The Question Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by neoplacebo »

rstrong wrote:May I recommend a most excellent 2014 BBC series on the early Bible, the edits and the lost (and re-discovered) books of early Christianity:

YouTube: BBC Bible Hunters 1 of 2 The Search For Bible Truth

YouTube: BBC Bible Hunters 2 of 2 The Search For The Lost Gospels
Thanks; I watched the first one early this morning; those British sisters were pretty spunky.....I admire their tenacity in searching this out for their own and others benefit..... especially at the risk of being ostracized by the established church and the public as well. Can't help but wonder how many of the glass photographic plates they lost on the journey, too. Those things are as fragile as religious doctrine. :shock:

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Pick one and explain why:

1) Wu Tang Clan

2) Bill Cosby
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

O Really wrote:
Mr.B wrote: The cross represents Christ's suffering for our sins...

The empty tomb represents salvation and a new life.....
Clearly the cross represents suffering. But that's not the important part of the story. Anybody can take the rap for others. What makes him special is that he didn't stay dead. Seems like focusing on the murder is no different from worship of any other martyr. As far as written accounts go, only one martyr has risen. I'd think one would choose to celebrate the salvation and new life more than the suffering, but that's just me.
I always thought it was funny. Imagine Jesus actually coming back to earth.... and everyone is wearing the instrument of his murder on their necks......

I think he'd be like OMG WTF.

bannination
Captain

O Really wrote:Yes, but if the women found the tomb empty, there couldn't be any other possible reason other than resurrection, is there? I think not. It's not like there were grave robbers back then, or that anyone who knew or knew about Jesus would have any reason to tamper with the tomb. It had to be resurrection. It was probably a scene like Geraldo and Al Capones treasure cave.
Between the three different accounts, they can even agree it was a woman.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

bannination wrote:
O Really wrote:
Mr.B wrote: The cross represents Christ's suffering for our sins...

The empty tomb represents salvation and a new life.....
Clearly the cross represents suffering. But that's not the important part of the story. Anybody can take the rap for others. What makes him special is that he didn't stay dead. Seems like focusing on the murder is no different from worship of any other martyr. As far as written accounts go, only one martyr has risen. I'd think one would choose to celebrate the salvation and new life more than the suffering, but that's just me.
I always thought it was funny. Imagine Jesus actually coming back to earth.... and everyone is wearing the instrument of his murder on their necks......

I think he'd be like OMG WTF.
It could have already happened and he thought, again, "....they know not what they do" and just left.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Mr B, I'm in the market for a prepaid cell phone. What's the best and how much do minutes cost typically? I may be better off getting a no contract 35 dollar a month plan instead. Can't decide yet.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

JTA wrote:Mr B, I'm in the market for a prepaid cell phone. What's the best and how much do minutes cost typically? I may be better off getting a no contract 35 dollar a month plan instead. Can't decide yet.
Tracfone

I use TracFone, usually found at Dollar General, Walmart, and Kmart. DG usually has a better selection; Wally sells their own Straight Talk phones which are really TracFones, and they are monthly-fee type phones.

Look for the TracFones that offer double or triple minutes with their prepaid cards you buy.

This is how it works: You buy the phone; $9.95 and up. You buy a prepaid card from $19.95 t0 $99.95 which gives you 90 days of service and the X-amount of minutes on the card. You have to add minutes every 90 days regardless whether you've used all your minutes or not. Thereafter, minutes can be added directly to your phone without calling them or going online by using the menu in the phone.

They do have monthly contract phones as well; examine the phone package carefully.

I find it best to register my new phone online (tracfone.com) because then you don't have to give them your name; they only assign you a phone number and they select the carrier dependent on your zip code. All anyone can trace is your number. This is neat in case you are a terrorist or you want to make anonymous bomb threats. :wtf:

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede wrote:"Don't use a credit or debit card to pay for your minutes"
That's if you buy your minutes online. I buy and pay for my renewal minutes with cash at Walmart; they're discounted a few cents.

"Plus, an online registration captures your IP address, which is also the same as giving them your name."
That's where I use in-private browsing. Dunno if that works or not, but I don't receive their advertising emails.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

I'm torn between a tracphone and boost mobile, which is 35 bucks a month. Might just get the tracphone for now. I only need it for about a year, could probably make due with 360 minutes or so. How do text messages work?

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

JTA wrote:I'm torn between a tracphone and boost mobile, which is 35 bucks a month. Might just get the tracphone for now. I only need it for about a year, could probably make due with 360 minutes or so. How do text messages work?
No difference than with other phones; depending, of course, with what phone you buy.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Medical pros out there, how do I know I have strep throat and not the flu? I got a nasty cough, throat is killing me. Had fever the past 2.5 days which appears to be about gone. I believe this to be the flu. I don't really want to go to the doctors. I think I can just wait it out. I haven't had the flu since I was in high school.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:You don't without nasal and throat swabs. If it's the flu you've waited too long for Tamiflu to do you any good. If it's Strep an antibiotic will help, or you can tough it out and see if it resolves on its own due to it being viral or your body's defenses being adequate.

