Coronavirus

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Coronavirus

Unread post by Vrede too »

A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:50 pm
I've been voting by mail for the past 20 years, at least.

Serving as a manager at a neighborhood precinct location back in the 70's convinced me that our votes are not necessarily in better hands when one votes in person. The old ladies who had been doing it for years were sweet and lovely, but they couldn't count or just didn't care.
I mostly have, too, including in CA, though I've been enjoying doing so in person since retiring. This is more proactive in encouraging mail voting than we've seen:
Petition to Congress:
We urge you to co-sponsor and vote for Sen. Ron Wyden’s Resilient Elections During Quarantines and Natural Disasters Act of 2020. Voters should not have to choose between democracy and public health. This legislation protects democracy by giving every voter a paper ballot and the option to return it by mail or to a dropoff site....
That alone would increase turnout any year.

In some places there are impediments:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2078&p=113255#p113255
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:36 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:33 am
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:29 am
... Not looking good for Jones (D) in Nov, but not impossible.
https://www.wbrc.com/2020/02/12/new-ala ... us-senate/ ...
Lots of time between now and November for tRump to alienate the masses. Have faith.
If not, it's not entirely the fault of the people of Alabama:

Alive and Well: Voter Suppression and Election Mismanagement in Alabama
... Registered voters, too, also encounter obstacles in Alabama. Unlike other states, including those in the Southeast, Alabama lacks common practices that make it easier for registered voters to cast a ballot. The state, for example, only allows absentee voting, or vote by mail, for voters who have an excuse. Voters with an excuse such as out-of-county travel, long work shifts, military service, or incarceration can request a ballot.

This is in stark contrast to the 28 states that offer no-excuse absentee voting and the growing number of states that hold elections entirely by mail. As the secretary of state’s office has noted, Alabama’s vote-by-mail policy is “long-outdated” and inconvenient. Nevertheless, Alabama voters cannot cast a ballot by mail unless their reason happens to be one of the few acceptable – and narrow – reasons designated by the state.

Alabama not only lags other states when it comes to voting by mail but fails to offer an even more common practice: in-person early voting. Thirty-nine states currently offer some form of early voting. What’s more, the secretary of state’s office is opposed to offering the practice. Early voting has been shown to be more than a convenience for voters who take advantage of it. A 2013 Brennan Center for Justice study found that it reduces stress on the voting infrastructure and results in shorter lines on Election Day. Poll workers also gain more experience, which helps provide better performance on Election Day. The additional time also provides opportunities to prevent and correct errors at polling sites.

Eliminating errors at polling sites should be a priority in Alabama. The state’s fragmented election administration system makes it difficult to hold an official responsible for failures on Election Day. In Alabama, election duties are scattered across a confusing web of officials that includes the secretary of state, county probate judges, county board of registrars and poll workers.

The problems with Alabama’s election systems are compounded by a lack of transparency. Government transparency can be a safeguard against election system errors, but few election administration bodies in the state have open meetings. The state’s open records laws are among the weakest in the nation, as well. Obtaining a copy of the state’s voter file is also out of the reach of many people and organizations because a copy costs approximately $35,000 – a price tag rivaling that of a new car. Nearby states offer their voter files for free or at a much more reasonable fee.

Rather than focus on desperately needed reform, Alabama’s political leaders have instead promoted the myth of voter fraud, particularly in-person voter fraud – despite numerous studies finding that such fraud is virtually nonexistent. (One of the most comprehensive studies found one instance of fraud for every 32 million votes cast.) Nevertheless, Alabama officials continue to stoke voter fraud fears that are simply not supported by facts. Their claims do little beyond justifying policies that put the ballot box out of reach of many eligible voters, particularly those who are young, low-income or from communities of color....
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:21 pm

I may break my longstanding nothing ever political with my fox watching sisters and send them this.

It's shameful that anyone could still support him.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

The art of the deal right there:

Open your big fat mouth and shoot from the hip rather than act and think and analyze the situation and make an informed statement/decision.

Trump leads the nation in the same manner I post on BRD.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Our new bff russia has been such a blessing.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/foreign-a ... er-attacks

I wonder if the delayed response from trump had anything to do with putin.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:59 am
The art of the deal right there:

Open your big fat mouth and shoot from the hip rather than act and think and analyze the situation and make an informed statement/decision.

Trump leads the nation in the same manner I post on BRD.
You are far more thoughtful and insightful.

Whack9 fot Potus!
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

"I didn't feel different. I've always known this is a.. this is a real..this is a pandemic. I've felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic, all you have to do is look at other countries... No, I always viewed it as very serious," Trump said....
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:47 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:21 pm
I may break my longstanding nothing ever political with my fox watching sisters and send them this.

It's shameful that anyone could still support him.
Good luck with that. Let us know.

