Progress and other good Coronavirus news

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Progress and other good Coronavirus news

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 10:32 am
Shunning has historically worked pretty well, too.
I'm usually happy to go with the carrot, but eventually you have to consider the stick.
Poll: Vaccinated Americans are ready to drop their masks after CDC shift. But they're not ready to socialize with the unvaccinated.

... This sort of distinction between vaccinated and unvaccinated Americans is set to define the next phase of the U.S. pandemic. About 59 percent of U.S. adults have now received at least one vaccine dose, according to the CDC. But only another 5 percent say they plan to get a shot “as soon as it is available to me.” The rest have either said for months that they want to “wait and see what happens to others before deciding” (9 percent); that they’re not sure (9 percent); or that they will “never” get vaccinated (20 percent).

The U.S., in other words, is running out of adults who are eager to get a jab — and as a result the country as a whole is not likely to reach the 75 to 90 percent vaccination threshold that experts say is required for the kind of lasting population-wide protection known as “herd immunity.”
Shunning:
... The upshot is that there’s a growing desire among vaccinated Americans to be insulated from the perceived risks posed by their unvaccinated peers — a desire those unvaccinated peers do not share. Nearly two-thirds (64 percent) of vaccinated Americans, for instance, say they would want to know people’s vaccination status before socializing with them; half (50 percent) say they would go so far as to ask about vaccination status before socializing; and 61 percent say they would feel comfortable socializing with unvaccinated people only “under certain conditions (outdoors, masks, etc.).”

Likewise, 81 percent of vaccinated Americans want their unvaccinated peers to continue wearing masks indoors, and 62 percent want them to keep covering their faces outdoors, too. (Majorities of Americans — 62 percent and 53 percent, respectively — agree.) Asked whether unvaccinated Americans should “be allowed to do all the same things as vaccinated Americans,” far more of those who’ve gotten at least one shot say no (54 percent) than yes (29 percent).

... vaccinated Americans vastly outnumber those who say they’ll never get vaccinated, and it’s entirely possible that businesses and institutions will increasingly cater to their desire for peace of mind in public settings.

It’s a desire that runs deep. A full 59 percent of vaccinated Americans say they want businesses to require proof of vaccination from customers, and even more say the government should require “vaccine passports” to attend school (60 percent), attend a sporting event (61 percent) or fly on an airplane (71 percent). Similar numbers of vaccinated Americans want their own employers to require vaccination for in-person workers (65 percent) and public schools to require vaccination for returning students (73 percent).
Partial solutions:
... As a consequence, only small numbers of unvaccinated Americans say they would be more likely to get a shot if they could get vaccinated at their doctor’s office (20 percent); if they get could vaccinated at their place of work (14 percent); if a nurse came to their house and offered to vaccinate them there (16 percent); if it meant they were no longer required to wear a mask in public (22 percent); if their employer required them to be vaccinated to return to the workplace (21 percent); if they received something for free (like a beer or a gift card) in exchange (16 percent); if they received $100 in exchange (24 percent); or if it gave them easier access to things like travel, sports, entertainment and restaurants (22 percent).

Even among those in wait-and-see mode, 30 percent or fewer say that any of these enticements would make them more likely to get vaccinated.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 1:05 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 12:21 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 10:32 am
Shunning has historically worked pretty well, too.
I'm usually happy to go with the carrot, but eventually you have to consider the stick.
What about a huge carrot that could be used as a club?
I like it. Following the analogy - "If you get a vaccine, we'll give you a $500 bonus; if you don't, you can't work here."
I'd hold out for $500,000. But it's too late, already vaccinated. All I got was a little card and a button.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

This should more correctly be in the "wingnutties out of control" section, but just today at the Wal Mart food store (beer store) "Bubba" was in line ahead of me.....five foot eight, about 230lbs, no mask. He was telling the clerk that he and his wife have a good friend who works at the CDC and the friend says that folks with O+ blood have a "ninety five percent chance" of not getting the covid virus. He went on to say that "the government" doesn't want you to know this and that there's no way he can be forced to wear a mask unless martial law is declared. The clerk was agreeing with all of this and giving her comments as well; to the detriment of my wanting to get the fuck out of there as soon as possible.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 4:51 pm
This should more correctly be in the "wingnutties out of control" section, but just today at the Wal Mart food store (beer store) "Bubba" was in line ahead of me.....five foot eight, about 230lbs, no mask. He was telling the clerk that he and his wife have a good friend who works at the CDC and the friend says that folks with O+ blood have a "ninety five percent chance" of not getting the covid virus. He went on to say that "the government" doesn't want you to know this and that there's no way he can be forced to wear a mask unless martial law is declared. The clerk was agreeing with all of this and giving her comments as well; to the detriment of my wanting to get the fuck out of there as soon as possible.
https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions- ... virus.html
... People with type O blood, the most common kind, may have a slight advantage over their peers when it comes to risk for a coronavirus infection and hospitalization or death from COVID-19. This, however, does not mean they can't contract the virus or fall seriously ill from it....
Silver lining: the unvaccinated non-immune O+ folks may still get CV-19 sick and dead months or years from now.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 5:10 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 4:51 pm
https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions- ... virus.html
... People with type O blood, the most common kind, may have a slight advantage over their peers when it comes to risk for a coronavirus infection and hospitalization or death from COVID-19. This, however, does not mean they can't contract the virus or fall seriously ill from it....
Silver lining: the unvaccinated non-immune O+ folks may still get CV-19 sick and dead months or years from now.
I did choose to tell Bubba that I have O+ blood and that I had been vaccinated as well. He looked crushed. And from just seeing and hearing him, I am quite confident that if he and his wife know anybody who works at CDC, that person probably is a janitor.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Dollars to doughnuts they are informed from Facebook news.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 7:30 am
I did choose to tell Bubba that I have O+ blood and that I had been vaccinated as well. He looked crushed. And from just seeing and hearing him, I am quite confident that if he and his wife know anybody who works at CDC, that person probably is a janitor.
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 12:42 pm
:thumbup: Their "good friend who works at the CDC" is probably someone on NSAbook that claims to work at the CDC.

My pharmacy removed its mask sign from the door. So, I left mine off, told the pharmacist that I'm vaccinated and asked if they wanted me to put one on. "You're fine," she said. First business I've been in maskless in over a year.
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 6:33 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 7:30 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 12:42 pm
:thumbup: Their "good friend who works at the CDC" is probably someone on NSAbook that claims to work at the CDC.

My pharmacy removed its mask sign from the door. So, I left mine off, told the pharmacist that I'm vaccinated and asked if they wanted me to put one on. "You're fine," she said. First business I've been in maskless in over a year.
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
Masks are still mandatory in Chicagoland for the time being.

However I've seen more cheating and half assed mask wearing in the last week than I've ever seen. I was at the grocery store yesterday and a woman was shopping maskless. Then she was behind me in the checkout line with her mask on.

I surprised myself by not saying anything to her. Would not have done that a couple of weeks ago.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 10:00 pm

I surprised myself by not saying anything to her. Would not have done that a couple of weeks ago.
It's hard to change outlook from "everybody put your fucking mask on for the benefit of society" to "I'm not going to catch covid, if you're stupid enough not to and won't wear a mask, to hell with you - here's your Darwin award."