Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

Sunday: The Simpsons episode #700!
:clap:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

HLN's How It Really Happened with Hill Harper is showing this 2 part doc every now and then:
Siegfried & Roy: The Tiger Attack (Part 1)
Siegfried & Roy: Dangerous Illusion (Part 2)

Well made. More interesting and infuriating than I expected.

Roy Horn never full recovered from the mauling. He died at the age of 75 on May 8, 2020 from COVID-19.
Siegfried Fischbacher died at the age of 81 on January 13, 2021 from pancreatic cancer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siegfried ... retirement

I root for the big cats.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Anyone been watching Stanley Tucci's Italy?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I've been watching Heidi Feliss's private webcam. She's really gone downhill. It's truly amazing how a deficit of money can take such a physical toll.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:57 pm
I've been watching Heidi Feliss's private webcam. She's really gone downhill. It's truly amazing how a deficit of money can take such a physical toll.
Talk about "gone downhill" - you're watching 55 year old Heidi Fleiss' private webcam. :P

Rolling Stone: Stories from the Edge (2017, HBO)

A look at 50 years of the iconic magazine features interviews with and footage of journalists, photographers and performers who have graced its pages since it was launched by publisher Jann Wenner in 1967.
Originally a 4-hour doc shown in 2 parts, AXSTV has been occasionally showing it as a six 1-hour series.

I like it. The doc tells our history in a unique way, the music is great and the Hunter S. Thompson segments are gold.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:13 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:57 pm
Talk about "gone downhill" - you're watching 55 year old Heidi Fleiss' private webcam. :P

Rolling Stone: Stories from the Edge (2017, HBO)

A look at 50 years of the iconic magazine features interviews with and footage of journalists, photographers and performers who have graced its pages since it was launched by publisher Jann Wenner in 1967.
Originally a 4-hour doc shown in 2 parts, AXSTV has been occasionally showing it as a six 1-hour series.

I like it. The doc tells our history in a unique way, the music is great and the Hunter S. Thompson segments are gold.
Cool. I've not seen the show but I do have a book that is only full page photos of all the covers of Rolling Stone. I remember when I got the book how it flashed me back to when I bought that particular issue when it was a bifold twice monthly "radical" manifesto.....I couldn't wait to get my hands on the next issue.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:43 pm
Cool. I've not seen the show but I do have a book that is only full page photos of all the covers of Rolling Stone. I remember when I got the book how it flashed me back to when I bought that particular issue when it was a bifold twice monthly "radical" manifesto.....I couldn't wait to get my hands on the next issue.
The covers get a lot of attention in the doc. Two that stand out for me.

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Red Bull (adult) Soapbox Race
26 episodes being shown on FS2. Curvy course with jumps and hazards.
Rules

The vehicles must have steering and braking capability. Teams are judged on both the time taken to complete the course, as well as creativity of their design and the showmanship of a performance at the start of the race, meaning the team with the fastest time is not necessarily the winner.

Reception

In 2007, the New York Times contrasted the creative nature of the Red Bull series adult based teams, with the traditional American view of youth based Soap Box Derby, where design options were limited. Reviewing the 2008 Belfast race, the News Letter related that it was "difficult to describe the quality of the lunacy on display" Reviewing the 2011 Los Angeles event, the Huffington Post described it as a piece of rare wholesome fun so rare in modern-day big cities, and through the various designs and teams it showed creativity and the human spirit, with flashes of great ingenuity and engineering, and capturing the zeitgeist....
:lol: :!:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Too much? BBC gets complaints over Prince Philip coverage

I can only imagine. I think it's been "Too much" here. Otoh, the death of the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman would be worthy of wall-to-wall celebratory coverage.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I don't think the US/Canada coverage has been "too much,'" but that's been far less than BBC. He's a big part of British culture and history, and certainly as much of a "celebrity" as a dead entertainer. But BBC should probably save some coverage for the Queen.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:48 pm
I don't think the US/Canada coverage has been "too much,'" but that's been far less than BBC. He's a big part of British culture and history, and certainly as much of a "celebrity" as a dead entertainer. But BBC should probably save some coverage for the Queen.
I've seen (and changed the channel from) far more about Prince Philip than I have about DMX. I'm no more a fan of hip hop than I am of British royalty, but I'd wager that DMX impacted far more Americans than Philip ever did.