I thought about creating a Just the Facts & Not the Alternative Facts topic just covering 45SHOLE and other right-winger CV-19 BS, but the sheer volume is overwhelming and really fucked up. Just a single Yahoo! news page might have links to 5 articles about the wingnuttery, and we've probably posted dozens here. Sigh, not gonna bother but what a travesty for historians to parse. I found this:
On the Political Right, Anger and Suspicion Over Virus Precautions

When Deborah Frank Feinen, the mayor of Champaign, Illinois, drafted an emergency powers declaration Thursday to confront the coronavirus pandemic, she was proud of her city’s early preparation. But by the time she got to work the next morning, the National Rifle Association had blared a “national alert” saying “anti-gun extremists” were moving “to undermine our firearms freedom.”

The city government was soon under siege.

“We were talking about how to get food to kids when schools were closed, and suddenly I’m getting Facebook messages about how I’m violating the Constitution and taking away people’s rights,” Feinen said in an interview. Now, in addition to working on plans for fire and police departments, emergency supplies, and helping small businesses weather state-mandated closures, “I’m obsessively looking at my email, checking for threats.”

Keen to defend President Donald Trump from criticism and portray virus-related warnings as politically motivated fear-mongering, conservative organizations, media and Trump loyalists are undermining state and local government efforts to convey accurate information and protect their constituents.

An NBC News-Wall Street Journal poll conducted last week found that 81% of Republican voters said Trump has done well in handling the coronavirus crisis, and 84% of Democrats said the opposite. More than half of Republicans — 54% — worried that government will go too far in responding to the crisis, while just 31% of Democrats did, according to the poll.

Trump’s Republican loyalists, including Rep. Devin Nunes of California, Gov. Kevin Stitt of Oklahoma, Gov. Jim Justice of West Virginia and others, have made statements contradicting or flouting public health experts’ guidance....
Bastards. People will die, albeit many con but their stupidity steepens the curve to a swamped healthcare system and affects 'herd immunity' for everyone.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

and people pretend that the voters are smart enough to send him packing

84% of repugs think he's doing a good job responding to Coronavirus

GoCubsGo
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:05 pm

Maybe not.

Even Rasmussen has him at 46%.
President Trump's approval rating has seen a five point decline from its recent all-time high amid the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic, a new Gallup poll has found.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

bannination wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:36 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:22 pm
Well guys, I finally caved and ordered internet service. Just hope the COVID doesn't sneak into the Wack9 household through them internet tubes.
Good link. I'm sure everyone has it, but you might consider putting it in the 1st post on the 1st page, or in a place of its own.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... in-us.html

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:33 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Maybe not.

President Trump's approval rating has seen a five point decline from its recent all-time high amid the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic, a new Gallup poll has found.

I've become so damn cynical since he was elected. I do hope that you are right.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:41 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:33 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Maybe not.

I've become so damn cynical since he was elected. I do hope that you are right.
In his press briefing, he seems pretty down trodden. For a man obsessed with "numbers", the stock market crashing is probably hitting him in the only place that can feel pain (his ego) since this is the one thing he's been non stop boasting about.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Maybe they're starting to eat their own...

"Enraged Trump Blames Jared Kushner For Coronavirus Ineptitude"

https://www.politicususa.com/2020/03/18 ... itude.html

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:51 pm

That was just a matter of time.

Kinda curious how Ivanka is self quarantined but Jared is not. What's up with that?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:

viewtopic.php?p=113187#p113187
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:01 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:33 am
Before it's all over he may actually have more books written about him than anyone else.

He's a job creator.
That's probably true with just counting books by disgruntled former employees and govt staff alone.

I thought I came up with a great name for a book about him but MDC, who I saw at the 1984! DNC protests in SF, beat me to it in 2017:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAXZZ1Tsj28
Jared will write a doozy!
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:03 pm

Kinda curious how Ivanka is self quarantined but Jared is not. What's up with that?
Reptiles are immune.
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:09 pm
O Really wrote:

Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Before it's all over he may actually have more books written about him than anyone else.

He's a job creator.
That's probably true with just counting books by disgruntled former employees and govt staff alone.

I thought I came up with a great name for a book about him but MDC, who I saw at the 1984! DNC protests in SF, beat me to it in 2017:
GoCubsGo wrote:

Reptiles are immune.
Consuming the souls of the poors renders one immune.

O Really
Admiral

Could you paint a more stark difference in a leader and a leader*

Canada and the United States have agreed to restrict non-essential travel across the border as both countries try to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus — but they insist key supplies will still flow between the two nations.

U.S. President Donald Trump first tweeted the news Wednesday morning. Soon afterward, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau held a news conference to announce that travellers will no longer be able to cross the border for recreational and tourism purposes.

"These measures will last in place as long as we feel they need to last," he told reporters from outside his home at Rideau Cottage, on the grounds of Rideau Hall in Ottawa, where he's in self-isolation.

Trump: Tweets about something of international importance. Still shakes hands and wanders around in crowds. Talks about "we'll be fine" in 30 days.

Trudeau: Holds news conference, with live reporters, takes questions. Gives no arbitrary goals or promises. Does so while voluntarily holed up in isolation.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:09 pm
O Really wrote:

Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

He's a job creator.

GoCubsGo wrote:

Reptiles are immune.
Probably just a carrier.

O Really
Admiral