College basketball

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: College basketball

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:52 am
GO:

AP #24 Iowa (5) > AP #9 (tie) Purdue (3) for the Big Ten crown.
So:
#1 Gonzaga won.
#2 Arizona won.
#3 Baylor lost. :thumbup:
#4 Auburn lost. :(
#5 Kentucky lost.
#6 Kansas won.
#7 Duke lost. :(
#8 Villanova won.
#9 (tie) Tennessee won.
#9 (tie) Purdue lost. :thumbup:
#s 11 through 17 lost, not that surprising on championship weekend.

That will shake things up. A guess:
#1 Gonzaga
#2 Arizona, possibly #1 based on higher quality tourney.
#3 Kansas, possibly higher? Beating #3 Baylor is a big deal.
#4 Tennessee, higher quality tourney than Villanova's.
#5 Villanova

As for how the losers will get sorted -0-? .
Last edited by Vrede too on Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Looks like Duke got a pretty good spot, but nothing like Kentucky.
Our 2nd game looks tougher than (hopefully) our 3rd game. Our 1st game is against a team that is only playing because the team that won the spot hasn't completed some Division qualifications.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:52 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:52 am
GO:

AP #24 Iowa (5) > AP #9 (tie) Purdue (3) for the Big Ten crown.
So:
#1 Gonzaga won.
#2 Arizona won.
#3 Baylor lost. :thumbup:
#4 Auburn lost. :(
#5 Kentucky lost.
#6 Kansas won.
#7 Duke lost. :(
#8 Villanova won.
#9 (tie) Tennessee won.
#9 (tie) Purdue lost. :thumbup:
#s 11 through 17 lost, not that surprising on championship weekend.

That will shake things up. A guess:
#1 Gonzaga
#5 Villanova

Nothing but the tournament matters anymore
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:55 pm
Looks like Duke got a pretty good spot, but nothing like Kentucky.
Our 2nd game looks tougher than (hopefully) our 3rd game. Our 1st game is against a team that is only playing because the team that won the spot hasn't completed some Division qualifications.
Never thought of this as a immediate news source, but here is is with a full list of games less than an hour after the announcement.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:57 pm
Vrede too wrote:
... That will shake things up. A guess:
#1 Gonzaga
#5 Villanova

Idk, 3 seed Wisconsin might be tough in your 3rd round. You and O Really can trash talk about your 2nd round. :evil:
Idk about Baylor getting a #1 seed and Tennessee getting a 3 seed, especially with Kentucky getting a 2 seed.
Duke might play Davidson in the 2nd round, kinda unfair to fans in our state. :problem:
8 seed UNC loses in the 1st round, or in the 2nd to Baylor. :thumbdown:
8 seed San Diego St loses in the 1st round, or in the 2nd to Kansas. :thumbdown:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:02 pm
Never thought of this as a immediate news source, but here is is with a full list of games less than an hour after the announcement.
Did you mean to post a link?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:13 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:57 pm
Vrede too wrote:
... That will shake things up. A guess:
#1 Gonzaga
#5 Villanova

Idk, 3 seed Wisconsin might be tough in your 3rd round. You and O Really can trash talk about your 2nd round. :evil:
Idk about Baylor getting a #1 seed and Tennessee getting a 3 seed, especially with Kentucky getting a 2 seed.
Duke might play Davidson in the 2nd round, kinda unfair to fans in our state. :problem:
8 seed UNC loses in the 1st round, or in the 2nd to Baylor. :thumbdown:
8 seed San Diego St loses in the 1st round, or in the 2nd to Kansas. :thumbdown:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Did you mean to post a link?
Yes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_NC ... Tournament

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_NC ... Tournament
Must depend on the contributor and maybe on whether it's already considered reliable by Wiki. In this case it may even be the NCAA itself.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Auburn plays at 12:40 on Friday in Greenville and Duke plays at 7:10

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So if UNC gets by Marquette, not by any means assured, they'll get to play Baylor. I'm thinking their dance will be brief. Auburn gets to pound on The U, and it looks like the Zags lie in Duke's path to a Coach K final glorious send-off. Aztecs have Kansas if they last that long. Let the Madness roll.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The 35 men's college basketball teams who have never made it to March Madness

I can see them never being good enough for an at large bid, but to never once win their weak conferences is pretty bad.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:15 pm
The 35 men's college basketball teams who have never made it to March Madness

I can see them never being good enough for an at large bid, but to never once win their weak conferences is pretty bad.
Yeah, most of the list I never heard of, and winning some eligible conference is the only way South Omaha Tech is going to get in. But some of the names there, William and Mary for example, you'd think would have a strong year every once in a while. Speaking of W&M, how long is it going to be before "The Tribe" has their turn in the culturally insensitive barrel?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:01 pm
Yeah, most of the list I never heard of, and winning some eligible conference is the only way South Omaha Tech is going to get in. But some of the names there, William and Mary for example, you'd think would have a strong year every once in a while. Speaking of W&M, how long is it going to be before "The Tribe" has their turn in the culturally insensitive barrel?
Starting nearly 40 years ago.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_%26_Mary_Tribe

