Progress and other good Coronavirus news

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Progress and other good Coronavirus news

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:57 pm
I have plenty of baggies, plenty of baking soda, and have not seen a doctor or nurse in nearly ten years if I don't count you. :)
You never showed me any cocaine, real or fake. :x
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2494&p=118610#p118610
Vrede too wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:38 pm

Nice. :thumbup:
President George W. Bush is correct, we are a resourceful and giving people.

Drive-Thru Strip Club Serves Up Sexy (And Safe) Solution For Coronavirus Blues

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Been done. Cruiser's Bar and Grill, State Line, ID. Biker place, mostly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:11 pm
Been done. Cruiser's Bar and Grill, State Line, ID. Biker place, mostly.

How was it? What did Lady O think? ;)

Aside: I was in a literal riot at Stateline, ID in the late 1970s. Festival type rock concert at an auto racetrack, cancelled after the first night. Folks went nuts in the morning - crew trailers burned, cars and even a semi cab racing around the track. Cops wisely stayed away until that night or the next morning, I can't remember which. I didn't destroy anything, but it sure was something to watch, even bleachers for doing so.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Sounds like a trump rally decades before its time.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:37 pm

How was it? What did Lady O think? ;)

She didn't go. I rode along with the son-in-law in his showcar Corvette ZR-1 on a "cruisin' ride" as part of the Good Guys show. Probably about 50 cars - restorations, hotrods, rat rods, customs, lots of variety. The bar was one of the stops. And yes, of course everybody had to rev their huge engines going through. Barchicks were probably deaf, even if they weren't already from all the motorcycles.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:13 pm
She didn't go. I rode along with the son-in-law in his showcar Corvette ZR-1 on a "cruisin' ride" as part of the Good Guys show. Probably about 50 cars - restorations, hotrods, rat rods, customs, lots of variety. The bar was one of the stops. And yes, of course everybody had to rev their huge engines going through. Barchicks were probably deaf, even if they weren't already from all the motorcycles.
Is “rev their huge engines” a metaphor? :o ;)
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:12 am
O Really wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:13 pm
Is “rev their huge engines” a metaphor? :o ;)
Very likely, for some anyway. More the bikers, though, I think. Except this guy:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

https://www.dawn.com/news/1558243

"A Chinese laboratory has been developing a drug it believes has the power to bring the coronavirus pandemic to a halt."

"Planning for the clinical trial is underway," said Xie, adding it will be carried out in Australia and other countries since cases have dwindled in China, offering fewer human guinea pigs for testing."
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

'A Karen in the wild': More than $22,000 in donations pour in for a (San Diego) Starbucks employee who refused to serve a customer not wearing a face mask

The best part of this is that Amber Lynn “Karen” Gilles is the one that went public with her own humiliation, and that she’s made $22K+ for her target, lol.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Holy crap! $105,445 raised.
:---P
And, his name is Lenin Gutierrez.
:lol: Former Starbucks employee?

Is anyone else discovering that the face masks are sexy on some women?

Does this mean that I'm Muslim?
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:22 pm

Yeah, I've sort of noticed that a few times. If those women had also had one of those winged set of eye masks on a stick I might have been paralyzed and start turning to stone. :o

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:04 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:22 pm

Yeah, I've sort of noticed that a few times. If those women had also had one of those winged set of eye masks on a stick I might have been paralyzed and start turning to stone. :o
:thumbup:

Max Siedentopf suggests alternative masks to protect against coronavirus

One example:

Be sure to click on "More images" at the end of the article. One example:

:laughing-rolling:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Good coronavirus news, sort of

113-year-old Spanish woman becomes oldest person in world to recover from coronavirus

A 113-year-old Spanish woman is believed to have become the oldest person in the world to recover from coronavirus.

Maria Branyas, the oldest person in Spain, confirmed she had tested positive for Covid-19 last month despite showing no symptoms.

An update on her Twitter account, run by her daughter, on Friday announced the supercentenarian had overcome the disease.

Ms Branyas, who was born on 4 March 1907, thanked people for their well wishes in a further tweet on Tuesday.

However, the mother-of-three, who also lived through the Spanish flu pandemic, also used her message to criticise the treatment of elderly people during the coronavirus outbreak.

She said: “Thank you very much for your congratulations and encouragement, and although I would have preferred not to have to live this unfortunate situation of nonsense in the treatment of the elderly in the country, I thank you.

"And a lot of strength to all the grandmothers and grandparents who are still struggling.”

She continued: “It is very sad all that this pandemic has exposed. Older people do not deserve the forgetfulness they have received.

