The Music Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Music Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

Trivia from TV:
Swift has played 53 US dates. She's got 93 more scheduled, mostly overseas then back to the US.
She is expected to generate $1.5B in ticket sales.
The average attendee spends $1300 - ticket, travel, hotel, food, merch, etc.
She is expected to generate $5B in local economic impact.
Beyonce may generate $2B in ticket sales.

Damn.

Sixto Rodriguez: Searching for Sugar Man singer dies aged 81
Construction worker. Went decades without knowing that he'd become a rock star overseas.
Searching for Sugar Man is a 2012 documentary film about a South African cultural phenomenon, written and directed by Malik Bendjelloul, which details the efforts in the late 1990s of two Cape Town fans, Stephen "Sugar" Segerman and Craig Bartholomew Strydom, to find out whether the rumoured death of American musician Sixto Rodriguez was true and, if not, to discover what had become of him. Rodriguez's music, which had never achieved success in the United States, had become very popular in South Africa, although little was known about him in that country.

On 10 February 2013, the film won the BAFTA Award for Best Documentary at the 66th British Academy Film Awards in London and two weeks later, it won the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature at the 85th Academy Awards in Hollywood.
:clap: Great film. RIP.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

:-|| :clap:

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Nice! Thanks.
I've been their fan for ages and yet today is the first time I've seen this video of Florence sweating in her pajamas and singing in some box. Iconic.
Odd setting. Turns out it's a Danish radio station, VPRO. That also explains the heat - A/C is not standard in northern Europe.

Hip-hop turns 50: How a musical genre became a 'cultural phenomenon'

:roll: I'm still hoping that it's a passing fad.

Why are Black rappers aligning themselves with the right?

Ice Cube
Kanye West
Da Baby
Kodak Black
Lil Pump, etc.

:puke-left:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:08 pm
Nice! Thanks.
I've been their fan for ages and yet today is the first time I've seen this video of Florence sweating in her pajamas and singing in some box. Iconic.
Odd setting. Turns out it's a Danish radio station, VPRO. That also explains the heat - A/C is not standard in northern Europe.

Hip-hop turns 50: How a musical genre became a 'cultural phenomenon'

:roll: I'm still hoping that it's a passing fad.

Ice Cube
Kanye West
Da Baby
Kodak Black
Lil Pump, etc.

Didn't read the article, but my guess. Rich black folk ain't much different than rich white folk. Once they get 10 times more money than they and theirs can ever spend they decide that they did it all themselves without help from anyone and to help those who have nothing only serves to make them dependent.
Besides it's all genetics. We are on top because we deserve it.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:59 am
Vrede too wrote:

Ice Cube
Kanye West
Da Baby
Kodak Black
Lil Pump, etc.

Didn't read the article, but my guess. Rich black folk ain't much different than rich white folk. Once they get 10 times more money than they and theirs can ever spend they decide that they did it all themselves without help from anyone and to help those who have nothing only serves to make them dependent.
Besides it's all genetics. We are on top because we deserve it.
Good guess, but that's only part of it. There's also:
COVIDiocy
Getting pardoned by Dolt .45
Hypermasculinity
Conservative Christian values
"a distrust of social institutions (justified or not)"
Bigoted views on gender identity
... Ownership in hip-hop is whiter than ever and the nature of the music itself has become increasingly capitalistic. Rap is no longer the embodiment of African American resistance it once was. Now, it’s a hyper-commercialized cultural assembly line that’s somehow been re-designed to glorify the very issues it once pushed so hard against....
And almost verbatim as you say:
We know that Black wealth hoarding can’t save us and that recreating the violent architecture of capitalism – but with Black people in the positions of power, of course – does nothing for the plight of everyday African Americans. Still, hip-hop legends like Jay-Z continue to peddle this demented lie because that is the very function of capitalism: keep the poorest in society busy providing cheap labor while they chase an impossible dream.
Finally:
... What’s perhaps most fascinating about all this is the fact that many rappers are willing to align themselves with white supremacists not in spite of their marginalization, but because of it. I don’t blame Black people – burned by decades of generational disenfranchisement and then walloped over the head with the illusion of meritocracy – for trying to keep their place at the top no matter who they have to play nice with.
Sigh.
But romancing fearmongering xenophobes isn’t keeping us at the top, it’s digging a pitiful hole to the bottom, a new low from which Black people as a community will not recover if we don’t put a stop to it now.
Good luck with that.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Nice! Thanks.
That's a great rendition.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:01 am
... '67 was a couple of years before I hit my stride. As I recall, it was summer '69 when I discovered the new world.....and I'm still wandering in it.
Part of your old world lingers:

Local vinyl manufacturers discuss the industry’s growth and potential
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:12 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:01 am
... '67 was a couple of years before I hit my stride. As I recall, it was summer '69 when I discovered the new world.....and I'm still wandering in it.
Part of your old world lingers:

