Traveling

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Traveling

Unread post by O Really »

We went to the battlefield three years ago, but didn't get a reenactment. I think we're in Billings that week, so we'll definitely try to go. Thanks much!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:18 pm
We went to the battlefield three years ago, but didn't get a reenactment. I think we're in Billings that week, so we'll definitely try to go. Thanks much!
Cool, be sure to let me know.

Red Lodge, Montana is a nice town and the nearby Beartooth Mountains including "Granite Peak, which at 12,807 feet (3,904 m) is the highest point in the state of Montana," are spectacular. Granite is a backpack, but other parts of the Beartooths are accessible by car.

The Yellowstone River is America's longest undammed river. There are many rec areas. Upstream from Laurel/Billings is best.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Canada prepares to ease quarantine rules for vaccinated travelers - Bloomberg

Just in time?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:01 am
O Really wrote:
Canada prepares to ease quarantine rules for vaccinated travelers - Bloomberg

Just in time?
Not really. There's still provincial restrictions and most places to stay are either full of people, many of whom would have gone to the states if they could get in, or they're not taking reservations out of province because of the uncertainty of restrictions. We couldn't get in anywhere around Drumheller (dinosaur land), knew getting into Banff was hopeless since we already missed the reservation window, so we thought about staying in Cochrane and day-tripping Banff. Nope. The ferries aren't running to Victoria, and there never were a lot places to stay around Vancouver, but prices kept them available. No more. Lady O wants to go to Yellowknife. 800 miles of nothing north of Edmonton doesn't sound appealing to me.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Bummer. Next year.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Well, Wyoming so far has been better than I thought it might be. Lots of western historical places, not much crowding (duh), but I don't think today is what Lady O had in mind when she wanted to cruise Wyoming. Temp 93, sustained wind 35 with 60mph gusts, blowing dust, humidity 7%. Yeah, we're staying inside.

But Casper is where the Oregon, Mormon, and California trails all passed through, and you can take a authentic replica wagon ride along the original trail. There are even 3-5 day trips in covered wagons out and back, with authentic replica overnights. Good place to be reminded of Brewer and Shipley, Song of Platte River

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:41 pm
Well, Wyoming so far has been better than I thought it might be. Lots of western historical places, not much crowding (duh), but I don't think today is what Lady O had in mind when she wanted to cruise Wyoming. Temp 93, sustained wind 35 with 60mph gusts, blowing dust, humidity 7%. Yeah, we're staying inside.

But Casper is where the Oregon, Mormon, and California trails all passed through, and you can take a authentic replica wagon ride along the original trail. There are even 3-5 day trips in covered wagons out and back, with authentic replica overnights. Good place to be reminded of Brewer and Shipley, Song of Platte River
Laramie is a bastion of education and liberalism, pretty much the only one. Devil's Tower is not to be missed if you've never been.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

So after a bit of teeth-gnashing over how it is that the 550,000 residents of the state of Wyoming get the same number of US Senators that 39 million Californians get, I wondered how in hell do a half million people support a whole state? Turns out, they don't. At one point, 70% of Wyoming revenue came from taxes and income on mining and oil production, now down to between 50-60%. Bottom line, they may or may not know it, but the state is in deep shit. People here hate taxes, and don't have an income tax. Sales and property taxes are about the same as other states around, and the population only grew by about 13,000 people in the last decade. Young people are bailing, and the only people coming in are wealthy celebrity types who buy up a bunch of land but contribute little to the economy. So with fossil fuel and mining income going down, and a reluctance to increase tax on residents, they've got a problem. Maybe Liz can fix it.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

At some point they will realize that they've been voting against their own interests but by then they will only have their guns and pickup trucks and be left with nothing but relentless masturbation.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:23 pm
... Maybe Liz can fix it.
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:12 am
At some point they will realize that they've been voting against their own interests but by then they will only have their guns and pickup trucks and be left with nothing but relentless masturbation.
Liz can fix that.

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
I don't know that they've been voting against their own interests so much here as in a lot of other places. The state's entire economy base has always been mining, oil, big agriculture, and some tourism. So it may be short-sighted, but it's clearly in their interests not to inflict a lot of restriction on those industries. So if there are two candidates, one of whom says "go more green" and the other says "drill baby drill," they've got little choice. And there isn't an easy alternative. With so few people and so much land area, what are they going to do when oil and mining no longer pays the bills?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:52 am
O Really wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:23 pm
... Maybe Liz can fix it.
neoplacebo wrote:
Liz can fix that.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:59 am
neoplacebo wrote:
I don't know that they've been voting against their own interests so much here as in a lot of other places. The state's entire economy base has always been mining, oil, big agriculture, and some tourism. So it may be short-sighted, but it's clearly in their interests not to inflict a lot of restriction on those industries. So if there are two candidates, one of whom says "go more green" and the other says "drill baby drill," they've got little choice. And there isn't an easy alternative. With so few people and so much land area, what are they going to do when oil and mining no longer pays the bills?
I was alluding to the fact that you posted that those folks get a lot more money from the federal government than they send to it. Yet they detest the federal government, and probably the state one as well. What are they going to do when the oil and gas and copper money runs out? See above. Or I suppose they could dress up as wildlife and cavort around for the amusement of the rich out of state greedheads that they will depend on for their survival. And relentless masturbation.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:41 pm
Well, Wyoming so far has been better than I thought it might be. Lots of western historical places, not much crowding (duh), but I don't think today is what Lady O had in mind when she wanted to cruise Wyoming. Temp 93, sustained wind 35 with 60mph gusts, blowing dust, humidity 7%. Yeah, we're staying inside....
U.S. likely claims hottest place on Earth as heat tightens grip on more than 100 million

