Can't make this (stuff) up

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I was listening to a song by Steve Earle and the Dukes tonight called "Justice in Ontario" and the song is about a guy named Jim Donnelly who was shot and killed in a bar. It made me wonder if Donnelly is some sort of Canadian outlaw / hero / cult figure or something...haven't looked it up but thought rstrong may be able to shed some light on this. It's a good song, though. The song also mentions a Canadian cop, Corporal Terry Hall, who evidently solved the case. Trivia night......

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Well, I checked it out; seems the Donnelly's were the proverbial bad seeds of the local town; the townsfolk pretty much killed the whole bunch of them. No one was ever prosecuted.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

neoplacebo wrote:Well, I checked it out; seems the Donnelly's were the proverbial bad seeds of the local town; the townsfolk pretty much killed the whole bunch of them. No one was ever prosecuted.
Shades of In Broad Daylight.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

Cool! :thumbsup:
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I accidentally watched without the sound the first time, might be even more hypnotizing.
1312. ETTD.

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

Vrede too wrote:I accidentally watched without the sound the first time, might be even more hypnotizing.
How long did it take you to realize the sound was off? Must have been one hell of an accident. Oh wait, you were hypnotized, never mind.
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vet posts pic of cat shot with arrow, triggers social media firestorm

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/18/us/texas- ... index.html

Veterinarian's Oath

The Veterinarian's Oath was adopted by the American Veterinary Medical Association's House of Delegates July 1969, and amended by the AVMA Executive Board, November 1999 and December 2010.

Being admitted to the profession of veterinary medicine, I solemnly swear to use my scientific knowledge and skills for the benefit of society through the protection of animal health and welfare, the prevention and relief of animal suffering, the conservation of animal resources, the promotion of public health, and the advancement of medical knowledge.

I will practice my profession conscientiously, with dignity, and in keeping with the principles of veterinary medical ethics. I accept as a lifelong obligation the continual improvement of my professional knowledge and competence.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Re: A Sad Obituary

Unread post by Mr.B »

This may have already been posted once, I don't recall; but in reading this, I was reminded how senseless we, as a nation have become. Common sense has become a fleeting memory of the past.

A Sad Obituary....

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who
has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was,
since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:
- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn't always fair;
- And maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend
more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children,
are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but
overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy
charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens
suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher
fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the
job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses;
and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a
burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault, or damages for his injuries
if he was hurt breaking into your home.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to
realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap,
and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death,
-by his parents, Truth and Trust,
-by his wife, Discretion,
-by his daughter, Responsibility,
-and by his son, Reason.
He is survived by his 5 stepbrothers;
- I Know My Rights
- I Want It Now
-Someone Else Is To Blame
- I'm A Victim
- Pay me for Doing Nothing........

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone......
until he was already dead and buried.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Crackhead thinks he is a crab:

http://mirror.ninja/01nv
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I don't remember the thread, but sometime in the recent past, one of the lesser bulbs was contending that calling something "Rube Goldberg" was anti-Semitic, or something. Here's a thoroughly entertaining article about the celebration of all things Rube Goldberg - without a hint, as far as I can tell, of reference to any ethnicity... http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/22/83819 ... tory-ideas

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote:I don't remember the thread, but sometime in the recent past,
"The Car Thread", pagesa four and five.

one of the lesser bulbs was contending that calling something "Rube Goldberg" was anti-Semitic, or something.
I remember that, his name started with a 'V'...

Here's a thoroughly entertaining article about the celebration of all things Rube Goldberg - without a hint, as far as I can tell, of reference to any ethnicity... http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/22/83819 ... tory-ideas
Rather stuffy, but interesting, thanks. I've always heard that "a Rube Goldberg" was one who, using unconventional means, could fix or design anything.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Well, I had to look before replying to O Really's post in case the thread reference was already provided. It was, but not honestly described.
[color=#004080]Mr.B[/color] wrote:
O Really wrote:I don't remember the thread, but sometime in the recent past,

"The Car Thread", pagesa four and five.

one of the lesser bulbs was contending that calling something "Rube Goldberg" was anti-Semitic, or something.

I remember that, his name started with a 'V'...

Why are you such a fucking liar? You're the one that suggested that it might be anti-Semitic in a thread where his religion shouldn't have been brought up at all.

What is it that broke in you that you'll spew such garbage when all the contradictory facts are still there on the pages you cite despite the removal of my posts? Is it pathologic immature masochism that you enjoy shaming yourself so? I get that life's been difficult with illness in the family and your own transition from skilled repairman to entry level retail clerk to unemployed, but your blame game coping mechanisms really suck. Grow up, life happens and the only thing you can control is your response to it.
Vrede wrote:
Mr.B wrote:...