Local vinyl manufacturers discuss the industry’s growth and potential
Thanks. I'm impressed that there's two places around there making records. Records sound much better than cd's just because of the way they're made. A record is a linear real time recording of a musical performance but a compact disc is a bunch of chops of a performance. It takes a relatively high quality stereo system to actually hear those differences but they're there. The simplest way to look at it is to recognize that our ears are analog, not digital. If our ears were digital, cd's would sound better to us than records. I have a few records pressed by Sheffield Labs, which are direct to disc records, meaning there is no tape recorder involved in the process; the record is cut direct from the master or "mother." And of course the Sheffield records are more expensive than regular ones and there are much less of them.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I remember when all we had was records, then tape, which wasn't necessarily an improvement except in avoiding everybody buying an album, and then CD's. But I seem to remember that the sound on CD's was remarkably better than other media at the time. Was I fooled by hype? Did I just get better speakers? So now is the sound streamed the same digital as CD sound? I like music, but I've never been a real audiophile, and am generally happy with a decent set of earbuds and a streaming source.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:

Nice! Thanks.
:crybaby: :crybaby:

Damn YouTube algorithm.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:07 pm
:crybaby: :crybaby:

Damn YouTube algorithm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HuYEOO2r1g
Florence opens her mouth to sing in a small, crowded room and still manages to sound like she's in an acoustically glorious cave. 🥰
"One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain."
— Bob Marley
:-|| :-||
Same thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lasLJ6OD-i8
Another 1,155,627 views. There are even more versions.

Austin teen dies months after bedside Florence & the Machine concert

Karinya Chen has died at age 15 after a six year battle with bone cancer.
Florence Welch was the "best 45 minutes of my life." I would not have guessed that she had 4+ months remaining. :cry:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:12 pm

Same thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lasLJ6OD-i8
Another 1,155,627 views. There are even more versions.

Omfg
:crybaby: :crybaby: :-|| :-|| :happy-cheerleaderkid:

Awesome.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:40 am
I remember when all we had was records, then tape, which wasn't necessarily an improvement except in avoiding everybody buying an album, and then CD's. But I seem to remember that the sound on CD's was remarkably better than other media at the time. Was I fooled by hype? Did I just get better speakers? So now is the sound streamed the same digital as CD sound? I like music, but I've never been a real audiophile, and am generally happy with a decent set of earbuds and a streaming source.
Yeah, I remember when all music was either a record or a reel to reel tape. The vast majority of records are actually made from a tape recording. Even compact discs are made from tape recordings. On the back of a cd case you will see three letters in one of three orders....AAD, ADD, or DDD denoting whether the master tape was analog or digital (digital tape recorders didn't come along until sometime in the 70's so any music prior to around that time was all analog) and if the original analog tape was digitally remastered, which would be "ADD" and earlier cd's might be "AAD" and more recent cd's may be "DDD" but the last letter will always be "D" because it's now a compact disc, a digital thing. Disc players were a big hit initially because of their convenience and also the fact that they appeared to make a mediocre system sound "better." Mostly due to the extended high end frequency response on discs. But even so, one should keep in mind that EVERY disc player has a digital to analog converter in order for you to "hear" it correctly. Records sound better because they need no converter.

O Really
Admiral

A lot of song lyrics get misunderstood, like Prince never sang "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy" and Mellencamp didn't say anything about "Jacking my Hand". Well, yesterday I learned I had heard a line wrong for over half a century.
Background: Maybe nobody here but Whack9 and I know about the Mummers Parade in Philadelphia, held every Jan 1. Not really the same, but short version would be it's similar to a Mardi Gras parade. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mummers_Parade

A central theme song played by practically all the string bands is "Golden Slippers". The song gets played and danced ("strutted") to many times during the parade and in all performances through the year by a Mummers band.

Anyway, the song also has lyrics from long ago and the chorus goes like this:
"Oh, them golden slippers
Oh, them golden slippers
Golden slippers I'm goin' to wear
To walk the golden street"

Up until yesterday, I had always thought it was "on my golden feet" :lol:

Sometime Lefty
Flight Lieutenant

Unread post by Sometime Lefty »

O Really wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:57 am
A lot of song lyrics get misunderstood, like Prince never sang "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy" a
You're right Prince never sang that and prince didn't light his guitar on fire at Monteray.

O Really
Admiral

Sometime Lefty wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:27 pm
O Really wrote:
A lot of song lyrics get misunderstood, like Prince never sang "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy" a
You're right Prince never sang that and prince didn't light his guitar on fire at Monteray.
:oops: :lol:
Prince, Hendrix, whatever.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
A lot of song lyrics get misunderstood, like Prince never sang "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy" ...
That was Liberace, nttawwt.
A central theme song played by practically all the string bands is "Golden Slippers". The song gets played and danced ("strutted") to many times during the parade and in all performances through the year by a Mummers band.

Straight White men only need apply . . . in a city that's only 36.3% White. :roll:
Controversy :puke-left:
Ironically, "'Golden Slippers' is a spiritual popularized in the years following the American Civil War by the (Black) Fisk Jubilee Singers." Cultural appropriation?
Sometime Lefty wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:27 pm
You're right Prince never sang that and (9 year old) Prince didn't light his guitar on fire at Monteray.
No one did "at Monteray." :P
O Really wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:48 pm
:oops: :lol:
Prince, Hendrix, whatever.
They all sound alike.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:51 pm
Cultural appropriation?
Yeah, and I didn't even show you the costumes.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:08 pm
Yeah, and I didn't even show you the costumes.

Those are cool.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Not a bad rendition at all, as long as you don't mind the Jamaican modification of "My Sweet Lard"