The car thread ...

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
mike
Lieutenant Colonel

The car thread ...

Unread post by mike »

We all have to drive them, at times.
I'd rather bike or walk - not always doable given a particular distance - but I offer this as a start.
Much to see here and much to consider:

What are your thoughts?
I still have an old BMW V-12 - not for everyday use but it used to be - that gets 15 MPG if I'm lucky (it does get 21 MPG on the highway, however).
Yeah, I feel bad about that ... sorta ...

Let's talk about cars! :D

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: The car thread ...

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I confess to not watching the entire video, but I did see a show recently about some outrageous Bugatti car that will go well over 200mph. A set of tires for it cost $10,000 and are specially fabricated in France by Michelin. I myself drive a 99 Camaro with the LS1 engine; it's fun to drive and gets about 23.5 mpg on the interstate in 6th gear. But it will also do the spinning, smoking rear tire trick should the need arise. However, I would be perfectly fine with public transportation if it were more easily available, or even one of those little scooters if everybody drove them or if there were a designated lane for them.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Image Image

Hers and His

:mrgreen:

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Mr.B wrote:Image
I love that model, too bad ford screwed it up and went all roundy face. My ride is it's smaller brother. Nothing exciting here either.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Vrede wrote:
Wneglia wrote:(Lexus pics)

Hers and His
He also has:

Maybe we can set up a race with neoplacebo.
Thanks to Timm Kurtz my ride is a lot fancier:

Image Image Image

bannination
Captain

Love the logo on the front Wneglia!

:-)

Even if it was the work of Timm..... LOL

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I drove Bimmers for years, going back to 2002's, 3.0 cs, 320is, 535, but the toys got too big for the cars. Land Rover rules!

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

bannination wrote: "I love that model, too bad ford screwed it up and went all roundy face. My ride is it's smaller brother. Nothing exciting here either."
My 1990 F150 Ford truck looked like that originally, except it has sport wheels. The grill faded badly, so I painted it flat black. It now has only 65,000 miles, and still runs like a champ, although it ain't no gas king! You may see me occasionally around town; I have a black and yellow 'EHS' tag on the front, sans the camper cover.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede wrote:
bannination wrote: "...Even if it was the work of Timm....." LOL
"You gotta problem with Timm's art work?" ;)
Kinda miss 'ol Timm; is he still around? I read where his father passed away a few months ago. Someone should put him onto this forum.

Hey Doc.....that last photo angle makes it appear your 'cycle has a joystick. :lol:

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Mr.B wrote:
Vrede wrote:
bannination wrote: "...Even if it was the work of Timm....." LOL
"You gotta problem with Timm's art work?" ;)
Kinda miss 'ol Timm; is he still around? I read where his father passed away a few months ago. Someone should put him onto this forum.

Hey Doc.....that last photo angle makes it appear your 'cycle has a joystick. :lol:
It does look like a joystick at that angle. It is looking straight at the instrument cluster on the left handle which controls the lights, thumb shifter, horn, radio, ipod, etc.

I gave Timm a good deal of freedom in the artwork. I basically wanted some pinstripes, and it turned into a much larger project. I was totally blown away with the front cadeusus which we had not discussed. After getting over the initial surprise (or shock), I have been pleased with the outcome.

Timm knows about this forum, and I have invited him to participate. He has been quite busy substitute teaching in H'ville, doing many projects other than art, and helping out with his brother who has cerebral palsy and needed surgery this year. He also is adjusting to his father's recent passing.

bannination
Captain

Vrede wrote:He's abandoned his old web page, timmkurtz.com. I used to send the occasional "Vrede" message through that. He is on several social networks that I'm not going to join. If anyone else already is a member . . .

http://www.goodsearch.com/search-web?ut ... rtz&page=1

So.... tempted.... to... buy... that.... domain......

blahahhaa :twisted:

I can't believe you don't want to sign up for all those NSA social networks. -0-?

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Vrede wrote:
Wneglia wrote:...I gave Timm a good deal of freedom in the artwork. I basically wanted some pinstripes, and it turned into a much larger project. I was totally blown away with the front cadeusus which we had not discussed. After getting over the initial surprise (or shock), I have been pleased with the outcome...
So, Timm knew what you wanted better than you did, who would have guessed? ;) Please pass on my sympathy for his troubles.

I'm glad for you he turned out to be right. Just don't hit anybody - getting splattered on a caduceus would make national "Odd News" for sure.
I wanted the colors to complement the faux wood panels I installed to dress up the dash, and he picked well. Here is one more picture of the dash before the paint job:

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

A couple of years ago, Dodge put one of their V-10 Viper engines on a motorcycle frame. Not sure if anyone ever rode it, though :shock:

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I've ridden in a Viper and all I remember about it was telling the guy driving it to slow down. That cycle must be even worse. :shock:
Oh, I also remember the thing was blue with a big white stripe down the middle of it.
Last edited by neoplacebo on Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:Cool.

Vrede, man! Somebody doesn't like hotlinking :(.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote: :?: I can see the pic, watch the video and follow the quote/link to the article. Can't you?
Can do.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Looks like it has six brakes; two on each side up front and one each in back. Wonder if that's enough?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede wrote:If it had a roll bar hitting those 4 front brakes would make for some really cool flips.
On this thing, you could do front flips with the brakes and backflips with the throttle. :)

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I wonder how many of those nine are still operable and how many folks have been injured. I also figure this is probably a good investment since they're not likely to make any more of them. I keep mine in a storage unit on Asheville Highway. :D