The Question Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by O Really »

Seth Milner wrote: Generally though, the Brits consider Americans to be "boorish" and uncultured. What do they know?
[/quote]
A lot of Americans are boorish and uncultured. Some Brits are culture snobs - absolutely certain that only 250 years isn't near long enough to turn "the colonies" into a real country. And when you can visit York, close to my mum's original home town, and go into York Minster to see names of Archbishops going back to 600-something, maybe they have a point.

But etiquette - manners overall - are part of an entire culture, not formed just by what some "ugly American" might do. US manners are more casual than in some other countries, and have incorporated many aspects from the people who have come here from somewhere else. You won't be tossed out of the dinner party if you change your fork to your right hand, or eat your meat with your left. They'll let you into the theatre wearing no tie. A lot of the manners (mannerisms) you seem to like in the UK were developed to distinguish the upper crust from the riff-raff. While there is some of that in the US, there is, in most places, more of an egalitarian culture. Not that that applies at Augusta National or similar places dedicated to ostentatious display of upturned snouts.

O Really
Admiral

JTA wrote: If my forefathers didn't fight against the king o' England back in the day we'd all be speaking English right now.

To hell with what they think!
Damn right! And driving on the wrong side of the road.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Seth Milner wrote:Generally though, the Brits consider Americans to be "boorish" and uncultured.
The Brits are polite and cultured, just like the Japanese.

"I had the great good fortune to live in Japan for about 8 or 9 months, back in the mid 80s. Being a Brit, it was a delightful pleasure to return to the traditional values that served the British Empire well - misogyny, rampant xenophobia, a hierarchical class system beyond belief and a blind obedience to ill-deserved authority."
- Spike Young

Trump, Cruz, Huckabee, Santorum and the rest want America to return to the same traditional values.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Nothing says 'manners' like English soccer hooliganship.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

JTA wrote:Do you guys sometimes wish hats would make a comeback?
A picture of a crowd in New York, 1939 (there is not one unhatted head)

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

rstrong wrote:
JTA wrote:Do you guys sometimes wish hats would make a comeback?
A picture of a crowd in New York, 1939 (there is not one unhatted head)
none of this chicken in every pot repug bullshit, it was a hat for every head, thanks to fdr
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

billy.pilgrim wrote:...it was a hat for every head, thanks to fdr
Or a pigeon problem.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

rstrong wrote:A picture of a crowd in New York, 1939 (there is not one unhatted head)
Hell, back then they wouldn't even go begging at a soup kitchen without wearing a tie and a hat.
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

rstrong wrote:
Or a pigeon problem.

due to all the repug chickens filling every pot, the people quit eating the pigeons. Which goes to prove that welfare handouts of any kind disrupt the delicate natural balance of a free market society living in harmony with the environment.

Give a man a chicken, he will eat well tonight; teach a man to catch a pigeon, he will eat every night. - just please don't tell him that the rest of the country is eating steak.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

billy.pilgrim wrote: Give a man a chicken, he will eat well tonight; teach a man to catch a pigeon, he will eat every night. -
just please don't tell him that the rest of the country is eating steak.
You may have just hit on something there, billy. Homeless in major cities, massive pigeon populations, rescue missions and soup kitchens . . .
put them all together and what have you got? A solution maybe?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Seth Milner wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote: Give a man a chicken, he will eat well tonight; teach a man to catch a pigeon, he will eat every night. -
You may have just hit on something there, billy. Homeless in major cities, massive pigeon populations, rescue missions and soup kitchens . . .
and the money we save on hats can go to skin cancer related health care

another very real advantage of single payer health care is the ability of citizens to pass costs of involvement with proven health hazards directly to those who choose to smoke, drink excessively, eat hydrogenated fats etc. We already do pass some cost associated with smoking into insurance premiums, but others - such as unhealthy fats - can have a user tax. Not sure if it went into effect but France was working on a tax on palm oil that would have greatly increased the price of certain unhealthy foods - Nutella was the big one - you are still free to eat twinkies smothered in Nutella, but you get to pay for your health care up front, rather than be a burden on those who choose a healthier lifestyle.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Seth Milner wrote:
and the money we save on hats can go to skin cancer related health care . . . another very real advantage of single payer health care . . .
You lost me on that one. :-0?> My hint was that pigeons, being nothing more than a midget chicken, and their numbers are voluminous, could be cooked up by rescue missions and soup kitchens and eaten. Just a thought.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

rstrong wrote:
Or a pigeon problem.

start here seth

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

billy.pilgrim wrote: start here seth
With the pigeon problem or the single payer health care ? :lol:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Seth Milner wrote:

all is one

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Seth Milner wrote:
all is one
Got it! :thumbsup:

O Really
Admiral

So for several reasons, I've dragged on installing Windows 10. Most of those reasons have been resolved, so I thought I'd go ahead and do it. But then I find out Windows Media Player is not included in Win10, and apparently there is no direct substitute. I use Windows Media Player to rip audio books from CD and load them to my mobile.

For anybody who's using 10, is there anything built-in that will do this? Or if not, any suggestions?

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

O Really wrote:So for several reasons, I've dragged on installing Windows 10. Most of those reasons have been resolved, so I thought I'd go ahead and do it. But then I find out Windows Media Player is not included in Win10, and apparently there is no direct substitute. I use Windows Media Player to rip audio books from CD and load them to my mobile.

For anybody who's using 10, is there anything built-in that will do this? Or if not, any suggestions?
I decided what the hell and began the install procedure. Get a pop-up stating Nvidia did not make my display compatible with W10; then gives me a site to price new computers...... :bs:

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

O Really wrote:So for several reasons, I've dragged on installing Windows 10. Most of those reasons have been resolved, so I thought I'd go ahead and do it. But then I find out Windows Media Player is not included in Win10, and apparently there is no direct substitute. I use Windows Media Player to rip audio books from CD and load them to my mobile.

I use VLC Media Player for both playing and streaming, and for converting video to different formats. It seems to be the go-to app on the internet.

I'm sure it'll rip CDs too, but I haven't needed to do so in the last decade.

Ignore the Windows 10 VLC app. It's missing most of the features.

O Really
Admiral

Thanks - turns out it's the Media Center that's not there. The Media Player 12 is apparently still there in its same incarnation as on my 8.1.

Yeah, I know - ripping CD's is so 90's. But it's a great process for audio books. Go to the library, get books, load to mobile, play anywhere. I sometimes download from the library, too, but still use Media Player to save it.