I've been known for a few "Rube Goldberg" fixes in my time too.
(Note for the "politically correct"... I had never heard that term used until a few years back after I did some home repairs for a late good friend of mine who was a Jew.
He used to tell me I was a regular "Rube Goldberg" because he hasn't seen anything yet that I couldn't "fix".)
This is your norm when you screw up, as we're currently discussing in another thread.
It also is entirely irrelevant that your customer was a Jew. "Rube Goldberg devices" are a part of American culture.
O Really then told you the same exact thing.

Here's a thoroughly entertaining article about the celebration of all things Rube Goldberg - without a hint, as far as I can tell, of reference to any ethnicity... http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/22/83819 ... tory-ideas

Rather stuffy, but interesting, thanks. I've always heard that "a Rube Goldberg" was one who, using unconventional means, could fix or design anything.

Why are you so fucking stupid? It was proven to you that you are wrong. His cartoons were about overly complex ways to address simple problems, as O Really's link makes clear yet again:
... Made famous by 20th century cartoonist and erstwhile engineer Rube Goldberg, the machines that carry his name accomplish mundane tasks in over-elaborate ways — ideally with a sense of humor....
Just how many times do you have to see sourced fact before it sinks in and before you find the balls to admit that you screwed up?
Now, feel free to deflect, whine and lie some more, you sad eunuch, I have no reason to open your posts since O Really's memory has been refreshed.
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Trashmouth wrote:[..."Why are you"...]
:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Isn't it time to switch back to your "mild-mannered Clark Kent" role yet, you pitiful, whiny, sad-sack has-been? :lol:

Signed,

Mr.B
A bad person.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

Unread post by Colonel Taylor »

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Not the brightest bulb in a dimly lit Congress, is he? Also...

On October 5, 2014 The Washingtonian published their 15th biennial "Best & Worst of Congress" list. This is a unique perspective of how congressional staffers see elected members of congress. The process is simple, ALL staffers -of all offices- get ballots asking for the best and worst elected members of congress in various categories. Rep. Hank Johnson was voted "Worst Speaker" and "Most Clueless" by congressional staffers

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

Unread post by Colonel Taylor »

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

You Mean Like This?

I guess he never thought about Manhattan (Island) capsizing due to the weight of all those huge buildings.. :wtf:
Had I been that Admiral, I would have been incapable of laughing that idiot into the ground. He must've been born in Canada..

Here's Snopes' take on the exchange:

This exchange was the subject of much ridicule and speculation: Was Rep. Johnson really expressing concern that the addition of 8,000 Marines and their families to Guam would literally cause the island to become "so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize," or was he engaging in a metaphor about concerns over the level of environmental degradation that might result from a sudden 14% increase in Guam's population? The latter viewpoint is bolstered by the fact that immediately after his "tip over and capsize" statement, Johnson did explicitly say he was concerned about "the sensitive areas of the environment, coral reefs and those kinds of things." On the other hand, Johnson's prefacing that statement with the words "And also things like the environment ..." (and his curious fixation on Guam's exact dimensions) could be taken to mean that his previously expressed fear "that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize" was a different subject and was therefore not a metaphor for environmental issues. Or perhaps Johnson was clumsily trying to express the notion that adding another 25,000 people to Guam would create an unsustainably large population (and thus the island would reach its "tipping point").

Only Johnson knows for sure what he was thinking as he questioned Admiral Willard, and he later claimed he was "speaking metaphorically" and "kidding" (although critics noted no trace of humor was apparent in his words, tone, or body language, nor did he react or offer correction when Admiral Willard addressed his concerns about the island's "tipping over" as if they were meant literally):
4th District Congressman Hank Johnson is now backing away from an outlandish suggestion he made to a United States Navy admiral that the Pacific island of Guam could "tip over and capsize" if too many U.S. Marines are stationed there.

Johnson said "my fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize."

In an interview, the Decatur Democrat said he was kidding and simply speaking metaphorically to make a point during the committee hearing.

Johnson said, "I can say things that are quite humorous and not smile about it and it leads people to think about what I said."

"Often, I've been known to use humor as I deliver a message. That's just one of the gifts that I think that I have," Johnson deadpanned.

"I've been around long enough in this district for voters to know that if Hank said Guam is in danger of capsizing, they would know precisely that I have a sense of humor."

This happened five years ago. I wonder if he's since had any stupid treatments? I hear there's a fellow in Canada that regularly has these treatments; maybe he can get him a recommendation.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Mr.B wrote:I guess he never thought about Manhattan (Island) capsizing due to the weight of all those huge buildings.. :wtf:
Had I been that Admiral, I would have been incapable of laughing that idiot into the ground. He must've been born in Canada..

[...]

This happened five years ago. I wonder if he's since had any stupid treatments? I hear there's a fellow in Canada that regularly has these treatments; maybe he can get him a recommendation.

Yes, Mr.B.; Canada was responsible for someone misrepresenting a US Democratic Representative's joke. Sure. Whatever you say.

:roll: