College basketball

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: College basketball

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Zion is going to be required to testify about all improper benefits that he and his family received.

ut-oh
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Sorry, billy.p - looks like your Tigers/Plainsmen/WarEagles may be in trouble.
NCAA shows it’s out for blood in college hoops

At long last, nearly three years after the FBI started poking around in the underground business that fuels college basketball, we’re starting to see some accountability from the NCAA.

And if the early returns are any indication, the NCAA is done messing around.

The penalties levied against Oklahoma State on Friday were fairly severe: A postseason ban for 2020-21, three years of probation, loss of a scholarship for three years and other various recruiting restrictions.

Given the details of the case, which involved former assistant Lamont Evans taking between $18,150 and $22,000 in bribes to steer athletes toward financial advisers, a postseason ban was surprising.

But the more interesting discussion is what that punishment portends for others who are waiting for their number to be called in the NCAA’s infractions process.

We’re talking about schools like Southern Cal and Auburn, where the situation with former assistant Chuck Person looks similar, and obviously schools like Louisville, LSU, Arizona and Kansas where the underlying infractions are likely far more expansive than what Oklahoma State is dealing with.

Oklahoma State, of course, is going to both appeal the sanctions and play the public outrage card.

The school issued a statement saying they’re “stunned by the severity of the penalties” and calling the ruling “an arbitrary decision … applied to the institution for the egregious actions committed by a former coach that did not result in any benefit for the University.'

And maybe that’s true, to a certain extent. Evans, the former assistant, is long gone from the program. He wasn’t buying players, he was wheeling and dealing to profit for himself. And by getting hit with a postseason ban now, Oklahoma State’s one season with incoming recruit Cade Cunningham, who has a chance to be the No. 1 overall NBA draft pick in 2021, is likely ruined. You can understand how the school and its fans might view that penalty as very unfair.

But if you care at all about the best interests of college basketball, you can’t have it both ways this time. Either you want the NCAA to make a legitimate attempt to clean up the sport, which may include some really tough penalties, or what’s the point of even trying?

The NCAA has no choice here.

While the FBI investigation was largely a waste of government money and resources – after all the bluster, only a couple of shoe company executives and anonymous assistant coaches got popped – it exposed college basketball as a laughably corrupt enterprise in which Hall of Fame coaches like Bill Self have to rely on relationships with bag men and agent wannabes to help get them players.

College basketball is exactly as slimy as lots of us thought it was, and the only way to even start fixing it is by making some of the penalties so severe that coaches reassess the risk-reward equation that has long suggested that cheating pays.

Oklahoma State was only accused of one Level 1 violation, yet that didn’t save their 2020-21 season Friday. Kansas, by contrast, has been accused of three Level 1 violations in men’s basketball and a head coach responsibility charge against Self.

LSU’s inevitable Notice of Allegations, which could include some incriminating wiretaps of head coach Will Wade, hasn’t arrived. Auburn has refused to say one way or the other whether theirs is in hand. Arizona is still bracing for impact.

Based on the precedent set Friday, they should all be very concerned.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:08 pm
Sorry, billy.p - looks like your Tigers/Plainsmen/WarEagles may be in trouble.
NCAA shows it’s out for blood in college hoops

At long last, nearly three years after the FBI started poking around in the underground business that fuels college basketball, we’re starting to see some accountability from the NCAA.

And if the early returns are any indication, the NCAA is done messing around.

The penalties levied against Oklahoma State on Friday were fairly severe: A postseason ban for 2020-21, three years of probation, loss of a scholarship for three years and other various recruiting restrictions.

Given the details of the case, which involved former assistant Lamont Evans taking between $18,150 and $22,000 in bribes to steer athletes toward financial advisers, a postseason ban was surprising.

But the more interesting discussion is what that punishment portends for others who are waiting for their number to be called in the NCAA’s infractions process.

We’re talking about schools like Southern Cal and Auburn, where the situation with former assistant Chuck Person looks similar, and obviously schools like Louisville, LSU, Arizona and Kansas where the underlying infractions are likely far more expansive than what Oklahoma State is dealing with.

Oklahoma State, of course, is going to both appeal the sanctions and play the public outrage card.

The school issued a statement saying they’re “stunned by the severity of the penalties” and calling the ruling “an arbitrary decision … applied to the institution for the egregious actions committed by a former coach that did not result in any benefit for the University.'

And maybe that’s true, to a certain extent. Evans, the former assistant, is long gone from the program. He wasn’t buying players, he was wheeling and dealing to profit for himself. And by getting hit with a postseason ban now, Oklahoma State’s one season with incoming recruit Cade Cunningham, who has a chance to be the No. 1 overall NBA draft pick in 2021, is likely ruined. You can understand how the school and its fans might view that penalty as very unfair.

But if you care at all about the best interests of college basketball, you can’t have it both ways this time. Either you want the NCAA to make a legitimate attempt to clean up the sport, which may include some really tough penalties, or what’s the point of even trying?

The NCAA has no choice here.

While the FBI investigation was largely a waste of government money and resources – after all the bluster, only a couple of shoe company executives and anonymous assistant coaches got popped – it exposed college basketball as a laughably corrupt enterprise in which Hall of Fame coaches like Bill Self have to rely on relationships with bag men and agent wannabes to help get them players.

College basketball is exactly as slimy as lots of us thought it was, and the only way to even start fixing it is by making some of the penalties so severe that coaches reassess the risk-reward equation that has long suggested that cheating pays.

Oklahoma State was only accused of one Level 1 violation, yet that didn’t save their 2020-21 season Friday. Kansas, by contrast, has been accused of three Level 1 violations in men’s basketball and a head coach responsibility charge against Self.

LSU’s inevitable Notice of Allegations, which could include some incriminating wiretaps of head coach Will Wade, hasn’t arrived. Auburn has refused to say one way or the other whether theirs is in hand. Arizona is still bracing for impact.

Based on the precedent set Friday, they should all be very concerned.

Could be something new, but I think we already paid the price for what one assistant coach did.

The ncaa often moves in mysterious ways.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: kinda College kinda pro basketball

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Baske ... ament_2020

I'm not completely understanding the names here. I've been told that the 8 #1 seeds have been selected but that all. The other 24 teams will be announced on Tuesday, but wiki is already listing some of them.

Still, it's basketball

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: kinda College kinda pro basketball

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:44 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Baske ... ament_2020

I'm not completely understanding the names here. I've been told that the 8 #1 seeds have been selected but that all. The other 24 teams will be announced on Tuesday, but wiki is already listing some of them.

Still, it's basketball
Teams to be announced in 20 minutes

https://www.thetournament.com/

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... am-bracket

If my team wins its first game, we go on to play the #1 seed returning champion - probably not an enviable position.

Still, it's basketball

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

120+ players + refs + coaches + media + ancillary staff - What's the over/under on subsequent CV-19 infections?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:35 pm

If my team wins its first game, we go on to play the #1 seed returning champion - probably not an enviable position.

Still, it's basketball
I take it we're for "War Tampa"?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:00 pm
Go lucky:
No. 13 seed: Team CP3

After reaching the Greensboro Regional Final in 2019, Chris Paul's squad returns, with the majority of his roster consisting of former members of the point guard's AAU program. UNC's Kennedy Meeks and P.J. Hairston join Maryland's Dez Wells as Team CP3 tries to exceed expectations in its second year in TBT.
No:
No. 18 seed: Power of the Paw (Clemson alumni)
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Still, it's basketball
Yep, WDT

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:28 pm
O Really wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Still, it's basketball
Yep, WDT
On ESPN - 1st game Saturday 2 central

Auburn/florida team War Tampa plays at 7

Only 100 people allowed into the arena, all must wear masks or will be walked out.

Look for your team.

My kid is one of the 100, still, this will never make up for losing his chance to be there for the Final Four

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:14 pm
... My kid is one of the 100, still, this will never make up for losing his chance to be there for the Final Four
Maybe he'll feel better if he pretends he's covering a PINO rally. ;)
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:24 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:14 pm
... My kid is one of the 100, still, this will never make up for losing his chance to be there for the Final Four
Maybe he'll feel better if he pretends he's covering a PINO rally. ;)
it looks safer than walking the sidewalk or carefully grocery shopping.

100 people in a basketball arena - they can easily be 10 or 20 feet away from others

Edit: wrong game. He's going to a major AA tournament tomorrow. Only 100 people including players, refs and fans allowed in at the same time.

The Saturday game is in Ohio or somewhere.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Thanks. My #13 CP3 gets a couple of long shot mentions. I didn't see any citations in the first two articles for #18 Power of the Paw (Clemson alumni) :thumbup: or #17 War Damn Tampa :( .
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

War Tampa went one and done

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:29 am
War Tampa went one and done
:(

No. 13 Team CP3 (UNC, UMd alumni) 76, No. 20 PrimeTime Players 74 :thumbup:
Monday, July 6
No. 4 Golden Eagles (Marquette alumni) vs. Team CP3, 9 p.m. ET (ESPN)

Not sure why a #13 gets to play a #20 in the 1st game, but I'll take it.
Edit: There are 8 byes, that explains it.

TBT 2020 bracket, schedule, results, tip times, TV info
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Sunday, July 5
No. 15 Armored Athlete 98, No. 18 Power of the Paw (Clemson alumni) 91

One and done.
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Monday, July 6

No. 4 Golden Eagles (Marquette alumni) 76, #13 Team CP3 (UNC, UMd alumni) 67

Two and done. :(
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.