need. Oh, and the whole tail light easily comes off by loosening four plastic wingnuts from the inside which is how one normally replaces a bulb. As for that shitty green Oldsmobile, I was referring to the engine size of 330 which I had never heard of. General Motors made 307, 327, 350, 389, 396, 400, 409, 427....just never heard of a 330. Maybe it's the height in millimeters that the front suspension has been raised.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:55 am
I have a bottle of Gorilla Glue somewhere. It's not bad, but I suspect that it's not the best choice for the type of plastic used to make automotive light covers. Those are probably Lexan or similar plastic and would best be glued with whatever compound can actually partially dissolve the Lexan/plastic. And that stuff could be particularly nasty and/or hard to find.

And, lo and behold, my hunch was correct. The preferred solvent is methylene chloride, which is toxic and according to one site, https://homesteady.com/13401262/how-to-glue-lexan, requires the use of a respirator and rubber gloves.

Here's another site: https://plasticranger.com/polycarbonate-glue/

From that it sounds like neo may not have allowed enough curing time for the Gorilla Glue: it says 48 hours.

And it also recommends using Super Glue.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

"super glue" is cynoacrilate, a compound of cyanide that makes a bond between acrylic materials. Gorilla glue is just a trade name. Just think of it as a way to call an idiot an idiot without using that particular term.

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:19 pm
...just never heard of a 330. Maybe it's the height in millimeters that the front suspension has been raised.
:lol: :lol:

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:32 pm
"super glue" is cynoacrilate, a compound of cyanide that makes a bond between acrylic materials. Gorilla glue is just a trade name. Just think of it as a way to call an idiot an idiot without using that particular term.
Yes, but I'm pretty sure your light lenses are not acrylic. They are probably polycarbonate. Plastics can be complicated that way, especially for neophytes.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Oh, the beer keg is for the benefit of anyone you should happen to run over in the crosswalk.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:19 pm
... As for that shitty green Oldsmobile, I was referring to the engine size of 330 which I had never heard of. General Motors made 307, 327, 350, 389, 396, 400, 409, 427....just never heard of a 330. Maybe it's the height in millimeters that the front suspension has been raised.
As O Really posts pictures of:

The first second-generation Oldmobile V8 330 cu in (5.4 L) "Jetfire Rocket" introduced in 1964 and produced through 1967. It was released one year earlier than the tall deck 425, and debuted the standard 3.385 in (86.0 mm) stroke; bore was 3.938 in (100.0 mm). 330s were painted gold and had forged steel crankshafts. The 4 barrel versions had a larger diameter harmonic damper, the 2 barrel only a balancer hub without the rubberized outer ring.
neoplacebo wrote:
:lol: You do that a lot. I don't think that the idiot notices.
Ulysses wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:48 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Yes, but I'm pretty sure your light lenses are not acrylic. They are probably polycarbonate. Plastics can be complicated that way, especially for neophytes.
:roll: You're the one that said, "And it also recommends using Super Glue," a cyanoacrylate like Gorilla Glue is. You must be a comprehension and googling neophyte. Ironic.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:50 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Oh, the beer keg is for the benefit of anyone you should happen to run over in the crosswalk.
neoplacebo is not reckless or cruel. He only runs over people not in the crosswalk.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:07 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:50 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
neoplacebo is not reckless or cruel. He only runs over people not in the crosswalk.
It's like driving a St. Bernard.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Here's a pic of the actual car I reference above. Saw it again today. It's like seeing a starving dog - just hurts your heart. Reminds me of a wise saying, "just because you can build it doesn't mean you should."
Attachments
Junker 64-2.jpg

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:31 pm
Here's a pic of the actual car I reference above. Saw it again today. It's like seeing a starving dog - just hurts your heart. Reminds me of a wise saying, "just because you can build it doesn't mean you should."
Hate to hit a pothole in that travesty.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.