“They fought and sacrificed time and dreams for you to have an identity and a quality of life today.

“They don’t deserve to leave the world that way.”

Ms Branyas was born in San Francisco, in the United States, where her father had travelled for work, according to Spanish newspaper La Vanguardia.

She has 11 grandchildren and 11 great-grandchildren.

She currently lives at Santa Maria del Tura care home in the Catalonian city of Olot.

The home reportedly confirmed 17 coronavirus-related deaths among elderly residents last month, according to British expat newspaper The Olive Press.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Progress and other good coronavirus news

Is San Francisco on the verge of a herd immunity breakthrough? Experts are optimistic

... San Francisco and its suburbs have been cautious, maintaining various restrictions while other parts of the country reopened businesses and eased mask mandates....

Over the past seven days, San Francisco, home to more than 870,000 people, recorded an average of only 26 new Covid-19 cases per day. Two-thirds of all adults in San Francisco and almost 60 percent of the greater metro area of 4.7 million have been vaccinated with at least one dose — one of the highest rates in the U.S. Its positive test rate sits at 1.2 percent....

It's estimated that 70 percent to 85 percent of a city’s population will need to be immune to reach herd immunity, but that number can be a moving target. A better indication is if a city’s number of cases and hospitalizations fall to a low level and stay that way, even with few restrictions in place, said Dr. Monica Gandhi, an infectious disease physician and professor of medicine at the University of California, San Francisco.

San Francisco had the advantage of ramping up its vaccination campaign while cases, hospitalizations and daily deaths were already relatively low, which most likely accounts for much of the city’s success so far. This past winter, when much of the country was battling a devastating surge, San Francisco’s cases peaked on Jan. 4 with 560 reported infections. By comparison, Los Angeles recorded its peak on Dec. 26, with more than 29,000 new cases.

Vaccines can help bring those numbers down, but how quickly it happens depends largely on the situation on the ground. In places where cases are increasing, scientists have observed an inflection point with vaccinations, after which cases, hospitalizations and deaths start to fall dramatically.

“It appeared to be at the 40 to 50 percent first-dose rate,” Gandhi said. “After that, things started plummeting.”

There are currently 15 people hospitalized for Covid-19 in San Francisco, a figure that roughly works out to be less than 2 per 100,000 people....

In March 2020, San Francisco was the first city in the nation to issue a mandatory shelter-in-place order in response to the pandemic. And the city has maintained other stringent mitigation procedures that Colfax, San Francisco’s health director, said has helped the city “beat back three surges.”

Colfax also credited the widespread embrace of the city's public health interventions for that progress.

"This culture and support for public health, and infrastructure for public health, is deeply embedded in San Francisco, largely due to our response to the HIV/AIDS epidemic," he said. "That's ingrained in our cultural DNA." ...
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I'm okay with some class discrimination.

Forget Backstage Passes or VIP Bracelets. Vaccination Cards Are the New Ticket.

gyms
Dodgers Stadium
Madam’s Organ, a legendary blues bar in Washington, D.C.
Evite and Paperless Post
doughnuts, beers and cheesecake
Ohio $1 million lottery
private employers, restaurants and entertainment venues
sports, classes, haircuts, barbecue
eating in groups
baseball stadiums
Washington sporting venues and churches
Solidcore
The Bayou, a restaurant in Salt Lake City
... few dispute that it is legal. “Having dedicated spaces at events reserved for vaccinated people is both lawful and ethical,” said Lawrence O. Gostin, an expert in health law at Georgetown Law School. “Businesses have a major economic incentive to create safer environments for their customers, who would otherwise be reluctant to attend crowded events. Government recommendations about vaccinated-only sections will encourage businesses and can help us back to more normal.”
Duh.
... Norwegian Cruise Line is threatening to keep its ships out of Florida ports if the state stands by a law prohibiting businesses from requiring vaccines in exchange for services....

Duggan, the bar owner in Washington, said protecting his workers and patrons are of a piece. “As we hit a plateau with vaccines, I don’t think we can sit and wait for all the nonbelievers,” he said. “If we are going to convince them, it’s going to be through them not being able to do the things that vaccinated people are able to do.”
:clap:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Shunning has historically worked pretty well, too.
I'm usually happy to go with the carrot, but eventually you have to consider the stick.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 10:32 am
I'm usually happy to go with the carrot, but eventually you have to consider the stick.
What about a huge carrot that could be used as a club?

O Really
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 12:21 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 10:32 am
What about a huge carrot that could be used as a club?
I like it. Following the analogy - "If you get a vaccine, we'll give you a $500 bonus; if you don't, you can't work here."