The Music Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Music Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:23 pm
Not a bad rendition at all, as long as you don't mind the Jamaican modification of "My Sweet Lard"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgWUwywrXOM
"Lard"? That is nice, thanks, but I was expecting a parody about Southern Cooking.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I guess when Dolly calls, no matter who you are, you show up.
Spoiler:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:17 pm
I guess when Dolly calls, no matter who you are, you show up.
Spoiler:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXW-p4nKdDA
:clap: :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| Thanks!

I'll say.
Spoiler:

Also with "special guests" Peter Frampton and Mick Fleetwood.
Rockstar (Dolly Parton album)

Rockstar is the upcoming forty-ninth solo studio album by Dolly Parton. It is scheduled to be released on November 17, 2023, by Butterfly Records and Big Machine Records. The album is a collaborative project with a variety of rock musicians, marking Parton's first foray into that genre.

Lead single "World on Fire" was released on May 11, 2023. the second single, "We Are the Champions"/"We Will Rock You" was released on July 21, 2023.

On June 16, 2023, Parton also released two promotional tracks in "Magic Man" and "Bygones".

Recording and release

Parton was nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2022 and initially declined the honor as she has a background in country music and not rock. In response, she declared her intention to record an album of rock covers with a host of musical guests from that genre to justify her inclusion. Parton performed "Rockin'", an original song, at the Hall of Fame induction ceremony....
Including featured writers:
Pat Benatar, Neil Giraldo
Simon Le Bon
Rob Halford
Pink
Brandi Carlile
Sheryl Crow
Peter Frampton
Steven Tyler
Chris Stapleton
Miley Cyrus
Richie Sambora
Sting
Jonathan Cain
Steve Perry
Ann Wilson, Nancy Wilson, Howard Leese
John Fogerty

(opps longer list than I thought, look for the rest yourself)
TayTay and Queen B, hold my beer.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

From Dolly's advanced age to youth. I thought this would be interesting for the moving backstory, but she's very very good regardless:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-xC4n15w-c

:clap: :-||

Voilà → English translation. Perfect song.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

It's not my favourite Pink Floyd performance, but I discovered that the instrumental part of "Money" is great for tuning your car audio.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:06 pm
It's not my favourite Pink Floyd performance, but I discovered that the instrumental part of "Money" is great for tuning your car audio.

Pink Floyd was and is awesome.

Too bad Roger Waters is such a dipshit.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Never got to see them live, but I've gone 3 times to the theatrical laser show. Well worth it, if it's still going around.

Edit: It's still going around.

https://laserspectacular.com/
https://laserspectacular.com/tour-dates%2Ftickets

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:20 am
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:12 pm

Same thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lasLJ6OD-i8
Another 1,155,627 views. There are even more versions.

Omfg
:crybaby: :crybaby: :-|| :-|| :happy-cheerleaderkid:

Awesome.
Tonight, James Corden (rerun): Florence Welch talks, Florence + the Machine performs.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Are we boycotting indigenous Russians, too?

OTYKEN - LEGEND (Official Music Video)
Otyken (Russian: Отукен, OH-too-kyen) is a Siberian indigenous music group that mixes elements of modern pop with local folk music, incorporating traditional instruments, lyrics, and languages. 'Otyken' is a Chulym word for a sacred land where warriors would lay down their arms and talk. The band was formed in 2015 by Andrey Medonos, and their debut album was released in 2018. As of January 2023, the group has over two million followers on Tiktok, over one hundred and twenty thousand monthly listeners on Spotify, and three hundred thousand subscribers on YouTube. The band members are of Siberian ethnicities and live in tiny villages along the Chulym river in the taiga of Krasnoyarsk Krai.
Interesting backstory and career. :think: It's strange, but I like it. The hoodie dude dancing in the background and by himself at the top of the slope is a nice touch. :clap:

Edit:
OTYKEN - SMOKE (Official Live MV)
:thumbup: Hoodie dude scored some cool goggles and some Siberian seed pods to shake.
OTYKEN - KHAN BLUES (Official Music Video)
:clap: :clap: Almost all women rocking out. I like their natural settings.
Last edited by Vrede too on Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

So if I play YouTube vids on my cell I get annoying video ads but don't get them on the laptop. Is this because adblock is on the laptop and not on the cell? Is there a recommended working as block for Android?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:27 pm
So if I play YouTube vids on my cell I get annoying video ads but don't get them on the laptop. Is this because adblock is on the laptop and not on the cell? Is there a recommended working as block for Android?
android ad blocking app

I'll let you sift through the options and reviews.

I'm reasonably happy with Adblock Plus on my Mac, so you could try their Android app:
Adblock Browser: Fast & Secure
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

OTYKEN - SMOKE (Official Live MV)
:-|| The bull's head bass is a trip.

OTYKEN - PULSE (Official Live MV)
Cool duet. Three if you count the Vargan (Jew's-harp) as a front woman. Hoodie dude, sans instrument, just wanders the stage doing a yeti impression, and I'm okay with that.

