The Question Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Mr.B
A bad person.

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by Mr.B »

29. What does "irregardless" mean?

30. Why do people say "actually" in practically every sentence? (Does it mean they're not pretending?)
("I 'actually' went to Target to buy this shirt")

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Wneglia wrote: 5. Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?
Just ask fat jack cuz fat jack stay whack.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

JTA wrote:
Wneglia wrote: 5. Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?
Just ask fat jack cuz fat jack stay whack.
Any relation to Patti Whack?

"A frog goes into a bank and hops up to a teller. He can see from her name plate that her name is Patricia Whack,
so he says "Ms. Whack, I'd like to borrow $3,000, please."

The teller asks for his name and the frog replies that he is Kermit Jagger, son of Mick Jagger, and a personal friend of the bank manager. Unconvinced, Ms. Whack explains she will need some identity and also some security against his loan. The frog produces a tiny pink porcelain elephant and hands it to her.

The confused teller says she will have to consult with her manager. 'There's a frog named Kermit Jagger at the counter who wants to borrow $3,000," she tells her boss. "And what do you think about this pink elephant as collateral?"

The manager looks back at her and says "It's a knick-knack, Patti Whack, give the frog a loan. His old man's a Rolling Stone.' "

AJokeADay.com

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Do you guys sometimes wish hats would make a comeback?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Not really.

A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

Rarely ever wear a hat or cap. Some folks do look rather distinguished wearing a hat.
As Vrede too "would guess", I'm not a distinguished person.

It's hard to believe that there was a time that a man, woman, or child would not be caught dead in public without a head cover; nowadays, a man doesn't have common manners to take his hat off at the table; (and a few other nasty habits notwithstanding.)
Vrede too wrote:Not really.

ImageImage
or: ImageImage
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Seth Milner wrote:; nowadays, a man doesn't have common manners to take his hat off at the table; (and a few other nasty habits notwithstanding.)
Would you consider it possible that "common manners" can change along with hat styles and location?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

We've been here before, many times.

http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... als#p57798
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Seth Milner wrote:Rarely ever wear a hat or cap. Some folks do look rather distinguished wearing a hat.
As Vrede too "would guess", I'm not a distinguished person.

It's hard to believe that there was a time that a man, woman, or child would not be caught dead in public without a head cover; nowadays, a man doesn't have common manners to take his hat off at the table; (and a few other nasty habits notwithstanding.)
Vrede too wrote:Not really.

ImageImage
or: ImageImage
I wish I could wear a fancy hat when I smoke my pipe.

I think I could totally pull off a cowboy hat though.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

If Seth Milner "would guess" when he can't prove or doesn't know something for sure, as is normal for adults, "he" wouldn't make an ass out of "him"self so often.
JTA wrote:... I wish I could wear a fancy hat when I smoke my pipe.

I think I could totally pull off a cowboy hat though.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

JTA wrote:Do you guys sometimes wish hats would make a comeback?

Not under the same circumstances as the flat caps that three of them are wearing. In 1571 the English Parliament - to stimulate the wool industry - decreed that on Sundays and holidays all males over 6 years of age, except for the nobility and persons of degree, were to wear woolen caps on pain of a fine. The Bill was repealed in 1597, but the flat cap continues to be a common part of English culture.

(This sort of thing was common. When the wool industry in England was in recession hundreds of years ago, decrees were passed that, when you died, you had to be buried in a woolen shroud. A similar thing was done in France with linen. I still think that my proposal to use the same method to save Hummer was rejected without due consideration.)

The bowler hat that three of them are wearing, not the cowboy hat or sombrero, was the most popular hat in the American West. Today in Bolivia its standard women's wear.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

rstrong wrote:
JTA wrote:Do you guys sometimes wish hats would make a comeback?

Not under the same circumstances as the flat caps that three of them are wearing. In 1571 the English Parliament - to stimulate the wool industry - decreed that on Sundays and holidays all males over 6 years of age, except for the nobility and persons of degree, were to wear woolen caps on pain of a fine. The Bill was repealed in 1597, but the flat cap continues to be a common part of English culture.

(This sort of thing was common. When the wool industry in England was in recession hundreds of years ago, decrees were passed that, when you died, you had to be buried in a woolen shroud. A similar thing was done in France with linen. I still think that my proposal to use the same method to save Hummer was rejected without due consideration.)

The bowler hat that three of them are wearing, not the cowboy hat or sombrero, was the most popular hat in the American West. Today in Bolivia its standard women's wear.
Huh, how about that. Thats super interesting.

O Really
Admiral

I like hats. I wear tuques and flat caps in the winter, and I've got a straw fedora, an outbacker, and a safari hat. I'm not that fond of ball caps, although I have a couple - cotton blend, no mesh or poly. My interest is really more functional than style, however.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:I like hats. I wear tuques and flat caps in the winter, and I've got a straw fedora, an outbacker, and a safari hat. I'm not that fond of ball caps, although I have a couple - cotton blend, no mesh or poly. My interest is really more functional than style, however.
Flat caps are cool. I think those are still fairly easy to pull off.

I sport a non logod ball cap from time to time when my hair becomes unruly. Or if I'm doing yard work or hiking.

I've also got a boonie hat I wear at the beach or wherever its hot as hell and the sun is beating my ass into the ground.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too wrote:If Seth Milner "would guess" when he can't prove or doesn't know something for sure, as is normal for adults, "he" wouldn't make an ass out of "him"self so often.
What would "you" know anything about what is normal for adults? "You" don't read your own posts, do "you"?

Would "you" like to pet my Spook?
Last edited by Seth Milner on Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

O Really wrote:
Seth Milner wrote: nowadays, a man doesn't have common manners to take his hat off at the table; (and a few other nasty habits notwithstanding.)
Would you consider it possible that "common manners" can change along with hat styles and location?
Most definitely; especially in the U.S.; just ask the British about American manners.
Vrede too wrote:We've been here before, many times.
You'd think you could get it right by now. Pay attention, Dancing Man.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Baseball caps, fleece baseball cap with ear flaps and some pullovers for Winter, straw hat for canoeing/beach, fedora for rare dressy use, ski mask for when it's really cold or shooting down drones with a wristrocket.
Last edited by Vrede too on Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Seth Milner wrote:.; just ask the British about American manners.

Why would I do that? Many manners from one country are not appropriate manners in another. It's good to know etiquette from other countries if you plan to go there - or even as a matter of general education, but criticizing the manners of another country would not be considered good manners in any.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

O Really wrote:
Why would I do that?
Correct. No point in asking; just look around. "..and laying his finger aside his nose, he . . ." , well, you know.

Many manners from one country are not appropriate manners in another. It's good to know etiquette from other countries if you plan to go there - or even as a matter of general education, but criticizing the manners of another country would not be considered good manners in any.
Generally though, the Brits consider Americans to be "boorish" and uncultured. What do they know?

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Seth Milner wrote:
O Really wrote:
Why would I do that?
Correct. No point in asking; just look around. "..and laying his finger aside his nose, he . . ." , well, you know.

Many manners from one country are not appropriate manners in another. It's good to know etiquette from other countries if you plan to go there - or even as a matter of general education, but criticizing the manners of another country would not be considered good manners in any.
Generally though, the Brits consider Americans to be "boorish" and uncultured. What do they know?
If my forefathers didn't fight against the king o' England back in the day we'd all be speaking English right now.

To hell with what they think!