Speaking of British royalty, is Meghan Markle's son, Archie Mountbatten-Windsor, an "anchor baby" for Montecito, California resident Prince Harry? :)
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

For example, right now:
The Real Prince Philip: A Royal Officer
6:00 PM EDT ON PBS • TV-PG • Stereo • CC

The life and achievements of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, including the role his military experiences played in his later achievements.

I won't hold my breath waiting for the prime time, hour long PBS special on DMX, not that I would watch it, either.

I finally stumbled on an unflattering piece:

Prince Philip had a long history of racist (sexist, generally offensive) and problematic language stretching back nearly 40 years

Examples:
... in 2002 he asked an aboriginal leader in Queensland: "Do you still throw spears at each other?"

... In 1988 he said: "I don't think a prostitute is more moral than a wife, but they are doing the same thing," ...

In 2002, he said "So who's on drugs here?... HE looks as if he's on drugs," while pointing to a 14-year-old member of a Bangladeshi youth club....
Ugh.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

DMX was not that big of a celebrity. Wait'll one of the Kardashians kick. Remember Michael Jackson?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:32 pm
DMX was not that big of a celebrity. Wait'll one of the Kardashians kick. Remember Michael Jackson?
Both Kim ( :o ) and Michael Jackson made better videos than Prince Philip ever did :D . Probably DMX, too, but I don't care enough to look him up.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
The whole thing is funny, but I guess the cat is now out of the bag that you and I are writing for SNL, 4:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H_ZdnvMJnE

:wave: Plus, I agree with the Blacks’ premise on the Chauvin trial - I’ve got a bad feeling about the outcome.

Also, partially stolen from SNL:
I was kinda pleased and proud that I got my first shot, but everyone is calling me 'half-vaxxed'.

Post-Dolt .45 SNL should be giving Frat some kickbacks:

Weekend Update: Matt Gaetz Venmo Sex Scandal - SNL

:lol:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

South Pacific tribe that worshiped Prince Philip as a living god plans to set up political movement

... Kirk Huffman, a British anthropologist who worked in Vanuatu for many years and is in contact with the people of Tanna, said it was hard to say when a funerary ceremony for Prince Philip would be held.

But the details will be thrashed out over endless cups of kava, a mildly narcotic drink resembling muddy water that is made from the crushed roots of a pepper plant....

... The prince's cult-like status received a boost when he paid a state visit to the New Hebrides in 1974 – six years before independence was granted to the Condominium, nicknamed “the Pandemonium” because of the confusing clash of French and British language, police forces, judicial systems and schools.

The prince was well aware of the belief in his divinity. He sent the islanders a signed, official photograph of himself, which became a prized possession among his followers.

In return the villagers sent him a traditional pig-slaughtering club called a nal-nal. He in turn sent back a photo of himself holding the club.

It is not just on Tanna that the Duke’s death has been met with sadness. People on Malakula, another island in Vanuatu, are also “very sad”, said Mr Huffman.

“The prince visited the island and took part in traditional rituals. They gave him titles and set up dolmen stone monoliths in his honour. In Vanuatu, if you want to solidify your position you have to take part in rituals and receive titles.” ...
It is known that DMX's "What These Bitches Want" and "Where the Hood At?" will be featured at the Tanna funeral.

"Number one big fella him bilong Misis Kwin (Queen)” is dead, long live "Number one big fella him bilong Misis Kwin"!
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

"Venmo reportedly used to pay women"

What - they don't pay women anymore? Be careful of tricky English grammar and passive voice.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:08 am
O Really wrote:
The whole thing is funny, but I guess the cat is now out of the bag that you and I are writing for SNL, 4:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H_ZdnvMJnE

:lol:
Funny thing about his weather report - in one of her segments, local NBC weather chick Dagmar Midcap actually paused while the video ran a few seconds of a robot type creature dancing on the beach. Then she said, "I had to make sure you were paying attention. I can only say "sunny and 70" so many times before you drift off." :lol:

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

This was pretty funny.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.