The LEO thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by mike »

O Really wrote:
Thanks for your contribution on a topic other than, umm, you know.
Here's what I found interesting the the article of what appears to be egregious misbehavior, certainly liable for investigation, good chance of being found way into the wrong. And yet, predictably, a knee-jerk right wing yahoo chirps up right away in comments with, "This is what happens when you keep giving the government more and more power. The American government has no fear of the people and will continue to do what ever they want. Stop !!! voting in laws that give the government more power!!" As if "the government" had sometime or another passed a law allowing local cops to shoot mentally challenged people at will. Damn, no wonder teabaggers get elected.
I think Homophobic actually stumbled upon a cause the left has already taken up.
Who would have figured (although, admittedly, Homophobic never offered any commentary)?

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

Vrede wrote:
Interesting, less than a month ago homerfobe posted "You won't get a positive LEO story from these anti-cop, anti-government, pro-perversion, wops," (pg. 12) when in fact we've been posting both positive and negative stories about them all along. Then, with his first ever topical post in this thread homerfobe posts a very negative video about cops. What a strange duck he is.

More on the Dallas shooting:

Charges dropped against man shot by Dallas police
You still mad because I called you a wop? You'll get over it. Yep, I'm strange, but no duck. Red-blooded, not pink-blooded.
There were several stories posted about this shooting. All headlined that the man was murdered. A paragraph in your link says
"Bennett, 52, remains in the intensive care unit at Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas after being shot in the abdomen outside his home in the southeast Dallas neighborhood of Rylie."
Wish they'd get their shit together.
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

homerfobe
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Your welcome. You all bring it up and praise it, I'll comment on it in my 'in your face' manner.

homerfobe
Ensign

Vrede wrote:
homerfobe wrote:You still mad because I called you a wop?...

Mad? It was stupid and probably indicated that you didn't know what the word means. I have no Italian blood so I couldn't care less. Then, it was also hilarious that you screwed up so big by saying we'd never post anything positive about cops when we already had and never admitted your lie, wuss.
I know what wop means, idiot. Let me clue you in since you're so sensitive about name calling. WOP was a term directed at anyone who immigrated to the US without papers; that is to say WOP was stamped on top of documents indicating their arrival prior to processing. Since Italians were the largest group of immigrants without papers, the name WOP stuck to them. A wop can be anyone including you because you are so stupid and are always ready to jump someone's ass about something or you call them a liar to make yourself shine. Sort of like a kid on the playground who is always trying to better everyone else to impress the other kids. That's what you are, a selfish spoiled shitass wuss.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

homerfobe wrote:
O Really wrote:
Your welcome. You all bring it up and praise it, I'll comment on it in my 'in your face' manner.
If by "it" you refer to support for equal rights under the law for all citizens, you can bet we'll keep bringing it up. Feel free to continue to miss the point and showcase your personal demons. We'd be disappointed if you didn't.

O Really
Admiral

One buys groceries for a shoplifter with hungry kids...one steals shoes.

http://now.msn.com/jessica-robles-caugh ... em-for-her

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2013/10 ... raid.html/

O Really
Admiral

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/calif ... 3-year-old

Opps. Cops seem to be a bit jumpy. They used to wait until the evil doer at least pointed his gun their way. And sure, we can say the kid should have dropped his piece, but still...

O Really
Admiral

Tragic story here... http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20 ... -take-week
(officer drives off the bridge formerly known as Smoky Park)
Equally sad and tragic as the mother and daughter killed in a traffic accident earlier in the week. There did seem to be some similarities, though. Like in both instances, witnesses said the driver was going well over the speed limit and passing cars, and neither of them had lights or sirens going.

I'm pretty sure the police department would have known if he was chasing somebody, and would have said so. I'm pretty sure the police department would have a dispatch record if he had been sent on call.

The officer may have been a great cop, and he may be a hero for other things, but getting into a traffic accident while speeding in a known and obvious dangerous area doesn't make him a hero. It makes him the same as the mother and daughter - an avoidable traffic fatality.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:Tragic story here... http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20 ... -take-week
(officer drives off the bridge formerly known as Smoky Park)
I'm pretty sure the police department would have known if he was chasing somebody, and would have said so. I'm pretty sure the police department would have a dispatch record if he had been sent on call.

The officer may have been a great cop, and he may be a hero for other things, but getting into a traffic accident while speeding in a known and obvious dangerous area doesn't make him a hero. It makes him the same as the mother and daughter - an avoidable traffic fatality.
Yes, it's certainly a tragic event. And, yes, the police department without doubt has radio records to indicate whether he was in pursuit or whatever his status was at the time. I myself fought this, and won, with the Buncombe County Sheriff Department back in 09. As Rod Stewart would say "I was accused." When asked to produce radio traffic records, they said they were "unavailable." Case dismissed. The state police are investigating it; we'll see what we'll see. I'm wondering if the moderately publicized and rabidly rumored problems with morale and the chief, etc. are in any way a part of this, too.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Vrede wrote:
Wneglia wrote:Fingering a Suspect
We're discussing the event here, too: http://blueridgedebate.com/viewtopic.ph ... start=1420

Not that I'm complaining, just thought you'd like to know.

Thanks. I missed that. I 'll bet he winds up with a buttload of money.