... From 1916 to the mid-1980s William & Mary athletic teams were known as the Indians. Since 1978 the school's teams have been known simply as the Tribe. During the 2006–07 school year then–College President Gene Nichol removed two tribal feathers from the William & Mary athletic logo to bring the program into compliance with newly passed NCAA regulations. On April 6, 2010, after student discussion and subsequent polling, the griffin was announced as the school's new mascot.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Interesting interactive bracket by FiveThirtyEight
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/20 ... edictions/

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:40 pm
Someone sure likes Gonzaga.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:01 pm
O Really wrote:
There's a lot to like, at least in regard to making picks. They're experienced dancers, have no glaring weaknesses, and have a potentially easier path than, say, Baylor,

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:27 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:
There's a lot to like, at least in regard to making picks. They're experienced dancers, have no glaring weaknesses, and have a potentially easier path than, say, Baylor,
They do have an easier path than most and to be fair I've only watched them in one game and I should know that you can't judge a team based on one game, but they were so mediocre in that game that it's hard for me to imagine them as a #1.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:04 am
O Really wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:
They do have an easier path than most and to be fair I've only watched them in one game and I should know that you can't judge a team based on one game, but they were so mediocre in that game that it's hard for me to imagine them as a #1.
From "Oddschecker"
Gonzaga is elite in every category. On the offensive end, the Bulldogs are ranked first in the nation. On the defensive end, the Bulldogs are ranked as the fifth-best in the NCAA Tournament. Gonzaga is holding teams to just a 43.2% effective field goal percentage while allowing teams to shoot just 30.7% from deep and 41.6% from inside the arc. Gonzaga won't earn a whole bunch of turnovers, but second chances are limited by Gonzaga, as the Bulldogs only allow 23% offensive rebounds. Gonzaga is a Championship contender
And from CBS Sports

team logo
Gonzaga
The No. 1 overall seed again, and with good reason. The Bulldogs have been sitting at No. 1 in every predictive metric for more than a month. This team isn't quite as good as last year's that entered the Big Dance with an undefeated record, but it's just as much of a threat to win it all thanks to the arrival of 7-foot-1 freshman Chet Holmgren. There is no one in the sport like him. Gonzaga is an elite offensive machine. It returns Drew Timme and Andrew Nembhard as starters from last year's Final Four team. The Zags run, they shoot at a 61% clip from 2-point range and they are the best they've been defensively since the team that made the 2017 national championship game. There are a lot of viable national title contenders in this year's bracket — more than last year for sure — but Gonzaga's floor is higher than any other team, while its ceiling is as good as any other team, too.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:58 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:
From "Oddschecker"
Gonzaga is elite in every category. On the offensive end, the Bulldogs are ranked first in the nation. On the defensive end, the Bulldogs are ranked as the fifth-best in the NCAA Tournament. Gonzaga is holding teams to just a 43.2% effective field goal percentage while allowing teams to shoot just 30.7% from deep and 41.6% from inside the arc. Gonzaga won't earn a whole bunch of turnovers, but second chances are limited by Gonzaga, as the Bulldogs only allow 23% offensive rebounds. Gonzaga is a Championship contender
And from CBS Sports

team logo
Gonzaga
The No. 1 overall seed again, and with good reason. The Bulldogs have been sitting at No. 1 in every predictive metric for more than a month. This team isn't quite as good as last year's that entered the Big Dance with an undefeated record, but it's just as much of a threat to win it all thanks to the arrival of 7-foot-1 freshman Chet Holmgren. There is no one in the sport like him. Gonzaga is an elite offensive machine. It returns Drew Timme and Andrew Nembhard as starters from last year's Final Four team. The Zags run, they shoot at a 61% clip from 2-point range and they are the best they've been defensively since the team that made the 2017 national championship game. There are a lot of viable national title contenders in this year's bracket — more than last year for sure — but Gonzaga's floor is higher than any other team, while its ceiling is as good as any other team, too.
I know all that and like I said, if anyone should know that a team can have an off night or two, it's an Auburn fan. I only saw Gonzaga in one game, in that game they were very mediocre in their loss to #23 st. Marys. That game is my only reference point. They'll get plenty of competition.
Go Duke

Edit:
I hope Auburn wins their next game ...

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:24 pm
O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:58 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

From "Oddschecker"
And from CBS Sports

team logo
Gonzaga
I know all that and like I said, if anyone should know that a team can have an off night or two, it's an Auburn fan. I only saw Gonzaga in one game, in that game they were very mediocre in their loss to #23 st. Marys. That game is my only reference point. They'll get plenty of competition.
Go Duke

Edit:
I hope Auburn wins their next game ...
Never ranked Georgia State is giving them hell. They've led, it seems like, for most of the 1st half. Finally fell behind by 2 with 30 seconds left.

Do they have the depth to hang for the 2nd half.

I started watching Tennessee until they went up by 34, then switched to Baylor, also up by about 30. This is a game worth watching.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:50 pm
So if UNC gets by Marquette ...
Ye of little faith. ;)

Are Michigan (11) and Richmond (12) Cinderellas or just one-offs? Not a fan of either, so I don't care.
1312. ETTD.