On Tuesday, Death Valley, California, climbed to 124 degrees, making it not only the hottest spot in the United States but also likely one of the hottest, if not the hottest, locations in the world.

Wednesday was forecast to only get hotter, with Death Valley predicted to soar to a blistering 128 degrees.

With temperatures rising to 10 to 30 degrees above average, dozens of records were demolished Tuesday across Wyoming, Utah, South Dakota, Nevada, Arizona and Southern California. Casper, Wyoming, broke its previous record high of 93 by a full 9 degrees. Many other Western cities saw similar, even more extreme events: Billings, Montana, shattered its daily record by 10 degrees (new record: 108), and Chula Vista, California, smashed its record by a whopping 13 whole degrees (new record: 89).

All-time record temperatures were tied on Tuesday in Billings at 108 degrees, Salt Lake City at 107 and Cheyenne, Wyoming, at 94....
Ugh, sorry for you. I've seen snow in Montana/Wyoming in June, albeit in Yellowstone.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:12 pm

All-time record temperatures were tied on Tuesday in Billings at 108 degrees, Salt Lake City at 107 and Cheyenne, Wyoming, at 94....
Ugh, sorry for you. I've seen snow in Montana/Wyoming in June, albeit in Yellowstone.
[/quote]

We escaped Casper just before their record, but it was about the same when we got here to Thermopolis. Today is a little better, tomorrow "only" 92. The locals are whining.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:45 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:12 pm

We escaped Casper just before their record, but it was about the same when we got here to Thermopolis. Today is a little better, tomorrow "only" 92. The locals are whining.
What did you expect in THERMopolis? :P

The Bighorn Mountains were my favorite escape when I was living in Gillette.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:55 pm

What did you expect in THERMopolis? :P

The Bighorn Mountains were my favorite escape when I was living in Gillette.
THERMal springs?
But yeah, it's hot. I'm probably one of the most heat tolerant people you'll ever meet and even I know it's hot. And dry, 8% humidity. And dusty. And now an air quality alert for fires in the mountains. But we're accommodating. We're going to the Dinosaur museum and out to the dig. Museum is indoors and the dig is at least shaded. And rafting down the Wind River Canyon. Maybe a road trip up to Cody.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:14 pm
THERMal springs?
But yeah, it's hot. I'm probably one of the most heat tolerant people you'll ever meet and even I know it's hot. And dry, 8% humidity. And dusty. And now an air quality alert for fires in the mountains. But we're accommodating. We're going to the Dinosaur museum and out to the dig. Museum is indoors and the dig is at least shaded. And rafting down the Wind River Canyon. Maybe a road trip up to Cody.
:D Yeah, I know about the springs, though I never visited since I was always there in warm weather. I was just making a joke. Bummer, fires in the southern Bighorns and all south of you.
https://www.fireweatheravalanche.org/fire/state/wyoming
(It's easiest to search "Thermopolis" upper left and then select your scale from there)

The Wind River Canyon looks beautiful!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_River_Canyon
Images

The Wind River Range and Absarokas are both fantastic if you seek altitude rather than Cody.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Wind River Canyon is spectacular. We drove through it on the way up from Casper. The cliffs are over 2,000 feet high, and through the canyon they have (small, inoffensive) signs providing information about the type and age of the formations you're looking at.

Usually, you can recognize when you're on an Indian reservation because it's the sorriest most barren land around. The Wind River Tribe got the good stuff. Obviously whoever signed off on their reservation hadn't actually been to or seen the area.

O Really
Admiral

So if we're staying at some smallish place, we try to stock up provisions ahead of time to avoid paying $5.00 a half gallon for milk or $1 bananas. But Thermopolis has a "real" grocery store, not a chain, but a nice independent local store. We still expected to get hosed for the few items we needed, but I found prices ranged from good ($1.00 broccoli, $1.99 milk) to average (.69 bananas) to exhorbitant ($6.79 for 4 avocados! - we didn't buy any).
Otherwise, it seemed to be a typical Wyoming store - groceries, pharmacy, household goods, and guns. Yep, guns on sale at the grocery.

And it's not a park where we're staying, but here's the first one we've seen with its own firearms store.