:mrgreen:

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote:Tragic story here... http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20 ... -take-week
Evidently, only AC/T has the video in your link, but try as I might, I can not watch it because I don't subscribe to their online subscription, (I guess).
neoplacebo wrote: "Yes, it's certainly a tragic event. And, yes, the police department without doubt has radio records to indicate whether he was in pursuit or whatever his status was at the time."
I thought that was odd too. Of all the news reports, nothing was said about whether he was following procedure or not. The only thing we can speculate
is that he wasn't, due to eyewitness reports. Maybe the State Patrol will release their findings when the dust settles and/or all the various insurance claims have been settled.

At ay rate, it's sad when an LEO loses his life in the performance of his duties.

Edward32 is 10-42......

O Really
Admiral

Mr.B wrote:
At ay rate, it's sad when an LEO loses his life in the performance of his duties.

Edward32 is 10-42......
It is. It is sad when anybody loses their life and their family loses a father, mother, or child. But this guy was (apparently) doing exactly the same thing the woman was doing last week when she was going too fast for conditions, tried to pass somebody, and ended up getting killed along with her mother. Where are their parades? "In the performance of his duties" might mean getting shot by a bad guy, killed in an arrest, etc. It doesn't make him a hero to get into a traffic accident. (Not that he might have been a really good cop and a good guy).

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Let's look at this death penalty case. How many think this predator should not be executed?
Ohio’s Gov. Kasich declines to block execution by untried lethal drug injection for killer

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio’s governor has refused to spare the condemned killer of a 3-year-old girl ahead of a scheduled execution under the state’s untried lethal injection system.

Gov. John Kasich without comment on Thursday denied the request for mercy by Ronald Phillips. He is sentenced to die for the 1993 rape and murder of his girlfriend’s 3-year-old daughter.

A federal judge earlier Thursday also declined to block the execution.

The 40-year-old Phillips is set to die Nov. 14 by lethal injection with a drug combination never used before in the U.S.

Attorneys for Phillips argued he was sexually, physically and verbally abused as a child.
(does this mean it was OK then that he killed this child?)

The state said Phillips long denied being abused and raised the issue only as his execution was imminent.

The Ohio Parole Board recommended against mercy.
BTW....he's white.

Last edited by Mr.B on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ombudsman
Ensign

Unread post by Ombudsman »

Here's a great story about arming underpaid, poorly educated, donut devouring hicks and calling them LEOs.

Dad Calls Cops on Son to Teach Him a Lesson, Cops Shoot Son Dead
Wing nuts. Not just for breakfast anymore.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede wrote: If the article tells the accurate and complete story they staked the place out since June in order to bust him in November. Where else but a donut shop would get that kind of cop commitment?
Reading the source article, it would appear he was there most every day. But I think what really got them interested and him in trouble was the gun waving. If, when they first turned him down he had just started going to another store, nobody probably would have ever made an issue. I wonder what made the doughnut guy suspicious in the first place. What - don't real cops eat doughnuts? And why would the employee care enough to check?

Ombudsman
Ensign

Unread post by Ombudsman »

To Protect and Serve and Stalk
Police: Officer used police records to meet, stalk woman

GREENVILLE, N.C. —Greenville police have arrested one of their officers after they say he used records to meet and stalk a woman.

The Daily Reflector of Greenville reports the police said 58-year-old officer Carlos E. Melgar of Greenville was arrested at the Pitt County Magistrate's office on the misdemeanor charge.
Read more: http://www.wyff4.com/news/north-carolin ... z2m2h9H2qW

Why is this just a misdemeanor?
Wing nuts. Not just for breakfast anymore.

Supsalemgr
Major

Unread post by Supsalemgr »

Vrede wrote:Law enforcement in the *ahem* private sector:
Meet George Zoley, America’s Highest Paid “Corrections Officer”

The Center for Media and Democracy’s (CMD) series of profiles on “America’s Highest Paid Government Workers” today puts the spotlight on George Zoley, Chief Executive Officer of GEO Group, one of America’s largest for-profit prison firms providing services to states and the federal government.

George ZoleyGEO Group’s revenue in 2012 exceeded $1.4 billion and CMD estimates that 86% of this money came out of the pockets of taxpayers. CMD’s investigation of GEO Group unearthed how the company’s cost-cutting strategies lead to a vicious cycle where lower wages and benefits for workers, high employee turnover, insufficient training, and under-staffing results in poor oversight and mistreatment of detained persons, increased violence, and riots.

But according to SEC filings, top officials at the firm are doing just fine. From 2008-2012 George C. Zoley raked in $22 million in compensation. Thank you taxpayers!...
I missed the part where GEO Group held a gun to the head of the governmental entities that contracted them. If you don't own stock with GEO Group it is none of your business how much Zoley is paid. If one your own local governments contracted with GEO Group and you don't like it, take it up with them. Otherwise STFU about it.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Wow, the people running the prisons are the ones that should be *in* prison.

O Really
Admiral

GEO Group, like CCA (Corrections Corporation of America) are pretty slimey in a lot of their business practices. But the real financial issue would not be whether the CEO's take an obscene amount of money from the corporation, or whether 86% of the revenue is tax money. Of course it is mostly tax money. They get paid to do work the various governments would have to do and pay for anyway. The issue is whether overall it's a better deal for the governments than doing it themselves. And whether we (collectively) like having rights of citizens farmed out to for-profit industry. I'd vote not to do that, but the issue doesn't come up for a vote.