The car thread ...

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Mr.B
A bad person.

Re: The car thread ...

Unread post by Mr.B »

This'll be my next car; that is as soon as I'm old enough to win the lottery.

You know that "one foot in the grave, and the other on a banana peel" thingy....?

2016 Maybach S600

Sometime Lefty
Flight Lieutenant

Unread post by Sometime Lefty »

Jesus (if he had existed) would be proud of you. Fuck those people in need, Mr B deserves a really expensive car.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Sometime Lefty wrote:Jesus (if he had existed) would be proud of you. Fuck those people in need, Mr B deserves a really expensive car.
Supply Side Jesus approves.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I think supply side jesus, if he were around today, would drive a Bentley and run two out of three red lights. And he would anoint the faithful with sacred oil out of the Keystone pipeline. Amen.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Currently residing in a part of south Florida where Mercedes are like Hondas other places and where Rolls, Bentley, Ferrari, and Maserati aren't even unusual on the street, I've considered what I would drive if price were no object whatsoever. It wouldn't be a $190K Mercedes. I wouldn't buy an outrageously expensive car, but what I'd like is a variety in my garage. I'd like one good sedan, maybe a Mercedes, and a very fast sports car. I'd want a Jeep and a a Ford Raptor. And I'd like at least one immaculately restored classic, like a '57 Chevy and maybe a '64 Mustang.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:Currently residing in a part of south Florida where Mercedes are like Hondas other places and where Rolls, Bentley, Ferrari, and Maserati aren't even unusual on the street, I've considered what I would drive if price were no object whatsoever. It wouldn't be a $190K Mercedes. I wouldn't buy an outrageously expensive car, but what I'd like is a variety in my garage. I'd like one good sedan, maybe a Mercedes, and a very fast sports car. I'd want a Jeep and a a Ford Raptor. And I'd like at least one immaculately restored classic, like a '57 Chevy and maybe a '64 Mustang.
Cool; I'm figuring supply side jesus lives around there close. If I had a garage, I'd put a Dodge Hellcat and a Tesla S and maybe a 1966 SS396 Chevelle in there.

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:... and maybe a 1966 SS396 Chevelle in there.
No Chevelle, but my Mom drove a '65 Impala SS396 for years. My dad gave it to her for a Valentine gift in '65 and she kept it long after she had another "daily" car. Finally sold it sometime around '90 or so, and it still had a fresh inside smell. She never opened the windows. Even when she was a Q-tip, she still took that mutha out and only had two speeds - flat out and stopped. You couldn't even see her head over the seat most of the time. Two-door hardtop, that mid-sixties silver blue and white. Badass car. I wish I had kept it.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote: "Currently residing in a part of south Florida where Mercedes are like Hondas other places and where Rolls, Bentley, Ferrari, and Maserati aren't even unusual on the street, I've considered what I would drive if price were no object whatsoever. It wouldn't be a $190K Mercedes. I wouldn't buy an outrageously expensive car, but what I'd like is a variety in my garage. I'd like one good sedan, maybe a Mercedes, and a very fast sports car. I'd want a Jeep and a a Ford Raptor. And I'd like at least one immaculately restored classic, like a '57 Chevy and maybe a '64 Mustang."
Just hang loose....if and when relations with Cuba are finalized, if you'd like a classic, you might pick up a real bargain there. I saw David Muir of ABC reporting from Cuba on the news; it's estimated there's approximately 60,000 vintage automobiles still operating in Cuba!
Last edited by Mr.B on Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Sometime Lefty wrote:"Jesus (if he had existed) would be proud of you. F**k those people in need, Mr B deserves a really expensive car."
What a "dubmass"...are you a rectal orifice all the time, or just when you're awake?

O Really
Admiral

Mr.B wrote:
O Really wrote: "Currently residing in a part of south Florida where Mercedes are like Hondas other places and where Rolls, Bentley, Ferrari, and Maserati aren't even unusual on the street, I've considered what I would drive if price were no object whatsoever. It wouldn't be a $190K Mercedes. I wouldn't buy an outrageously expensive car, but what I'd like is a variety in my garage. I'd like one good sedan, maybe a Mercedes, and a very fast sports car. I'd want a Jeep and a a Ford Raptor. And I'd like at least one immaculately restored classic, like a '57 Chevy and maybe a '64 Mustang."
Just hang loose....if and when relations with Cuba are finalized, if you'd like a classic, you might pick up a real bargain there. I saw David Muir of ABC reporting from Cuba on the news; it's estimated there's approximately 60,000 vintage automobiles still operating in Cuba!
I saw that - but the value of those cars is mostly that they are Havana models. As you saw on the segment, nothing is original except the shell of the car. What I would want in my collection is a real 55 or 57 Chevy or 64 Mustang or 64 GTO that is back to original. That's not what is in Havana.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
No Chevelle, but my Mom drove a '65 Impala SS396 for years. My dad gave it to her for a Valentine gift in '65 and she kept it long after she had another "daily" car. Finally sold it sometime around '90 or so, and it still had a fresh inside smell. She never opened the windows. Even when she was a Q-tip, she still took that mutha out and only had two speeds - flat out and stopped. You couldn't even see her head over the seat most of the time. Two-door hardtop, that mid-sixties silver blue and white. Badass car. I wish I had kept it.
Go, mom! Cool.....one of my buddies in high school had a 67 Impala convertible, white with light blue interior but it was not a Super Sport; still a damn nice ride, though.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