Flu seems more likely since your fever is resolving.

Fluids, rest, Tylenol and ibuprofen for pain or fever, salt water gargles (don't swallow, it'll make you throw up), throat spray or lozenges, frequent handwashing, avoid contact with others until the fever is completely gone.

I'm amazed that I don't have the flu yet, knock on wood. We've sure seen a lot of it and this year's vaccine (still worth getting) is supposedly only 30% effective.
Thanks man. thank god my neighbor is super cool. She went out and picked me up some supplies and left them on my doorstep. Had a fever of ~102.8 the other day, there was no way I was getting out.

This is the first time I've had it in a very long time. I'm definitely getting the flu shot next year even if it's only 30% effective. The saddest thing for me about having the flu is having to use my time off :(

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

JTA wrote:"Medical pros out there, how do I know I have strep throat and not the flu?"
Check your pulse. If you ain't got one, you're too late. You done dead.

(uhh...you did ask for a Medical Pro, didn't you?...I was one of them in my previous life too..... :D )

Seriously...hope you get well soon.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Mr.B wrote:
JTA wrote:"Medical pros out there, how do I know I have strep throat and not the flu?"
Check your pulse. If you ain't got one, you're too late. You done dead.

(uhh...you did ask for a Medical Pro, didn't you?...I was one of them in my previous life too..... :D )

Seriously...hope you get well soon.
I can't seem to locate my pulse. Does that mean I am dead? Maybe I ought to go to the hospital to get them to prescribe me some 7 up and chicken noodle soup to fix that.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

JTA..I hope you're feeling somewhat better....noticed you've not posted since Wednesday.

I must caught what you've got when I responded to your post; been sicker'n a junkyard dog since Tuesday night. No fever, just'a helluva cough, headache, short-winded, and leaking at the nostrils. The Mrs. put me outta our bed and into the spare bedroom....didn't know a body could cough so much.... all this schnootin', schnortin', and schnertin' I'm doing is beginning to make me understand the German language!

Later.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

In all my years of going into 8-10 different homes a day, it's a wonder I didn't contract every disease known to man.

Best I can recall, the worst I ever had to deal with was body lice I picked up in a home in Pisgah Forest. When I first entered the home, the first thing I noticed was how the kids, and the dogs, couldn't take three steps without having to stop and scratch. By the time I left, I couldn't take three steps without having to stop and scratch....I went straight home, stripped off my clothes at the door and hit the shower; that's when I discovered it was lice. I shaved every hair off'n my body that even dared to show itself, except for my head.

I cannot, for the life of me, understand how some people are comfortable living in filth. I have refused to go into homes crawling in cockroaches or piled up with garbage bags sitting everywhere. There's a difference in being poor and downright nasty/lazy.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Mr.B wrote:JTA..I hope you're feeling somewhat better....noticed you've not posted since Wednesday.

I must caught what you've got when I responded to your post; been sicker'n a junkyard dog since Tuesday night. No fever, just'a helluva cough, headache, short-winded, and leaking at the nostrils. The Mrs. put me outta our bed and into the spare bedroom....didn't know a body could cough so much.... all this schnootin', schnortin', and schnertin' I'm doing is beginning to make me understand the German language!

Later.
Dang hope you feel better as well. I was out of commission for several days. My fever almost hit 103, was very rough. I'm nearly back to 100% thanks for asking!

My friend's wife made me this natural throat spray stuff with oils and all kinds of hippy stuff in it and believe it or not, it actually worked better than the stuff I paid like 10 bucks at the drug store for for my sore throat. Two squirts and the soreness dissipates almost instantly. I was super impressed. I don't know the recipe and I don't even know what's in it but it sure does work. Could be black magic or hippy spells, not sure which though.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

When I was a kid, my Grandpa had a cure for everything. If we got sick, he'd make us take a tablespoon of sugar with about three drops of kerosene. That was supposed to cure everything from worms to whooping cough. After my first "treatment", I never got sick anymore while I lived with my grandparents.....must've worked.

bannination
Captain

Mr.B wrote:When I was a kid, my Grandpa had a cure for everything. If we got sick, he'd make us take a tablespoon of sugar with about three drops of kerosene. That was supposed to cure everything from worms to whooping cough. After my first "treatment", I never got sick anymore while I lived with my grandparents.....must've worked.
Yeah, I would have never got sick again either.

"Why are you coughing??" Uh... just swallowed something wrong... yeah....

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

bannination wrote: "Why are you coughing??" Uh... just swallowed something wrong... yeah...."
Nope....it's called a chest cold. I do things differently than you.