OTYKEN - PHENOMENON (Official Music Video)
Yeah, I'm hooked. Gorgeous winter costuming. I would marry the throat singer, Ach, just for the pillow talk, not to mention the beautiful and sexy lead singer, Azyan.
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

A metal and rock band were playing in Simpsonville last Tuesday. Got rained out. Wrecked the equipment. Fans were left standing outside for hours. Venue wasn't communicating. Complete fucking shit show

https://www.wyff4.com/article/ghost-sim ... d/44960931
The post went on to say, "We insisted the venue/promoter explain IMMEDIATELY to all our fans that were patiently waiting to be let back into the venue but we were met with legalese.
Luckily I ended up leaving when the storm started. Didn't come back.

The venue shared a post on Facebook yesterday saying the rescheduled show was canceled but disabled comments. Gee, I wonder why.

In any case, just a complete mess all around.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:54 pm
A metal and rock band were playing in Simpsonville last Tuesday. Got rained out. Wrecked the equipment. Fans were left standing outside for hours. Venue wasn't communicating. Complete fucking shit show

https://www.wyff4.com/article/ghost-sim ... d/44960931
The post went on to say, "We insisted the venue/promoter explain IMMEDIATELY to all our fans that were patiently waiting to be let back into the venue but we were met with legalese.
Luckily I ended up leaving when the storm started. Didn't come back.

The venue shared a post on Facebook yesterday saying the rescheduled show was canceled but disabled comments. Gee, I wonder why.

In any case, just a complete mess all around.
Smart to have left. The venue/promoter have a duty to not only communicate with fans but also to protect the electronic equipment.
... The city of Simpsonville provided the following statement on Thursday morning:

"The City of Simpsonville is proud of the role that the CCNB Amphitheatre at Heritage Park plays in the high quality of life in Simpsonville and looks forward to remaining concerts and festivals this season."
:roll: :obscene-birdiered:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Buncha wimps.
Shoulda been at Woodstock.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Some evangelicals were pissed Ghost was playing. Word on the street was Simpsonville regretted having them. They didn't realize they were "satanic" or something. Idk though, that's just hearsay.

Huge mess though. Especially the complete lack of communication.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Lmaooooo

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:40 am
Lmaooooo

https://i.imgur.com/o9p7yXg.jpeg
:lol:

One more from a group that doesn't blow:

OTYKEN - KYKAKACHA
Lyrics

:clap: Hoodie dude is now a masked forest spirit (?) lurking in the background.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Madonna Reacts After Pepsi Airs Her Long-Banned Commercial After 34 Years
The Queen of Pop had a cheeky response to finally seeing her ’80s ad resurface during the MTV VMAs.

... “34 years ago I made a commercial with Pepsi to celebrate the release of my song Like a Prayer,” she wrote on Instagram. “The commercial was immediately canceled when I refused to change any scenes in the video where I was kissing a black saint or burning crosses. So began my illustrious career as an artist refusing to compromise my artistic integrity.”

After thanking Pepsi for “finally realizing the genius of our collaboration,” Madonna ended her note with a James Baldwin quote: “Artists are here to disturb the peace.”

Of course, the pop diva didn’t stop there, and later shared a photo of herself sipping from a can of Coca-Cola ― Pepsi’s biggest rival ― to her Instagram story with the caption: “Also good!”
:---P :angel: :-||

Interesting, convoluted story. Here's the video that Pepsi ran away from being associated with:

Madonna - Like A Prayer (Official Video)

Holds up well. NOTHING offensive or anti-religious about it.
... True to form, Madonna had the last laugh. Not only did she keep the $5 million from the campaign, but “Like a Prayer” became a global smash and remains one of her most beloved songs to this day.
Wiki:
... At the 1989 MTV Video Music Awards, "Like a Prayer" was nominated in the Viewer's Choice and Video of the Year categories, winning the former. Coincidentally, the award show was sponsored by Pepsi that year, and when Madonna received the award onstage she added, "I would really like to thank Pepsi for causing so much controversy." "Like a Prayer" also topped video countdowns and critic lists. It was number one on MTV's countdown of "100 Videos That Broke The Rules" in 2005, and for the 25th anniversary of MTV, viewers voted it as the "Most Groundbreaking Music Video of All Time". In addition, the clip was ranked at number 20 on Rolling Stone's "The 100 Top Music Videos" and at number two on VH1's 100 Greatest Videos. Fuse TV named "Like a Prayer" one of its 10 "Videos That Rocked The World". In a 2011 poll by Billboard, "Like a Prayer" was voted the second best music video of the 1980s, behind only Michael Jackson's Thriller.
Opps. :lol:

Pepsi slogan 1989:
"Pepsi. A Generation Ahead"

:roll: More like 2 generations behind.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jan ... 58445.html

"Rolling Stone magazine founder Jann Wenner said that Black and female musicians “didn’t articulate at the level” of the white musicians featured in his new book of interviews, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame announced that he has been removed from its board of directors.

“Jann Wenner has been removed from the Board of Directors of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Foundation,” a terse statement from a rep reads in full; contacted by Variety, a rep for the Hall had no further comment."

wow - "Black and female musicians “didn’t articulate at the level” of the white musicians"
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”