May as well stay on memory road...another high school friend had a 59 Corvette, blue with the white insert areas on the sides, top comes off, big flat steering wheel, lots of fun. And another friend's dad owned the local Plymouth dealership so he always had a nice Roadrunner, GTX, Barracuda (440 with the six pack), Duster.....good old days, better than we knew.

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
O Really wrote:
Go, mom! Cool.....one of my buddies in high school had a 67 Impala convertible, white with light blue interior but it was not a Super Sport; still a damn nice ride, though.
My folks bought me some nice rides when I was young - I understand now it was only to keep me from wanting to drive theirs. The last time I drove the SS396 was in maybe '88, and I still remember the ride. I took it Christmas shopping in Bal Harbour, using my dad's handicap placard, and parked that succah in the limp-in spots to avoid any door-dings. Then I and my wife-at-the-time cruised South Beach. So cool, at the time.

O Really
Admiral

Cars I've owned and enjoyed...
57 Chevy -first car, wrecked through no fault of my own.
'62 Corvair - fun car, stable and safe. Nader was an idiot.
'66 Austin-Healey 3000 - dad wrecked on patch of black ice
'68 Porche 911L not street legal in the US at the time, but ridiculously fast when it would run.
'70 MGB - really fun car once you replaced all the Lucas electrics.
'62 Healey Sprite - scary to drive in traffic, but great fun in rallys and gymkhanas.
BMW's 2002, 3.0cs, 320IS... absolutely driving Nirvana, for it't time.
'91 Miata - yeah, laugh at the "gay" car, but it was everything you wished your British sports car could have been.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:Cars I've owned and enjoyed...
'68 Porche 911L not street legal in the US at the time, but ridiculously fast when it would run.
'62 Healey Sprite - scary to drive in traffic, but great fun in rallys and gymkhanas.
'91 Miata - yeah, laugh at the "gay" car, but it was everything you wished your British sports car could have been.
Prior vehicles:

'90 chevy lumina (sky blue)
'94 ford Taurus (baby shit green)

Watch out ladies.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

That old '53 Pontiac Chieftain with the flat-head 8 I once had was a monster.......fun to drive, less fun to fuel up. Still ain't figured out how that big hole appeared in the side of the engine block though.

Mine was same color as this all over; except top was white. Hood ornament was the old Chief's head and had a light in it....

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Opps! I posted the wrong photo of my old Pontiac!

What I had was a '52, not a 53. I did once own a '53 Buick though, that had a similar body style as in the first photo.
Got the two confused; but I guess that can be allowed since it was almost 50 years ago since I owned it.

Mine was this color with a white top, no sun shield.

Note the orange head of the hood ornament....that had a light in it. Image

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Me thinketh she sniffeths too much exhaust fumeths......

Woman Describes her Love For Monster Trucks

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:Cars I've owned and enjoyed...

at about 30,000 lives saved per year due to safety regulations, some might disagree with your nader assessment, but then 1 person with 1 corvair for a couple of years, should be able to counter the overwhelming evidence of the fun but disastrous car (remember when the repugs were claiming that mandatory seatbelts whould destroy the auto industry and put the cost of cars above what the consumer could pay

I'll never forget the wreck we saw going to grandma's house as a 15 year old. We were 2nd on the scene and had to wait for a couple of hours before the road was cleared - never new exactly what caused the wreak, but the (rear engine) corvair engine went through the passenger compartment, exited through the front hood/bumper area and came to rest about 80 feet from the vehicle. the bodies pieces were scattered in the area between the car and the engine.

we don't need no fricking regulations
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

My problem with Nader's book isn't his data. It's that his book was based on the '59 model, and by the time the book came out, the Corvair was a much different car. "Unsafe at Any Speed" just wasn't an applicable term for the '61's and later.