The car thread ...

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The car thread ...

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:11 am
Oh you're familiar with that sleek pile of trainwreck, eh? Actually that's why Lady O v.1 (the "starter wife") was driving it. Her dad had it and started to hate it because it was so unreliable. She thought it was soooo cool, so "oh please dad, let me have it..." Among other incidents, it damn near got her killed on a railroad track.
Evil Jag evil.

O Really wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:16 am
The Dauphine's were pretty cool - the 4CV's too. I would have traded the Metropolitan for either of those.
It was a fine car as far as I knew, but I was only 11 or 12 when it got traded in for the R16.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I remember my dad having one of those 56 Fords; it was that light blue all over, four door, plain. I remember a 59 Mercury of the same color and then a 63 Ford Galaxie. None of the cars after that were anything but anodyne and best forgotten. My first car was a 65 VW. Paid $500 for it.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:40 am
I remember my dad having one of those 56 Fords; it was that light blue all over, four door, plain. I remember a 59 Mercury of the same color and then a 63 Ford Galaxie. None of the cars after that were anything but anodyne and best forgotten. My first car was a 65 VW. Paid $500 for it.
The mid-50's Ford V-8, particularly with dual exhaust and glass packs, has a very distinct sound.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:53 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:40 am
The mid-50's Ford V-8, particularly with dual exhaust and glass packs, has a very distinct sound.
Dad's was a V8 (289) I think but I don't think it had dual exhaust. It was a sedan.

O Really
Admiral

So during my senior year in college, I had an opportunity to get an Austin-Healey 3000, like the one below. I loved that car, and drove it through the school year and the following summer and then when I went into the Air Force as long as I was in the states. When I left for Greece, I left the car with my car-loving Pop, who was supposed to take it out now and then just to keep the oil flowing, the tires up and the battery charged. Well Pop started driving it around on the reg, and one day he hit a black ice patch coming off the beltway at the BW Parkway. Cleaned off the guard rail on one side, spun, cleaned off the guard rail on the other side, bounced, and ended up with only a couple of cracked ribs and a Healey that looked like a green crumpled beer can. There was no internet then, nor really easy to do international calls, so I found out when he sent me a pic. And that after keeping me out of his cars most of the time.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:12 am
So during my senior year in college, I had an opportunity to get an Austin-Healey 3000, like the one below. I loved that car, and drove it through the school year and the following summer and then when I went into the Air Force as long as I was in the states. When I left for Greece, I left the car with my car-loving Pop, who was supposed to take it out now and then just to keep the oil flowing, the tires up and the battery charged. Well Pop started driving it around on the reg, and one day he hit a black ice patch coming off the beltway at the BW Parkway. Cleaned off the guard rail on one side, spun, cleaned off the guard rail on the other side, bounced, and ended up with only a couple of cracked ribs and a Healey that looked like a green crumpled beer can. There was no internet then, nor really easy to do international calls, so I found out when he sent me a pic. And that after keeping me out of his cars most of the time.

Major bummer. Sweet car. He didn't replace it? Insurance?

I don't recall you ever saying you served.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:12 am

I bought a real fixer upper for $25.00. For all I know it's still where I left it.
In my dreams it was gonna be beautiful.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:18 am

Major bummer. Sweet car. He didn't replace it? Insurance?

I don't recall you ever saying you served.
Yeah, there was insurance, and on my way back from Greece, I got the MG-B (new) that I've posted before.
"Serving" may be a bit of an exaggeration. I was in Security, now called the "Air Force Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Agency", or your garden variety electronic spy business. We weren't very military, and had there been any significant trouble would have been extracted just ahead of the women and children. It was a good job that included travel to a lot of nice places and good educational benefits that I took advantage of, but I'd feel guilty to claim some vaunted "veteran" status and have little kids salute me in a bemedaled hat.

Not me...

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:23 am

I bought a real fixer upper for $25.00. For all I know it's still where I left it.
In my dreams it was gonna be beautiful.
Well nobody ever bought a British sports car for its reliability, did they?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

This is pretty cool. A 57 Fairlane 500 Skyliner that came with a supercharged 312 V8. I'd never even heard of this before.
https://www.yahoo.com/autos/1957-ford-f ... 00378.html

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:26 pm
This is pretty cool. A 57 Fairlane 500 Skyliner that came with a supercharged 312 V8. I'd never even heard of this before.
Yeah, in all the whoopdedoo over the '57 Chevys, the '57 Fords sometimes get overlooked, but they - and especially the Skyliner - were totally cool. Didn't know about this big-motor beast model before, though.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Soon to be a Chevy truck commercial:
Watch an older GM pickup two-step with a Texas twister
Any landing you can walk (or drive) away from ...

... Fortunately for the driver, it eventually landed right-side up and still running, allowing for an escape.

According to the above twitter thread, the Chevy was driven by a teenager who walked away with only bumps and scrapes — and likely a newfound respect for both the power of nature and the wonders of modern(ish) automotive engineering.
:shock:

Hah! Great minds:
Chevy better advertise off of this
Like a rock
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

We had a 57 Ford Fairlane. albeit a 4 door sedan. It still had a lot of the same finishing details as the 2 doors.

It lasted only a 3-4 years before it got crumpled.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:32 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:26 pm
Yeah, in all the whoopdedoo over the '57 Chevys, the '57 Fords sometimes get overlooked, but they - and especially the Skyliner - were totally cool. Didn't know about this big-motor beast model before, though.

Sweet!
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

How many of you Rebs do the "Carolina Squat"?

Virginia Is The Latest State To Ban The Carolina Squat
Carolina squat trucks have come under fire recently, for such reasons as “causing fatal accidents” and “being extremely dumb.” After their ban in North Carolina, neighboring Virginia is now getting in on the action by banning any vehicles modded in the squat style.

The ban, part of state law SB 777, takes aim at a host of suspension modifications in order to limit how much a car’s front end can stick up. There are a number of limits on overall height, with some even varying based on a vehicle’s Gross vehicle Weight Rating, but the core of the bill is this:

No passenger car or pickup or panel truck shall be operated on a public highway if the suspension, frame, or chassis has been modified by any means so as to cause the height of the front bumper to be four or more inches greater than the height of the rear bumper.

O Really
Admiral

That's just another functionless modification like cambering or super jacking that creates a useless money hole.

The one pictured above isn't even an extreme example, such as...

I'm more of a performance person - if it doesn't help the car run better, handle better, run faster, yada, it's worthless.

O Really
Admiral

For anyone who may not be familiar with the ridiculous practice of cambering...

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:04 pm
For anyone who may not be familiar with the ridiculous practice of cambering...

I did that my kid's cub scout Pinewood Derby car. It was faster than any other car there, but sadly on the last race it went airborne and off the track - disqualified.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:24 pm
(signature: obsessed butthurt :crybaby: )
Awww. :violin: , Useless. So much for "Ignored". You fail again. Plus, Useless, you've been busted too many times for anyone to believe you're not reading my posts, anyhow. It's just your excuse for cowering. Awww.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Ignored
Ignored